Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
This show has been out for more than a day and I can't watch it because I remember gently caress all what happened in season 2 because Korra is so forgettable and refreshing myself is too much work.

And I'm really pissed at myself for not wanting to watch it, especially because I got a fuckin' Korra avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Grump posted:

This show has been out for more than a day and I can't watch it because I remember gently caress all what happened in season 2 because Korra is so forgettable and refreshing myself is too much work.

And I'm really pissed at myself for not wanting to watch it, especially because I got a fuckin' Korra avatar.

Just watch it, everything that you need to be reminded of is in the recap at the start of the episode, anyways.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Genocyber posted:

I really don't get why they're doing that. It's not like it'll prevent pirated stuff showing up.
It's typical Network anti-logic; piracy exists, so they refuse to put anything on the internet (despite years and years of conclusive evidence that it reduces piracy by a huge amount and would make them money).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you don't want to watch the show, don't watch it. Going "I don't want to want this show and don't want to want this show but I'm going to MAKE myself watch this show" is dumb.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The korranation tumblr is saying the first three episodes will be on sale to download (in HD) on July 14th.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I'm willing to bet that the people in charge of releasing the episodes to online distributors weren't ready for the accelerated release schedule and are still working by the original one. That's probably why there's nothing online yet.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
There's gonna be a Book Three panel on Friday July 25th at Comic-Con, where, in an alternate universe where the leaks didn't happen, the Book 3 trailer will debut. However, in our universe... poo poo, I don't know. Due to the accelerated airing schedule, the panel will take place AFTER the leaks have been caught up to.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

A live demo of the Platinum game

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What times does this air?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jackard posted:

What times does this air?
Two episodes a week every Friday at 8 pm EST.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Did they ever say why it was 2 at a time?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Babygravy posted:

Did they ever say why it was 2 at a time?

The only part people really liked in Book 2 was the two-parter, so we're gonna love Book 3!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

seravid posted:

The only part people really liked in Book 2 was the two-parter, so we're gonna love Book 3!

Honestly it's paced better that way. It seemed like for a lot of the episodes last season it was "oh something interesting is happening? better cut to credits!" and then it's resolved in the first five minutes of the next episode.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

computer parts posted:

Honestly it's paced better that way. It seemed like for a lot of the episodes last season it was "oh something interesting is happening? better cut to credits!" and then it's resolved in the first five minutes of the next episode.

Apparently, these next two episodes were supposed to be paired with last week's and next week's, respectively, so we're getting the conclusion of one two-parter and the beginning of another one this week, because... I don't loving know. :psyduck:

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I don't know why the leaks were such a big deal. For starters, they were in Spanish. They weren't the first three episodes, and I didn't watch them because Korra as a show is more narrative than episodic. It just didn't interest me.

Episodes 1 and 2 of Book 1 leaked a couple weeks ahead of the premiere, as I recall, and Nick didn't change their schedule.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So those new benders are awesome.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So those new benders are awesome.

I like their chemistry. My favorite thing about the season so far is that the villains actually seem like they're friends. It's weird, but pleasant.

Something Positive
Jan 10, 2010

MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHERMOTHERMOTHER MOOOOTTTHHHEEERRRR
Well, I'm not sure I can think of a better way of restarting a nomadic culture based on peace than forcing them to join the army at the first sign of their newfound abilities.

Fake edit: :saddowns: NOBODY LIKES CODE ANYMORE.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
That was a complete dick move, Lin...

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Metal City looks cool as fuuuuuuq, but it's kind of... creepy?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey half-siblings in a Nickelodeon cartoon.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Spergatory posted:

Metal City looks cool as fuuuuuuq, but it's kind of... creepy?

It reminds me, somehow, of Krypton. Might be intentional (man of steel, city of metal)

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
A city of no secrets? What about wearing wooden sandals?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Varrick's back, fuckers!

Edit: Also holy poo poo the writing needs work.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Varrick's back, fuckers!

Edit: Also holy poo poo the writing needs work.

I feel like Varrick shouldn't be as entertaining as he is.

As far as the writing, I've only been really annoyed with Lin so far. Or, rather, the sister's not just loving saying what the problem is. Feels like padding for time.

McCheese
May 1, 2011
Did harmonic convergence just effect Republic City or what? The rest of the world seems pretty free of giant spirit whales and stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCheese posted:

Did harmonic convergence just effect Republic City or what? The rest of the world seems pretty free of giant spirit whales and stuff.

The spirits are mostly gathered in Republic City because of the vines.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
That Zaheer Kya fight was pretty cool. We haven't really seen Kya do much but I guess it makes sense that she would be a pretty badass Waterbender.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

McCheese posted:

There's the Wilds Vaatu made in his fight with Korra, which is where the spirits had centralized.
Also what the hell didn't Lin have like, an arc? When she got over Tenzin? Wasn't that a thing?

