Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Falcon2001 posted:

Either way I'm not like anti-BSD or anything and I certainly recognize that systems like applicances have huge problems if you try to exceed their functionality compared to a full BSD install, but my goal is to just not have to learn a new OS to setup basic functionality on my NAS. I'll check out NAS4Free and see how it goes - might boot it on my laptop or something to test out the UI.
As someone who had never used BSD before, I found NAS4Free to be exceedingly easy to set up. The one and only gotcha I had was finding that allowing it to "tune certain variables" or whatever the actual checkbox verbage is, produced far WORSE performance than not letting it "optimize" things. Seriously, though, you download it, dump it to a USB drive, plug it in and turn it on, hit Install, mash Enter a few times, wait for it to finish, and then boot up Firefox to access the WebGUI. Setting up a ZFS share takes roughly 5 minutes of clicking through menus. You literally never need to touch the CLI, or toy with any parameter, variable, or whatnot (although you can if you really want to). It's pretty close to "just works" unless you are hilariously anal about eeking out the last drop of performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Falcon2001 posted:

The whole package management kerfluffle with BSD is a great example. The documentation is almost certainly explicit on how package management works, how to set up a repository, what they are, and exact specs about it. None of that answers the question 'why does my main repo contain zero packages'.

Either way I'm not like anti-BSD or anything and I certainly recognize that systems like applicances have huge problems if you try to exceed their functionality compared to a full BSD install, but my goal is to just not have to learn a new OS to setup basic functionality on my NAS. I'll check out NAS4Free and see how it goes - might boot it on my laptop or something to test out the UI.

Are you talking about the empty pkg repos as a result of the security breech? There are packages available now and I'm pretty sure that pkg was still in beta at the time there weren't any packages available.

And if you are using that as an example of how FreeBSD documentation is bad, then compare their official documentation on it to that of the kernel.org breech (there isn't any).

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

hifi posted:

Are you talking about the empty pkg repos as a result of the security breech? There are packages available now and I'm pretty sure that pkg was still in beta at the time there weren't any packages available.

And if you are using that as an example of how FreeBSD documentation is bad, then compare their official documentation on it to that of the kernel.org breech (there isn't any).

Suffice to say 'documentation' wasn't really what I meant (earlier post made that clear) but instructions were. Nowhere in that does it say 'here's a good alternative repo to use' or anything like that, and in the process of finding out I got a lot of flak from neckbeards on the internet for not 'already knowing about the other repo'. Either way good to hear it's gone for now, the whole experience just soured me on FreeBSD a bit.

Edit: Wow, I can pick up a latest-gen Microserver for less than the price of some more decked out appliances, that's pretty awesome. Close to convinced to go with Nas4Free.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 13, 2014

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
If you want the best documentation on ZFS and the OS it runs on you install Solaris.

Too bad KVM does not run on it, otherwise I would still be using it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

Edit: Wow, I can pick up a latest-gen Microserver for less than the price of some more decked out appliances, that's pretty awesome. Close to convinced to go with Nas4Free.
With appliances, you're paying for the convenience of "just plug it in," and because they look nice(ish), not because they get you the best price:performance (or anywhere close to it, usually).

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

DrDork posted:

With appliances, you're paying for the convenience of "just plug it in," and because they look nice(ish), not because they get you the best price:performance (or anywhere close to it, usually).

Yeah, I actually just expected the Microserver to be pricier. After filling it with RAM it's on par pricewise with the Synology DS412+ and the QNAP TS-451, and will do a lot more.

I just have to convince myself I'm going to use all the 'more' that it will do when I haven't so far on my current NAS, especially when it requires futzing around with an OS I'm not familiar with. :\ Otherwise I'll probably end up getting a QNAP TS-420 or a Synology DS 414.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Just to confirm this, as I had a rather lengthy discussion with someone over this:
Drobo BeyondRAID isn't ZFS, is it?
Similarily, zfs doesn't currently support any other method of pool expansion than: 1) drive replacement and resilvering then autogrowing 2) by adding additional vdevs?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

Just to confirm this, as I had a rather lengthy discussion with someone over this:
Drobo BeyondRAID isn't ZFS, is it?
Similarily, zfs doesn't currently support any other method of pool expansion than: 1) drive replacement and resilvering then autogrowing 2) by adding additional vdevs?

No, Yes and Yes. :)

metallyca
Oct 26, 2004
I'm currently thinking about building a modest desktop NAS at home to house my movies, TV shows, music, etc. I'll most likely either use FreeNAS or NAS4free but haven't decided yet. This is what I've spec'd out so far:

Case: CHENBRO SR30169T2-250 Compact Service Chassis
Motherboard: MSI B85I
CPU: Intel Celeron G1820
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Drives: WD Red WD30EFRX 3TB x4

Any comments, recommendations, critiques?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

metallyca posted:

I'm currently thinking about building a modest desktop NAS at home to house my movies, TV shows, music, etc. I'll most likely either use FreeNAS or NAS4free but haven't decided yet. This is what I've spec'd out so far:

Case: CHENBRO SR30169T2-250 Compact Service Chassis
Motherboard: MSI B85I
CPU: Intel Celeron G1820
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Drives: WD Red WD30EFRX 3TB x4

Any comments, recommendations, critiques?

