Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

simplefish posted:

I went looking for the longest continuous flight record.

What I had expected was that, apart from modern purpose-built aircraft, there would be some cold war bomber (I thought a B-52 to be honest) that did some ridiculous always-aloft Alaskan patrol in the '50s or '60s.

I was wrong.

To be clear, I hit up Wikipedia to see the endurance record for manned, refuelled aircraft. It was not what I had expected.

What do you think it was?

The answer?

Cessna 172

Add to this the fact that I misread the wikipedia table - I thought it was 64 hours. It was, in fact, 64 days. Bear in mind that the airship record is slightly over 11 days.

Naturally I disbelieved this and thought that there was some gaming of regulations going on. Refuelling was via a truck - aha! thought I, they landed and then discounted it, like how those hand-on-car-to-win-the-car people get five minutes our for ablutions. I knew it couldn't be correct!

Oh no.

They drove the truck along a road and, after the electric fuel pump broke, hand-cranked the fuel into the belly tank as it drove along - once at night. All kinds of instrumentation and systems (including the autopilot, which did nothing except ensure level flight) were broken by the end of the stint. The biggest problem was carbon buildup in the engine, it seems.

Then you have the pilot's weight to factor in :pilot:, and the whole thing just shouldn't have happened.

Full story here: http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2008/March/1/Endurance-Test-Circa-1958

And now you know the story behind the cessna thats in McCarran's baggage claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Not what you want to have happen while flying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0blbra-bUIY

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

And from an earlier endurance flight in 1930,

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

bitchtard posted:

Is there an aviation equivalent to Autozone vents? Get some of those.

I want to see the STC for Autozone vents.

And I think the equivalent is the Vans RV guys who put air force roundels on everything.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Geoj posted:

If you really want to drive the :tinfoil: types insane paint it flat black.

UN Blue.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Psion posted:

UN Blue.

UN planes are white with big black "UN" letters. He should do that. Including at least one "UN" on the underside of the wing so it's easily seen from the ground.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

UN planes are white with big black "UN" letters. He should do that. Including at least one "UN" on the underside of the wing so it's easily seen from the ground.

You're conflating reality with the delusions of conspiracy nuts, you shouldn't do that.

It doesn't matter that UN planes are white, if a conspiracy nut sees a 'UN Blue' coloured plane, then that will be a UN plane, spying on them, waiting to swoop down and enact Agenda 21 on them the moment they're not paying enough attention.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
White plane with US on it or some sort of NSA-looking roundel type thing would also do the trick.

Bonus points for "chemtrails".

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SybilVimes posted:

You're conflating reality with the delusions of conspiracy nuts, you shouldn't do that.

It doesn't matter that UN planes are white, if a conspiracy nut sees a 'UN Blue' coloured plane, then that will be a UN plane, spying on them, waiting to swoop down and enact Agenda 21 on them the moment they're not paying enough attention.

This, make it overt and they'll know they're being hosed with. Make it vague and they immediately start calling up Alex Jones and go into their own version of DEFCON 1 in preparation for the long-anticipated UN invasion across the Canadian border.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 11, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Be sure to add nondescript but official-looking symbols.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
This one is a particular favourite for conspiracy nuts:

I don't know if painting it on your aircraft would violate any kind of 'misrepresentation' laws though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The irony of conspiracy nuts is that they live in a fictional world where government agencies are massively competent.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

holocaust bloopers posted:

The irony of conspiracy nuts is that they live in a fictional world where government agencies are massively competent.

The government just wants you to believe they are incompetent so you underestimate them
:tinfoil:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bush wasn't referring to the FEMA response to Katrina when he said Brownie was doing a heck of a job. :tinfoil:

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

StandardVC10 posted:

From a recent capability demonstration...

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Are there actually any rules on the paint scheme you can use on planes, or can you literally paint them whatever you want (except for govt agencies and such)? Because I would totally give mine a ridiculous paintjob.

Black with red flames. Rainbows and pink unicorns. Bright neon green. Racing stripes. The possibilities are endless. :allears:

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Look at this advanced wars bullshit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PZL-230_Skorpion

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Geoj posted:

If you really want to drive the :tinfoil: types insane paint it flat black.

Just weld a bunch of random antennas and stuff to it, they'll think it's a Guardrail:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Just weld a bunch of random antennas and stuff to it, they'll think it's a Guardrail:

that's the dopest loving king air I have ever seen. I wanna fly that slow hunky bastard.

and man you should hear people talk conspiracies when they see the custom/border patrol drone and P-3 Orions take off out of corpus christi. They always make a habit of flying down the beach line. Ferret_King could probably give you a better picture of whatever ops they do from an ATC perspective but the conspiracies are wild.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Luneshot posted:

Are there actually any rules on the paint scheme you can use on planes, or can you literally paint them whatever you want (except for govt agencies and such)? Because I would totally give mine a ridiculous paintjob.

