Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
This is the only time I will ever say this about any film, ever:

Hancock would have been better with more focus on Jason Bateman's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Edge of Tomorrow was good, but the ending was a bullshit cop-out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vargo posted:

Huh. I think you're actually right. And if that was the case, I wouldn't mind a giant tornado fight, but only if it was kept slightly off screen on a TV or something.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Vincent posted:

I mean, sure, but on the other hand, I don't mind my fun action movies ending like that. Having a character march knowingly off to their death and then being rewarded with a second chance gives me the warm tinglies, no matter how Hollywood Bullshit it is. Reminded me of Stranger Than Fiction in a lot of ways.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Vargo posted:

It was even originally written that way, wasn't it?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jay Dub posted:

It was even originally written that way, wasn't it?

I think so yea, he was a proper secondary character rather than just a dude who kinda is there.

edit: wow, looking it up on wikipedia:

quote:

The new director compared the original script's tone to Leaving Las Vegas (1995), calling it "a scathing character study of this suicidal alcoholic superhero". The director explained the rewrite, "We thought the idea was cool, but we did want to lighten it up. We all did."[21] Before filming began, Tonight, He Comes was retitled John Hancock,[2] and it was eventually shortened to Hancock.[22]

How loving great would Leaving Las Vegas: But With Super Powers be?

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 10, 2014

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Today I got up early, worked out, went for a long walk, opened a new savings account, set up a new budget plan, swung by the hardware store, learned how to patch my own flat bike tire, and bought Leprosy by Death on vinyl. Now I'm thinkin of picking up a new mic cable and working some more on the music project I started recording last week.

I've been killin' it on these days off.

I was about to be all "Hell yeah I'm seeing Death on Saturday" but then I realized you're talking about metal Death and I'm seeing protopunk Death.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Vargo posted:

Agreed thought it did. He was the real hero.

And because I'm trying to be funny poking light but am lame and taken as overly serious.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
At least 25% of the posts made in this thread I consider probating people for because I reckon they have to be drunk posts. They just have to be. They must be, because why in the love of rear end would any rational sober person say that, let alone post it publicly for the scrutiny of others, they have to be drunkposting please god please let them be drunkposting.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
How dare you

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Vargo posted:

At least 25% of the posts made in this thread I consider probating people for because I reckon they have to be drunk posts. They just have to be. They must be, because why in the love of rear end would any rational sober person say that, let alone post it publicly for the scrutiny of others, they have to be drunkposting please god please let them be drunkposting.

It is a joke but obviously retarded.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Vargo posted:

You'd have to be drunk to like KISS, yes.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Vincent posted:

Other than it being a happy ending, I don't really see why. "The barely-explained magic alien blood doesn't work like I think it should"?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

morestuff posted:

Other than it being a happy ending, I don't really see why. "The barely-explained magic alien blood doesn't work like I think it should"?

No, not like that. I mean like you have this character who goes from self-serving slick executive to ends up having to sacrifice himself over and over again in order to win the war and finally who has to sacrifice himself anonymously in order to save mankind. But then nope! everyone lives! yay! I don't care about how magic alien blood works.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Vargo posted:

i jerked off to this post

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Soderbergh and Clive Owen's show that hasn't even debuted yet got picked up for a second season.

That dude retired well

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vincent posted:

No, not like that. I mean like you have this character who goes from self-serving slick executive to ends up having to sacrifice himself over and over again in order to win the war and finally who has to sacrifice himself anonymously in order to save mankind. But then nope! everyone lives! yay! I don't care about how magic alien blood works.

Why are happy endings bad? They are good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vincent posted:

You'd have to be drunk to like KISS, yes.

You don't have to but it don't hurt.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Why are happy endings bad? They are good.

They are, I just didn't like that particular ending to that particular movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fair enough. I don't agree. But that's OK.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vincent posted:

They are, I just didn't like that particular ending to that particular movie.

I think the point of his arc was he was WILLING to make his anonymous sacrifice that was his journey, I think once that's established they're allowed to give him a reward of a happier ending. My issue was when happy endings don't feel earned, and I don't think that was the case here.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I'd only heard the Melvins version, but this version is good too. The Melvins didn't just like Kiss enough to cover Going Blind, they also did a series of solo EPs like KISS, with matching album art to boot. Dave Grohl played drums for Buzzo's EP, too.

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Practically any other title would be more apt than "Wild Child" for something that sounds that boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTpbwO5DeRo

This song is rad.

The Thing is playing this weekend, but my mom and 14-year-old brother are visiting town. I wonder if my mom will let me take my brother to an R-rated movie. Probably.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
What 14 year old hasn't seen an R rated movie? If he hasn't you owe him

Oh man I wish I could be 14 and see the Thing for the first time again. I should totally go to that I love that movie ughh

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Vargo posted:

lol

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I haven't posted sober in months
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYbJmQj5VkE

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Replacements and The Melvins liked Kiss enough to include Kiss covers on each of their respective best albums.

Do you have better taste than The Replacements and The Melvins? I put it to you that you do not.

There is no Kiss cover on Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Vargo posted:

only 25%?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FishBulb posted:

What 14 year old hasn't seen an R rated movie? If he hasn't you owe him

Oh man I wish I could be 14 and see the Thing for the first time again. I should totally go to that I love that movie ughh

When I was my brother's age, my mom was very strict about my movie-watching habits, and hadn't let me see R-rated movies on TV. She's been a lot less strict on him, so I'll probably be able to take him.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I'd only heard the Melvins version, but this version is good too. The Melvins didn't just like Kiss enough to cover Going Blind, they also did a series of solo EPs like KISS, with matching album art to boot. Dave Grohl played drums for Buzzo's EP, too.

I'd forgotten how good the Ace Frehley solo is on that song.

This one is the best song on that album though, and maybe my favorite Kiss song ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ji-LXHZt4

God drat that's a good performance too.

I promise I'll stop posting about Kiss now .

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
This new version of Dwarf Fortress might be the best yet:

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Dickeye is gonna become a tobacco farmer.

Tight barthe ref, playa.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Out of the Furnace just got added to Netflix, I thought it was a pretty neat movie and it seems like nobody saw it so check it out, y'all.

It's a great, distinctly modern successor to Rolling Thunder.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 11, 2014

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe Hancock is Bipolar?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Out of the Furnace just got added to Netflix, I thought it was a pretty neat movie and it seems like nobody saw it so check it out, y'all.

I thought it was pretty solid yeah.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I've never posted drunk, because I've never really been drunk, but I did post while having an allergic reaction to a Seagrams Escape once.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I've posted drunk, high, on shrooms, on doses of Adderall that would kill a bull elephant, blacked out on klonopin (much to my embarrassment), and on painkillers.

I mean, other than "high" the rest of those have only happened once or twice, but I think about a third of my SA posts have been made stoned out of my gourd.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The trick is not writing "I'm drunk", or any variation there of, in the post. Which is actually a lot harder than it sounds.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I've posted drunk, high, on shrooms, on doses of Adderall that would kill a bull elephant, blacked out on klonopin (much to my embarrassment), and on painkillers.

I mean, other than "high" the rest of those have only happened once or twice, but I think about a third of my SA posts have been made stoned out of my gourd.

you don't say

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is the first thing I've heard about that movie that's made me want to check it out.

I've never posted drunk, but unfortunately that's basically only because I rarely post.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Looks like a giant drop of oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.
I've never drunk posted. Vargo would unquestionably know if I did, because I virtually always drunk text him and usually also drunk tweet about whatever I'm doing.

• Locked thread