Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Irish Joe posted:

6-8 for me, but only to justify my gross eating habits.

So this is you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The movie is a stone-cold classic but I can see how somebody who never saw it until after the show aired would be put off by the difference in tone and content if they were expecting it be exactly like the show.

I can envision a world where someone likes the Fargo tv series more despite the Fargo movie being one of the greatest movies ever made, but I cannot envision a world where someone likes/loves the tv series and hates the movie, which is what I was talking about

It literally makes no sense to me

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They just really hate Steve Buscemi. Looking at him immediately sends them into convulsions.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
That's pretty much why Buscemi's character in The Big Lebowski exists. Catharsis for how annoying his Fargo character was.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Fateo McMurray posted:

The Leftovers is ok. You'll hate it if you need everything explained or are a dummy who was set on hating it before you even watch it. Which it seems most people were so they could post about how right they were about not liking it.

I didn't like Lost so I'm staying away from The Leftovers. Life's too short to spend it hate-watching.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lycus posted:

Post bullshit on TVIV: ?

I don't even want to think about how much time I set aside for that.

That's what the full time job part is for. :v:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

IRQ posted:

That's what the full time job part is for. :v:

If my boss knew how much of my workday was spent on the forums I would be out the door in a split second.

Thug life.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Bown posted:

Ahh yes, I'm sure every goon here exercises 1-2 hours a day

I work out an hour a day, but your average goon sir earns a different sort of gains.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

PantsBandit posted:

Key and Peele isn't improv though. They have the luxury of being able to spend as much time as they want writing their sketches so there should be more humor to it than just one little thing. When Chappelle did stuff like the black Klan member, there were other jokes and wordplay interlaced throughout. In comparison, Key and Peele do a sketch about how baseball players like to slap each others asses and, like you said, just keep escalating that one concept. There isn't really anything else to it, it's just increasing the absurdity of the one joke.

It's not improv, but it's based on improv concepts and forms. (Ian Roberts, a UCB founding member, is an executive producer and writer, and I believe that like the UCB, they base a lot of their sketches on games they found in improv sessions.) But it's ok if you don't like it, it's not for everyone. To be honest the show has never really been my cup of tea either, but I understand what they're trying to do comedically and I can at least appreciate it on that level. It's not like some other shows where I'm baffled as to why people even think or thought they were close to funny (your Mencias of the world, for instance.)

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Am I reading right, people spend time scheduling their TV watching time in the age of internet?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I didn't like Lost so I'm staying away from The Leftovers. Life's too short to spend it hate-watching.

So far none of the negative things about it resemble LOST in any way other than the characters are about as well-drawn as on your typical network drama so

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

PantsBandit posted:

Key and Peele isn't improv though. They have the luxury of being able to spend as much time as they want writing their sketches so there should be more humor to it than just one little thing. When Chappelle did stuff like the black Klan member, there were other jokes and wordplay interlaced throughout. In comparison, Key and Peele do a sketch about how baseball players like to slap each others asses and, like you said, just keep escalating that one concept. There isn't really anything else to it, it's just increasing the absurdity of the one joke.

To continue with the Baseball sketch example: the sketch is probably around 6 minutes long. It starts with the guy wanting to slap someone's rear end, then his teammates get mad at him about it. They continue to get madder until they drag him away. There's nothing really "funny" about it other than the guy being really obsessed with slapping rear end.

Who cares if it's not the same style as Chappelle, not every comedy show with black actors has to follow his lead. It's okay to not like the joke, but if you don't think even Chappelle's Show had its bombs then you have some serious rose-colored glasses going on.

It's possible to enjoy both for different reasons, I like how Key and Peele is unapologetically absurd and retarded because it kind of reminds me of the good seasons of In Living Color.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The slap-rear end sketch is really bad though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The Luigi meme is officially run into the ground. Pack it up, boys.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Well, I guess the arbiter has spoken.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Bown posted:

The slap-rear end sketch is really bad though.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Key & Peele started getting better about not dragging their sketches out too long around the same time they started bringing back characters and sketches often enough to be annoying. Two steps forward, one step back.

I still like them because they're the only sketch comedy show with actual production values worth a drat.

Please don't post pictures of me in this thread.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Are you in the gif or just your fursona?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

hcreight posted:

Are you in the gif or just your fursona?

Yes.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Imo, Key and Peele's best sketch is Inner-City Wizard School: http://vimeo.com/channels/keypeele/54162829

Or Continental Breakfast.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

raditts posted:

Who cares if it's not the same style as Chappelle, not every comedy show with black actors has to follow his lead. It's okay to not like the joke, but if you don't think even Chappelle's Show had its bombs then you have some serious rose-colored glasses going on.

It's possible to enjoy both for different reasons, I like how Key and Peele is unapologetically absurd and retarded because it kind of reminds me of the good seasons of In Living Color.

I'm not comparing it to Chappelle show because they're both hosted by black comedians. I'm comparing it to Chappelle show because it is a sketch comedy show, interspersed with stage dialogue/monologues and it's actually pretty watchable (unlike Mind of Mencia.) And yeah, the Chappelle Show definitely had bombs. They were just far more rare.

Really, I don't think it's a bad show, it's generally pretty watchable. I just don't think it's really worthy of the level of praise it gets.

