Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

moller posted:

Timesplitters predates Halo by, like, a year and was an FPS controlled with standard modern twin stick controls. Just sayin.

Oh wow, I completely forgot about Timesplitters. I even mentioned Goldeneye!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Phone posted:

This week's Thumbs: :allears:

Ethnic Breckon's Wii U story is gold.

I'm only half an hour into the episode but already it feels a lot better than their last few. Maybe because Spelunky was brought up again :)

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Everyone forgets about TimeSplitters :eng99:

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I think people don't think about that because the analog sticks on the Dual Shock 2 (and 3!) never really made that feel as good as the Xbox controller did with Halo.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Quake III Arena for the Dreamcast came out one day before Timesplitters, and it had dual stick shooting...

... Er... I mean, the single analog stick on the left controlled movement and the diamond of face buttons let you give digital suggestions as to which way your character should look. That game was really designed with the DC keyboard and mouse in mind.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The thing about Halo wasn't the control setup alone, it was the finely tuned numbers correlating the deflection angle of the stick to the acceleration of the player's view. Halo did that better than most contemporaries, and it was something that still presented a hurdle for other developers for a long time after.

I rarely notice a game feeling weird in that regard now, but it was a crapshoot for a while. In many older console shooters, it's impossible to find a satisfying balance between fine aiming and fast turning.

edit: I never played Timesplitters; it may have been great at that, too.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

Quake III Arena for the Dreamcast came out one day before Timesplitters, and it had dual stick shooting...

... Er... I mean, the single analog stick on the left controlled movement and the diamond of face buttons let you give digital suggestions as to which way your character should look. That game was really designed with the DC keyboard and mouse in mind.

The original Turok had an option for using the C-buttons as movement and the analog stick for aiming and it was the best way to control that game. I've kind of always had a soft spot for using the left stick to aim since then - I do way better in games like RE 4 than I do in regular twin-stick shooters because of this.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I could swear Quake 2 on the original PlayStation had dual analog controls but I'm not sure.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

When was the last time the Thumbs did a stream of anything? I guess they stopped because they're busy with a video games, but I kind of really want to see them play The Forest.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'd love to see them tackle Spintires, the Steam sensation. It's tremendously satisfying once you start to figure it out, while the early flailing is hilarious and frustrating. It seems like a good candidate for streaming.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, that'd be good too, since I feel like they've always appreciated games that try to simulate a very specific thing like that. In any case I wish they'd do something, even if it's just once a month.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hakkesshu posted:

The original Turok had an option for using the C-buttons as movement and the analog stick for aiming and it was the best way to control that game. I've kind of always had a soft spot for using the left stick to aim since then - I do way better in games like RE 4 than I do in regular twin-stick shooters because of this.

I think Goldeneye had this too, somewhere in the options.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

I think Goldeneye had this too, somewhere in the options.

Yeah, I always used that option in multiplayer which gave me a pretty unfair advantage!

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way that Abject Suffering will finally do that Bad Mojo episode, now that there's an updated version on Steam/GOG?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Twitch posted:

Is there any way that Abject Suffering will finally do that Bad Mojo episode, now that there's an updated version on Steam/GOG?

I'm not sure whether or not to buy Bad Mojo. On one hand it seems pretty unique, on the other it might make me physically ill.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

weird bleep posted:

Yeah, I always used that option in multiplayer which gave me a pretty unfair advantage!

All's fair in love and Game

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Twitch posted:

This is interesting news. We were excited to play it, but stymied by technical problems. I wouldn't be surprised if it shows back up.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I already liked that Danielle joined Idle Thumbs, but she steered the show directly into my wheelhouse by bringing up Silent Hill 4 (favorably) *AND* leading that into a bigger discussion of survival horror. In a related note, the new Hex Crank is on its way.

E: Sorry for the double post.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I already liked that Danielle joined Idle Thumbs, but she steered the show directly into my wheelhouse by bringing up a video game (favorably) *AND* leading that into a bigger discussion of more video games.

I agree.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I don't expect this would ever happen but next time WOFF does a Silent Hill game I'd push hard for Shattered Memories. I'm enjoying Hex Crank but I'm also a little impatient for it to get to the Playstation era. That's when the genre really became a thing.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Does anyone know a good podcast that focuses on fighting games? I've gotten sf4 and king of fighters XIII in the last steam sale and I've gotten interested in the fgc scene. Was wondering if there's anything interesting to listen to while I do online and try to not suck.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Does anyone know a good podcast that focuses on fighting games? I've gotten sf4 and king of fighters XIII in the last steam sale and I've gotten interested in the fgc scene. Was wondering if there's anything interesting to listen to while I do online and try to not suck.

