Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
anyone else sticking w/ The Bridge going into the second season? I find that it has this certain rhythm to it that suits my summer viewing attention span just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MrAristocrates posted:

Apparently this is premiering on NBC tomorrow, and all I can think of is this.

I find absolutely everything about this image offensive.

It's "4:30 on a Friday" in picture form.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

The Leftovers continues to rule hardcore
I thought it was not good?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Ravane posted:

FFS, this is all I can see now.

Ugh. She was incredibly sexy on Legit and now you guys have permanently ruined that for me. :(

Listening to Comedy Bang Bang has made me hate Adam Scott so much.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

VagueRant posted:

Ugh. She was incredibly sexy on Legit and now you guys have permanently ruined that for me. :(

Listening to Comedy Bang Bang has made me hate Adam Scott so much.

Why? Is he a prick? :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm ready to quit the show but all the reviews say the next episode that focuses on Christopher Eccleston is standout television. It better blow me away.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Why? Is he a prick? :(
No, it's nothing that bad. He's just incredibly boring and unfunny and really grates on me. He likes to play the aloof, deadpan, too-cool-for-this comedy guy and they're always the wooooooorst. It's just anti-comedy to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The episodes with Adam Scott and Harris Wittels are some of the best episodes of the podcast and are hilarious.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I've heard Adam Scott make an astounding number of dick and butt jokes, so I don't think "aloof, too cool for school anti-comedy" is how I would describe his style

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Deadpool posted:

The episodes with Adam Scott and Harris Wittels are some of the best episodes of the podcast and are hilarious.
This does seem to be the prevailing opinion, but I absolutely hate them and think they're the worst episodes. "Hey, let's ironically be purposely not-funny for about two hours. That will be entertaining!"

Give me Jean Ralphio (Ben Schwartz, rather) over them any day. He is a fun guy. Speaking of, how was his improv show with the cast of House of Lies? I always meant to check it out.

xbilkis posted:

I've heard Adam Scott make an astounding number of dick and butt jokes, so I don't think "aloof, too cool for school anti-comedy" is how I would describe his style
Yeah, but I bet he did it while trying way too hard to keep a straight face and talk in a deep monotonous voice.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
VagueRant living up to his username here.

Josh Lyman posted:

It's alright so far but nothing amazing. Seems to have ramped up the grim to compensate for the fact that the writing isn't HBO-level at all.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

You mean the anchor was played by Anna Kendrick

gently caress you for making me click that link until I realized Anna Kendrick wasn't gonna show up. She's too busy filming Musical Movies and sequels to surprisingly successful acapella-based comedies to show up in a sketch show.

Also, Nathan for You is the best show on Television right now, and I don't think there's a single show that can surprise and excite me as much as Nathan Fielder does on a weekly basis. God bless that weird, geeky little man.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I haven't gotten into Comedy Bang Bang yet but Adam Scott and Scott Auckerman's "U Talkin' U2 To Me?" podcast I thought was pretty amazing. It helps that I've always loved U2 but I know plenty of people who don't like U2 or were completely neutral on them that really loved the podcast, too. It was the first thing in nine months that broke me of constant re-listens of Thrilling Adventure Hour on my daily commute.

I'm now more anxious about U2's new album eventually coming out because it will mean a new episode of UTU2TM than for the actual album.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Dead Snoopy posted:

anyone else sticking w/ The Bridge going into the second season? I find that it has this certain rhythm to it that suits my summer viewing attention span just fine.

The first episode was pretty good despite a lack of Linder. Bichir, Lovett, Levine and Lillard were all solid and Diane Kruger plays her character a little more loose, she actually smiled ! One thing they really did not take from the Scandinavian series was how Saga Noren was quite a happy person, just not good with people.

I doubt Franka Potente will smile very much, she still has a scowl that drops people at twenty paces like the bank guard in Lola Rennt.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

CeeJee posted:

One thing they really did not take from the Scandinavian series was how Saga Noren was quite a happy person, just not good with people.

More importantly they didn't take the reasons why she is so good at her job. Here she is just magically making deductions for little reason. Saga is shown pretty much working 24 hours a day, every day.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can't be the only one confused over the following Emmy categorisations:

Outstanding Miniseries
“Fargo” (FX)

Outstanding Drama Series
“True Detective” (HBO)

Is it simply down to which category the producers nominated them in? Because I can't think of any real difference between those two shows, category wise.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The producers (and maybe the network also has a hand in it?) get to choose whether shows like that are entered as a drama or a miniseries. FX tends to not get the Emmy attention that HBO gets, so Fargo is being submitted as a miniseries, where it is a virtual lock to get nominated and also likely to win. HBO obviously feels more confident about TD's chances, and why wouldn't they, since it stars one of the hottest actors on the planet right now.

