Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

CODChimera posted:

Does it even matter if you knew someone who disappeared?

A poo poo load of people just instantly vanished all over the world at the same time. Surely that would concern everyone....
Apparently not, if you ask some posters here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think the premise is far fetched, because 2% of the world's population disappearing would be a huge deal, but the way that the characters are dealing with it is so contrived. None of the action on screen makes sense for me. It doesn't feel like a narrative where one point leads to the next. Instead, I get the feeling that Lindelof is making a bunch of very pained metaphors about faith instead of actually writing solid characters or solid stories, and then backfilling the story from there. It's not even satisfying as a big extended metaphor, since it's basically a retread of the same boring PHIL101 poo poo he's been doing since LOST. Also, the camerawork and direction are really loving ugly.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

beanieson posted:

my wife and I could not stop laughing at the possibility that his bagel had been raptured away. I'm giving this another couple of episodes to get interesting...

People gotta eat in...uhh...wherever they were raptured to.

I like to imagine 2% of other things went missing, but people never really noticed them.

"Honey, does this bag of potato chips feel a little light to you?"

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
One thing I wonder which I don't know if they answered or not: Did anyone actually witness anyone disappearing? The Pilot made it seem like people vanished out of sight. I didn't know if anyone had actually seen anyone, because then that might shine some light on what happened. Did they just "blip" out? Were they lifted into the sky by a white light? Did they transport out like on Star Trek?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

the posted:

One thing I wonder which I don't know if they answered or not: Did anyone actually witness anyone disappearing? The Pilot made it seem like people vanished out of sight. I didn't know if anyone had actually seen anyone, because then that might shine some light on what happened. Did they just "blip" out? Were they lifted into the sky by a white light? Did they transport out like on Star Trek?

I wondered that earlier. Maybe Kevin's dad did, since he went nuts.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Theyve only specifically talked about dogs who witnessed it directly. The implication was that they vanished into thin air but the explanation leaves room for something wilder.

The disappearing would have to be rather quick.... Laundromat lady turned away for several seconds at the most iirc.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

In the pilot there was also the kid walking around yelling for his dad. Also I'd have a hard time believing that with 140 Million plus people that not a single person had eyes on someone so I'd venture to guess it would be like they just beamed away in an instant. I'm also interested in Nora's storyline. Like a few others when they introduced the whole gun thing and then she visited that house I really thought it was like some sort of euthanasia thing but I'm a bit glad it wasn't. The questions that she was asking were also pretty interesting as far as trying to get an idea of what exactly the gently caress happened. What did all of these people have in common? Given what the creators have said I doubt we'll get much in the way of in depth on the event itself, but I'm still onboard with the show. Really don't know what the gently caress about gun dude and why are there so many wild dogs now? In a small town like that not too many people would have disappeared so there shouldn't be a reason that there are roaming packs of formerly domesticated dogs.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

In the pilot there was also the kid walking around yelling for his dad. Also I'd have a hard time believing that with 140 Million plus people that not a single person had eyes on someone so I'd venture to guess it would be like they just beamed away in an instant. I'm also interested in Nora's storyline. Like a few others when they introduced the whole gun thing and then she visited that house I really thought it was like some sort of euthanasia thing but I'm a bit glad it wasn't. The questions that she was asking were also pretty interesting as far as trying to get an idea of what exactly the gently caress happened. What did all of these people have in common? Given what the creators have said I doubt we'll get much in the way of in depth on the event itself, but I'm still onboard with the show. Really don't know what the gently caress about gun dude and why are there so many wild dogs now? In a small town like that not too many people would have disappeared so there shouldn't be a reason that there are roaming packs of formerly domesticated dogs.

They have shown other domesticated dogs that are fine. There was one sitting around during the Heroes Day thing in the pilot.
From my own experience with dogs, they tend to be looking at their owners far more than people look at each other in day to day interactions, so it makes sense that more of them would have gone bonkers.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
The real unanswered question in all of this is whether or not the down syndrome guy had more than 30 sexual partners.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
What a chore, I'm out.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Yeah instead of depressing most of these scenes just come off as boring. Will give it one more episode.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I think the questions, both the context of them and the number (150?) were to convey that nobody has the slightest idea what happened. It's such a broad scope it almost seems pointless.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

maniacripper posted:

I think the questions, both the context of them and the number (150?) were to convey that nobody has the slightest idea what happened. It's such a broad scope it almost seems pointless.

