Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Maybe pixar movies have gotten a bit worse, but Disney movies have gotten better, so it's not like the animation world has suffered some terrible loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

axleblaze posted:

It's still odd to me when people speak doom and gloom about Pixar. They had one bad movie (which really isn't as bad as people say it is), one film that was really good but had some internal troubles and a perfectly good sequel that gets lumped in as being bad for no reason I can really see other than it being a sequel. They've stumbled a bit from the absurdly good streak they had going but they still aren't exactly a name that doesn't mean anything anymore.
I enjoyed Monster University and continued my personal tradition of watching a Pixar film on my birthday if possible. But one thing that really hung over it was that its message is really similar to Ratatouille. And your movie has to be really good if you're drawing comparisons to this.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Yeah, Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen is a serious hot streak. None of them are as good as The Incredibles, Wall-E, or Up, but they're visually loving incredible, and demonstrate that current Disney has all the pieces it needs in place to make a really great film. Doesn't really look like Big Hero 6 will be that film, though.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Wittgen posted:

Maybe pixar movies have gotten a bit worse, but Disney movies have gotten better, so it's not like the animation world has suffered some terrible loss.

Definitely, but usually when people are critiquing Pixar's performance in recent years it's only in comparison to their previous output. Which is still a little unfair, since they had such a hot streak for so long that a string of mediocre films isn't totally unexpected. Pixar in particular has built its image around an almost reverential dedication to quality and story above all, so when their movies seem not to hold up anymore, people get more critical than they would probably be if, say, Disney had another downturn.

e: On an unrelated note, does anyone know when The Wind Rises is getting a blu-ray release in the U.S.? I checked on Amazon just now but it looks like it's not available. Google isn't digging anything up except a June 18th release date which sounds like it's Japan-only.

mareep fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 9, 2014

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Spatula City posted:

Yeah, Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen is a serious hot streak. None of them are as good as The Incredibles, Wall-E, or Up, but they're visually loving incredible, and demonstrate that current Disney has all the pieces it needs in place to make a really great film. Doesn't really look like Big Hero 6 will be that film, though.

I dunno, it's only been a teaser and a few promo images, so I don't think that it's exactly fair to judge it based on the postage-sized stamps you see of the whole picture.

Plus it's a good sign that at worst the previews seem only mediocre* rather than offending the sensibilities of the entire audience; unlike two of Disney's recent offerings.

*tumblrite criticisms notwithstanding.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I will never get over last summer where Cartoon Network played the full two minute Turbo trailer every other commercial break.

Compared to that, any marketing is genius.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Disney marketing has been really lackluster the last 5 years. It's not even that they're not advertising stuff well, they're just not even advertising much at all.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yeah, but I think this article is a little more relevant, because it goes into detail about how Pixar and Dreamworks Animation were involved.

Everyone in the industry has done it at one point or another.. its just the large scale concentration in the bay area was baffling. Sony Imageworks and Animation didn't want to play dice and was infamous a few years ago for cold calling people and just offering them a boat load of money to change jobs.

Heck I got cold called at my desk at an old VFX job by one of the companies listed in the court documents and wound up taking that job.. worked out well for me in that case . Thing is you got to change jobs fairly often, every 2-3 years at a minimum for a while to start maxing out your wages, if you stick at one animation studio forever and ever you'll stagnate in wages (unless you get them to counter offer you to stay from a better offer elsewhere).

If this turns out like the EA Overtime class action, I can at least expect a settlement check of some sort down the road :v:

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 10, 2014

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

umalt posted:

I dunno, it's only been a teaser and a few promo images, so I don't think that it's exactly fair to judge it based on the postage-sized stamps you see of the whole picture.

Plus it's a good sign that at worst the previews seem only mediocre* rather than offending the sensibilities of the entire audience; unlike two of Disney's recent offerings.

*tumblrite criticisms notwithstanding.

To be honest, "all the women look the same" is a pretty valid criticism. Frozen may be beautiful, but you can't deny the character design is a little lacking.

Also: I don't think it's "tumblrite" to be suspicious of Western fiction about non-Western places. You do realise how often it turns out totally hosed up, yes?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

What recent Disney movie was about a non-western place?

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm talking about suspicion towards Big Hero 6, there. :v: Should've clarified that.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Oh, I assumed that was in America. If not, that's kind of cool.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The comics take place in Japan, but the movie takes place in a fusion of San Fransisco and Tokyo.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Big K of Justice posted:

Everyone in the industry has done it at one point or another.. its just the large scale concentration in the bay area was baffling. Sony Imageworks and Animation didn't want to play dice and was infamous a few years ago for cold calling people and just offering them a boat load of money to change jobs.

Heck I got cold called at my desk at an old VFX job by one of the companies listed in the court documents and wound up taking that job.. worked out well for me in that case . Thing is you got to change jobs fairly often, every 2-3 years at a minimum for a while to start maxing out your wages, if you stick at one animation studio forever and ever you'll stagnate in wages (unless you get them to counter offer you to stay from a better offer elsewhere).

If this turns out like the EA Overtime class action, I can at least expect a settlement check of some sort down the road :v:

I'm irritated by the fact that people accept this as just part of business practice, though. I really wonder at what point do you just make so much money that you, as someone that had to struggle to get Pixar truly off the ground, stop really caring about fostering employee goodwill and benefitting the artists, whose current positions were once your own.

I'm still trying to make my way through Creativity, Inc. but the long paragraphs about employee trust and honesty, fostering good environments so that people stay, and how they totally had huge changes that upset employees after the sale to Disney, but it totally wasn't the sale to Disney guys it was just totally natural and unavoidable, are making it a much more obnoxious read. There's literally an entire paragraph at one point going on about how people need to stop being afraid to speak up and change broken systems just because they're afraid it will eat into their revenue.

I'd also never heard before this that apparently Catmull and Lasseter have been involved in stock options back-dating scandals in the past as well.

I think these have all already reached settlement agreements though. Nice to seeing it be put out in public, at least.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

redcheval posted:

I'm irritated by the fact that people accept this as just part of business practice, though. I really wonder at what point do you just make so much money that you, as someone that had to struggle to get Pixar truly off the ground, stop really caring about fostering employee goodwill and benefitting the artists, whose current positions were once your own.

I'm still trying to make my way through Creativity, Inc. but the long paragraphs about employee trust and honesty, fostering good environments so that people stay, and how they totally had huge changes that upset employees after the sale to Disney, but it totally wasn't the sale to Disney guys it was just totally natural and unavoidable, are making it a much more obnoxious read. There's literally an entire paragraph at one point going on about how people need to stop being afraid to speak up and change broken systems just because they're afraid it will eat into their revenue.

It's all relative, at the end of the day, revenue is all that matters. If the suits and studio heads are making gobs of money, they'll let a bit trickle down to the plebs behind the desks and give them a games room, free food, the odd bonus, etc. When money gets tight they'll cut things and people like no tomorrow.

No money means the party is over. Feature animation jobs used to have paid gap time... you'd get a 3 year contract and if there isn't a show ready for 2-3 months for you to work on you got paid 2-3 months to take a break, or work on your own stuff, or work on a short or just do art on the company time. That party is over.

That being said, Disney paying out the huge bonus for Frozen workers was nice.

The idealism may have been there, but once the company gets over 100 people, and investors get involved, the culture will change.

Don't get me wrong, they are great places to work, with awesome benefits, but you have to keep it in your head that it is still work, and its best to keep your interests in mind. Too many people in animation leave money on the table for the "good of the team", meanwhile team leader just purchased another ski villa in utah, and upgraded his gulfstream.

That being said it is stunning to see how ignorant artists can be when they work for a studio, a few of them weren't aware of the wage collusion issues even though they work at studios that participate in it. I had friends at R+H VFX who thought everything was ok even though the company stopped having financial reports, and foreigners in suits were going around in tours every other week. And they cut back on the free tea and coffee. Then they were surprised when they were locked out.. really?

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 10, 2014

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Big K of Justice posted:

Thing is you got to change jobs fairly often, every 2-3 years at a minimum for a while to start maxing out your wages, if you stick at one animation studio forever and ever you'll stagnate in wages

I won't disagree with this but it's sort of a runoff effect of how broken the VFX and animation industry in general is. Right now, I only know people aimming for Pixar just so that they can work there for a few years(or even months, heh) then quit for a big position at a game company. Companies don't even bother with offering full time positions and pretty much is contract based aside from a few. So it promotes this gypsy style of work behavior. Always on the go, always on the move and with LA losing so much to Vancouver, even having a family or a home is looking like a bad idea if you want to continue with film animation. Not to mention moving costs constantly.

