Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mierenneuker posted:

Stuff like that is unsettling when you're so used to being yelled at in English, alien languages or beastly growls. I just started replaying Hitman: Contracts and even though I know it has stages in Rotterdam, the Dutch bikers still caught me off-guard (again).

It's pretty funny how they used someone with an accent originating from the Antilles for the big, burly, white guards though.

IIRC the Hitman devs went out of their way to hire voice actors who were actual native speakers of the languages in each level of the games.

e. At least for the levels in Europe since the developers are Danish. The opening level to Blood Money was in America had some hilariously bad accents on the gang members.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 16:57 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
In MGS Peace Walker, you can get a bunch of phrases to use in co-ops, from your standard directions and "Enemy sighted!" type thing to one that's just going "meow" a few times. If you say that one to Miller, he goes "Meow? Meow meow meow" right back. :3:

LappyDore64
Jun 16, 2013

by XyloJW
So I was reading the "Complain About Videogames" thread and some people were whinging about the wanted level system in GTAV being TOO TOUCHY or somesuch, but I had a great little moment a while back when playing as Trevor.

You know how sometimes when you switch to Trevor after a while as somebody else he'll be in his underwear after blacking out somewhere completely random? One time I managed to switch to him as he was coming off a bender at the top of Mount Chilead. I stagger over to the observation platform and look at the skyline of Los Santos in the early morning sun and just happen to turn to look at a fellow early-bird on the platform.

I press the command button to make Trevor say something and he comes up with something pretty innocuous (it may even have just been "'Morning") and this dude just stares at Trevor a moment and then PULLS OUT HIS PHONE AND CALLS THE COPS.

Because Trevor said hello to him! :wtc:

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
That's because holy poo poo if a guy like trevor stumbled up to me first thing in the morning in his underwear I'd call the cops too.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
That happened to me when I was playing as Mike, when the hipster called the police and got a one star on me. I pressed the "hello" button and Mike said, "You really need to work on your personality you know." I know it's random but it just fits perfectly.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The best part about pedestrians calling the cops is that you can interrupt them by decking them when they first pull out their phone.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

LappyDore64 posted:

So I was reading the "Complain About Videogames" thread and some people were whinging about the wanted level system in GTAV being TOO TOUCHY or somesuch, but I had a great little moment a while back when playing as Trevor.

You know how sometimes when you switch to Trevor after a while as somebody else he'll be in his underwear after blacking out somewhere completely random? One time I managed to switch to him as he was coming off a bender at the top of Mount Chilead. I stagger over to the observation platform and look at the skyline of Los Santos in the early morning sun and just happen to turn to look at a fellow early-bird on the platform.

I press the command button to make Trevor say something and he comes up with something pretty innocuous (it may even have just been "'Morning") and this dude just stares at Trevor a moment and then PULLS OUT HIS PHONE AND CALLS THE COPS.

Because Trevor said hello to him! :wtc:

To be fair Trevor probably has multiple warrants for his arrest at any given time, with a sketch of his face constantly plastered all over the news.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I'm pretty late to the Mass Effect party, but going through Mass Effect 2 was a real treat with respect to companions butting into the conversation at just the right time, especially Legion. If you somehow manage to get him as a squadmate before you land on the Citadel, you have to essentially take him through space customs.

"After the geth attack there was a review of security protocol, a few minor changes to reduce the chance of geth infiltration."
Legion: "Geth do not infiltrate."
"You should leave your synthetic assistant home! They aren't allowed on public shuttles anymore."
Legion: "...Geth do not intentionally infiltrate."

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Mass Effect 2 was the only game in the series I liked, and I think Legion was a big part of that. He was pretty neat.

I'm replaying Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga and it's sequels. I love all the silly background events featuring Luigi, like him falling asleep in a lecture.

Later on you get the Firehand and Thunderbrand power for Mario and Luigi respectively that lets them make a ball of Fire/Electricity as a melee attack. One of my friends insists that Mario got fire because he acts hotheaded and Luigi is quick to bolt. Probably entirely a coincidence, but a neat thought.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Jon Irenicus posted:

I'm pretty late to the Mass Effect party, but going through Mass Effect 2 was a real treat with respect to companions butting into the conversation at just the right time, especially Legion. If you somehow manage to get him as a squadmate before you land on the Citadel, you have to essentially take him through space customs.

"After the geth attack there was a review of security protocol, a few minor changes to reduce the chance of geth infiltration."
"You should leave your synthetic assistant home! They aren't allowed on public shuttles anymore."

Legion has a ton of really great unused dialogue because the game was originally going to let you get all the squadmates in any order.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Wolfenstein tno is a very silly game, with a very silly protagonist, but the world building is pretty good. Little mentions of nazi-fied history (the Beatles singing das Blau u-boat) and references to other nazis-won-ww2 media make it feel more like a lived world, for the brief amount of time you're in it. It's also really pretty.

My favourite little thing though is blaskowitz himself. His internal monologue is so, so tired. It's hackneyed, but little lines like 'I've seen so much death. If I let the sorrow in, it would drown me' really made me think about how terribly depressing his situation is - spends whole adult life fighting nazis (all other wolfenstein games are basically canon in TNO), goes on last ditch revenge mission, wakes up and they won. gently caress. Kill 'em all!

There's also little world building efforts put in to both show the horror of a fascist dominated planet and also to make the point that not all Germans, even not all of those fighting on their side, were genocidal bastards - the German priest in South Africa is an anthropologist horrified by the nazis, there's little mentions of everyone you kill having a mother (for example), and a poorly developed but very interesting ex-nazi.

