Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Nah, that's not right. You can still punch with hands that are holding things.

Also, I think I found the cincher that made this feel so different from the previous version - the AI doesn't seem to know how to yank their weapons out of enemies yet. Once that dagger is lodged in guy's chest, it's curbstomping time.

e: oh, what do you know

scamtank fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Angry Diplomat posted:

Attacks are kinda randomized when you bump-attack (walk into an enemy) and that's how all NPCs attack. The second axe took away his free hands, so his options were basically "hit with axe" or "kick."

scamtank posted:

I've wrestled with this issue before. When you get opportunity attacks (blue exclamation mark in the attack aiming menu), they're assigned to a completely random attack on a completely random bodypart. And the AI will never pass up a chance to bite someone in the eyelid if given the chance. And since the list of eligible targets is more than half made up of fingers, toes, teeth and facial features...

There's something a bit fucky about the general attack choices, though. Sometimes the AI downs an opponent and then ignores the fact that it has a 100% chance to hit the head with that axe and just fruitlessly punch and kick until it runs out of bluster and collapses from the exertion.

Hm, weird. Has this always been the case, or is it a thing in the new version? It's kinda annoying.

Because, yeah, the axedwarf kept punching the human in the head after downing him and eventually passed out.

(The human regained consciousness, bit the dwarf's head and kept shaking him around by it until he bled to death.)

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

The targeting issue? Yeah, it has. I made an effort to mitigate the effect in Lepermod by removing half of the unarmed attacks from "civilized" humanoids and turning fingers, toes and most facial features internal bodyparts that you couldn't specifically target. It helped a bit.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Chain-Whip vs Watermelon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whuBjeGxQig

Dual lightsaber Chain-Whip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxJoM4NbDWU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

scamtank posted:

Nah, that's not right. You can still punch with hands that are holding things.

Huh, that's odd. My adventurer stopped punching entirely when I traded her war hammer up for a maul. (She really liked kicking stuff in the tongue from behind though)

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Flint_Paper posted:

Here's a thing. I recently entered a competition to write about "Your beautiful game". I wrote what was basically an essay about Dwarf Fortress, despite the fact that every time I've tried to play it it's kicked me in the head. I remember watching Major Failure play it back in the Boatmurdered days and god drat if it wasn't just as confusing then as it is now. I'm trying though. Reinstalled the other night. Immediate confusion once again.

Here's the mercenary part: would it be cool to post a link to the competition? My entry's been shortlisted and if I win (by getting the most votes) I win a PS4/WiiU etc. I'm getting married this year so all my money is going on that, rather than expensive toys.

If anyone wanted to give me a vote, that would be really kind and I'll post the link. If not (and if this looks like the desperate plea for attention that it clearly is) I'll gladly bugger straight off/post the essay here in case anyone wants to read it (I think it's kinda sweet).

Go ahead, link it, anything to raise awareness for this game. It saddens me every time I have to make a ten-minute explanation of what I think is fun; it would be great for more people to try it for themselves.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Another TWBT version - fog and shadow customization are finally in. The multilevel functionality is also being folded into the main branch, so that's good.

I forgot to mention that the good people responsible for charting out the DFHack connection points have an automatically generated progress indicator that keeps track of how much of it is done. I've plopped it in the OP.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Zomborgon posted:

Go ahead, link it, anything to raise awareness for this game. It saddens me every time I have to make a ten-minute explanation of what I think is fun; it would be great for more people to try it for themselves.

Link here: http://yourbeautifulgame.com/entry/1144828

I think it's a nice description of the game for people who have no idea what it is. Describes it as nightmarishly obtuse but with a wealth of fun to be had if you stick at it.

If anyone liked it, do feel free to click vote! That would be lovely.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ignimbrite posted:

e: uhhh I think my dwarfs just robbed a trade caravan of its cloth to put in the hospital :stare:

Nice to know this bug still exists :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Flint_Paper posted:

I think it's a nice description of the game for people who have no idea what it is. Describes it as nightmarishly obtuse but with a wealth of fun to be had if you stick at it.

:lol: Look at the views. Only 19 votes, but 10 times more views than everything else combined.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

my dad posted:

:lol: Look at the views. Only 19 votes, but 10 times more views than everything else combined.

Yeah. No idea what happened there, unless the people who follow me on Twitter are mad keen on reading about dwarves. Then again, a lot of the other entries are along the lines of "I like call of duty you can shoot a mans" so I dunno :shrug:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Flint_Paper posted:

Clicked to vote, and very amused to find it still has more votes than any of the other finalists listed. Dwarf Fortress rules, but remember to use Turtle Beach headsets to play it! :v:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This world I generated has a kobold hamlet. :stare:

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Never touched Masterwork, but now I kinda want to... any tutorials or tips you'd recommend?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Is there anywhere to keep track of which mods are updated for the new version, or are they all siloed away in their own threads?

Also, I'm super excited about the realtime 3d view, multi-z-layer, mouse interface stuff, but I imagine that will take a while to be updated. As basically a newbie (played a bit before, always with a tileset, generally got confused and gave up once I hit ~20 dwarves) which mods should I be using/waiting for before trying fortress mode again?

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
Honestly dude the new version was already updated and I probably expect it to be updated a lot more in the near future, don't expect a stable mod for perhaps another month, or a week after the last stable new version is released. Enjoy the bugs for now and help Toady One out by posting detailed bugs on his tracker.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
so are bogeymen just straight up murder-beings. I've not actually got a day through adventurer without a bogeyman murdering me at night.