It's just funny since these animated/vfx movies make so much money it's silly. I'm noticing that when a company goes public with stocks and such that's the key point where things turn to poo poo quick animationwork aside.

Buckwheat Sings fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 10, 2014

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

It's just depressing to watch.

Working for animation studios pretty much crushed my desire to watch animation anymore. Dragons 2 was fun and one of their best films, but to see all that work, all the layoffs afterwards because DWA still wants to throw films vs R-rated sequels that will steal box office share. The is only so much money going around on a weekend.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 10, 2014

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Big K of Justice posted:

It's just depressing to watch.

Working for animation studios pretty much crushed my desire to watch animation anymore. Dragons 2 was fun and one of their best films, but to see all that work, all the layoffs afterwards because DWA still wants to throw films vs R-rated sequels that will steal box office share. The is only so much money going around on a weekend.

What's funny is that Dragons 2 actually did well at the box office.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/briansolomon/2014/06/16/dreamworks-crushed-on-how-to-train-your-dragon-2-disappointment/

quote:

“How To Train Your Dragon 2″ certainly isn’t a flop. But expectations were high going into the weekend, and it only performed 14% higher than the $43 million opening weekend for the original movie

Heh, "ONLY 14% higher". Just not the :vince: that they were hoping for so hence layoffs so that the company sheet could just etch out another percentage or two profit for that quarter.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I won't disagree with this but it's sort of a runoff effect of how broken the VFX and animation industry in general is. Right now, I only know people aimming for Pixar just so that they can work there for a few years(or even months, heh) then quit for a big position at a game company. Companies don't even bother with offering full time positions and pretty much is contract based aside from a few. So it promotes this gypsy style of work behavior. Always on the go, always on the move and with LA losing so much to Vancouver, even having a family or a home is looking like a bad idea if you want to continue with film animation. Not to mention moving costs constantly.

It's just funny since these animated/vfx movies make so much money it's silly. I'm noticing that when a company goes public with stocks and such that's the key point where things turn to poo poo quick animationwork aside.

If we just pressure them to make 4x the number of tentpole films, surely profits will never stop rising! Surely the cost of feature VFX being subsidized by BC will go on forever, and nobody will ever be voted into power who runs on cutting the budget! I worry that, in addition to the animation/VFX industry woes, that the increased demand of the next few years will break some big names, especially if the situation in BC starts to get really bad.

Shoulda' been an engineer or something.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

chthonic bell posted:

To be honest, "all the women look the same" is a pretty valid criticism. Frozen may be beautiful, but you can't deny the character design is a little lacking.

I don't buy this. It's subtle, but I'm Nordic and both Elsa and Anna look very familiar and close to home to me. The same subtle features are completely absent in Rapunzel for example who looks exotic by comparison to me.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I meant more that Elsa and Anna look downright identical. There's no meaningful variation in their appearance. You could swap their hairstyles and it'd be impossible to tell them apart.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

chthonic bell posted:

I meant more that Elsa and Anna look downright identical. There's no meaningful variation in their appearance. You could swap their hairstyles and it'd be impossible to tell them apart.

They look different enough considering they are sisters.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

socialsecurity posted:

Exactly. Anna and Elsa look just dissimilar enough to be sisters, with the primary variations being in their facial shape/structure. Rapunzel looks like she's halfway between the two of them, though.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

socialsecurity posted:

God drat Elsa has a long neck. They're standing shoulder to shoulder but Elsa is still taller then Anna solely because of her neck.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Disney's just teasing a remake of Swan Lake, clearly.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Okan170 posted:

The environment and corporate attitudes in engineering are so similar its uncanny. Just replace 'tentpole blockbuster' with 'killer app' or 'block build'.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The environment and corporate attitudes in engineering are so similar its uncanny. Just replace 'tentpole blockbuster' with 'killer app' or 'block build'.

There might be some benefits though! Maybe...

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Vargo posted:

Exactly. Anna and Elsa look just dissimilar enough to be sisters, with the primary variations being in their facial shape/structure. Rapunzel looks like she's halfway between the two of them, though.

Isn't Rapunzel suppose to be related to Anna and Elsa somehow? Like a cousin or something?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Revolver Bunker posted:

Isn't Rapunzel suppose to be related to Anna and Elsa somehow? Like a cousin or something?

In the same way that the Tommy Westphall theory works, sure.

Meaning no, it's just a fan thing some people said would be neat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's just a fan thing based on a glimpse of a cameo and the fact that they kinda look similar.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Okan170 posted:

If we just pressure them to make 4x the number of tentpole films, surely profits will never stop rising! Surely the cost of feature VFX being subsidized by BC will go on forever, and nobody will ever be voted into power who runs on cutting the budget! I worry that, in addition to the animation/VFX industry woes, that the increased demand of the next few years will break some big names, especially if the situation in BC starts to get really bad.

It'll implode, you got 2 Indian financial firms buying up VFX companies in financial trouble to get names and experience assuming people don't jump ship during a takeover or merger. The current M.O. is to move everyone to Vancouver because of the 60% labor subsidy. That's animation/vfx party central for another year or two until the taxpayers wake up and demand the handouts to end.

Personally I'm at a stable US studio so I'm ok but I worry about the industry and everyone I work with.. I like everyone to do what they love with some form of stability but right now its a toss up.

Watched Lego Movie and Cloudy 2 tonight... great fun movies.

My backup plan if animation/vfx goes bust is to finish my electrical engineering degree and get an industrial / oil job like a few of my friends who bailed out of the industry.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

God drat Elsa has a long neck. They're standing shoulder to shoulder but Elsa is still taller then Anna solely because of her neck.

They have a lady who is "friends with" Elsa meaning a lady who plays her at Magic Kingdom park who has that neck. It's uncanny. She often gets picked to do photo shoots for press stuff because she looks so much like the cartoon when she has the wig and makeup on.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea it's just a fan thing based on a glimpse of a cameo and the fact that they kinda look similar.

What's the theory?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Elsa and Anna are Rapunzel's cousins. Rapunzel's mom is their aunt. The parents died going to Rapunzel and Eugene's wedding. (The animators did say in a Q&A that the parents died on their way to a wedding.) Then Eugene and Rapunzel made a point of visiting Elsa's coronation because of course you would in that situation. It's a good theory because it adds to the movie in a small way. It explains why the the three princesses look really similar. It adds emotion to the split second Tangled cameo, and it even helps explain why Elsa's parents overreacted so strongly to Elsa's powers.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Wittgen posted:

Elsa and Anna are Rapunzel's cousins. Rapunzel's mom is their aunt. The parents died going to Rapunzel and Eugene's wedding. (The animators did say in a Q&A that the parents died on their way to a wedding.) Then Eugene and Rapunzel made a point of visiting Elsa's coronation because of course you would in that situation. It's a good theory because it adds to the movie in a small way. It explains why the the three princesses look really similar. It adds emotion to the split second Tangled cameo, and it even helps explain why Elsa's parents overreacted so strongly to Elsa's powers.

By the same logic, Scar traveled back in time to Ancient Greece and was murdered by Hercules, and after the events of Aladdin, the Magic Carpet lived a solitary and lonely existence for hundreds of years until winding up in Jazz Era New Orleans.

It's a fanwank theory based on a split second cameo in a Disney movie, even though pretty much every Disney movie has these split second cameos. Which is fine.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Crappy Jack posted:

By the same logic, Scar traveled back in time to Ancient Greece and was murdered by Hercules

Why would he have had to go back in time? Who's to say The Lion King doesn't already take place in antiquity?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Why would he have had to go back in time? Who's to say The Lion King doesn't already take place in antiquity?

Fair point. In which case the question is, did the hyenas kill Scar, or was it his previously unknown decoy?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Elsa and Annie being related to Rapunzel is nothing compared to this convoluted mess:

Petticoat Junction is somehow related to Home Improvement which is somehow related to Law & Order: SVU because of John Munch.

EDIT: Is there someone out there claiming all the Pixar movies are canon because of the Pizza Planet truck?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
We know from Kingdom Hearts that all Disney movies are roughly concurrent, with a +- 10 year offset, but then again KH also contradicts the established Disney canon of Hercules taking place AFTER Aladdin 3. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Crappy Jack posted:

Fair point. In which case the question is, did the hyenas kill Scar, or was it his previously unknown decoy?

Hyenas kill Scar, start dragging him off to a den, get intercepted by hunters who promptly spear Scar and run back to their village to show everyone the lion they killed. Later on a boy called Mowgli wanders into their village, grows up to become a tradesman and sells Scar's hide on the coast. I have no idea who the buyer that exports the thing to Greece is, though.

• Locked thread