Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Moto G LTE is probably the closest you'll find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
Country - USA
Provider - Straight Talk
Features I want - browse the web, take pictures, make calls, and most importantly have a decent GPS.

If price is not an issue, what is the better buy, a Nokia 520 or 630? I have two friends leaving cricket who just got them and they're offering me them for the same price. There's lots of talk of the 630 online missing a bunch of sensors. I would just buy the phone and use it for a few months on Straight Talk while I save.

Also, does anyone reccomend the Moto X?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Here's a comparison thing posted in the WP thread some time back:

Mikser posted:

In this price range, the important thing to know is what compromises have been made to push the price down.

The 520 lacks a front-facing camera (for video calls or selfies). It has no LED flash (not terribly important for photos, but can be handy as a flashlight). Finally, the screen is rather reflective, which can make it hard to read in sunlight. The screen picks up fingerprints easily. It's generally considered good value for the money.

The 620 does have a front-facing camera (of low resolution) and an LED flash. Despite the small size of the screen, it's generally the highest-quality of them - good contrast, good colours, good visibility in sunlight. It has support for the "Glance screen", which can be handy to see unanswered calls/texts at a glance. It has the worst battery life of the three.

The 630 is rather similar to the 520 in that it also lacks the front-facing camera and LED flash. There's no separate camera button. The processor is quad-core and enables a power-efficient always-on step counter for fitness programs, which may be important for your use scenario. The screen is decent, has better visibility in sunlight than the 520. Strangely, there's no ambient light sensor, so you will need to manually adjust brightness. It's Gorilla Glass 3, so perhaps more scratch-resistant. Finally, the 630 has the best battery life of the bunch, and it will hopefully improve a bit as the initial bugs from WP 8.1 are ironed out.
They're budget phones, so it just depends on what compromises you want to make. :)

And the Moto X is a good phone, highly recommended around here, but its successor is coming out relatively soon, so hold out for that.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Here's a comparison thing posted in the WP thread some time back:

They're budget phones, so it just depends on what compromises you want to make. :)

And the Moto X is a good phone, highly recommended around here, but its successor is coming out relatively soon, so hold out for that.

Thank you, the 630 looks like a winner for me. I can hold out for the newest Moto X+1, the whole reason for the Nokia is just to last me until I can get a nicer phone.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
Country/Provider: United States / Verizon

Current contract status: I signed a two year contract on July 13, 2012. Verizon currently says I'm "month to month". I have no idea what that means. I am eligible for an upgrade.
I pay 62.00 + $9.00 charges/taxes for 2GB, 450 Min, and no texts ($.20 per text).

Budget (phone/plan): Close to what I pay now.

Features I know I want: My GS3 is on its last legs. The LG G3 looks tempting, but I want to wait until more reviews come out before I make decision. I don't text enough to justify adding $10 unlimited texts, but if there was a VZW comparable plan data and minutes wise that included texts I'd take it.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Mouse Cadet posted:

Country/Provider: United States / Verizon

Current contract status: I signed a two year contract on July 13, 2012. Verizon currently says I'm "month to month". I have no idea what that means. I am eligible for an upgrade.
I pay 62.00 + $9.00 charges/taxes for 2GB, 450 Min, and no texts ($.20 per text).

Budget (phone/plan): Close to what I pay now.

Features I know I want: My GS3 is on its last legs. The LG G3 looks tempting, but I want to wait until more reviews come out before I make decision. I don't text enough to justify adding $10 unlimited texts, but if there was a VZW comparable plan data and minutes wise that included texts I'd take it.

Keep your current plan, upgrade to the S5

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
Country/Provider: USA/TMOBILE

Current contract status: None/PAYG

Budget (phone/plan): Currently paying 30 dollars a month for 90 min talk unlimited data/text which I assume will go away when I upgrade since most places don't offer unlimited data. I have a 3g iphone4 (which i bought used/unlocked) currently and its being a piece of poo poo so looking to upgrade. I don't know what a reasonable price is to pay for a phone/plan, but I know i'm going to want >90 minutes of talk (heh) something like 2-4 gigs of data since I stream from my phone all the time, and text.

