Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

I would have to place the real blame on a soulless piece of trash named brute if I'm being honest. If we had Tuscan everything would be O.K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
Alright just thought of this genius idea.

So when you are selecting match-making maps with your krude dudes, how about an option that will randomly pick a map from the current pool.

"But Daeno, isn't that the same as selecting all the maps?"

No, because the more popular maps always pop first, leaving the less popular maps to rot and eventually get thrown by the wayside.

"But Daeno, people will just avoid that option, or leave if they get an undesirable map"

Not if you make it so completing a "random" queue map will complete a weekly mission and give you a random skin. Just like with the current missions.

BOOM.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

lol, there it is. not trying to actually qualify any of my opinions with this, but i have at least done a fair amount of scrimming and ringing for open/poo poo IM teams/one main team that was chill.

I do think that you're vastly underestimating the gap between whatever teams you may have played with and a pro team. The higher you go, the smaller the margins are between winning and losing and the more difficult those margins are to achieve. The last time I was on a roster of a competitive team was quite some time ago, but from my experience I don't really think NBK is "bullshitting" - while we could learn a new map relatively quickly from a layout perspective, it took a LOT of playing time to develop the type of chemistry and flow required to really compete at a high level. Yes, this includes stupid poo poo like practicing flashes/smokes/coordinated rushes/general strategy gameplanning etc, but also just because you've been playing with a teammate for a while on dust2 doesn't mean you automatically have a sense for each others behavior on a new map. That's really super important and it only comes with practice time.

Granted, if a map announcement is made, all of the pro teams will have the same amount of time to prepare and so should end up at roughly the same level of preparedness. But at the same time, it's totally understandable to me that they would be against it, because they're just not going to feel totally comfortable with the maps (even with the knowledge that the other team probably doesn't either). Personally, I played this game competitively when cbble was in league rotations and honestly I always kind of enjoyed playing it. It's a worse map in GO than it was in 1.6, though, for the reasons already mentioned by others.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

lol, there it is. not trying to actually qualify any of my opinions with this, but i have at least done a fair amount of scrimming and ringing for open/poo poo IM teams/one main team that was chill. so yeah definitely not invite level practices, but have you never checked out any good players streams when they stream their team practices? give me an example of what requires that much time to prepare.
Preparing for a lan, having to practice two new maps is a big deal. One new map would have been smarter. It takes around a week of practice for a map to not be an uncoordinated poo poo fest for a team. I'm not saying they will approach world class team competency in a week, but after a week of practice you should have better coordination than anything you see in mm or low tier teams. Having two new maps for a LAN is brutal because you still have to practice other maps. I am not even sure how teams should approach practicing for the LAN. It's not like a league introducing new maps where you can spend an entire week practicing the new map and only the new map.

They're not going to be where they want to be on the new maps, but it shouldn't be bad for spectators or anything.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 11, 2014

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^
Summer is heating up http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2014/07/9866/
10 JUL 2014 -

Today’s update introduces the all new eSports 2014 Summer Case, along with a host of updates to gameplay, maps, Operation Breakout, and more!

quote:

Release Notes for 7/10/2014
10 JUL 2014 - http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2014/07/9892/