I liked Bolin getting called out. That was nice.

Also I guess the Earth Queen isn't a threat anymore even though she promised to declare War on Korra? I guess it makes sorta sense, because Korra and Lin Bei Fong would both just go "Hey the Earth Queen kidnapped a bunch of people to draft them into an army including a literal child using the same organization that allowed the Fire Nation to take over Ba Sing Se."

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 12, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

dude789 posted:

That Zaheer Kya fight was pretty cool. We haven't really seen Kya do much but I guess it makes sense that she would be a pretty badass Waterbender.

I didn't like his new hair cut at first, but thinking on it I kind of like how it's similar to an Air Nomad. I'm really liking the villains, and especially Zaheer, so far.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

There's the Wilds Vaatu made in his fight with Korra, which is where the spirits had centralized.

Also what the hell didn't Lin have like, an arc? When she got over Tenzin? Wasn't that a thing?

I liked Bolin getting called out. That was nice.

Bolin getting called out was great. I hope it sticks. Bolin is great, and an uncomplicated romance with him and Opal could be adorable.

Also I'm pretty sure this is just finishing off Lin's arc where she goes from getting over Tenzin, to getting over herself and opening up to people again.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So wait did I hear right when Suyin said "Neither of us knew our fathers"?

Like either Toph is cursed, or S&P has really loosened up.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I didn't like his new hair cut at first, but thinking on it I kind of like how it's similar to an Air Nomad. I'm really liking the villains, and especially Zaheer, so far.

Bolin getting called out was great. I hope it sticks. Bolin is great, and an uncomplicated romance with him and Opal could be adorable.

Also I'm pretty sure this is just finishing off Lin's arc where she goes from getting over Tenzin, to getting over herself and opening up to people again.

If Bolin being a dick is just a long arc on not having to be an rear end to get someone to like you (and that being a jerk will actively harm you)all is forgiven.

I'm really liking that Aang and Toph kinda messed up while parenting. A lot of shows make old characters like this in to people whose decisions and actions were always right and that gets annoying.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So wait did I hear right when Suyin said "Neither of us knew our fathers"?

Like either Toph is cursed, or S&P has really loosened up.

I get the feeling it'll be left at that to let people decide for themselves. If they're pushed they can say it was the former, even if they intend the latter.

SirKibbles posted:

If Bolin being a dick is just a long arc on not having to be an rear end to get someone to like you (and that being a jerk will actively harm you)all is forgiven.

I'm really liking that Aang and Toph kinda messed up while parenting. A lot of shows make old characters like this in to people whose decisions and actions were always right and that gets annoying.

Whether it was intentional or not, that seems to be where they're going. I'm curious if Opal will actually stick around, or if she'll just teach him to be himself instead of trying too hard.

And yeah, I really like that even Aang hosed up pretty seriously in his parenting. I have to wonder if his kids being at all reasonably balanced individuals doesn't fall on Kitara's influence. Though, thinking about it, the only one that really seems all that balanced is also the only one who would have spent most of her time with Kitara. Tenzin was with Aang, Kaya was probably with Kitara, and Bumi was raised by Uncle Sokka.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if there was a moment in the writers room when they realized they were going to have to have Zaheer read the locket out loud to himself like a goddamn child learning to read.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I wonder if there was a moment in the writers room when they realized they were going to have to have Zaheer read the locket out loud to himself like a goddamn child learning to read.

You've never recited a mantra or quoted scripture?

Ps. I've been waiting months for you guys to gif shotgun staff.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 12, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sithsaber posted:

You've never recited a mantra or quoted scripture?
Recitation is way different from reading.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Recitation is way different from reading.

Zaheer was being reverent in a world without Wikipedia: lay off.

Back in the day people really did do that.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Yeah, Zaheer reading the locket aloud wasn't a problem for me at all. Not only did it make sense, given it seems to be an idea he follows closely, but Zaheer's already established himself as a warrior-philosopher, randomly waxing on about things isn't all that odd.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
It was read out loud for the audience who can't read Chinese. It's a classic TV trick. In foreign dubs of cartoons they will sometimes literally have a character read out loud signs and posters that the audience in the original language could read on their own when the animation cannot be altered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Jorghnassen posted:

It was read out loud for the audience who can't read Chinese. It's a classic TV trick. In foreign dubs of cartoons they will sometimes literally have a character read out loud signs and posters that the audience in the original language could read on their own when the animation cannot be altered.

That too. Isn't there a trope that describes technical logic versus in universe logic?

• Locked thread