Features I know I want: Decent camera, tethering, 4g/lte capable, browsing, group texting that isn't awful (my roommate has an andriod something or other and it doesn't group text well with iphones - is this a thing for non-iphones to iphones due to apple and their imessage poo poo or something else?)

What I like: I like the iphone just fine, mine is just being lovely. I've never had an android phone but I'm not opposed to it. Good appstore is very appealing to me so I can do whatever. The Note 3 looks pretty cool, but I have no experience with any of that so I'm not sure.

This is kinda haphazard I know, but i've never really bought a new phone before as I've always bought used so I'm not sure how to actually shop for myself. Let me know if I can clear anything up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jowj posted:

Country/Provider: USA/TMOBILE

Current contract status: None/PAYG

Budget (phone/plan): Currently paying 30 dollars a month for 90 min talk unlimited data/text which I assume will go away when I upgrade since most places don't offer unlimited data. I have a 3g iphone4 (which i bought used/unlocked) currently and its being a piece of poo poo so looking to upgrade. I don't know what a reasonable price is to pay for a phone/plan, but I know i'm going to want >90 minutes of talk (heh) something like 2-4 gigs of data since I stream from my phone all the time, and text.

Features I know I want: Decent camera, tethering, 4g/lte capable, browsing, group texting that isn't awful (my roommate has an andriod something or other and it doesn't group text well with iphones - is this a thing for non-iphones to iphones due to apple and their imessage poo poo or something else?)

What I like: I like the iphone just fine, mine is just being lovely. I've never had an android phone but I'm not opposed to it. Good appstore is very appealing to me so I can do whatever. The Note 3 looks pretty cool, but I have no experience with any of that so I'm not sure.

This is kinda haphazard I know, but i've never really bought a new phone before as I've always bought used so I'm not sure how to actually shop for myself. Let me know if I can clear anything up.
Since T-Mobile doesn't subsidize phones, why not just go and buy a new iPhone 5S and drop in the SIM?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

Current contract status: It is up at the end of this month and after at least five years with them, they are giving me no incentive to stay. Since they switched to no contracts, there is no more phone upgrade bonus. I also went out of state last month and had no service for an entire week, so I am searching for different providers.

Budget (phone/plan): I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S (the first generation). It was pretty ok early on, but it has been painfully slow the past year. I run pretty basic for a plan, 500 minutes, unlimited text, 5G of data for about $70 a month after the little service fees.
Features I know I want: Data and processing power is the main thing for me. I use my phone mostly for music, read and send a good portion of my emails on it, and surf the internet browser. A good camera is a bonus, but not a high priority. Basically what I am looking for is low minutes, low to med text usage, strong data, high processing power; I prefer to not go over $80 a month with phone payment plan and services all together. Was thinking of sticking to Samsung, but open to the other ones like Nokia or Windows phones as I have no information about them

Slandible fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 16, 2014

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Country/Provider: USA / VZW

Current contract status: month to month, I pay like $125 a month and my contract just expired, I want something cheaper now

Budget (phone/plan): Want to buy a Nexus 5 / Want to keep monthly costs down, I'd be happy with like $50-70 a month.

Features I know I want: I use around 3gb of data a month streaming music from Google music while I drive. I know T-Mobile doesn't have their little streaming deal with Google Music yet, will that actually happen? I don't use too many minutes, I wouldn't need more than say.. 150 or 200. I would need unlimited texts for sure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Khorne Flakes posted:

I prefer to not go over $80 a month with phone payment plan and services all together.
You're not going to get this unless you're willing to pay outright for an unlocked phone* and then switch to a prepaid plan running on AT&T (since you're not happy with T-Mobile) at which point you're working out to $70-80 per month when you spread out the cost of the phone. (AT&T also has no-contract post-paid plans for $65/month with 2 GB data.) Any subsidized plan will cost you quite a bit more than $80/month.