Yeah this. They haven't even successfully narrowed down toward a reason for the departure yet. They're just trying desperately to find something those people had in common.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Promoted Pawn posted:

Yeah this. They haven't even successfully narrowed down toward a reason for the departure yet. They're just trying desperately to find something those people had in common.

Considering actual babies disappeared they really should fix some of those questions, like did that lady ask the woman from the first episode if her baby had 20 sexual partners or had been to Brazil?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

the posted:

It's implied in the first episode that the sheriff was banging his mistress when she vanished, making him go on a crazy naked rampage.

Talking about the actual vanishings, is no one else concerned about the gaping plot hole of the fact that there was no sound of the air rushing in to the fill the space previously occupied by a person. gently caress this show.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 10, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Junkenstein posted:

Talking about the actual vanishings, is no one else concerned about the gaping plot hole of the fact that there was no sound of the air rushing in to the fill the space previously occupied by a person. gently caress this show.

According to Wolfram Alpha the average volume of a human body is 66.4 liters (though I'd fathom most Goons are closer to 80). That's only 2.34 cubic feet (tack on a bit more just in case WA's just counting the 'gooey' parts of us) - I doubt you'd hear air rushing into that small of space, and if you could, it'd be less than a whisper.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 10, 2014

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I thought it would make a *pop* because of how instantaneous it was. Maybe I'm mixing it up with some other fiction where something similar happend.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I would imagine there would be video footage of people disappearing. Security cameras in parking lots/stores/etc.

As for the Nora gun thing, I would imagine it's kinda normal for people determining the validity of insurance claims to be packing some kind of heat, especially if they're going into people's houses.

Junkenstein posted:

I thought it would make a *pop* because of how instantaneous it was. Maybe I'm mixing it up with some other fiction where something similar happend.

I don't think that's the type of show they're going for. It's like how in Star Wars there is sound in space. Why? Because choosing scientific accuracy in that facet would be really, really weird and not conducive to the atmosphere.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 10, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dirty Job posted:

I don't think that's the type of show they're going for. It's like how in Star Wars there is sound in space. Why? Because choosing scientific accuracy in that facet would be really, really weird and not conducive to the atmosphere.

I'm not really sure why but that reminded me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuw1mN_PUpI

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

socialsecurity posted:

Considering actual babies disappeared they really should fix some of those questions, like did that lady ask the woman from the first episode if her baby had 20 sexual partners or had been to Brazil?

The baby certainly could have been taken to Brazil at some point, but that's beside the point; it's 150 questions that they are needing to ask of millions and millions of people, and of those questions, some certainly won't be applicable but in trying to gather as much data as possible, they just shotgun them at everyone regardless of how unlikely it is that they would be applicable to the subject. The people asking them are certainly not trained researchers - they're most likely the equivalent of census workers - and rather than leave anything to the discretion of the interviewer they just go on down the line. For some studies I worked on we took exactly that kind of approach because we were asking so many people questions and we didn't want our preconceived biases (see: you assuming the baby couldn't have been taken to Brazil) to get in the way of finding potentially useful or interesting bits of data.

Again, though, the whole point is to show how absolutely clueless everyone is as to why this happened, and to help convey a sense of desperation for answers. Their universe, the very fabric of reality, changed suddenly and in a way that is impossible to deny, so they are thrashing around for answers.

What I like is that so far they've done a good job of conveying a very quiet kind of desperation - some (most) people in the show are kind of trying to go along but it feels like the crazy is just around the corner. In a universe that can completely change the rules on you at the last moment (or worse, may no longer have any rules, maybe never did), what's the point of trying to maintain ANY sort of order? How ridiculous is it to bother worrying about any of the poo poo people worry about or caring about what people usually care about when you or someone else may just pfft out of existence at any moment? Grace period's over, people are realizing just how hosed up this is and how completely impossible it is to explain or even really deal with, and things are about to fly apart.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
The people disappearing alone violates multiple laws of physics, so getting all science-y on this show won't really help.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Here's a hint:

When you watch a show in which an entire faction of the show is devoted to telling people to stop looking for answers - that's probably a huge hint that you should stop, too.