[CSGO]
- Introduced the new eSports 2014 Summer Case.
[OPERATION BREAKOUT]
- Added quick link to Operation Journal on player profile.
- Added several new missions to the mission drop list.
- If you have two missions that you haven’t been able to complete for some time and you are eligible for next mission drop, you are now allowed to delete one of your current missions.
- Journal will auto-close when a competitive match is found.
- When exiting a lobby, the mission panel now enables properly.
- Fixed an overlapping mission panel in Play With Friends lobby.
[GAMEPLAY]
- Adjusted penetration system to have bullets lose less damage for travelling through mass and more for the initial impact.
- Increased penetration bonus slightly for penetrating objects that start and end with plastic and cardboard surfaces.
- Penetration Power for AWP, G3SG1 and SCAR-20 has been lowered slightly because their damage naturally gives them higher penetration.
- Fixed bad penetration results with surfaces that started bsp and ended displacements or vice versa.
- Fixed bad penetration results when penetration exit surface was a nodraw surface.
- Penetrating a glass surface no longer erroneously consumes more damage on impact than other more solid surfaces.
- sv_showimpacts_penetration now shows how far a bullet penetrated before it terminated and stopped travelling.
- sv_showimpacts_penetration now shows when the bullets stops.
[SDK]
- Added key “Only Spawn-Valid Destinations” to trigger_teleport that allows mapper to ignore teleport targets that are not valid player spawn positions ( blocked by geometry or other players ).
- Added new demoinfogo.exe command line tool. Run this on a demo file and it will dump out demo packet info to the console. The source code is available in demoinfogo.zip.
[MISC]
- Added context menu for all items that tells you how many items you need to fulfill a trade-up contract (entry links to the marketplace, pre-filtered for items that can fulfill the contract).
- Fixed overview images not loading for custom maps with the dds embedded in the bsp.
- Added a default image to the loading screen.
- Additional work on memory savings for servers. Memory consumption should now be 50% or less of what it was two weeks ago.
- Additional work on memory savings for clients. Memory consumption should be about 165 MB less than it was two weeks ago, which should improve stability on 32-bit Windows.
- Fixed async rcon socket connections from OSX clients to be fully compliant with standard (thanks protonic86).
- Fixed a bug that could cause packet loss on Windows servers.
- Suiciding players or players who died naturally (like world damage) can no longer “save” another player.
- “You saved X” won’t show if the player on your team who you saved is an enemy (like if mp_teammates_are_enemies is on, for example).
[MAPS]
MIRAGE
- Updated look of inner middle window wall materials.
- Updated the Catwalk to Kitchen window bang to better visually designate what is bangable and what isn’t.
- Replaced the vent cover in window room with one that allows more visibility through it.
- Connecter to A wall now has a blown out, wood covered wall on the left to visually designate a bangable spot to allow more options for taking/retaking A.

DUST
- Replaced all game-play affecting double doors with the new metal ones.
DUST2
- Replaced all game-play affecting double doors with the new metal ones.
- Fixed some bad geometry in various places that allowed bullet penetration when it shouldn’t.
INFERNO
- Replaced non-wallbangable coil at B with bangable variant.
- Thinned half-wall at B to allow banging down from site.
OVERGROWN
- Fixed various exploits that allowed you to reach unintended areas.
- The windows along the top of B are now breakable on T side, the same as they are on CT side.
- The roof windows at Inside are now breakable.
INSERTION
- Fixed players getting stuck on each other after a teleport in competitive.
- Added cover and some foliage to east side of hostage rescue.
- Added buyzones at teleport destinations.
- Removed collision from villa windows when glass is broken so grenades can be thrown through them.
- Minor lighting and visual work.
CASTLE
- Moved T spawn further away from bomb sites to increase the time it takes to reach them.
- Moved CT spawn closer to A.
- Added a big column to A spiral stairs, removed well.
- Increased brightness.
- Added another light outside of hut.
- Decreased reflections on windows.
- Other minor improvements.

Powerful Wizard IRL fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 11, 2014

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

*knocks thread onto the ground with baton*

YOU! VOTE THAT THREAD ONE

/u toss thread into trashcan

YEAH. LIKE THAT. HEH HEH HEH

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

kcer posted:

If map makers didn't take such joy in including as many corners, cubby-holes and obstructions, every new map would be received much more easily. I'd sooner see a new map with too little cover than too much, letting players get used to the layout in general without having to worry about a million angles.

Running into B on Valve's cbble is honestly some sort of joke. A CT could be in about 8 different spots before I even turn to the right.