It's award politics bullshit, basically.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And award show politics means that both Breaking Bad and Cranston are going to win because it was the final season, which means that HBO's decision to submit TD in the drama category even more mystifying.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

zoux posted:

And award show politics means that both Breaking Bad and Cranston are going to win because it was the final season, which means that HBO's decision to submit TD in the drama category even more mystifying.

I dunno about that. I'm sure the Emmy chaps would love to have this year's Oscar winner also win the Emmy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Annakie posted:

I haven't gotten into Comedy Bang Bang yet but Adam Scott and Scott Auckerman's "U Talkin' U2 To Me?" podcast I thought was pretty amazing. It helps that I've always loved U2 but I know plenty of people who don't like U2 or were completely neutral on them that really loved the podcast, too. It was the first thing in nine months that broke me of constant re-listens of Thrilling Adventure Hour on my daily commute.

I'm now more anxious about U2's new album eventually coming out because it will mean a new episode of UTU2TM than for the actual album.

If you're interested in trying to get into Comedy Bang Bang, the best of compilations are usually a good showcase. Except that the talking in between the clips can go on for too long so in that way it's actually....ahh, drat it all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

I dunno about that. I'm sure the Emmy chaps would love to have this year's Oscar winner also win the Emmy.

You definitely have a point. The real contest is which behind the scenes Emmy narrative bullshit will win out.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
It's even more of a cheat that Treme got nominated for best miniseries IMO. At least with Fargo there is some possibility that more of it won't be made and it really was a miniseries.

Also Fred Armisen got nominated for Portlandia but like likes of Nick Offerman are still shut out. Incoming TVIV implosion in 5...4...3..2...

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

Except that the talking in between the clips can go on for too long so in that way it's actually....ahh, drat it all.

Scott Aukerman is the worst part of Comedy Bang Bang. He's a Chris Hardwick level talent and it boggles my mind whenever someone praises his show. Does anybody laugh when he says "Comedy Bing Bong" instead of "Comedy Bang Bang"? Like, is that even a joke? Same thing with "Where's your burrito?" What the gently caress is that about and why is it his catchphrase?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CBB seems like Neil Hamburger Tim and Eric anti-comedy bullshit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uh, Comedy Bang Bang rules.

So does Tim & Eric, for that matter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

THAT's where wanna meet that dad comes from?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

VagueRant living up to his username here.

It's alright so far but nothing amazing. Seems to have ramped up the grim to compensate for the fact that the writing isn't HBO-level at all.

Actually it's incredible on every level

Also here's the complete Emmy noms list:

here

Some interesting notes:

They spelled it "Louis", which just makes me crack up

Modern Family cast quickly losing ground in the supporting noms in comedy, thank god

The Americans got shut out of any nominations

Best actor-drama looks like the embarrassing category this year, what with jeff Daniels and Kevin spacey both getting in, and true detective getting two noms over just 1

Rick and morty not getting nominated over some teenage mutant ninja turtles cartoon is a goddamn embarrassment

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

hcreight posted:

Also Fred Armisen got nominated for Portlandia but like likes of Nick Offerman are still shut out. Incoming TVIV implosion in 5...4...3..2...

I'm more surprised there's no been outrage over everyone's favourite Orphan not being nominated for the amazing talent of being able to act multiple characters at an acceptable level of talent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hannibal getting shut out is goddamn ridiculous.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm more surprised there's no been outrage over everyone's favourite Orphan not being nominated for the amazing talent of being able to act multiple characters at an acceptable level of talent.

Lizzy Caplan getting nominated is more rad than this post.

(Also Mads Mikkelsen should punch Jeff Daniels square in the neck.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MrAristocrates posted:

Uh, Comedy Bang Bang rules.

Yes it does.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

Hannibal getting shut out is goddamn ridiculous.

Nah, it's not an accessible show and is IMO not good, but even beyond that there's about a billion shows more deserving that didn't get in to the field

Either way if true detective spoils brba's sweep this year I will punch everything

Also I was slightly incorrect, Margo martingale got nommed for guest actress, which is still goddamn embarrassing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well IMO you're a retard.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

Well IMO you're a retard.

Well again, your show is bad and got shut out of Emmy noms so, oh well

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How in the gently caress can you be like "no The Leftovers is unquestionably loving awesome" after like 2 episodes and then diss Hannibal, DAMMIT OCC

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Because The Leftovers doesn't need ludicrously gross amounts of violence to tell a surreal story, it doesn't fall constantly onto that crutch

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I see, I didn't realize you had a fundamental misunderstanding about the show.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not a loving crutch, dude.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Because The Leftovers doesn't need ludicrously gross amounts of violence to tell a surreal story, it doesn't fall constantly onto that crutch

So a series about a cannibal serial killer and other extreme serial killers should not have "ludicrously gross amounts of violence"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

bobkatt013 posted:

So a series about a cannibal serial killer and other extreme serial killers should not have "ludicrously gross amounts of violence"?

Yes

• Locked thread