Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

You people do know that your life doesn't end when you have a kid right

Look at this childless rube. Look at him and mock him for his ignorance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
There is this weird thing with modernity where children are now a net drag on economic production for the first time in recorded history while at the same time parents are pressured to drop their own lives and dreams to focus entirely on the lives of their children. Its idolatry probably.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Lasting change is an impossibility, for all of man's works will ultimately be for nought. All that will be left is a dead world made putrid by man's touch, and even that will inevitably be consumed in the fires of a dying star. Everything you work for an believe in will be eradicated as if it never was, and the universe will continue it's slow and inexorable march towards heat death.

So party it up now, woooo!

See this is why Plato knew we have to base society on a comforting lie.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Miltank posted:

not really, no.

Religion is just a way of explaining how the world works and why things happen. Since humanity used to be pretty loving stupid and lived in caves we came up with the idea of gods because it was a easy way to explain everything that happened ever. Now we understand our environment and our existence and how it came to be, so people don't need religion anymore to explain why poo poo happens. People can get through their everyday life because they are sure in reality, we just don't take feeling from religion anymore.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Miltank posted:

Progressives are about to discover Christianity again and poo poo is going to get way real.

E: Atheists will never make lasting positive social change so pass out gospel tracks quote Jesus at protests.

It'll be a progressive movement up until the moment the real world forces those religious progressives to contradict a portion of their faith in favor of additional forward progress. As an example, lots of the church goers who were just fine pushing for racial civil rights were more than willing to stab LGBT people in the back over their attempts to get rights. Lots were actual functioning human beings and supported the cause, but acting like that was anywhere near the majority. Hell, in this thread, you jut tried to whitewash women's rights, very possibly because of your regressive religious views regarding sex.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Alexzandvar posted:

Religion is just a way of explaining how the world works and why things happen. Since humanity used to be pretty loving stupid and lived in caves we came up with the idea of gods because it was a easy way to explain everything that happened ever. Now we understand our environment and our existence and how it came to be, so people don't need religion anymore to explain why poo poo happens. People can get through their everyday life because they are sure in reality, we just don't take feeling from religion anymore.

please explain the individual's role within his society using science tyia

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

Science isn't the polar opposite of religion, brah.

Miltank posted:

There is this weird thing with modernity where children are now a net drag on economic production for the first time in recorded history while at the same time parents are pressured to drop their own lives and dreams to focus entirely on the lives of their children. Its idolatry probably.

I'm sorry that your dad didn't hug you because he was too busy praying to the Pope or whatever, but posting here won't make him love you.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Alexzandvar posted:

That was Sigmund Freud's theory for the creation of religion, but today, no one in the fields of anthropology or sociology of religion uses that theory. It's much more existential and social cohesion based. If that were so, then people would be getting less religious all over the world, when it's just Western Europe and the United States.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

rkajdi posted:

It'll be a progressive movement up until the moment the real world forces those religious progressives to contradict a portion of their faith in favor of additional forward progress. As an example, lots of the church goers who were just fine pushing for racial civil rights were more than willing to stab LGBT people in the back over their attempts to get rights. Lots were actual functioning human beings and supported the cause, but acting like that was anywhere near the majority. Hell, in this thread, you jut tried to whitewash women's rights, very possibly because of your regressive religious views regarding sex.

I think a women should have 400 abortions if she wants to doesn't matter to me.

The trick will be eliminating social norms that are masquerading as religious doctrine.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 9, 2014

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Miltank posted:

What is the entire study of psychology and industrial science?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smoking Crow posted:

That was Sigmund Freud's theory for the creation of religion, but today, no one in the fields of anthropology or sociology of religion uses that theory. It's much more existential and social cohesion based. If that were so, then people would be getting less religious all over the world, when it's just Western Europe and the United States.

The theory is people get less religious and when they are happy and well educated, a large part of the world still lives in abject and crushing poverty.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

Science isn't the polar opposite of religion, brah.

just explain it then dog, doesn't matter to me.

Alexzandvar posted:

What is the entire study of psychology and industrial science?

definitely not.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Miltank posted:

Best answer to the meaning question is that there is none.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I love how the OP started with "A Christian Theocracy would be just peachy because it would be full communism and there would be no war, just like Jesus commanded", and then people start asking about things like women's rights and it's all "Well of course women would be held as property with no political enfranchisement, access to education, economic freedom, or agency over their own bodies, it's all right there in First Corinthians. But for the male 51% of the population it'd be a paradise."

