Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Yeah, because it's Cool and Fun.

Basically this.

It's a case of being fun, and while maybe not ideal, still useful.

You just know that the Wight will roll +AG on his next level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Yup. Then next level we can get him Kick Off Return and he can be even better at snagging the ball at the start of your drive.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Yup. Then next level we can get him Kick Off Return and he can be even better at snagging the ball at the start of your drive.

I believe you mean "Pass Block"

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I believe you mean 'General Secretary Stalin will suddenly rush the pitch and kill Santos out of nowhere before his next level up'.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Feinne posted:

I believe you mean 'General Secretary Stalin will suddenly rush the pitch and kill Santos out of nowhere before his next level up'.

Accompanied by the actual Josef Stalin.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It would be in tremendously bad sport for future opponents to make a special effort to kill Gnu's star players, which is why its going to be even funnier when it happens by total accident.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It would be just terrible to, say, foul them. Almost as bad as playing dwarfs.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

1stGear posted:

It would be in tremendously bad sport for future opponents to make a special effort to kill Gnu's star players, which is why its going to be even funnier when it happens by total accident.

Several opponents already made it clear they wanted to take shots at the star players, and I'd be shocked if somebody honestly said they didn't want to kill all the LP mens

:siren:Voting Closed:siren:
Diving Catch and new Flolem (RIP TFP) it is

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I have no interest in killing your dudes, I just want to win 4-0.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

uPen posted:

I have no interest in killing your dudes, I just want to win 4-0.

That said all other things being equal you wouldn't say no to leaving the team a heaping pile of corpses and tears, one assumes.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

1stGear posted:

This has been a thing with every blood bowl lp. The thread gets favorite players (and hated players), and the challengers try to kill them. Many times people go out of there way to do so, even risking points for another shot at blitzing/putting the boot to such heros as Hadwick and Odin.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
We don't exactly have a standout player yet, though Santos von Hammerstein might Be The Guy if the Passing Plays turn out right.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Feinne posted:

Before Stalin's or Stanos'? Because Stalin got so much SPP he only needs the 1 CAS and he got break tackle on his last level up so...

Also, I was watching the video and SDS kept seeming to not know why I was doing what I was doing. Yes, I put someone way the gently caress out where no one could support them. I did this for a reason goddammit! I really wasn't trying for CAS that Stalin kept causing, that was just a happy accident. What I wanted to do was win the drat game. While my style of play may at first glance seem what some vet's may term "idiotic", it's all done with the intent of getting points. While I knew at that point in the game where I sent Trotsky out by himself that he could get 2db'd if Gnu was half-way intelligent about it, I had to do something. At the rate that Stalin kept killing everything in his way, I knew I could score before the 2nd half ended, but I really wanted to score 2 points just so I could win.

There was no time for me to stall if I wanted to win, and if you want and absolutely have to win, you gotta take risks.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Gaghskull posted:

Before Stalin's or Stanos'? Because Stalin got so much SPP he only needs the 1 CAS and he got break tackle on his last level up so...

Also, I was watching the video and SDS kept seeming to not know why I was doing what I was doing. Yes, I put someone way the gently caress out where no one could support them. I did this for a reason goddammit! I really wasn't trying for CAS that Stalin kept causing, that was just a happy accident. What I wanted to do was win the drat game. While my style of play may at first glance seem what some vet's may term "idiotic", it's all done with the intent of getting points. While I knew at that point in the game where I sent Trotsky out by himself that he could get 2db'd if Gnu was half-way intelligent about it, I had to do something. At the rate that Stalin kept killing everything in his way, I knew I could score before the 2nd half ended, but I really wanted to score 2 points just so I could win.

There was no time for me to stall if I wanted to win, and if you want and absolutely have to win, you gotta take risks.

So what all is even the next logical level up for the big fella after Mighty Blow and Break Tackle? Guard seems like the safe choice but I'm not sure how often it'd really be useful given how weird the team is and how rare it is for old bloody to even be standing next to an alive guy. Maybe Multiple Block to give him an alternative to Frenzying? Or praying for doubles or a stat up of course, that also works.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Stand Firm is good so he can't get counter surfed

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Feinne posted:

So what all is even the next logical level up for the big fella after Mighty Blow and Break Tackle? Guard seems like the safe choice but I'm not sure how often it'd really be useful given how weird the team is and how rare it is for old bloody to even be standing next to an alive guy. Maybe Multiple Block to give him an alternative to Frenzying? Or praying for doubles or a stat up of course, that also works.
Guard is more than twice as helpful if you have Frenzy. The difference between a 1db and a 2db is big on 'normal' players, the difference between several 2db Frenzy Blocks and several 1dbs is gigantic.