Wait one time I fell into a river running from a bogeyman and then got washed off a waterfall. That killed me pretty slowly.

dakuroot
Sep 22, 2003
^________^
So I've been playing Adventure Mode in the new release and I was told about a problem with some bandits. I found the Bandit camp and had no problem killing all of them including the warlord that was there, but now I can't seem to figure out what I need to do to get it to not show up on the map. How do I get credit for the quest? My compass keeps pointing me back to that camp but there is nothing left to kill :(

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

GorfZaplen posted:

Is it actually a little generated kobold town or is that just a name for one of their filthy caves? Because if it's the former, then the sheer cuteness might overwhelm 4Chan's ability to post hentai for at least an hour.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

d3c0y2 posted:

so are bogeymen just straight up murder-beings. I've not actually got a day through adventurer without a bogeyman murdering me at night.

Wait one time I fell into a river running from a bogeyman and then got washed off a waterfall. That killed me pretty slowly.

If you bring along a buddy, which in this version there should be plenty in meadhalls and such, they won't attack you.

If you embark as a dwarf civilization with no dwarves left, one of your starting dwarves will be royalty. Luckily it looks like they'll actually do work.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Why are all my dwarves going to collect items from the cave?

Oh god no. What are you doing.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Probably because dwarves are set to "collect webs" automatically. You can disable that in the orders menu, or just deny them access to the cave by using burrows.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I know but I didn't build a loom yet. Having all of my dwarves rush to collect the bodies from a giant cave spider slaughter can only end in disaster fun.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

If you bring along a buddy, which in this version there should be plenty in meadhalls and such, they won't attack you.

If you embark as a dwarf civilization with no dwarves left, one of your starting dwarves will be royalty. Luckily it looks like they'll actually do work.

But whenever I go near civilisation the game crawls to a halt and then invariably crashes at some stupid time.

Wandering alone in the wilderness beating up peregrines and other woodland animals is the only way to avoid a crash!

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Mirthless posted:

I just did a standard worldgen on a medium world and it ended up being one of the continents. It's so bizarrely North America shaped that it's hard to believe it happened by coincidence, but if so, it's a testament to the quality of DF's worldgen.

I do have the save (on my work computer) and I'd be happy to share it tomorrow, provided I remember, but it won't be compatible with the latest version.

Here is a reminder! Please share.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

As in, a small village of kobolds, or a singular kobold who has been taking cues from Shakespeare?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
So how are tilesets different? I checked the default 800x600 in .34 and .40 and they seem to be identical.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Met posted:

So how are tilesets different? I checked the default 800x600 in .34 and .40 and they seem to be identical.

Nothing really changed, no. It's just that the creature raws have had small additions from top to bottom and so every little change must be made by hand again.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Alehkhs posted:

Here is a reminder! Please share.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5lc-o-YHHqneEdZdmtPcWF1YWc/edit?usp=sharing

:911: is in the lower right side of the map. I prefer my worlds a little very young (:reddit:) so I'm sorry if you guys would prefer a more mature world!

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

scamtank posted:

Nothing really changed, no. It's just that the creature raws have had small additions from top to bottom and so every little change must be made by hand again.

And yet again the superiority of ASCII is made clear. :smugbert:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Met posted:

The core game is now using a ton of characters for additional functions. Some are used to indicate movement/blocking/dodging directions, and others for the new giant trees. There's probably more new uses as well.
Tilesets with graphical representations of things have always made assumptions about the meaning of particular characters, but when a character suddenly gets two new, additional meanings, things will start looking really odd.

Hence:

Kenlon posted:

And yet again the superiority of ASCII is made clear. :smugbert:

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Started up Masterwork for the first time, and once I embarked I noticed one of my dwarves is listed as a Schizophrenic.

I'm... not sure if I'm surprised by this.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone been having a problem with constant crashes while traveling in adventure mode? It's pretty much unplayable.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ignimbrite posted:

I'm used to making rock pots for drinks but wooden pots don't seem to work. Barrels do though. :v:

e: uhhh I think my dwarfs just robbed a trade caravan of its cloth to put in the hospital :stare:
Rock pots are what barrels are called when you make them out of rock, I think.

TildeATH posted:

Is it actually a little generated kobold town or is that just a name for one of their filthy caves? Because if it's the former, then the sheer cuteness might overwhelm 4Chan's ability to post hentai for at least an hour.
I'm guessing kobolds were kidnapped into a goblin civilization, then a site they were at was conquered by humans so now they're part of a human civilization, and now there's a hamlet populated by kobolds.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Is the non-agressive people in adventure mode a confirmed bug or what? There's no fun slaughtering villages when I have to press alt-y all the time. :(

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I say again: try screaming death threats first

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Zereth posted:

Rock pots are what barrels are called when you make them out of rock, I think.

I'm guessing kobolds were kidnapped into a goblin civilization, then a site they were at was conquered by humans so now they're part of a human civilization, and now there's a hamlet populated by kobolds.

The humans were all conquered many years earlier and all of the sudden a couple of kobolds settled there.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

What actually constitutes a death threat? Every time I tried intimidating someone by regaling them with tales of how I murdered all their neighbors, they just shrug and go "It was inevitable.". It does make sense that anyone living in a dwarf fortress world would be a nihilist though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer
One dwarf drowned, three dwarves injured and the only skilled doctor dead. Not an enemy in sight.
And I still love the the new trees. :getin: