Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

"They said it was just a video game but I knew better. After all, my Dad's job was to search for life on other planets, although many version of the events he witnessed made their way out into the media. That was just security doing it's job but who could keep a secret that big, right? Anyways, this is what my dad said really happened."

:psyduck:

I don't...even. What? No individial part of that makes any sense nor does it go with any other part of it. It's just pure gibberish.

I hope Ken Pender's kids are well adjusted now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

axleblaze posted:

"They said it was just a video game but I knew better. After all, my Dad's job was to search for life on other planets, although many version of the events he witnessed made their way out into the media. That was just security doing it's job but who could keep a secret that big, right? Anyways, this is what my dad said really happened."

:psyduck:

I don't...even. What? No individial part of that makes any sense nor does it go with any other part of it. It's just pure gibberish.

This pitch was made in 2006. Meaning all the Dreamcast/PS2 generation games were already out and the Sonic X anime as on the air. Instead this pitch is meant to use a film to attract more readers to the Archie comic he was fired from that year.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Why would a character that is defined by going fast on foot need a hoverboard?

That's like if Superman got around in a helicopter.

There are several Sonic racing games and he's only on foot in the first one.

It's pretty bad.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

You do realize that word of mouth screenings like that over sell the theater to ensure it's full, right? Getting there early doesn't get you squat, especially if they have press watching too. (also they don't like to hold them in theaters of more than 200 because keeping it exclusive means a full house every tme)
Yep! I've been going to them on and off for like....2 or 3 years? Usually getting there an hour early means you'll get a spot with no problem. At least, that's been the case with every other one I've been to so far. When they turned us away tonight, there were at least 100 of us that didn't get in.

Also every one I've been to has been in a theater of more than 200. And I've been to a bunch of them.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 9, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's like if Superman got around in a helicopter.

I never knew how badly I wanted to see this until you said it.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yep! I've been going to them on and off for like....2 or 3 years? Usually getting there an hour early means you'll get a spot with no problem. At least, that's been the case with every other one I've been to so far. When they turned us away tonight, there were at least 100 of us that didn't get in.

Also every one I've been to has been in a theater of more than 200. And I've been to a bunch of them.

They probably figured you weren't going to put your phone away.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 9, 2014

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

"[u posted:

Pinball![/u] by Roger Sharpe"][Pinball manufacturer and pioneer David] Gottlieb went where the railroads took him. Like so many other ambitious young men on the move, Gottlieb was part carnie, part gambler, part fast-talking drummer, always on the lookout for better ways to make a dollar. He gave up punch boards for an opportunity to show the new D.W. Griffith films to audiences in towns too small to have a movie theater. With one of his brothers, Gottlieb toured Texas in a Model T Ford, setting up his movie projector in the local town halls. Birth of a Nation and Intolerance were popular, but Gottlieb soon discovered a sure way to draw even bigger crowds. At the end of every movie, he spliced in a few minutes of film showing the American flag waving in the breeze. The piano player would then break into a stirring rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner" while audiences stood and cheered. People passing by would hear the excitement, assume that the show was a smash, and be first in line for the following night's performance.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

They probably figured you weren't going to put your phone away.
Heh, I know you're joking but they usually make you check cell phones at the door with these events. They did last night for The Purge, too.

That's what started the whole joke in the first place. Months ago, I said I got a ticket to a free advanced screening for a movie I cared nothing about and joked that I couldn't even text through it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

General Ironicus posted:

Ken Penders used to write the Sonic the Hedgehog series for Archie comics, which was about as bad as you're thinking right now. He also populated the comic with over 200 characters, mostly Sonic color swaps and many generations of echidna that nobody could possibly care about, and has spent years suing people for the right to continue his stories with them. He also made a Sonic movie pitch way back when, which has just leaked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc2-fUf8wBs

E: Don't miss the companion powerpoint presentation: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B95glW8UeSnia2xuRWljQzFyTWc/

So where's the kickstarter I can throw my money at?

General Ironicus posted:

This pitch was made in 2006. Meaning all the Dreamcast/PS2 generation games were already out and the Sonic X anime as on the air. Instead this pitch is meant to use a film to attract more readers to the Archie comic he was fired from that year.

HAha, oh poo poo really, that recently? I was assuming this back in the 90s. drat.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 9, 2014

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Not to backtrack, but the trend of ultra-realistic CGI like in the new Turtles movie is against everything movies should be about. It's sick how people tolerate this move to eradicate fantasy.

Part of the fun of animation is being able to do anything.