I'm almost afraid to ask what will happen to gays in this Christopia? Do I get to pay the jizyah and go about my life? Cuz if we're basing this on Russian Orthodox, I have a sinking feeling that I'm gonna end up getting stoned to death.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

rkajdi posted:

Best answer to the meaning question is that there is none.

seems like a bit of a cop out to me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

I love how the OP started with "A Christian Theocracy would be just peachy because it would be full communism and there would be no war, just like Jesus commanded", and then people start asking about things like women's rights and it's all "Well of course women would be held as property with no political enfranchisement, access to education, economic freedom, or agency over their own bodies, it's all right there in First Corinthians. But for the male 51% of the population it'd be a paradise."

I'm almost afraid to ask what will happen to gays in this Christopia? Do I get to pay the jizyah and go about my life? Cuz if we're basing this on Russian Orthodox, I have a sinking feeling that I'm gonna end up getting stoned to death.

You get to pay the tax, but it's 99% of your income rather than just 98% like for religious and racial minorities because you are extra evil.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

VitalSigns posted:

Oh, nothing. We are taught to love out brothers and sisters, so probably nothing will happen to them

You can be religious and gay, you know

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

Sorry, but thems the breaks, kid.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Miltank posted:

Unless it's right. Which it is.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
It is really such a bummer that I have to break it to yall like this, but life has meaning and morality is real :(

Sorry!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Oh, nothing. We are taught to love out brothers and sisters, so probably nothing will happen to them

You can be religious and get an abortion too, but you're still planning to ban those.

Can I testify against a Christian in court?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

What if the gay person isn't your sibling? Then it's to the gulags!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

It is really such a bummer that I have to break it to yall like this, but life has meaning and morality is real :(

Sorry!

You're right. Meaning is whatever we want it to be for ourselves, and morality is what societal consensus dictates it to be. It's pretty rad.

-EDIT-

As an aside I'm shocked this thread hasn't been shitcanned or thrown back to GBS yet.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

VitalSigns posted:

You can be religious and get an abortion too, but you're still planning to ban those.

Can I testify against a Christian in court?

You can if you want to. I'm not stopping you.

Who What Now posted:

What if the gay person isn't your sibling? Then it's to the gulags!

Gulags are an atheist invention, good sir

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Miltank posted:

If we're talking about base instincts, it's eat, drink, sleep, reproduce. If we're talking about everything else, the individual's role is whatever he or she chooses, barring outside influences and requirements in order to maintain a source of food and a place to sleep. We could use social science and try and dictate the idea of everyone's place and everyone's 'role' but that'd be stupid, and dumb, and basically ignore what people want to do.

Religion was a crutch used by people who were terrified about the world. Who wanted meaning to their lives, even if it wasn't real, even if it was only 'meaning' to them. Its how its been since forever. "Don't know something? A god did it."

Its been that way for thunder and lightning (Thor and Zeus). Its been that way for fire (Hephaestus and Agni). Its been that way for water. (Poseidon and Sobek). I don't see how it is so hard to envision that people once said "Huh, Wonder why we're here. We must have some sort of meaning to our lives, beyond our own joys and fight to survive. A god must have put us here and has a great plan that we each will fulfill."

Miltank posted:

Yes, such as the morality of the westboro baptist church. Such moral crusaders against such wrong things, such as...gay people not being stoned to death.

And please, enlighten us, oh great master. What is the meaning of life then? And if you say god, I'm docking 50 points from hufflepuff.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Miltank posted:

I think a women should have 400 abortions if she wants to doesn't matter to me.

Then stop carrying water for anti-woman and anti-choice cavemen. Your whole question was challenging the idea of basic bodily autonomy for women.

quote:

The trick will be eliminating social norms that are masquerading as religious doctrine.

There is no difference. Religious rules (at least for the more established religions) are just the social norms of dead people. I could care less about the wishes of the dead-- their wishes stopped being relevant the second they stopped breathing.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

Gulags are an atheist invention, good sir

I think you'll find that gulags come from your beloved Moscow.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

You keep dodging the question of whether one of the "features" of your theocracy is outlawing sodomy like you want to outlaw abortion and birth control pills.