Taking Guard on a BT and just shoving them in the LoS is pretty legit. They're not an easy target to block down by any means, and they mean you can do some really handy positioning things if it's a big +1S everywhere all at once.

Sometimes with your BT you're going to kill every guy, sometimes they'll be pretty tame, give them Guard and they'll always be useful, at least.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Gaghskull posted:

While I knew at that point in the game where I sent Trotsky out by himself that he could get 2db'd if Gnu was half-way intelligent about it, I had to do something.

Like I said in the video (I think, maybe I just thought it at the time) I appreciated the sentiment of you thinking you needed to get people in scoring position fast and position your guys a lot more aggressively. However (and this is a point meant mostly for newer players, I know you, Gaghskull, personally already know this stuff) Blood Bowl is very much a game of risk management. While I understood why you ran one single player down into my defense, I didn't think it was the best place for him. A Khorne Herald is the second most valuable blitzing target, and you gave me a free blitz with minimal effort on my part. If you had not run that Herald down, I wouldn't really have a good blitzing target. Sure, I could have quadskulled myself and died, but the odds are much more likely that your player gets knocked down and stunned or worse. If you're running a single player into enemy territory with no real defense or support, you have to know what you're getting into.

In this case Gaghskull accepted the risk, but he may not have needed to. As it turns out, scoring in Blood Bowl can happen pretty loving quick. Pretty much every team can receive the ball on a kickoff and score in 2 turns if everything goes their way, and a few select teams can even manage to score on the same turn. So, while a sense of urgency is good, if you're at the point in your Bloodbowling career that you're beginning to consider strategy as you move your pixelmens around, consider that overextending a player with no real support or no other way to annoy your enemy is a risky move that is often easily dispatched.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
I threw around with a Khorne team against robots to see what was what.

The Bloodthirster isn't worth jack poo poo if he gets knocked over I have decided, he gets knocked over and unless Wild Animal decides not to poo poo in your mouth, that is how he is going to spend the ENTIRE HALF just thrashing on the floor like a 6 year old having a tantrum. I would have thought if I had a blitz action the +2 would apply but no the getting up overrides the 'Punch this guy in the face' order and I just wasted my Blitz.

I'm going to stick with my Norse team. Block on all my players makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Without being Hitler.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

TheNabster posted:

I threw around with a Khorne team against robots to see what was what.

The Bloodthirster isn't worth jack poo poo if he gets knocked over I have decided, he gets knocked over and unless Wild Animal decides not to poo poo in your mouth, that is how he is going to spend the ENTIRE HALF just thrashing on the floor like a 6 year old having a tantrum. I would have thought if I had a blitz action the +2 would apply but no the getting up overrides the 'Punch this guy in the face' order and I just wasted my Blitz.

I'm going to stick with my Norse team. Block on all my players makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Without being Hitler.

That's because you're doing it in the wrong order. You blitz, THEN click on your target. You should get the 2+ modifier after that.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Gaghskull posted:

That's because you're doing it in the wrong order. You blitz, THEN click on your target. You should get the 2+ modifier after that.

Seriously? I might be reading his post wrong but activating blitz should let the Thirster do whatever he wants on a 2+, including not punching anyone.

Make sure the Lightning Bolt is active and over the 'Thirster's head when you stand/move him, TheNabster. It's pretty easy to accidentally de-activate your Blitz while clicking around as you're plotting out a path.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

TheNabster posted:

Pro tip: the yhetee is a wild animal, too.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Pro tip: the yhetee is a wild animal, too.

Also a even bigger pain to level than the thrister.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Iretep posted:

Also a even bigger pain to level than the thrister.

I've never had a problem leveling the blood thirster on any khorne team. Are you not punching/blitzing every turn?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Gaghskull posted:

I've never had a problem leveling the blood thirster on any khorne team. Are you not punching/blitzing every turn?