N54L on Newegg's near-monthly sale?

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

For running pure NAS software, this is a good choice. I'm thinking of buying a cheap Intel NUC as a "frontend server" for my N54L, as the CPU is a bit too weak to run (for instance) Plex streaming at 1080p. I think that Celeron would do the job nicely, too.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

dorkanoid posted:

For running pure NAS software, this is a good choice. I'm thinking of buying a cheap Intel NUC as a "frontend server" for my N54L, as the CPU is a bit too weak to run (for instance) Plex streaming at 1080p. I think that Celeron would do the job nicely, too.

I've actually been really impressed with how well it handles HD Plex transcoding, outside of a few files with oddball formats. It's been way more adequate than I expected.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

I've actually been really impressed with how well it handles HD Plex transcoding, outside of a few files with oddball formats. It's been way more adequate than I expected.

Might be because of my esxi setup, but 1080p does not stream well to my chromecast at least. Completely unwatchable, so I'm going to put a more powerful computer to the task, and use the N54L as dumb storage.

metallyca
Oct 26, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

I considered the N54L but decided to build my own which comes out to the same essentially the same price and I don't like the fact that the N54L isn't hot-plug.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

metallyca posted:

I considered the N54L but decided to build my own which comes out to the same essentially the same price and I don't like the fact that the N54L isn't hot-plug.

The drive slots are all hotplug when you flash the bios that also makes the optical SATA full-speed.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

That reminds me...

I've been looking at cages to convert 5.24" bays to 3.5" bays and most of them are hot plug things instead of just a mechanical thing to mount drives in.

Is there any advantage to a hot plug set up other than the ability to change drives on the fly?

If not, I wonder why there's so many of these hot plug bay adapters obviously aimed at the home user...it's not like we've got mission critical data that needs to remain online 24/7.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Is there any advantage to a hot plug set up other than the ability to change drives on the fly?
You can power them all over one plug instead of one for each drive? That's about it, really.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

DrDork posted:

You can power them all over one plug instead of one for each drive? That's about it, really.

Huh? Hotplug is nice because I can swap drives without having to interrupt whatever the family is using from the volume by rebooting: Plex streaming, iTunes music, etc.

It's a nice convenience, especially if it doesn't cost any extra.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

Huh? Hotplug is nice because I can swap drives without having to interrupt whatever the family is using from the volume by rebooting: Plex streaming, iTunes music, etc.

Hotplug drive cages cost a lot more though, and you don't gain hotplug capabilities from it (its a setting on your bios)

metallyca
Oct 26, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

The drive slots are all hotplug when you flash the bios that also makes the optical SATA full-speed.

Guess I should have done more research then. Thanks.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

eddiewalker posted:

Me: Is there any advantage to hot plug besides swapping drives on a live system?
DrDork: No, that's about it.
You: What? You can swap drives on a live system!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Thermopyle posted:

Me: Is there any advantage to hot plug besides swapping drives on a live system?
DrDork: No, that's about it.
You: What? You can swap drives on a live system!

I'm sorry. I misunderstood.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Trying to build an 8-bay NAS as an alternative to the Synology model...anyone know of a good motherboard / SATA controller combo option that comes to 8 SATA ports, under $100? Unless I'm missing something here (likely,) things seem to get a little more dicey in terms of price competitiveness with premade units when you're dealing with more than 6 ports. Obviously ECC RAM support would also be needed. No preference in terms of socket type. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, appreciate the help.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Silverstone DS380 can fit the E3C224D4I-14S, according to this post. Add in a Xeon E3-1230L and the appropriate amount of memory for your zpool, that should give you a hotpluggable 8-bay NAS on a proper LSI controller.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
My kingston boot USB stick failed on me. I was careful about not writing anything to it so I don't know what it's problem is. Suggestions for a good replacement?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

The Silverstone DS380 can fit the E3C224D4I-14S, according to this post. Add in a Xeon E3-1230L and the appropriate amount of memory for your zpool, that should give you a hotpluggable 8-bay NAS on a proper LSI controller.
Would this one work? It's a little cheaper and also has an LSI controller.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131719

Also, the Xeon E3-1230L is pretty expensive, would I be OK with an i3 (or a Pentium, even?)

I notice that the DS1813+ only comes with 2GB RAM, although other sources online are suggesting I need 1GB per TB. Do I really need 32GB of ECC RAM if I'm planning to eventually upgrade to 32TB total? This is for backup purposes, not production, so it doesn't need to be whip-fast.