Let's reflect on how the cel-animated characters of Who Framed Roger Rabbit are fully believable as inhabitants of Los Angeles. Yes, it's drawn animation, but you forget you're looking at animation composited into live action. Because the interaction works and it makes perfect logical sense. Make the CGI look less realistic and make it look real. That takes directing skills, acting prowness, and artistry. The turtles in the 1980s film look more real because the performers make you forget you're seeing actors in rubber suits.

Cinema is a magic trick, not a vacation slide show.

(Also, I recommend reading this post with Mark Cousins' voice in mind)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 9, 2014

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Egbert Souse posted:

Not to backtrack, but the trend of ultra-realistic CGI like in the new Turtles movie is against everything movies should be about. It's sick how people tolerate this move to eradicate fantasy.

Let's reflect on how the cel-animated characters of Who Framed Roger Rabbit are fully believable as inhabitants of Los Angeles. Yes, it's drawn animation, but you forget you're looking at animation composited into live action. Because the interaction works and it makes perfect logical sense. Make the CGI look less realistic and make it look real. That takes directing skills, acting prowness, and artistry. The turtles in the 1980s film look more real because the performers make you forget you're seeing actors in rubber suits.

Nah.

I mean, it's cool if you don't like it, but this is a whole bucket of crazy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's something to be said about the tendency for visual fidelity to rob the viewer of their powers of imagination, but yeah, that's not really the strongest argument.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I mean Roger Rabbit looks great because of the care that went into it, but I don't think there's ever a point I'm not aware I'm looking at cartoon characters, which is the point. I mean yeah realism isn't necessary to make a presence believable but it's also really distracting to have a special effect of something that's supposed to be something real and have it not look like that.

I'm not saying the Turtles have good designs but that really isn't so much to do with them being realist and more to do with them being horrifying designs.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The TMNTs look like mutant creatures in that movie, so I'm not against it.

Discount Viscount posted:

There are several Sonic racing games and he's only on foot in the first one.

It's pretty bad.

Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed is apparently really good. Like, Mario Kart good. You can even pay to race as a goon, and the money goes to charity!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The MSJ posted:

Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed is apparently really good. Like, Mario Kart good. You can even pay to race as a goon, and the money goes to charity!

Yeah, it's probably my favorite racing game I've played. The tracks are just sort of crazy with a blistering sense of speed. Sure it's dumb to have Sonic in a car, but I think the official explanation is that he does that so it's fair for the other racers.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The subtitle of that Sonic Trailer being revealed to be "Armageddon" was great

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Lance Henriksen's FB page used to be a treasure because he would update it himself. Somewhere along the line you could tell he got someone else to start doing it though.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, it's probably my favorite racing game I've played. The tracks are just sort of crazy with a blistering sense of speed. Sure it's dumb to have Sonic in a car, but I think the official explanation is that he does that so it's fair for the other racers.

B-b-ut my Sonic R canon!

I want to play Transformed but I want it on Wii U whenever I get around to that. Beyond being a good game I've become a sucker for well-executed fanservice in games where appropriate, and Sega is part of the trinity of game companies with a long and varied history (along with Capcom and Nintendo) and a certain knack for doing it in a way that shows a human being worked on the game and wants to amuse people.

Namco is also fairly good at it but don't have quite as many iconic characters and such outside of their 80s arcade stable.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

(Also, I recommend reading this post with Mark Cousins' voice in mind)

I hear you. Pumping up the rendering power to achieve maximum detail often strikes me as a either a compensatory tactic or just done out of cowardice because it's de rigueur for every second of a blockbuster to flaunt its cost. It's been demonstrated over and over in every visual medium how you can achieve almost infinite richness with very few graphic elements, if you have imagination and artistry. Busyness certainly can be an appropriate approach too, but I'm sympathetic to the idea that in childrens entertainment in particular it's better to leave some spaces unfilled so as to stimulate their imaginations. Not that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have ever stimulated anything except the "nag my parents to buy me some toys" portions of childs brains.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

penismightier posted:

Did you know Lance Henricksen was illiterate until age 30?

DNS posted:

Lance Henriksen's FB page used to be a treasure because he would update it himself. Somewhere along the line you could tell he got someone else to start doing it though.

I think it's funny with that context that the only posts he has up right now are about reading.

Did he delete his older ones?

