Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Well I sent my resume off to a guy at ARLUT. I think I may have met him once when I was on the McCain but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Saw what could be true sadness and disappointment from a third class. Since they're closing down portions of the hospital, emergency care services are going out to the town 10 minutes away. Poor sap shows up asking if there's a doctor. I tell him no and he looks around, bewildered, and says "This is a hospital isn't it?" "Actually, no, we are no longer a hospital." He stared at me like a zombie, as I wrote down the number to a nursing hotline and directions to the hospital one town over and he just says "I re-enlisted for this poo poo?"

Made my night.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

Saw what could be true sadness and disappointment from a third class. Since they're closing down portions of the hospital, emergency care services are going out to the town 10 minutes away. Poor sap shows up asking if there's a doctor. I tell him no and he looks around, bewildered, and says "This is a hospital isn't it?" "Actually, no, we are no longer a hospital." He stared at me like a zombie, as I wrote down the number to a nursing hotline and directions to the hospital one town over and he just says "I re-enlisted for this poo poo?"

Made my night.

Oh noes he had to drive to a hospital 10 minutes away? Say it ain't so! The dependa waiting in his car outside might have to wait *that* much longer for her lipitor.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Pandasmores posted:

Made my night.

For a visual representation...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I feel like being in the Navy is just a job. I also feel like any extra hours spent outside of work with my co-workers is just potential to get in trouble for something. I can't wait to fill out the command climate survey and talk about how much I don't care about my shipmates.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dingleberry posted:

For a visual representation...

loving attachments are broken, can you imgur it?

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

orange juche posted:

loving attachments are broken, can you imgur it?

http://imgur.com/LEs3Sv1

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

I feel like being in the Navy is just a job. I also feel like any extra hours spent outside of work with my co-workers is just potential to get in trouble for something. I can't wait to fill out the command climate survey and talk about how much I don't care about my shipmates.

It is just a job, except your bosses can go to your apartment, look through your things, tell you to work overtime with little to no incentive, and then, instead of firing you, they wreck any chance of a career or gains from using one of the few incentives you get for being in (GI bill) by having you disqualified with a discharge of some sort whether you did/didn't do something. They can also bend the law to mean whatever the hell they want it to mean in order to bully you into whatever it is they interpret something as. Hell, a CO has the power to look at all the evidence in the world, dismiss it if they want, take away your rank so you get caught up in high-year tenure, get the Chiefs to lose your paperwork when you're trying to get reinstated as a first class, and laugh all the way to your forced separation because you "didn't submit" everything on time.

Honor. Courage. Commitment. (To doing everything to loving someone over, hooyah) :chiefsay:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sir Lucius posted:

One of the nice things about being a nuke was that it was pretty much impossible to get in trouble in town with your coworkers, because if you were in town that meant they were on duty

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sir Lucius posted:

Best part about every command climate survey is the lower enlisted detailing why things are hosed up and that the leadership sucks and leadership reading it and telling us we're wrong and that nothing is going to change. We had a coordinated campaign of naming names and detailing specific events that were cause for our grievances. The inspector general got involved and it turned out that our security posture was so poor (AT AN INTEL COMMAND LOL) and our leadership was so hosed and we didn't even have a mission that we were going to be decommissioned.

Then we got a new CO and he changed lots of poo poo and things got better. THE END

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

One of the nice things about being a nuke was that it was pretty much impossible to get in trouble in town with your coworkers, because if you were in town that meant they were on duty

Nukes still have their ways: US Sailor Sends Rape Threats to Future Female Sailors Online

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

So, I know the internet is the internet and whatever, but did that seem like a good idea?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
The internet is not the internet when you're using real name and photo.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons In Platoons > July Navy Thread 14: Still not as rapey as the Air Force!

:mmmsmug:

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 9, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I knew a Mustin who was supposedly in that line. He was a loving idiot.

So question. If I didnt take terminal I would get all that pay and bah and bas anyway, but I would also get pay ontop for selling days back. So wouldn't it be best to just take all that money if I have all my moving plans figurd out and I know what the next step is?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you don't talk terminal you have to work until you're out. You get your leave back at base pay only. If you do take terminal, you're effectively a civilian and still get paid full pay and allowances until your final day.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Always take terminal, this shouldn't be a question.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
The head of the nukes just bitched to Congress about the safety of the Navy nuke programs. I wonder if we could just drop the reorg of the Ohio class reactors and save money that way.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Always take terminal, this shouldn't be a question.

I didn't take terminal because I was starting classes a month after EAOS so it wasn't like I had a job lined up that was paying more. Might as well get full pay and allowances until the last day and then get a bonus check for a month's base pay.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Angry Fish posted:

The head of the nukes just bitched to Congress about the safety of the Navy nuke programs. I wonder if we could just drop the reorg of the Ohio class reactors and save money that way.