*Specifically, a Moto G ($220 for LTE), Moto X ($300), or Nexus 5 ($350) will all be vastly more powerful than your Galaxy S

Jerome Louis posted:

Country/Provider: USA / VZW

Current contract status: month to month, I pay like $125 a month and my contract just expired, I want something cheaper now

Budget (phone/plan): Want to buy a Nexus 5 / Want to keep monthly costs down, I'd be happy with like $50-70 a month.

Features I know I want: I use around 3gb of data a month streaming music from Google music while I drive. I know T-Mobile doesn't have their little streaming deal with Google Music yet, will that actually happen? I don't use too many minutes, I wouldn't need more than say.. 150 or 200. I would need unlimited texts for sure.
No one knows if/when T-Mobile will add more services to their free audio streaming, but their $70/month plan has unlimited data, so maybe go with that? The 100 minute prepaid plan offers 5 GB, and you can add more minutes as needed.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

•Country/Provider: US/Verizon

•Current contract status: out of contract

•Budget (phone/plan): don't care much, features are more important. prolly gunna reup with Verizon since I have no plans to leave them and get a subsidized phone.

•Features I know I want:

Must have:
Great signal strength
Great call clarity
Water proof case available, to 10ft

Other:
Good nav
fast data connection
???

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Neo Mara posted:

•Country/Provider: US/Verizon

•Current contract status: out of contract

•Budget (phone/plan): don't care much, features are more important. prolly gunna reup with Verizon since I have no plans to leave them and get a subsidized phone.

•Features I know I want:

Must have:
Great signal strength
Great call clarity
Water proof case available, to 10ft

Other:
Good nav
fast data connection
???

The iPhone is the only phone with choices for waterproof cases, so get a 5S. Here's The Wirecutter's piece on waterproof iPhone cases for info on that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Godzilla07 posted:

The iPhone is the only phone with choices for waterproof cases, so get a 5S. Here's The Wirecutter's piece on waterproof iPhone cases for info on that.

FYI Life proof makes cases for the Galaxy S5, so you can have a water proof case for your water resistant phone.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

Thoughts on S5 vs 5S for call clarity and signal stregth? pretty much the same? if so I'm leaning to the Samsung for swipe texting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Neo Mara posted:

Thoughts on S5 vs 5S for call clarity and signal stregth? pretty much the same? if so I'm leaning to the Samsung for swipe texting.

5S will have swipe texting in the near future. (Or now if you want to pony up an additional $100 for a dev account, but don't do that.)

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI Life proof makes cases for the Galaxy S5, so you can have a water proof case for your water resistant phone.

That they do, but apparently you can't make a phone call with the Galaxy S5 Lifeproof case.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

hmm that's kind of lovely, although I'm probably going be using a bluetooth headset mostly. Last question then, if I go for the iphone how soon is soon for the swipe texting? if I get one now i'll be able to get it with an update or something right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Third party keyboards will be available when iOS8 drops in the fall, so a few months. They showed Swype at the keynote and Swiftkey is working on theirs, as well. I would expect them to be available the same day as iOS8.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

Sounds like an iphone for me then, thanks for all the help guys.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Current Contract: None

Budget: around $30 monthly, but anything up front.

Features: I want to browse reddit while I'm on the bus and use apps n' poo poo.

Basically I want to know what the best service providers are and which ones I should stay away from.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Current Contract: part of family plan (Verizon)

Budget: $300 upfront or layaway

Features: as long as it can run most/all apps and is new, I'm fine.

My Galaxy S2 is crapping out. I got it about a year and a month ago on the cheap as a refurbished model and now not only will it not stay in sleep mode, but it won't loving charge despite the fact that the cord and plug are still good. Now that I have a new job I can afford a new phone but because of mounting student debt, I need to be aware of what I can and can't afford. So yeah, I don't mind getting an old model so long as it's new. And I'm leaning more towards android phones. Thanks in advance.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 19, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

Current Contract: part of family plan

Budget: $300 upfront or layaway

Features: as long as it can run most/all apps and is new, I'm fine.