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Facebook not twitter.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The only ones I've been to in smaller theaters were the indie films that have a gazillion free screenings for word of mouth, usually they fill the biggest theater to try to cram as many press people as possible, who almost never come to the films. In SF/SJ you need to get there at least 2 hours early for the mainstream ones, I went to Godzilla almost 3 hours early and barely got in. I think we've missed out 3 times for films due to crowds. I've only had to check my phone 4 times out of ~70 screenings, as the multiplexes don't have enough security people to do that every time (they usually just patrol while the film is playing and kick people out who are on their phones, though I've only seen that happen once) I only go to free screenings occasionally since my wife got a job as it's too hard to get back to SF in time, but certain films are priorities because I'm planning to see them regardless, so why not save a few bucks.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Have we discussed that loving terrible C&H fanfiction thing that's going around?

http://imgur.com/gallery/H5cJHc4/

People are actually moved by this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Criminal Minded posted:

Have we discussed that loving terrible C&H fanfiction thing that's going around?

It was mentioned, got derailed by Fahrenheit/Celsius wars. Apparently the best response to that was taken off clickhole, but if anyone has a link to another copy of the movie, I want to have a link on hand, in case it shows up in my Facebook feed.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Criminal Minded posted:

Can someone sum that up for me because I'm still too lazy to read it. I kind of skimmed it and I guess Calvin dies or something?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

Can someone sum that up for me because I'm still too lazy to read it. I kind of skimmed it and I guess Calvin dies or something?

I keep seeing a link to it, and every time I close the window after reading the title. I prefer the idea of Fight Club being a Calvin and Hobbes sequel.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

axleblaze posted:

"They said it was just a video game but I knew better. After all, my Dad's job was to search for life on other planets, although many version of the events he witnessed made their way out into the media. That was just security doing it's job but who could keep a secret that big, right?

That's almost exactly a plot that was used in Kim Possible.

That video is great, but the accompanied slideshow is even better. It's the perfect mixture of right property, wrong time, and wrong people.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Criminal Minded posted:

Ugh. If it was just a short story about a dying old man seeing his imaginary friend from childhood again, it would be sweet, but the shoehorned in C&H stuff really drags it down.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Somehow I managed to lose power for four hours from a storm that lasted less than five minutes. This happens at least three times every year.

I really hate living in the loving country.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

Somehow I managed to lose power for four hours from a storm that lasted less than five minutes. This happens at least three times every year.

I really hate living in the loving country.

Look on the bright side, all your roads, and a good chunk of the rest of your public services are paid for by the taxes of people in cities.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Skwirl posted:

Look on the bright side, all your roads, and a good chunk of the rest of your public services are paid for by the taxes of people in cities.

Country roads are pretty lovely most of the time. Source: my grandmother lives on a gravel road.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone happen to have the Anchor Bay DVD of Martin that they would be willing to sell me?

edit: The 1977 George Romero film, not the 90s sitcom starring Martin Lawrence.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 9, 2014

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Hey, what kinds of video editing software do y'all use? I've been messing around with the freeware version of Lightworks, which seems like a really nice setup, but getting one video to import properly much less several is proving impossible.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Criminal Minded posted:

I posted it and it makes me unreasonably angry. The writing is just so terrible and manipulative while being completely devoid of any recognizable aspect of the source.

I also hate how in all these "grown up Calvin" gan BS, he's always married or going out with Susie. It's like the internet isn't satisfied unless it ships.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Slice of Life: I know we have a lot of depression sufferers in this thread (I'm one)… Do any of you have really weird/random triggers? I ask because one of mine, of all things, is this song. It's this bouncy, happy, major-key song that makes me sad as hell as soon as I hear it. (For some reason, my brain associates it with the boy in the box, which is the saddest thing I've ever seen.) Of course I've had the loving song stuck in my head all day.

Does anybody else have this problem with weird depression triggers, or is it just me?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

CloseFriend posted:

Slice of Life: I know we have a lot of depression sufferers in this thread (I'm one)… Do any of you have really weird/random triggers? I ask because one of mine, of all things, is this song. It's this bouncy, happy, major-key song that makes me sad as hell as soon as I hear it. (For some reason, my brain associates it with the boy in the box, which is the saddest thing I've ever seen.) Of course I've had the loving song stuck in my head all day.

Does anybody else have this problem with weird depression triggers, or is it just me?

When I used to be depressed I would have bad days randomly triggered by seeing anything rainbow colored on an overcast day. I think it was because as a kid I had curtains with a rainbow pattern and when I first developed Seasonal Affective Disorder, without knowing it of course, I would just lie in bed staring at those drat curtains for hours.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright folks, gather round the campfire and let me tell you a story I like to call "Yoshifan and His New Coworker, the Scientologist"