What about the safety of the Navy Nuke program?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

SpaceJustice posted:

What about the safety of the Navy Nuke program?

It's being threatened by salty veterans telling people to not go Nuke.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

It's being threatened by salty veterans telling people to not go Nuke.

The $10 I spent for this forum membership paid for itself many a year ago when I was told NOT to go nuke. If only there were enough people to tell me to not go subs back then.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Stultus Maximus posted:

I didn't take terminal because I was starting classes a month after EAOS so it wasn't like I had a job lined up that was paying more. Might as well get full pay and allowances until the last day and then get a bonus check for a month's base pay.

~70% of a month's base pay you mean

anyway everyone is different but unless you were a chief or a dirtbag that no one expected anything out of most people don't want to work up until their very last day

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Schlabbalabba posted:

The $10 I spent for this forum membership paid for itself many a year ago when I was told NOT to go nuke. If only there were enough people to tell me to not go subs back then.

How was it not obvious that subs suck?

krispykremessuck posted:

~70% of a month's base pay you mean

anyway everyone is different but unless you were a chief or a dirtbag that no one expected anything out of most people don't want to work up until their very last day

It also helped that my EAOS was at the end of December so nobody expected work done during holiday leave periods anyway.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

How was it not obvious that subs suck?

Well, note for all you kids: If it involves extra money it is because the job sucks horribly and/or it is severely undermanned and really sucks horribly.

Nuke (pro pay): Missed, thank God.

Subs (submarine pay): Oops.

LCAC Nav (pro pay): Damnit.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Schlabbalabba posted:

You couldn't even cut it as a loving coner. :laugh:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mad Dragon posted:

You couldn't even cut it as a loving coner. :laugh:

Sonar is a hard life bro.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

The dude in charge of starboard watches in boot camp was a sonar sub dude and he looks happy as can be. I think he's a second class now up for first or some poo poo.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
http://www.reddit.com/r/newtothenavy/comments/2aegh1/questions_about_hygeine_and_body_odor_in_rtc/

LOL. This poor bastard.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Sounds like he'll fit in fine with the CSes.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
Hope he cranks in the cpo mess.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Seqenenra posted:

Hope he cranks in the cpo mess.

:chiefsay:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

At least if he makes it a career and anyone asks him why he smells like poo poo he can say that the Navy's hosed him so many times he can't hold in his own poo poo.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Dude is obviously full of poo poo. :downsrim:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Exactly 3 years to go! 2 questions: Do I have to put in a chit to get my good conduct medal? If CMS-ID doesn't have the job I want do I just wait until next month to try again for new billets?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Sir Lucius posted:

Exactly 3 years to go! 2 questions: Do I have to put in a chit to get my good conduct medal? If CMS-ID doesn't have the job I want do I just wait until next month to try again for new billets?

You shouldn't have to for your good cookie. Unless things changed with going from PTS to C-WAYS or with no one having money any more, your window for negotiating should start at 9 months from your PRD and close at 6. If you aren't selected for orders by then you fall into needs of the Navy. Like I said, things might have tightened up timewise with the money crunch but, that is what what it was and I haven't finished my coffee yet to do proper research on it :chiefsay:

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

You have 5 selections per month once you're in your window (9 to 7 months prior to PRD) and it's a good idea to use them. If there's absolutely nothing you want, make sure you talk to your detailer before you make zero selections - they have the authority (via NAVADMIN 227/12) to basically slam you with orders at any time within your window. Use your picks!

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

The command told me on Friday I had to reenlist before going on deployment because my ID will expire. LOL.

I told them I would if they gave me the difference in taxes on my Zone B SRB.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Good conduct medal should be automatic. People freak out about making sure their ribbons are in the system. I could care less as long as I absolutely know I "rate" it but I haven't had an issue with it not showing up yet. I've never seen someone asked to show proof of their poo poo but I'm sure it happens

CMS-ID sucks. I didn't get orders until 5 months out and a buddy didn't get his until 2 months out.

At your 9 month window apply as soon as that poo poo opens up until you're at 6 months. If there's multiple things of the same one you can put that more that once. At least that's what I did. All five. I didn't get orders so I had to get ahold of my detailer. Took about 2 weeks of calling, multiple emails, LPO calling, voicemails chief emailing, waking up at 4 am to try to catch them right when they opened. Luckily when she did answer on a fluke she was really nice and helped me out because I did everything the way I was supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

Good conduct medal should be automatic. People freak out about making sure their ribbons are in the system. I could care less as long as I absolutely know I "rate" it but I haven't had an issue with it not showing up yet. I've never seen someone asked to show proof of their poo poo but I'm sure it happens

The system is pretty terrible. My Battle E doesn't show up and it's for a whole loving aircraft carrier.

• Locked thread