Yeah, but the stupid jerk keeps KOing people instead of killing them. Though I like I said, I have bigger problems leveling the yhtee because I know the dumb thing will roll skull/both down. At least with the thrister you can pretty safely blitz and not have to worry about both downs.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Do we have a goon league for blood bowl? I'd like to play online but don't really see the appeal of playing against a bunch of randoms I'll never see again.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Do we have a goon league for blood bowl? I'd like to play online but don't really see the appeal of playing against a bunch of randoms I'll never see again.

We do, and I advise heading to the #tgbloodbowl channel on syn.irc to get access to it. You won't ever get to play by spinning the coin, though, and almost all matches are organized through there.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Hello friends.

Did you miss me?

I missed you.

Here, have a match

:siren:Match 8:siren:

[

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A very sunny day seems like a bad day for vampires. That was a fun half to watch, though.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
And once again. Because we made one of our Wights a passing Wight, he gets man-handled like a sissy elf boy before the first half is even over.

Elfball. Not even once.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

TheNabster posted:

And once again. Because we made one of our Wights a passing Wight, he gets man-handled like a sissy elf boy before the first half is even over.

Elfball. Not even once.

It gave him brittle bones, Pass has a hidden malus equivalent to a niggle.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Night10194 posted:

A very sunny day seems like a bad day for vampires. That was a fun half to watch, though.

Every Vamp team is sponsored by Coppertone.

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
This is shaping up to be your best game yet (in terms of actually winning, anyway -- nothing can beat the bloodfest that was Khorne), which means that it's all too likely you're going to end up 4-1 with three players left on the pitch next half.

On the bright side, we didn't get to be disappointed by Franken Castle's performance this game. Also, MacGruff is totally the best.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Corzanth posted:

This is shaping up to be your best game yet (in terms of actually winning, anyway -- nothing can beat the bloodfest that was Khorne), which means that it's all too likely you're going to end up 4-1 with three players left on the pitch next half.

On the bright side, we didn't get to be disappointed by Franken Castle's performance this game. Also, MacGruff is totally the best.

Yeah but Fraken's right there on the sideline ready to come in and get knocked out next half.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

As the grognard half of LP is fond of saying: "Grey. Grey never changes"

Watching the half I was thinking "is that The grey hunter?" Then after a few dodgy tactical choices I realised yes, it most certainly is.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
But how is he supposed to sink the royal navy?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

cokerpilot posted:

He'll just have to settle for accidentally blowing up a Flolem.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

cokerpilot posted:

I have an undead team named after royal navy ships, but its TV was to high.

lenoon posted:

As the grognard half of LP is fond of saying: "Grey. Grey never changes"

Watching the half I was thinking "is that The grey hunter?" Then after a few dodgy tactical choices I realised yes, it most certainly is.

I try not to disappoint.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm expecting some glorious loving Vampball here Grey, don't disappoint me :colbert:

Hmm, I wonder if the Vampire team wouldn't be helpedbe more interesting if they had the various bloodlines from WHFB as choices.
Something like dauntless/mighty blow/AV9 but M5 Blood Dragons; Speedy & hypnotizing but AV7 Lahmians; Frenzy, S5 but AV7/Wild Animal Strigoi and whatever the hell the Necrarchs would have.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Vamp teams can be pretty bad, but doing 2x GFIs to put your ball carrier in the opponents backfield, alone with Wolves and a Ghoul, is a poo poo gameplan for any team.

Screens and cages are important, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Pimpmust posted:

I'm expecting some glorious loving Vampball here Grey, don't disappoint me :colbert:

Hmm, I wonder if the Vampire team wouldn't be helpedbe more interesting if they had the various bloodlines from WHFB as choices.
Something like dauntless/mighty blow/AV9 but M5 Blood Dragons; Speedy & hypnotizing but AV7 Lahmians; Frenzy, S5 but AV7/Wild Animal Strigoi and whatever the hell the Necrarchs would have.

It's sort of a shame Vampires are clearly designed as a super gimmick team compared to "generic" Undead and Necromantic (and maybe even Khemri, though they're pretty gimmick too) given that Vampires are badass enough to be the point of one of the two undead armies in WFB (the other being Khemri of course, who hate fukken Vampires).

• Locked thread