Super Desperation Radio, while doesn't really focus on SF4, is a podcast heavily focused towards the lesser known fighting games like KoF13, Guilty Gear Xrd, and a bunch others. They also focus on the fighting game community with events and other stuff. They typically stream every Monday Night at twitch.tv/iplaywinner and their archives are located in the IPlayWinner YouTube channel.

Also, gonna parrot the Super Best Friendcast recommendation. Not only they cover a bunch of fighting game news and stuff, they also talk about everything else like other video games, anime and movies.

Thwack! fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 5, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thank you Idle Thumbs for re-affirming my choice to go Wii U + gaming PC this generation. Nevermind the fact that I currently own neither of those things :negative:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE2sjm1Ze8Q

VG-Robot
Aug 2, 2006

Ask me about fucking the Medievalists and being sooo angry.
The more I listen to Bonfire Side Chats, the more I realize that the Souls games are the REAL 3D successors to the original Legend of Zelda. At least in terms of gameplay and...uhh...structural feel, I guess. You know, besides 3D Dot Game Heroes.

Seriously, the more I think about the secret alternate universe Legend of Zelda sequels that live in my head, the angrier I get at Nintendo. STOP TREATING ME LIKE A CHILD! They never treated me like a child when I was a child, so why start now?!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

VG-Robot posted:

The more I listen to Bonfire Side Chats, the more I realize that the Souls games are the REAL 3D successors to the original Legend of Zelda. At least in terms of gameplay and...uhh...structural feel, I guess. You know, besides 3D Dot Game Heroes.

Seriously, the more I think about the secret alternate universe Legend of Zelda sequels that live in my head, the angrier I get at Nintendo. STOP TREATING ME LIKE A CHILD! They never treated me like a child when I was a child, so why start now?!

I'm with you, buddy. I don't care too much for modern Zelda games and Naavi is one of those things where, yes, it's a cliche to bitch about her but also she's the worst thing ever.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I'm sure people are sick of hearing this by now, but A Link Between Worlds has stepped away from the linearity and hand holding of other modern Zelda games. The release of that game and the way Nintendo are talking about the Wii U game makes it seem like they understand complaints people have with the series.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

weird bleep posted:

I'm sure people are sick of hearing this by now, but A Link Between Worlds has stepped away from the linearity and hand holding of other modern Zelda games. The release of that game and the way Nintendo are talking about the Wii U game makes it seem like they understand complaints people have with the series.

I haven't been able to afford to pick up A Link Between Worlds yet but posts like this give me hope.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
I've always called the Souls games the 3D Castlevania games I always wanted.

VG-Robot
Aug 2, 2006

Ask me about fucking the Medievalists and being sooo angry.
Guys, guys, let's just all agree that the Souls games are everything we could want in all our hopes and dreams.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

A Legend of Zelda in the kitchen and a Castlevania in the boudoir.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Beard Yawn posted:

I've always called the Souls games the 3D Castlevania games I always wanted.

Yeah, a lot of the wait for attack -> get a few hits in -> die in like 4 hits yourself dynamic of Dark Souls is very reminiscent of the classic Castlevanias. Obviously there isn't much platforming, but there's a similar lineage there. Also I think it would rule pretty hard if they made a Souls game that was just about exploring a gigantic gently caress-off castle :allears:

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Episode 9! :jeb: http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com

Majiir pt 2
Space plane advice from a twitch streamer.
Nos gets to the Mun, sorta.
As the Kerbin Turns
The original Planet of the Apes.

We're done reporting on Majiir and Modstatistics unless something goes nuts with the story. We're on episode 9 and 4 have modstatistics in them (Coincidentally the same number contain references to Diarrhea Planet :iiapa:)

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm astonished at how amazingly Danielle has fit into the podcast. She's fantastic. I'm so glad she's a regular host now.

Most recent thumbs is fantastic.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Sankis posted:

I'm astonished at how amazingly Danielle has fit into the podcast. She's fantastic. I'm so glad she's a regular host now.

Most recent thumbs is fantastic.

That's exactly why she became a regular! Pretty much all our guests are good friends but Danielle has fit in a really natural and easy way.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

"I know one thing about Snape and two things about Dumbledore!"

That section of the 'cast was so good it nearly killed me.

Don't 'cast and drive folks!

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Our Gabriel Knight 2 episode is up. We hope you like mangled German in southern accents!

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/77

Up next is Cave Story, then a month of Suikoden II, followed by Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel for the GameBoy Color.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel for the GameBoy Color.

Released in the west as simply "Metal Gear Solid." Also, this game was really great back in like 2000, I'm curious to see how it holds up for you guys today.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I can't believe that they sat on this week's Thumbs for an entire year. :v:

(Sean said it's July 9th, 2013)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Rookie it'sing mistake.

• Locked thread