Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

numberoneposter posted:

wish it was better, i was doing well off the bat and weeding out the dozens of scammers and then got home from a night on the town and like an idiot turned on my computer instead of just going to bed and then totally loving forgot that CS:GO is full of hackers, scammers, and equal parts idiots like me and then went ahead with this rear end in a top hat who i should have known was just a scammer. like we even talked about currency prices and poo poo so during the negotiation process i hosed up and forget to look at all the tools like that rep site and other huge red flags that now are extremely evident.

Yes. But how did this happen. I mean are you literally saying you just gave him the knife in trade on the promise that at some point he'd paypal you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

wish it was better, i was doing well off the bat and weeding out the dozens of scammers and then got home from a night on the town and like an idiot turned on my computer instead of just going to bed and then totally loving forgot that CS:GO is full of hackers, scammers, and equal parts idiots like me and then went ahead with this rear end in a top hat who i should have known was just a scammer. like we even talked about currency prices and poo poo so during the negotiation process i hosed up and forget to look at all the tools like that rep site and other huge red flags that now are extremely evident.

But how did he scam you? I mean did he give you money then take it away? Did you trade the knife first?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

stickyfngrdboy posted:

But how did he scam you? I mean did he give you money then take it away? Did you trade the knife first?

The latest variant of the scam that I recall reading about is the fake-friendly-middleman scam:

1. You have knife
2. Before approaching you, scammer looks at your friends list and finds a dude(probably without vanity URL and with easy-to-replicate profile as well as being non-active for a while)
3. Scammer creates new Steam account and attempts to 'clone' your real friend's profile
4. Scammer approaches you and haggles, then kindly suggests using this faux-friend as a trusted middleman
5. Like an idiot you don't actually check out the profile all that hard before accepting the trade request
6. Scammer puts your knife into his For Trade profile bling

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

yes i failed at the most basic level of trading money for things

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Oh so the scamming guy says he's given money to middleman and middleman says the same, but really middleman is scamming guy? This doesn't seem like a very hard scam to avoid, to be truthful.

edit: that's not a dig at you, OP, we've all done silly things with a drink in us

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

no its fine, im a total idiot and wouldn't have done this sober and deserve all the heckling and more, gently caress.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Has anyone ever completed a transaction with a trusted middleman? How would a middleman that he suggests from your friends list ever be trusted by the other party? It makes no sense.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

kcer posted:

Has anyone ever completed a transaction with a trusted middleman? How would a middleman that he suggests from your friends list ever be trusted by the other party? It makes no sense.

this was my immediate reaction. I'm sure the keys method, which is mentioned in here often, seems to be the only secure way to trade something rare like that. I can't think of any other way that doesn't rely entirely on trust.

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

numberoneposter posted:

yes i failed at the most basic level of trading money for things

The specifics of this are still unclear to me, how did he take money away during the transaction? Is this a weird bartering website of some sort? Or did you just hand the knife to a middleman and poof, everyone's gone?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

kcer posted:

Isn't the steam marketplace 15%. Who's this guy to want 15% too?

Oh is it? I haven't really paid that much attention when selling stuff on the steam market. I guess having 15% taken but getting real money isn't the worst deal in that case. I usually just sell stuff on the market cuz I don't get anything worth much anyways.

quote:

Like what, out of curiosity? Certainly if I were that guy, and when it comes time I don't want mine, I'll just dump it on the market so I don't have to deal with scams.

trading it for keys/multiple lower value items and selling those. Or trade for bitcoins because you can't reverse a bitcoin transaction. I'd probably just use the steam market too though, unless it was worth more than $300 or so. also, I think if you are just careful you can avoid the scams.

Apogee15 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 12, 2014

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Apogee15 posted:

Oh is it? I haven't really paid that much attention when selling stuff on the steam market. I guess having 15% taken but getting real money isn't the worst deal in that case. I usually just sell stuff on the market cuz I don't get anything worth much anyways.

trading it for keys/multiple lower value items and selling those. Or trade for bitcoins because you can't reverse a bitcoin transaction. I'd probably just use the steam market too though, unless it was worth more than $300 or so. also, I think if you are just careful you can avoid the scams.

The Steam Market puts the onus of fees onto the buyer, not the seller. So when you say "I want $100 for this" you get $100 to your wallet, but the buyer ends up paying $115 or whatever the valve+developer cut is. It only 'gets in the way' when you see that a hat is $120 and have to realize you're only getting $100 of that.

To elaborate more on the various high-profile-items options you have:

If you want to trade items-for-other-items: Just use official Steam Trading interface. Anybody not using it is scamming.
If you want to trade items for 'low' amounts of Steambux: Use the Steam Marketplace. Most people seem to have a like $200-400 max-price they're allowed to sell items for on the Marketplace. Thankfully this covers a huge amount of items you'll ever need to sell.
If you want to trade items for 'high' amounts of Steambux: For crazy stattrak knives that you can't sell on their own, trade first for Keys in the Steam Trading interface, then sell those keys on the market. If you figure your stattrak knife is worth $1500, trade it for the 600 keys or whatever, and then sell all those keys. Yes you're 'losing' 15% to resell those keys but that's the cost of safety.
If you want real money: Good loving luck.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Cuntpunch posted:

Trade for keys then sell the keys. Who's gonna scam you out of a $1.50 key, and who cares if 1/100 people do?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Uh when you list the item you can choose to either have them pay the fee (they pay $115 u get $100) or have it taken out of the $100 they pay.