Again, sorry for being a giant noob.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 14, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Would this one work? It's a little cheaper and also has an LSI controller.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131719

Also, the Xeon E3-1230L is pretty expensive, would I be OK with an i3 (or a Pentium, even?)

I notice that the DS1813+ only comes with 2GB RAM, although other sources online are suggesting I need 1GB per TB. Do I really need 32GB of ECC RAM if I'm planning to eventually upgrade to 32TB total? This is for backup purposes, not production, so it doesn't need to be whip-fast.

Again, sorry for being a giant noob.

Thats for ZFS. If you are running xpenology you do not need 1gb/tb

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
You don't even "need" that for ZFS, I think that was the rule of thumb for deduplication. More is always better though.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Don Lapre posted:

Thats for ZFS. If you are running xpenology you do not need 1gb/tb

I have 7TB on 2GB, what's supposed to be the issue?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

AlternateAccount posted:

I have 7TB on 2GB, what's supposed to be the issue?

A lot of people try to do 1gb per tb when running zfs.

It only applies to ZFS.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

If I turn off de-dupe I should be fine with 16gb though, right?

Here's my proposed build for FreeNAS / ZFS:

Fractal Design R4
Rosewill CAPSTONE-550 PSU
ASUS P8B-C/SAS/4L
Core i3-3240
Kingston 16GB ECC (KVR16LR11D4/16I)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 14, 2014

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

thebigcow posted:

You don't even "need" that for ZFS, I think that was the rule of thumb for deduplication. More is always better though.

Its 5gb/tb for dedup :vince:

It's fine if you are happy with performance, although you shouldn't have dedupe on in the first place. The "rules of thumb" for memory/storage are intended for a production environment and are related more to performance than minimum or even average requirements.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For a pool of almost any reasonable home size, yes. Also, never loving turn on dedupe. I made that mistake once. :cripes: never again

I'm at 8GB RAM now on my current build with a ~17TB ZFS pool. I do have a couple of old cheap SSDs stuck in (one as ZIL, one as L2ARC) though, mostly from consolidation / trying to fix aforementioned dedupe fuckup.

That's an odd motherboard choice with a massive stack of legacy PCI slots? Do you already have it? I mean it should work but you can probably get a better-suited Supermicro X8/X9/X10 board for the same or less if you're buying it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I haven't purchased it yet, no. Maybe I should just get a Supermicro board instead, or some mini-ITX and RAID card combo. Would love any suggestions on those.

Like this maybe?

Fractal Design FD-CA-NODE-804-BL
SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O
Core i3-3240
Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ECC Unbuffered CT2KIT102472BD160B
Rosewill CAPSTONE-550

We might just start out by filling up the 6 SATA ports on the motherboard, and when we need another two drives, slap in a PCI RAID add-in card as well.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 14, 2014

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

We might just start out by filling up the 6 SATA ports on the motherboard, and when we need another two drives, slap in a PCI RAID add-in card as well.

You could always get a M1015 controller off of ebay for around $100 to handle your 8x SATA ports and then not have to worry so much about how many ports your motherboard has.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are you looking to buy new or no? If you don't care if the hardware is used, I'm still quite a big fan of this that I purchased about a week ago. It doesn't have the IPMI capabilities of the X9SCL-F you have selected, but would require a full ATX chassis. It's also got six SATA ports and has the equivalent of an IBM m1015 built in, which can be flashed to IT mode in the exact same way so you're only a couple of 8087-to-SATA cables away from having 14 SATA ports on the board itself. It's also got a CPU, heatsink/fan, 256MB USB drive, and 8GB ECC (looks like unbuffered).

If you're going new, why bother with the X9 generation stuff? Get something from the Supermicro X10SL* line, like an X10SLM-F.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
KOTEX - if you haven't bought anything yet you should hop on the deal IOwnCalculus posted. Bang for the buck wise it's a killer deal.

More of you guys need to buy those up so that it stops tempting me...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It is a sweet deal, but this is for a small business and I'm not doing the purchasing. I'll float it anyway though, thanks for the link. If I were building this for myself I'd jump all over that.

What are the benefits of the X10 vs. X9? I note that the X10SLM is also an 1150 board so I'd have to choose a different proc.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 14, 2014

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I'm looking for the fastest possible 4-5 TB external storage solution. Is a NAS faster than a USB 3 external hard drive? I'm aware it has other advantages but all I care about is going fasssttttt like in that Jason Statham movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What are the benefits of the X10 vs. X9? I note that the X10SLM is also an 1150 board so I'd have to choose a different proc.

Nothing groundbreaking really, but last I checked the new prices on X9 vs X10 were pretty much the same; might as well get the newest and probably get some slight reduction in power consumption as a result.