My Galaxy S2 is crapping out. I got it about a year and a month ago on the cheap as a refurbished model and now not only will it not stay in sleep mode, but it won't loving charge despite the fact that the cord and plug are still good. Now that I have a new job I can afford a new phone but because of mounting student debt, I need to be aware of what I can and can't afford. So yeah, I don't mind getting an old model so long as it's new. And I'm leaning more towards android phones. Thanks in advance.
You didn't mention what carrier you're on but if it's AT&T or T-Mobile, you'd be best going with a Nexus 5, Moto X, or Moto G LTE depending on your budget and in order of preference. Edit: It seems through the 23rd Motorola is giving $100 off the Moto X 16GB & $125 off the 32GB or 64GB variants.

If you're burning a subsidy or are on Verizon or Sprint things are different.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 19, 2014

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

LastInLine posted:

You didn't mention what carrier you're on but if it's AT&T or T-Mobile, you'd be best going with a Nexus 5, Moto X, or Moto G LTE depending on your budget and in order of preference. Edit: It seems through the 23rd Motorola is giving $100 off the Moto X 16GB & $125 off the 32GB or 64GB variants.

If you're burning a subsidy or are on Verizon or Sprint things are different.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm on Verizon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Moto X is probably your best bet unless you have an upgrade available which doesn't sound like it's the case.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Current Contract: Goon Plan (T-Mobile $30 Plan)

Budget: none

Features: Android?

I don't use Google products when I can (I prefer other services, not anything political) and I wanted to know if you were required to use it or sign it for it if you wanted to buy a non-forked Android phone. I was looking at the LG G3 if that helps.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The last phone I bought was in 2006. It was a cheap £10 pay as you go model. That should tell you the extent of my knowledge about phones. However, I'm starting university in September and I think it's time I got something a little better. (I don't even have a phone right now). So, without further ado:

Current contract status: what is contract

Budget: £30 a month?

Features I know I want: Apps for messaging (Kik, whatsapp, etc), internet browsing

Basically, I've been looking at an iPhone 5c because I've had iPods and iPads for the last several years so I'm used to iOS, and I just like the way Apple products are made. The second reason is because I have no idea what is considered a good phone so I've just defaulted to the iPhone because I'm vaguely aware that it's considered good.

I don't expect to be using it for making phone calls that much, mostly messaging, using apps and occasionally browsing the internet. I doubt I'll be using it to download music and videos all that much, if at all. EE offer a 8gb iPhone 5c with 4gb data, unlimited minutes and texts for £27 a month £50 upfront which seems pretty good I think?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Island Nation posted:

Current Contract: Goon Plan (T-Mobile $30 Plan)

Budget: none

Features: Android?

I don't use Google products when I can (I prefer other services, not anything political) and I wanted to know if you were required to use it or sign it for it if you wanted to buy a non-forked Android phone. I was looking at the LG G3 if that helps.

You can do it, but it's hard and not that nice since Google services are the backbone of Android. If you want to avoid Google, you should buy an iPhone.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Godzilla07 posted:

You can do it, but it's hard and not that nice since Google services are the backbone of Android. If you want to avoid Google, you should buy an iPhone.

That's what I previously had but I was looking for something new to replace my N9 that wasn't Apple. I think my new phone is decided on then so thank you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's also various Windows phones which might be worth looking into.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Godzilla07 posted:

I disagree. Android is far more cloud-service agnostic than iPhone or Windows Phone. You don't need a Google account to use an Android device, even to install apps and stuff. You do need an Apple or Microsoft account to install apps on their platforms.

If you already have, or are OK with having an Apple or Microsoft account, and specifically don't want a Google account, then those are obviously better platforms. But if you're willing to create a Google account just for the Play Store, you can use third-party providers for other services just fine. In fact, since third-party apps can install sync adapters the same as Google's own, third-party services have better integration on Android as a result.