Lmao at the guy who got scammed. Must have been some real low grade "i will send paypal after accept trade xD" judging from his sidestepping the "how" question hahaha.

Trade poo poo for keys, sell keys to goons in SA mart for paypal dummy.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Yeah can someone elaborate how you can get hosed through Paypal if you just hold steady on "You need to pay me first as a Gift Payment, I'll transfer to bank account, then I will trade over the key or no dice."

I'd probably just use our goon broker to avoid the hassle.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

The Joe Man posted:

Yeah can someone elaborate how you can get hosed through Paypal

What happened was, he didn't trade for keys first.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

The Joe Man posted:

Yeah can someone elaborate how you can get hosed through Paypal if you just hold steady on "You need to pay me first as a Gift Payment, I'll transfer to bank account, then I will trade over the key or no dice."

The main method of paypal scams is usually just issuing a chargeback, or using a stolen card, which will result in a chargeback once the fraudulent activity has been noticed by the bank

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

whoknew posted:

The crimson huntsman was mine. I did not get scammed. My csgo inventory is worth like $900.

oh dang I thought you did. Ok nevermind. Grats on being the only idiot to get scammed, idiot

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

kcer posted:

I used a mod/server admin from the sourceop forums to get about $200 paypal. This was a few years ago

Powerful Wizard IRL fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 13, 2014

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

The Joe Man posted:

Paypal can still come for their money even if you transfer it out first. The only way they let you move any substantial amount of money in a reasonable amount of time is by tying your bank account to them and giving them real information. This can be sidestepped, of course, but you'd be the scammer then.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

numberoneposter posted:

im a loving idiot and should have my internet privileges revoked

R.I.P.

More carbon than sense. You should probably stop drinking too.

e: That's at least a $3,000 bike.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 13, 2014

Unused
Aug 29, 2008

:pcgaming:
If you want to turn a butterfly knife into money i'll give you $100 and a lovely knife for one. o/

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cuntpunch posted:

The Steam Market puts the onus of fees onto the buyer, not the seller. So when you say "I want $100 for this" you get $100 to your wallet, but the buyer ends up paying $115 or whatever the valve+developer cut is. It only 'gets in the way' when you see that a hat is $120 and have to realize you're only getting $100 of that.

To elaborate more on the various high-profile-items options you have:

If you want to trade items-for-other-items: Just use official Steam Trading interface. Anybody not using it is scamming.
If you want to trade items for 'low' amounts of Steambux: Use the Steam Marketplace. Most people seem to have a like $200-400 max-price they're allowed to sell items for on the Marketplace. Thankfully this covers a huge amount of items you'll ever need to sell.
If you want to trade items for 'high' amounts of Steambux: For crazy stattrak knives that you can't sell on their own, trade first for Keys in the Steam Trading interface, then sell those keys on the market. If you figure your stattrak knife is worth $1500, trade it for the 600 keys or whatever, and then sell all those keys. Yes you're 'losing' 15% to resell those keys but that's the cost of safety.

So, as someone who doesn't trade very much, I'm just going to ask this to make sure I understand this on the off chance I get a super-high value item (hahaha, yeah right).

1) People are stupid with money and will pay big bux for knife or AWP skins, doubly so if they're stattrak.
2) As much as Steam would LOVE customers throwing them money they generally don't let people sell stuff for more than $200-400 because they know people are stupid with their wallets and don't want to bankrupt their customers.
3) People get around this by trading for keys since they have a relatively set value (I.e. $2.50 - 1-5 cents to make buying a key on Steam market cheaper than buying directly from game - 15%) Therefore if I should trade an item for X value in keys if someone finds my weapon skin a MUST HAVE item and has more money than sense.
4) People are loving stupid with money
5) If anyone wants to trade via a middleman they are scamming assholes.

1, 4 and 5 I understood already (I've had so many people trying to get my TF2 Bill's Hat), though CS:GO repeatedly reminds and teaches me fresh how bad people are with money (it's a texture on your lovely AWP, and you want to pay me how much for it?). 2 and 3 are interesting mechanics though and I'll try to keep those in mind if I ever actually find myself in a situation where it is relevant.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Middleman aren't necessarily bad. It's when they suggest someone other than anyone on this list that you have a problem.

http://steamrep.com/list/M

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

whoknew posted:

Middleman aren't necessarily bad. It's when they suggest someone other than anyone on this list that you have a problem.

http://steamrep.com/list/M

Well, yes, but it just sets up a giant red flag that makes me laugh since the actual Steam trading system is incredibly reliable (though I have no idea how it would handle a trade of 100+ keys). It's always great getting people who added me out of nowhere, and the first thing they say after "Hi!" is "Bill's Hat Plz?" (bonus points if they waited a day or two out of what I assume is an effort to make me forget that they were a recent add) and when I humor them they go straight to "Oh, and something something lack of trust, middleman?"