Black with red flames. Rainbows and pink unicorns. Bright neon green. Racing stripes. The possibilities are endless. :allears:

The only rule pertains to the size of registration markings, other than that you can knock yourself the gently caress out.

E: Oh, there's also the airworthiness standard requiring all decals and placards as set out by the manufacturer too.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 11, 2014

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Luneshot posted:

only restrictions are for font and typeset size of the letter/number identifier, in Canada at least. If you dig you'll find the details.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-433/page-23.html#h-76

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Hah I remember that thing. I swear it looks like one of those little mini jet-go-karts you'd see puttering around in a parade in a little town somewhere.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Luneshot posted:

The UN symbol being reached for by a sinister hand

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Luneshot posted:

Didn't the FAA force Hef to repaint his DC-9 so that it was more visible?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

I'm pretty sure this is actually an SR-71 just after birth.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Every time I see this image, I see another thing that makes me smile.

This time, it's the hilarious amount of optical distortion through the canopy.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Hah, I hadn't even noticed. I'm pretty sure the frosted, and subsequently soap-scummed glass in my shower is clearer than that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
gently caress you guys, I was gonna ask if that's Iran's new Mach 3 spy plane. :mad:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

IPCRESS posted:

Every time I see this image, I see another thing that makes me smile.

This time, it's the hilarious amount of optical distortion through the canopy.

I'm digging the massive hydraulic ram for the canopy. I sure hope it's all titanium! :ohdear:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Godholio posted:

gently caress you guys, I was gonna ask if that's Iran's new Mach 3 spy plane. :mad:

I imagine parts of it could go Mach 3 if it was hit with a 2,000 lb laser-guided bomb.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So did anyone have a chance to read the request Amazon.com sent to the FAA requesting exemption from the experimental airworthiness regulations?

This stood out to me:

pre:
We also intend to use one or more of the six FAA‐selected test sites and seek a special 
airworthiness certificate (experimental category) for our sUAS.  However, it would be impractical 
for Amazon to pursue either one of these avenues as our sole or even primary method of R&D 
testing at this time, and doing so would unnecessarily tax scarce FAA resources.  For example, it 
would be an unreasonable burden on both the FAA and Amazon if we were required to apply for 
a special airworthiness certificate for every sUAS design or testing configuration while we are in 
R&D and conducting rapid prototyping.   
I've only had experience on larger commercial aircraft, but there's nothing the FAA loves to investigate more than tons of part changes and manufacturers who are new. Is this letter as unreasonable as it sounds or am I missing something?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Bob A Feet posted:

that's the dopest loving king air I have ever seen. I wanna fly that slow hunky bastard.

and man you should hear people talk conspiracies when they see the custom/border patrol drone and P-3 Orions take off out of corpus christi. They always make a habit of flying down the beach line. Ferret_King could probably give you a better picture of whatever ops they do from an ATC perspective but the conspiracies are wild.

My ears are burning.

As Bob A Feet (and most of eastern Corpus Christi/Padre Island) knows, when aircraft depart Navy Corpus/Truax Field visual flight rules, they stay pretty drat low on predetermined paths to various working areas. They call these paths "course rules" and they'll be as low as 500ft at times. Though most of these paths remain over bodies of water, low flying aircraft are definitely the norm in this area and I'm sure certain residential areas get plenty of noise. It's one thing when it's a little T34/Texan II/King Air, but then occasionally you'll get the Customs P3s departing. Sometimes we even get C5 and B52s coming in to do practice approaches or demonstration fly bys for events on base. Those REALLY get the calls coming in to work. I've heard:

"Someone's trying to crash into downtown" (Downtown Corpus is pretty much right under the base-to-final turn for aircraft flying instrument approaches to Navy Corpus airport's main runway)

"There are 10 giant aircraft flying over constantly" (No... It's the same one, he just stuck around for over an hour doing multiple approaches)

"An aircraft is repeatedly violating the airspace over my house and I want them turned in to the authorities"

These calls are either from the residents themselves who looked up our phone number, or relayed from the local PD/Sheriff's dept.

Also, to pilots, all of these aforementioned operations occur within an Alert Area established for this purpose (A-632B). Though flying through an Alert Area is permitted, and you don't even need to be talking to ATC to do so, I can not emphasize how stupid an idea that is. These guys are zooming around at all altitudes, surface to 10,000ft, and many of the areas are designated for aerobatic practice, so these turbine-powered aircraft are rapidly changing course and altitude. Even when we are talking to a non-participating aircraft trying to fly through there, it can be difficult to keep them clear of conflicts, and it's hard to issue avoidance instructions when you DONT KNOW what the other airplane is going to do next. We might issue a turn right as the practicing aircraft flips a bitch and starts going the other way, and remember our radar updates quickly but there is still some delay. Just because you can go through there, doesn't mean you should.

