Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

BioTech posted:

I bought the omni a few months back and enjoyed it. Grant Morrison wrote about Marshal Law in Supergods, I think it was about how this was the first comic dealing with the perversion of the super hero ideal. It plays with a lot of the sexual background, deviancy, superheroes becoming a fetish for "normals", but none of it feels as immature like Ennis' The Boys did to me. The sex wasn't the focus, but it was an aspect of the stories. There is some Vietnam criticism in there as well, the same Judge Dredd-esque critique on the US that gets posted here every now and then.

That said, this type of dark and grim is hard to take serious, self-loathing is a key aspect of the character and this kind of mood can get real tiring. It has definitely aged.

Our library got the omni. Initially I was expecting it to be a whole lot of "aren't superheroes stupid. Look how stupid they are" kind of parody, but the book has a surprising amount of heart to it. That being said it comes across as much more cynical form of Kingdom Come, or rather Kingdom Come comes up as a much more optimistic Marshal Law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

willus posted:

i really really want to see this

As requested: Superman has gone evil and is pretty much in the process of taking over the world, Lex Luthor (who is Supes' friend in the Injustice universe) has created a pill that turns regular people into super humans and Superman is going to give this pill to his army to enforce his rule. Green Arrow and Batman break into the Fortress of Solitude to steal the pill, Arrow accidentally shoots Pa Kent (Superman kidnapped his parents for their own protection after the US tried threatening them to get to Supes) and Superman kills Arrow. Batman escapes with the pill, but Superman follows and beats the poo poo out of him.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I love the detail of Alfred's shoe just shattering from kicking Superman's head in, all Arthurian brast blade style.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yeah, Alfred's shoe just loving exploding was a great touch. The final line was also a really great :drat: moment.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

That's Batgirl handing him the pill, right?

Also it's Batwoman.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
As said, the last line and the clothing not standing up to the forces at play are both great. It feels weird coming to terms with this being the same comic that used to feel like a rough attempt at setting up the game.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

The best touch is Alfred pausing to clean his hands before picking up Bruce.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I love a good headbutt, and that panel delivers. Goddamn.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Found on Imgur.
Sensational Spider-Man #31

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I love how painfully 90s that art is even though it came out in like 2005.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Say Nothing posted:

Found on Imgur.

Aunt May is my favorite Lich in comics.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Say Nothing posted:

Found on Imgur.

:stare: Holy loving poo poo when did Aunt May turn into the old lady witch from Fables? That was awesome.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
She actually dosed him with sleeping pills and almond flavouring, because she learned that Cyanide tasted of almonds from Murder She Wrote. Aunt May is the maximum old lady and it rules.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Maltose posted:

She actually dosed him with sleeping pills and almond flavouring, because she learned that Cyanide tasted of almonds from Murder She Wrote. Aunt May is the maximum old lady and it rules.

I love that she messed with him by saying it was basically rat poison instead of Ambien.

IndenturedHobo
May 17, 2008

Wait... Does being royalty give them different colored blood?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

IndenturedHobo posted:

Just a play on the old blue bloods term I imagine.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

K Prime posted:

The best touch is Alfred pausing to clean his hands before picking up Bruce.

Did they ever say what ended up happening to Alfred? I don't think the game ever addressed it, but I thought he was mentioned as having been killed.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

IndenturedHobo posted:

Plus, he's revealed to have killed non-TV-heads also.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Wade Wilson posted:

Did they ever say what ended up happening to Alfred? I don't think the game ever addressed it, but I thought he was mentioned as having been killed.

The comic is still on-going. There are a bunch of active heroes to need to disappear by the time the comic catches up to game so I imagine it'll get addressed eventually.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wonder if Martian Manhunter will undie by the time the series ends. He's in the game, but only as DLC, and you could argue he's the one from the "good" universe...

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I wonder if Martian Manhunter will undie by the time the series ends. He's in the game, but only as DLC, and you could argue he's the one from the "good" universe...
Green Arrow is currently dead in the comic, right? Sooooo he has to come back too?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

Green Arrow is currently dead in the comic, right? Sooooo he has to come back too?