I've yet to have "Try to use middleman pretending to be someone on my friend's list" but I have seen "Scammer himself try to pretend they're someone on my friend's list". And all that for a Bill's Hat which is something like only $20 or $40 last I checked forever ago.

Then again, people asking for that one hat (that I'd gladly toss up on the marketplace in a heartbeat if it was marketable) have dried up, probably because CS:GO items are worth $WTF. Shame because they always gave me a chuckle.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
"I expect a lot of dicks to be sucked at ramp" ~ hoods 2014

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Shadowlz posted:

More carbon than sense. You should probably stop drinking too.

e: That's at least a $3,000 bike.
My bike is a good build and I do race the thing. And yes I should stop drinking.

The wheels cost me about $1000 and the rest is like uhhh another $2000-3500 over time. loving dialed though and my first totally brand new bike and pretty much custom build.

Sorry for the derail but I'm glad all this stuff is being posted now. I loving blew it I know but the recent posts have been pretty insightful.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
How do you do free look in a demo?`

edit: found it, hit jump to change views.

\/\/\/ didn't see your reply. thanks though.

bpower fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 13, 2014

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

bpower posted:

How do you do free look in a demo?

Can't you just press spacebar a few times to change camera mode? That's what I've always done.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I haven't played this game in six months probably. I fired it up yesterday to find death match and I love it. Am I an animal for enjoying this?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

I haven't played this game in six months probably. I fired it up yesterday to find death match and I love it. Am I an animal for enjoying this?

Yes. You are supposed to get angry and throw things, while spouting obscenities in to voice chat. That's how you play csgo.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Ànd you certainly shouldn't be enjoying DM for its own sake. At its best it's a tedious exercise to hone a specific skill, e.g. AWPing from pit.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

bpower posted:

Ànd you certainly shouldn't be enjoying DM for its own sake. At its best it's a tedious exercise to hone a specific skill, e.g. AWPing from pit.

dont listen to this idiot if you enjoy something keep doing it ffs

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

Deathmatch is mindless fun that's quick and easy to get into. Also a guaranteed chance at drops every 10 minutes.

I had fun using DM to grind my way to 500 AWP kills without being an actual hindrance on my team like I would be in any other game mode.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

stickyfngrdboy posted:

dont listen to this idiot if you enjoy something keep doing it ffs

Wrong, you aren't supposed to have fun in this game

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
DMing is the only fun I get out of this game anymore (((

I am broken

mcvey fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 13, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Deathmatch is mindless fun that's quick and easy to get into. Also a guaranteed chance at drops every 10 minutes.

I had fun using DM to grind my way to 500 AWP kills without being an actual hindrance on my team like I would be in any other game mode.

Isn't arms race the same thing but 5 min instead of ten?

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

VelociBacon posted:

Isn't arms race the same thing but 5 min instead of ten?
Theoretically speaking, Arms Race is shorter, but not always. Arms race is timed, but it ends if someone wins, so it could be 5 minutes, but if it was really even (or everyone was bad) it could be 20+ minutes too. Deathmatch is a guaranteed 10 minutes.

Coleman fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 13, 2014

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL
You don't get to choose your gun in arms race.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gristley Bear posted:

You don't get to choose your gun in arms race.

And you only get one kill with each gun before you switch to the next.

And you risk having to play on that one horrible, horrible airport themed map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.

The Joe Man posted:

They can still chargeback or use a stolen card, so this doesn't provide any real protection.

Ask to be paid by moneypak. It's a card you put money on, purchasable at any gas station or whatever, that's got a code on the back that you can plug right into paypal. If they try to chargeback or it's a stolen card, the store where it was purchased takes the hit, not you.

Use a steamrep middleman and ONLY a steamrep middleman. Add him yourself. Expect to have to wait a day or two for everyone to be online and free at the same time. If the buyer freaks out about wanting to trade fast, they're scamming you. Before you trade anything to the middleman, double check their account to make sure they are who you think they are. If you install enhanced steam and open their profile up in your actual browser, there will be a link to their steamrep on the side of the page. Approved middleman will be clearly labelled on that page. Makes it very easy to check. I've used [RG]Bacon before and he was really helpful regarding safe ways to trade. If you use him, tip him when things are done. I talked to him and most people don't.

Bulk buyers of keys on dota2lounge with multiple pages of rep going back a few months are pretty safe to sell to, too. I've offloaded keys to these guys a couple times (No middleman, I traded first) with no issues. But don't cash out anything you can't afford to lose, because there's always a chance to get burned. Also be aware that if you try to sell a knife to one of these guys, they're likely going to try to rip you off. If they're offering less than $1.8 * the key value of the knife, you're getting hosed.

I've cashed out about ~700 bucks the last few months and haven't gotten burned yet, but you've got to wade through a TON of scam attempts. You can immediately filter out anyone with a low level account, few paid games (basically obvious alts), low hours played, private profiles, etc. Just block them immediately.

I've helped a few goons out with trading questions/stuff, I'm steamcommunity.com/id/<my SA username> if anyone unlocks something big and needs help not getting scammed.

• Locked thread