The point of The Leftovers, just like Lost, isn't to unravel the mystery of what happened. The point is to watch how people respond to something completely unexplainable that has changed everything. The NYT reviewer described the book as "a troubling disquisition on how ordinary people react to extraordinary and inexplicable events, the power of family to hurt and to heal, and the unobtrusive ease with which faith can slide into fanaticism." Nobody who works on the show really cares how the people vanished. That's not what they want to discuss with us.

nopants
May 29, 2004
In the world of the The Leftovers, if you can't find your bagel, you have to consider that it could have disappeared into thin air.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Dirty Job posted:

I would imagine there would be video footage of people disappearing. Security cameras in parking lots/stores/etc.

Maybe that's WHY only 2% of the population disappeared; that's the amount of people who were completely unobserved at particular that moment.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

nopants posted:

In the world of the The Leftovers, if you can't find your bagel, you have to consider that it could have disappeared into thin air.

My keys were right here. There's no way they could have just gotten up and lef-....

...or did they?

plainswalker75 posted:

Maybe that's WHY only 2% of the population disappeared; that's the amount of people who were completely unobserved at particular that moment.

That's what I'm guessing, but considering some people supposedly witnessed other people disappearing, I'm not so sure about it. They'll probably just skim over that aspect of the show, which I'm fine with.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
In a world where one family tries to eat an entire KFC basket, one man will have to decide what to do with...

The Leftovers

Sundays on HBO.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

tadashi posted:

Here's a hint:

When you watch a show in which an entire faction of the show is devoted to telling people to stop looking for answers - that's probably a huge hint that you should stop, too.

The point of The Leftovers, just like Lost, isn't to unravel the mystery of what happened. The point is to watch how people respond to something completely unexplainable that has changed everything. The NYT reviewer described the book as "a troubling disquisition on how ordinary people react to extraordinary and inexplicable events, the power of family to hurt and to heal, and the unobtrusive ease with which faith can slide into fanaticism." Nobody who works on the show really cares how the people vanished. That's not what they want to discuss with us.

LOST had interesting characters and fascinating stories to tell, this show hasn't so far and I guess that's why people focus on the "mystery" because everything else is so boring/dull.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

plainswalker75 posted:

The Sheriff was balls deep in someone who vanished.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Okay, I'm glad I stopped to read the OP. When initially hearing about this, I had read the plot wrong. I thought 2% of the town's population vanished and was like "what's the big deal?" but knowing it's global, I'm definitely checking this out when I get home.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

The TV selection right now is pretty barren, so this is at least one show I can look forward too each week.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

tadashi posted:

Here's a hint:

A huge spoiler from the novel if anyone cares, the novel ends with the implication that as new generations are born, the mystery of what happened is going to matter less and less until it just becomes this little footnote in history. The point being that things that are earthshattering to us in the moment don't life from going on and it might just be better to learn to move on yourself.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 10, 2014

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
2% of the population just didn't want to watch the show anymore.

Those in this thread are

The Leftovers

Sundays on HBO.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Junkenstein posted:

The Sheriff was balls deep in someone who vanished.

Doesn't mean he was looking at her

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

the posted:

2% of the population just didn't want to watch the show anymore.

Those in this thread are

The Leftovers

Sundays on HBO.

:iamafag:

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

Their clothes disappear with them, right? How many people lost the keys to their house because their spouse or whatever had their keys in their pocket when they got raptured?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

BoredDG posted:

Their clothes disappear with them, right? How many people lost the keys to their house because their spouse or whatever had their keys in their pocket when they got raptured?

I think you cracked the case. It's a conspiracy by the Global Locksmith's Unions.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Imagine if the chief's dick disappeared with the woman it was inside of. It would explain why his wife left him.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Hmmm, yeah, I think running around all mental would probably be justified in that case.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
The show implied that he was having sex when the incident occurred but I don't recall whether or not that woman (whether it was his wife or not) vanished. Also I'm pretty sure that the quick cut shot of the guy running around naked was actually his father so the two events are unrelated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

lifts cats over head posted:

The show implied that he was having sex when the incident occurred but I don't recall whether or not that woman (whether it was his wife or not) vanished. Also I'm pretty sure that the quick cut shot of the guy running around naked was actually his father so the two events are unrelated.

I'd say that was definitely him flashing back to a moment where he went crazy, and running around naked like a loon would be perfectly understandable for someone whose partner just vanished whilst he was inside her.

• Locked thread