So I go in to work today a little early because I'm in the area and hey, why the gently caress not, I'm working alone tonight, no one will be the wiser. I'm there for about a half hour, getting ready to do all of my baking, when I hear a knock at the door, so I go check it out, and it turns out, it's a cute girl, and she's going to be working with me on Wednesdays for the foreseeable future. This is a great turn of events. I'm a little stressed out, but now with two people, we're going to knock this out right quick. Through talking to her for the first couple hours, I learn that she used to work at a Dunkin Donuts until she traded up to our bakery, also works as a lifeguard, likes to smoke weed, likes reggae, the Police and Metallica, and that she's learning to play the drums. All cool. Then she starts talking about her free time, and she likes to listen to music and read books, and she's recently started reading about Dianetics. I pipe in, because I'm a member of Something Awful and have been well indoctrinated to hate anything L Ron related, and mention something about it being a cult. She gets kinda defensive, suggesting that the media and the "authority" is keeping it down (she really is not fond of the media or authority, which means she's a 19 year old who has smoked a decent amount of pot), along with something about truth and blah blah blah already my mental alarm is going "Oh gently caress, here comes some crazy poo poo." And it did, because at one point she uttered the words "the psychologists are running the government". Now, were this a normal crazy person, I'd just listen and laugh in my head while trying to be as outwardly respectful as possible.

However, when she started talking to me about her personal problems (she's a very open person, I guess because she doesn't really have a therapist to talk to, natch), I start to get a much clearer picture of exactly how this came to be. She had a blow-up with her family that led to them not talking to a while, and her moving out of the house after she graduated, she got kicked out of the first place she lived because ??? (I couldn't discern this, something to do with arguments), and ended up living with her drum teacher, a 50-something single dude with cancer of some sort, who is barely charging her for rent, teaching her about the whole Dianetics thing, and apparently being really creepy. She said something about his mind being intelligent, but his body staring at her "like your face is when you have a boner", which is kinda terrifying, and apparently in the recent past they got into some sort of argument, and later on he said something like "after you accused me of being creepy, my platelet count went down" (which is apparently a bad thing), which is a horrible manipulative thing to say.

Luckily, she realizes she's not in a good living situation (I recommended finding a place to live with another girl because she seemed to be kinda distrustful of men in general), and wants to get out, but still, holy gently caress. This girl has some weapons-grade crazy in her.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sounds dope.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The Law of Geekboy dictates you immediately start dating her and grow madly dependent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

Alright folks, gather round the campfire and let me tell you a story I like to call "Yoshifan and His New Coworker, the Scientologist"

So I go in to work today a little early because I'm in the area and hey, why the gently caress not, I'm working alone tonight, no one will be the wiser. I'm there for about a half hour, getting ready to do all of my baking, when I hear a knock at the door, so I go check it out, and it turns out, it's a cute girl, and she's going to be working with me on Wednesdays for the foreseeable future. This is a great turn of events. I'm a little stressed out, but now with two people, we're going to knock this out right quick. Through talking to her for the first couple hours, I learn that she used to work at a Dunkin Donuts until she traded up to our bakery, also works as a lifeguard, likes to smoke weed, likes reggae, the Police and Metallica, and that she's learning to play the drums. All cool. Then she starts talking about her free time, and she likes to listen to music and read books, and she's recently started reading about Dianetics. I pipe in, because I'm a member of Something Awful and have been well indoctrinated to hate anything L Ron related, and mention something about it being a cult. She gets kinda defensive, suggesting that the media and the "authority" is keeping it down (she really is not fond of the media or authority, which means she's a 19 year old who has smoked a decent amount of pot), along with something about truth and blah blah blah already my mental alarm is going "Oh gently caress, here comes some crazy poo poo." And it did, because at one point she uttered the words "the psychologists are running the government". Now, were this a normal crazy person, I'd just listen and laugh in my head while trying to be as outwardly respectful as possible.

However, when she started talking to me about her personal problems (she's a very open person, I guess because she doesn't really have a therapist to talk to, natch), I start to get a much clearer picture of exactly how this came to be. She had a blow-up with her family that led to them not talking to a while, and her moving out of the house after she graduated, she got kicked out of the first place she lived because ??? (I couldn't discern this, something to do with arguments), and ended up living with her drum teacher, a 50-something single dude with cancer of some sort, who is barely charging her for rent, teaching her about the whole Dianetics thing, and apparently being really creepy. She said something about his mind being intelligent, but his body staring at her "like your face is when you have a boner", which is kinda terrifying, and apparently in the recent past they got into some sort of argument, and later on he said something like "after you accused me of being creepy, my platelet count went down" (which is apparently a bad thing), which is a horrible manipulative thing to say.

Luckily, she realizes she's not in a good living situation (I recommended finding a place to live with another girl because she seemed to be kinda distrustful of men in general), and wants to get out, but still, holy gently caress. This girl has some weapons-grade crazy in her.

She sounds like exactly the kind of person to become interested in a cult.

• Locked thread