Edit: This:

Ravane posted:

Imo, Key and Peele's best sketch is Inner-City Wizard School: http://vimeo.com/channels/keypeele/54162829

Is pretty loving funny though.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 9, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ravane posted:

Ahaha, holy poo poo, I somehow missed that episode. That's fantastic.

My favorite sketch is "Front Hand Back Hand" though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGAMbNKcN1U

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just finished the pilot of The Last Ship. The premise excited me, possibly because it evoked the best parts of Last Resort, and while the pilot isn't as good, it's quite watchable. Part of me wishes they had a more capable vessel than a destroyer, but I guess that only leaves a battleship and aircraft carrier, possibly a nuclear submarine.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

Just finished the pilot of The Last Ship. The premise excited me, possibly because it evoked the best parts of Last Resort, and while the pilot isn't as good, it's quite watchable. Part of me wishes they had a more capable vessel than a destroyer, but I guess that only leaves a battleship and aircraft carrier, possibly a nuclear submarine.

There's also the Marine helicarriers and Aegis cruisers.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
What's the general opinion on The 100? CW has cranked out some of the best (if cheesiest) stuff on TV lately with Nikita (well, the first two seasons) and Arrow. I remember hearing mixed reactions along the lines of "good ideas but meh TV".

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
It's surprisingly decent. You can tell early on it takes a few episodes to find their footing with some characterization. But they manage to turn it around quickly and make an interesting lower-budget post-apocalypse show.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Ravane posted:

This is my other favorite sketch, for as dumb as the premise is, I can't help but laugh everytime I see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss College East/West Bowl, and the sequel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT1nGjGM2p8

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

VagueRant posted:

What's the general opinion on The 100? CW has cranked out some of the best (if cheesiest) stuff on TV lately with Nikita (well, the first two seasons) and Arrow. I remember hearing mixed reactions along the lines of "good ideas but meh TV".

It's watchable, but not what I'd call good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

At least it's not slow, am I right?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That's true.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In The 100 the planet is irradiated. So when they go exploring the wilderness the song "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons plays.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

This is my other favorite sketch, for as dumb as the premise is, I can't help but laugh everytime I see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss College East/West Bowl, and the sequel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT1nGjGM2p8

I really don't get the popularity of these. "Look at all these funny phrases and imagine they were names! Because football players have funny names!"

Continental breakfast is one of my absolute favourites though. The main thing I don't like is when they take a really specific premise and run with it for about five minutes. The slap-rear end is one example but one of the worst is the sketch that's seemingly all about 'the guy who says "noice!!" when someone does a good breakdance move'.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mu Zeta posted:

In The 100 the planet is irradiated. So when they go exploring the wilderness the song "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons plays.

Yes, that is the first episode, it actually got better after that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Key is like the black Fred Armisen. Armisen is constantly on SNL, has his own show, is a regular on another show, frequently appears in movies, does the voice of Speedy Gonzales. and still finds time to be awful on Seth Meyer's late night show every night.

Uh, Fred Armisen is black.

Otherwise it would be really dumb to have him play Obama.

He's also Arab, Mexican, White, Indian (both kinds) and a woman.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I watched the first two and thought, "This is more of a binge in a lazy hot weekend show" so I'm waiting for it to go on Netflix.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

VagueRant posted:

The teen stuff on the ground takes a while to stop being stupid, but it's compensated by the orbital hijinks aboard the SS Malthus Was Right. It's like someone snuck some vaguely-hard-SF into an otherwise standard CW show, plus it's nice to see so many Battlestar Galatcica alumi back aboard a grimy spaceship.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

I have a decent tolerance for CW-ness but Arrow using Radioactive as makeout music in the season 1 finale was the funniest poo poo.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I have a decent tolerance for CW-ness but Arrow using Radioactive as makeout music in the season 1 finale was the funniest poo poo.

I actually sort of liked that because I think that particular relationship is horribly toxic, and that makeout was a bad idea on both their parts.
Olicity all the loving way. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

PantsBandit posted:

I'm not comparing it to Chappelle show because they're both hosted by black comedians. I'm comparing it to Chappelle show because it is a sketch comedy show, interspersed with stage dialogue/monologues and it's actually pretty watchable (unlike Mind of Mencia.) And yeah, the Chappelle Show definitely had bombs. They were just far more rare.

Really, I don't think it's a bad show, it's generally pretty watchable. I just don't think it's really worthy of the level of praise it gets.

Okay, that's fair. Just that the last time a comparison came up between the two people were criticizing K&P for not being "threatening" enough, which is a concept that really grinds my loving gears.

To add to the list, the Magical Negro wizard battle sketch was loving hilarious too.
http://vimeo.com/channels/keypeele/39116336

Bown posted:

I really don't get the popularity of these. "Look at all these funny phrases and imagine they were names! Because football players have funny names!"

It's because despite the names becoming more and more ridiculous, they're still not as ridiculous as some actual players' names.

I like the sequel because references to the Super Bowl Shuffle are never not funny to me.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Yes, that is the first episode, it actually got better after that.

Let's be real, it only gets "better" in the way that Agents of SHIELD got "better" after the Captain America tie-in. Which is to say, "not that much unless you want to actively fool yourself."

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 9, 2014

• Locked thread