I came here to post this exact same sentiment. I feel like the cs:go devs see the game as some of kind Tom Clancy/Rainbow 6 type game. Even dust2 has too much clutter. I get super pissed when I'm retreating from cat to A plat and I walk into those stupid baskets.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Hey does anyone know when drops reset in CSGO?

Or does that not matter and you're able to get case drops no matter what?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Pretty sure it resets weekly. I think the cap is 4 drops per week?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

pandaK posted:

Hey does anyone know when drops reset in CSGO?

Tuesday during maintenance I believe

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

dust2 double doors are now metal, they now only wallbang for about 4-5dmg with rifles and have to be shot near perpendicular to actually bang through. :shepface:

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

mcvey posted:

dust2 double doors are now metal, they now only wallbang for about 4-5dmg with rifles and have to be shot near perpendicular to actually bang through. :shepface:

Honestly a good change, door picking is pretty loving annoying for everyone involved.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
How do I combat anxiety in CS?

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Blame everyone else when you gently caress up

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

down with slavery posted:

Honestly a good change, door picking is pretty loving annoying for everyone involved.

I felt it was fine before the last penetration buff. It sucked getting hit for 60~ while crossing but it quickly taught you how to smoke DD(without giving up catwalk and mid). You can still shoot through DD with an AWP for 40~ but this seems to be an overcorrection to an easily solved problem.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 11, 2014

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
The best and most obvious solution to which is to remove all sniper rifles.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

mcvey posted:

lol, yeah uh i just went and took a look, killed a bot in twenty eight chest shots with an AK. with headshots it took 5 AK bullets.

fuckin lol.

also it has nothing to do with being able to pick through them.. juking around the doors and spamming the poo poo out of guys is a pretttty significant factor in the way the map plays. who knows, I haven't tried it yet but as somebody who spends a huge chunk of time as a T hanging out near xbox/lower/doors this is probably going to be pretty loving lame.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

:420:

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^
There's a lot of utility in being able to spot and shoot through doors on both offense and defense imo. Across the entire map, lol

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Anxiety about what? Dying is a part of the game and lets you reflect on what went wrong. It also gives you time to take a little break and collect yourself.

edit: It also lets you anticipate what you want to do next round (thinking about how the other team is playing etc) or in the future in that situation. Dying is no big deal man. Neither is losing. You're there to get better and have fun, and winning or losing doesn't help you get better or have fun. You're there to hit better shots, hit shots more consistently, play tighter angles, make smarter plays, get better knowledge of sound distances, get better knowledge of timings, improve flash dodging, make better decisions, etc.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 11, 2014

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Always Be Chillin

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Khorne posted:

Anxiety about what? Dying is a part of the game and lets you reflect on what went wrong. It also gives you time to take a little break and collect yourself.

I see a lot of friends do this irl so this may sound dumb but it's really not: Take your loving hands off the mouse and keyboard after you die. I'm serious. A ton of people stay on while speccing their teammates like they're still playing and I watch their whole body tense up. As soon as you take your hands off you loosey-goosey and everything is ok. Just sit back and chill and reflect on how terribly you played the previous round.

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item

down with slavery posted:

Also if you are fast enough you can still leg/pick someone through the gap(unless the gap has changed I haven't seen it yet). I feel like people will be less inclined to smoke it now.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxEz8c_INtQ&feature=youtu.be

:jihad: Terrorists Win

VoiceOfIntuition
Apr 11, 2009
The double doors are changed so that awping is just like before: tag through door for roughly half damage or headshot for kill.

Rifle fights through doors however, are nerfed out because your bullets pretty much have to be perpendicular to the door to do like 8 damage. No more bursting each other through double doors, or spamming the corners of the doors when you need to take mid/ b/ long-a after a little while

Also someone found out that kill shots stop all bullets, :rip: double kills

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

teagone posted:

We're talking about general opinions/knowledge about something, yes?
Percy Harvin's opinion on how to best return a kickoff is definitely more valid than that of someone who has never played in the NFL.
Percy Harvin's opinion on whether or not kickoffs should be removed is not necessarily more valid than that of someone who has never played in the NFL.