If you don't want any of an Apple, Google, or Microsoft account, you can still sideload apps and third-party app stores on Android. Amazon's store is probably the most complete, but you'd need an Amazon account. There's others including an exclusively FOSS one.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
Any experience with Republic Wireless? They only have two phones, moto x and g. I have sprint but have never had a problem with their network, just overpay for it. The $40 a month plan looks good if the moto x is a competent phone for $300.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Any experience with Republic Wireless? They only have two phones, moto x and g. I have sprint but have never had a problem with their network, just overpay for it. The $40 a month plan looks good if the moto x is a competent phone for $300.

If you are ok with sprint it would probably work for you, just keep in mind you would not get verizon rocking on republic wireless. So maybe keep an eye on how often your phone roams in your area and keep that as a variable.

Otherwise, either Moto is fine, just depends on how much you want to spend.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I disagree. Android is far more cloud-service agnostic than iPhone or Windows Phone. You don't need a Google account to use an Android device, even to install apps and stuff. You do need an Apple or Microsoft account to install apps on their platforms.

If you already have, or are OK with having an Apple or Microsoft account, and specifically don't want a Google account, then those are obviously better platforms. But if you're willing to create a Google account just for the Play Store, you can use third-party providers for other services just fine. In fact, since third-party apps can install sync adapters the same as Google's own, third-party services have better integration on Android as a result.

If you don't want any of an Apple, Google, or Microsoft account, you can still sideload apps and third-party app stores on Android. Amazon's store is probably the most complete, but you'd need an Amazon account. There's others including an exclusively FOSS one.

I was thinking along the lines of someone refusing to make a Google account, and the workarounds for that. But even with the dummy Google account for the Play Store it still seems foolish since you'd be losing out on one of the main reasons to use Android.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Godzilla07 posted:

I was thinking along the lines of someone refusing to make a Google account, and the workarounds for that. But even with the dummy Google account for the Play Store it still seems foolish since you'd be losing out on one of the main reasons to use Android.

The issue for me was Google selling personal data which is why I closed my account with them. Of course with me being a utter hypocrite, I still have Apple and Microsoft accounts (though AOL and Nokia/Xbox respectfully). There's also the NSA but even if I were to get the Blackphone or Jolla (the phone I wanted but apparently can't be brought here), I've probably inadvertently given out my personal info out tenfold to them along with everyone else compared to intentionally giving it out on SA. Since my alma mater now uses Google for email, that would be the dummy account although I should probably cut down on making them in the first place.

Obviously this sounds like the ranting of a nutjob with a screwed on tinfoil hat (HOPE will do this to anyone) but perhaps rooting a Android phone could work if the crap can be removed from it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Island Nation posted:

Since my alma mater now uses Google for email, that would be the dummy account
Do not use an email you don't control for your Android device login.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Do not use an email you don't control for your Android device login.
But then you can't log in with your Gmail account?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

But then you can't log in with your Gmail account?
Sure you can, you can add it as an extra Google account. You certainly don't want to be buying apps on an account that might go away in the future, though. Hell, if nothing else just set up your GApps mail to forward to your "real" GMail.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Sure you can, you can add it as an extra Google account. You certainly don't want to be buying apps on an account that might go away in the future, though. Hell, if nothing else just set up your GApps mail to forward to your "real" GMail.

No, I'm saying you don't really control a Google account any more than anything else. More than a university account, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

No, I'm saying you don't really control a Google account any more than anything else. More than a university account, I guess.
Ah, I catch your meaning now. :doh: Although I'd say if you're to the point where you're buying a Google phone you're probably past the point of caring about where your webmail lives and whether Google is peeking at your files in Drive.

Still, Island Nation actually is concerned about those things so in this case it's really a matter of understanding that all smartphones are personal data exfiltration devices and you can't have one if you aren't comfortable with the surveillance.