No, he's super-dead in the game, you only play as the good universe version (in story mode).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

He was hanging out in the background of one of the stages before he became DLC.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Since Scorpion made a cameo in Injustice, I can only hope than means there's a chance that Alfred could be a DLC character in the new Mortal Kombat.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The MM DLC that added his arcade ending mentions him faking his death or going into hiding as the Atlantean archivist so it doesn't really contradict what we saw in his Year One appearance.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vakal posted:

Since Scorpion made a cameo in Injustice, I can only hope than means there's a chance that Alfred could be a DLC character in the new Mortal Kombat.

I love that Scorpion in Injustice essentially has the same role Kratos had in MK9: angry violent jerk who has no idea how he got here and will use spiked chains to get some answers.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

McSpanky posted:

The MM DLC that added his arcade ending mentions him faking his death or going into hiding as the Atlantean archivist so it doesn't really contradict what we saw in his Year One appearance.

Exactly. In the comic, he's melted by heat vision and his remains fall into the ocean. His in-game storyline is that he's been living in secret in the form of Aquaman's advisor in Atlantis. It fits pretty well.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gavok posted:

Exactly. In the comic, he's melted by heat vision and his remains fall into the ocean. His in-game storyline is that he's been living in secret in the form of Aquaman's advisor in Atlantis. It fits pretty well.

Yeah, considering the lengths some things had to go to kill J'onn in other stories, a simple heat vision burn isn't going to cut it.

Didn't Darkseid have him rendered down on the atomic level as fuel for a reactor or something in one time line because literally nothing else would kill him (and the process took several months or something)?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Whatever killed all the rest of the Martians must have been pretty awesome then.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
It was, a psychic disease that turned their powers against themselves resulting in immolation.

From Martian Manhunter v2 #0 written by John Ostrander with art by Tim Mnadrake.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Wade Wilson posted:

Yeah, considering the lengths some things had to go to kill J'onn in other stories, a simple heat vision burn isn't going to cut it.

Didn't Darkseid have him rendered down on the atomic level as fuel for a reactor or something in one time line because literally nothing else would kill him (and the process took several months or something)?

In Morrison's Rock of Ages storyline Desaad smashed J'onn atom by atom in a particle accelerator because how else do you torture a shapeshifter?

Why the answer isn't More Fire is an exercise for the reader.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mr. Maltose posted:

In Morrison's Rock of Ages storyline Desaad smashed J'onn atom by atom in a particle accelerator because how else do you torture a shapeshifter?

Why the answer isn't More Fire is an exercise for the reader.

Was that before or after that time J'onn got over his fear of fire and basically rampaged around as a Martian Torch, setting things on fire and beating the poo poo out of the Justice League until they guilt trip him into re-instituting the fear of fire?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Beforehand. That was the capstone of Joe Kelly's Justice League book, which was after Mark Waid who was after Grant Morrison with a writer or two in between.
It was also loving great, but I'm a pretty big Kelly fan.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Wade Wilson posted:

Was that before or after that time J'onn got over his fear of fire and basically rampaged around as a Martian Torch, setting things on fire and beating the poo poo out of the Justice League until they guilt trip him into re-instituting the fear of fire?

Wasn't that where it was revealed that Manhunter going nuts was specifically the reason Batman had brought the fireproof Plastic Man into the League?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Polaron posted:

Wasn't that where it was revealed that Manhunter going nuts was specifically the reason Batman had brought the fireproof Plastic Man into the League?

It wasn't that he was fireproof. It was that being an inorganic being, he was immune to mind control, plus he was just plain better and mentally quicker when it came to morphing.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

It was, a psychic disease that turned their powers against themselves resulting in immolation.

From Martian Manhunter v2 #0 written by John Ostrander with art by Tim Mnadrake.

How do you even burn things on Mars, doesn't the atmosphere have like no oxygen?

Heck, I always thought that was why MM was vulnerable to fire, they'd never evolved a defense against it.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Bakanogami posted:

How do you even burn things on Mars, doesn't the atmosphere have like no oxygen?

Not anymore!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

I just remembered a scene from... I think it was the Pulse, where Ben Urich has a private conversation with Peter Parker about secret identities.

"Peter, I'm an award-winning investigative journalist. You and I have worked together for almost ten years. Frankly, it's a little insulting that you'd think I wouldn't know."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bakanogami posted:

Heck, I always thought that was why MM was vulnerable to fire, they'd never evolved a defense against it.

Earth has always had fire and humans haven't exactly evolved a defense against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wasn't it also a thing that fire made martians want to get mad rutty?