Same with CS players. Their opinions on how to take a site are gold. Their opinions on tournament format are not necessarily that good.

This isn't that complicated.

AugmentedVision fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 11, 2014

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Wait so I can't lurk mid dd and blast retards with my xm from the other side anymore? Well... gently caress. Not to mention pistols will have zero ability to spam in crucial "poo poo gotta reload" moments and with the AK (or should I say everything shooting through DD) being nerfed basically there goes any reason to even try wallbanging or controlling mid with rifles. :dogout:

OoohU fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 11, 2014

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!
It's also interesting that they swapped all the doors for the new material, where only mid was an "issue". Long and B doors could have remained the penetrable material without any issues in my opinion.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

augustob posted:

It's also interesting that they swapped all the doors for the new material, where only mid was an "issue". Long and B doors could have remained the penetrable material without any issues in my opinion.

8bitlawd posted:

there goes any reason to even try wallbanging or controlling mid with rifles. :dogout:

VoiceOfIntuition posted:

Worst update since april 2002

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

augustob posted:

True, but they look uniformly super cool now.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wait, no more double kills? How the hell is that a good idea? I hope we start seeing strategies of people crouching in front of each other.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Wait, no more double kills? How the hell is that a good idea? I hope we start seeing strategies of people crouching in front of each other.
It was an accidental bug, notice there was no penetration icon on kills, and they already patched & fixed it so that it works again.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I got a mission to kill 40 people with the galil in deathmatch.

It was worth it though because the reward drop sold for $5 gabe bux. This dlc more than pays for itself.

VoiceOfIntuition
Apr 11, 2009

VoiceOfIntuition posted:

I think this is now hotfixed. Who needs a QA team when you can have the entire community making videos and playtesting for you?

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

teagone posted:

We're talking about general opinions/knowledge about something, yes?

I don't golf.

huh no what the gently caress are you? we're talking about unchecked aggression here dude

obviously you're not a golfer.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

So I just picked this game up, I skipped CS: Source all together but played pretty regular during 1.x days, first handful of competitive games I've absolutely steamrolled the other team and even get reactions like "OH GOD HES NOT EVEN RANKED" is the skill level in GO just really low or did shaking hands with ksharp a decade ago give me autism?

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

As someone who has been playing the game for only a few months now off an on (maybe 3 - 4 times a month), I always find it is best to relax when you finally die. Don't sit there and listen to people freak out about rank, slide the headset off if you have to til the next round. Just doing that alone helped me improve since I was getting zero advice and being blasted with a sea of bullshit when starting out. Of course take and ask for help when needed, but generally in PUGs 99% of the time you will just get people crying about something or another if you are losing and it does not help.

Comedy option if your team starts talking about what sided map it is, just say 'It's skill sided' and listen to the tears roll in. It only works sometimes, but generally when it does you can get several people going at it.

Also drink and :420:

Photex posted:

So I just picked this game up, I skipped CS: Source all together but played pretty regular during 1.x days, first handful of competitive games I've absolutely steamrolled the other team and even get reactions like "OH GOD HES NOT EVEN RANKED" is the skill level in GO just really low or did shaking hands with ksharp a decade ago give me autism?

If entering games on your own you start at the lowest rank, so naturally if you can bare minimum left click while pointing at enemies you will probably roll hard. Once you start playing more, and get 10 competitive wins your Rank will be visible, but I believe your rank is still behind the scenes used to place you in the proper skill area even when unlisted. The more you play, the harder things will become.

Dr. Doji Suave fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 11, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Take a month off and play starcraft 2 on the ranked ladder, then come back and CS feels relaxing.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

If you make a living by playing video games then shut up and learn the maps. What else do you have to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hello internet posted:

If you make a living by playing video games then shut up and learn the maps. What else do you have to do?
Question is about learning them in sufficient or insufficient period of time.

• Locked thread