Edit: Or will you just continue the contemporary Russian practise of not bothering to investigate or prosecute crimes against unpopular minorities?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Who What Now posted:

Yes, and a large majority of the residents were religious dissidents. Communism was a pretty bad period in Russian history, but the church has prevailed as it always has.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Not to mention how much in bed :hitler: was with the catholic church at first because he was against the jewish people.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

VitalSigns posted:

You keep dodging the question of whether one of the "features" of your theocracy is outlawing sodomy like you want to outlaw abortion and birth control pills.

I didn't say anything about outlawing birth control, but abortion is a no. I think that birth control should be easily available because church teaching on it is "use your conscience."

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

I didn't say anything about outlawing birth control, but abortion is a no. I think that birth control should be easily available because church teaching on it is "use your conscience."

No, church teaching is that sex is a dirty vile and rotten thing and if you have it without it being strictly for procreation, in the missionary position with the man on top, you are going straight to hell. Birth control and contraceptives of any sort, condoms or otherwise are just enabling those filthy harlots and whores to slut themselves and other good christian boys straight to hell.

Can you see why we don't like the idea of a theocracy yet?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Alexzandvar posted:

It does if you cannot financially support said kid, food, housing, toys, ect cost money you know that right? Also not every women is just our their yearning to be tied to a home taking care of kids.

Don't forget daycare, which will rape you anally to the tune of $11-20k per year.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

E-Tank posted:

No, church teaching is that sex is a dirty vile and rotten thing and if you have it without it being strictly for procreation, in the missionary position with the man on top, you are going straight to hell. Birth control and contraceptives of any sort, condoms or otherwise are just enabling those filthy harlots and whores to slut them and other good christian boys straight to hell.

Can you see why we don't like the idea of a theocracy yet?

Um, that isn't church teaching though? Did you know that the Orthodox church allows divorce too?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

rkajdi posted:

Then stop carrying water for anti-woman and anti-choice cavemen. Your whole question was challenging the idea of basic bodily autonomy for women.

There is no difference. Religious rules (at least for the more established religions) are just the social norms of dead people. I could care less about the wishes of the dead-- their wishes stopped being relevant the second they stopped breathing.

Does anyone here want to ban birth control? The OP doesn't and neither do I so why not PM kyrie elieson if you wanna have this fight? I reject that women are inherently property without the availability of contraceptives but luckily contraceptives aren't going away because that would make no sense.

Yeah religious rules suck for the most part lets get rid of them but keep the Christianity.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Miltank posted:

Except that everything we've seen scientifically shows us as not being important at all. At worst, we can only meaningfully affect a few nearby planets, and in all probability not even having a real affect beyond Earth.

Figuring out that everything I was worried about was in the end meaningless and unimportant was perhaps the most liberating thing ever. Instead of worrying about life being some vague test or something where all decisions had to worried about to one were even in the worst case we only were loving over a microscopic corner of reality takes quite a load off your shoulders.

Who What Now posted:

You're right. Meaning is whatever we want it to be for ourselves, and morality is what societal consensus dictates it to be. It's pretty rad.

Hence why both concepts are meaningless and unreal.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smoking Crow posted:

Yes, and a large majority of the residents were religious dissidents. Communism was a pretty bad period in Russian history, but the church has prevailed as it always has.

It was actually the opposite. See the Russian language says sentences backwards, that's how we get Yakov Smirnov jokes. So in Russian they would say "Atheists put into gulags the Christians" but a more accurate translation would be "Christians, the gulags into put the atheists."

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Can we move on to what sort of headwear we'd need to adopt? I'm concerned about the proliferation of heretical haberdashery, vis-a-vis the popular "baseball cap" that reads "JESUS IS L ORD"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

Does anyone here want to ban birth control? The OP doesn't and neither do I so why not PM kyrie elieson if you wanna have this fight? I reject that women are inherently property without the availability of contraceptives but luckily contraceptives aren't going away because that would make no sense.

Yeah religious rules suck for the most part lets get rid of them but keep the Christianity.

OP said he'd ban abortion and that is a form of birth control. And since all birth control methods available to women can be viewed as causing abortions, the OP wants to ban all female contraceptives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Who What Now posted:

OP said he'd ban abortion and that is a form of birth control. And since all birth control methods available to women can be viewed as causing abortions, the OP wants to ban all female contraceptives.

They can be, but they aren't

• Locked thread