Here's what I see every day from my front porch:

Navy T-34 Mentor (Slowly being phased out here by the Texan II)

Navy T-44/BE-90 Pegasus

Navy TC12/BE-200 Huron

Navy T6/Texan II

Customs and Border Protection P3s (some do not have the top mounted radome)

Customers and Border Protection MQ-9 Guardian

T-45 Goshawk

Though not based at Navy Corpus/Truax(KNGP), we often get the T-45 Goshawks over from Navy Kingsville (KNQI) for practice approaches at Corpus International, and very rarely at Navy Corpus. They're in a different training wing from the NGP based aircraft. NGP Navy Trainer aircraft are in Training Wing 4, NQI Navy Trainer aircraft are in Training Wing 2.

Less Frequent Visitors Though these will always be instrument flights and not flying the previously mentioned course rules (aka really REALLY low), when they fly a radar pattern near Navy Corpus, they're still quite low (1,600ft above the surface) and they look MASSIVE.

C5 Galaxy

C17 Globemaster III

B52 Stratofortress

Another interesting thing about these visiting Air Force aircraft, the Navy will sometimes fight us on accepting inbound calls for these aircraft when they want to do practice approaches. Requests are denied under the guise of preventing their local training aircraft from being delayed, but us civilian controllers are the ones working the sequence to their airport anyway so I'm not sure why they care. I assume it's a branch vs. branch rivalry thing.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
When I worked in flight safety I would get to hear about all of those ludicrous complaints. My favorite one was some elderly lady out in the sticks of Fairbanks, AK who repeatedly complained that an AWACS pilot (she would read the names on the side of the jet and since we only flew two jets she kept catching the same one) was attempting to kill her dogs by flying low over her place.

Beyond that the most regular ones were fighter guys buzzing people or flying very low. I believe those for sure considering how empty Alaska is and, you know, fighter pilots are douche bags.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Though I couldn't disprove that they were just screwing around, a lot of military training routes have incredibly low altitudes. Though they're plotted through relatively unpopulated areas, I'm sure they go over at least a few ranch houses here and there. Like this one near Corpus active from the surface to 3,000ft (Instrument Route, or IR166):

http://tinyurl.com/lxc8ero

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 12, 2014

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

B52's fly into NAS Corpus? I lived in Corpus for over 10 years and never saw one.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

When I worked in flight safety I would get to hear about all of those ludicrous complaints. My favorite one was some elderly lady out in the sticks of Fairbanks, AK who repeatedly complained that an AWACS pilot (she would read the names on the side of the jet and since we only flew two jets she kept catching the same one) was attempting to kill her dogs by flying low over her place.

Beyond that the most regular ones were fighter guys buzzing people or flying very low. I believe those for sure considering how empty Alaska is and, you know, fighter pilots are douche bags.

The Ferret King posted:

Though I couldn't disprove that they were just screwing around, a lot of military training routes have incredibly low altitudes. Though they're plotted through relatively unpopulated areas, I'm sure they go over at least a few ranch houses here and there. Like this one near Corpus active from the surface to 3,000ft (Instrument Route, or IR166):

http://tinyurl.com/lxc8ero

Yeah there are people who live in the sticks under some of the MOAs that comprise part of the JPARC. I know when I went flying with the Aussies our Herk flew pretty drat low over a couple of houses cabins shacks, and since it's Alaska, I'm sure everyone who lives out there was always quick to hop on the phone and complain about that drat fedrul govmint flyin' aero-planes over mah house, also danged obummer lettin' all them foriegn UN armies here to enact agenda 21.

I really like the state but the people are the worst.

Of course then there was the time that the JASDF Herk guys managed to drop a CDS bundle off DZ...and almost put it onto a public highway. That was a bit of an oopsie.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

That reminds me of a story an ex-pilot from the 60's told me. They'd fly F-4s by GA craft upside down between cloud layers. Without any ground reference the Cessnas would almost always turn upside down too because they'd think the F-4s were right side up. Another F-4 would usually creep up a few seconds later actually flying right side up and the pilot and weapons officer would wave really enthusiastically at the civilian flyer as they passed.

Of course, you'd probably get 50 lashes for that today.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Craptacular posted:

B52's fly into NAS Corpus? I lived in Corpus for over 10 years and never saw one.

A couple times per year for fly bys during ceremonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The Discovery Wings at War episode on the Mig-29 is utterly comprehensive. It's a shame these kinds of series aren't produced any more.