It could (an should) have been a better game, but I liked what they were going for and it'll be my brainless shooter go-to for a while. Nazis make such good antagonists, playing games that use even-more-over-the-top poo poo than they actually did (in this case suggesting the total depopulation of much of subsaharan Africa) really makes me feel a bit queasy about playing as them in other games like WoT.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Improbable Lobster posted:

Legion has a ton of really great unused dialogue because the game was originally going to let you get all the squadmates in any order.

My favourite thing about Legion is speaking to him on the ship. The weird hum of the engine, coupled with his ominous dialogue was really fitting. Especially when you ask him why he was wearing your armour, and his answer is something like 'Data not available' after a bit of a pause.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

lenoon posted:

Wolfenstein tno is a very silly game, with a very silly protagonist, but the world building is pretty good. Little mentions of nazi-fied history (the Beatles singing das Blau u-boat) and references to other nazis-won-ww2 media make it feel more like a lived world, for the brief amount of time you're in it. It's also really pretty.

My favourite little thing though is blaskowitz himself. His internal monologue is so, so tired. It's hackneyed, but little lines like 'I've seen so much death. If I let the sorrow in, it would drown me' really made me think about how terribly depressing his situation is - spends whole adult life fighting nazis (all other wolfenstein games are basically canon in TNO), goes on last ditch revenge mission, wakes up and they won. gently caress. Kill 'em all!

There's also little world building efforts put in to both show the horror of a fascist dominated planet and also to make the point that not all Germans, even not all of those fighting on their side, were genocidal bastards - the German priest in South Africa is an anthropologist horrified by the nazis, there's little mentions of everyone you kill having a mother (for example), and a poorly developed but very interesting ex-nazi.

It could (an should) have been a better game, but I liked what they were going for and it'll be my brainless shooter go-to for a while. Nazis make such good antagonists, playing games that use even-more-over-the-top poo poo than they actually did (in this case suggesting the total depopulation of much of subsaharan Africa) really makes me feel a bit queasy about playing as them in other games like WoT.

Yeah, I've found it struck a really nice balance between somewhat more serious moments and the silliness inherent to the setting. You get to have BJ going maximum grumble about the cost of war and all that, and then half an hour later he busts out something like: "Nazis dead, Nazi robot dead, broke all your poo poo. Helicopters secured." :allears: TNO really turned out to be way, way better game than I'd ever expected.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I really really like how atmospheric the Gibraltar Bridge level was. Like, you've just committed a major terrorist act with a magic Jewish ball of spindly doom. There's almost no music, and when there is, it's very understated. It's just you climbing around the giant bridge that you broke using a device you've never seen before. The only thing I wanted out of it by the end of the whole game was more time on the moon.

also an engine that doesn't hate the poo poo out of AMD drivers

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My favourite thing about Legion is speaking to him on the ship. The weird hum of the engine, coupled with his ominous dialogue was really fitting. Especially when you ask him why he was wearing your armour, and his answer is something like 'Data not available' after a bit of a pause.

Another great bit is when you see the Geth archives or the morning war and you see a Geth pick up a sniper rifle. Shepard remarks that :"That rifle looks like the one you used to use."
he pauses before he says "It was a popular model."

Those little hints that Legion was more human that he seemed really stuck out to me.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Jon Irenicus posted:

Thats just what he wants them to think. The game does label him as a Geth Infiltrator.

He is infiltrating them right now :3:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The substantial pauses in the conversation when you ask him about himself are fantastic, especially since as a synthetic he processes stuff way faster than humans and you can tell it's a more personal point. Like when you ask him about the fact that he has your old N7 armor patched into him and he just says "...there was a hole." And if you press him about it and say "okay, but you could have patched it up with anything, why do you have my armor there", there's a pause of several seconds before he finally replies "...no data available." He's practically mumbling at that point, it's great. :3:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

OptimusShr posted:

Another great bit is when you see the Geth archives or the morning war and you see a Geth pick up a sniper rifle. Shepard remarks that :"That rifle looks like the one you used to use."

Those little hints that Legion was more human that he seemed really stuck out to me.

That and I think it's a good hint that most, if not all, of the the Geth were much more civilized than the first game gave them credit. They were and invading force of robot men so it was easy for the "higher" species to strip them of their, I guess, humanity.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My favorite thing about Legion is that he can he can do the robot and beatbox.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite Legion moment is in ME3.

After he makes peace with the quarians and has to go himself to the geth to give them their individuality, in his final goodbye, after Tali attempts to apologize for what her people did to them, he says "I know". He didn't say we, he said I know, it was a great moment that really humanized him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My favourite Arkham Origins line was during a predator room in the campaign, after stringing up a goon from a gargoyle. One of his friends sees him: "Oh my God... Is he saving him for later!? :gonk:"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Inzombiac posted:

That and I think it's a good hint that most, if not all, of the the Geth were much more civilized than the first game gave them credit. They were and invading force of robot men so it was easy for the "higher" species to strip them of their, I guess, humanity.

Mass Effect 3 has a mission or two that basically turn everything you know about the history of those two factions on its head. It's really great.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Did anyone ever figure out the exact, reliable steps for making peace between them rather than having to kill one faction off? Last time I paid close attention to the game that was still somewhat of a mystery.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

carry on then posted:

Mass Effect 3 has a mission or two that basically turn everything you know about the history of those two factions on its head. It's really great.

you mean the mission with the really hamfisted "THE GETH ARE SWEET INNOCENT BABY CHILDREN, THE QUARIANS ARE DUMB RACIST GENOCIDAL IDIOTS" stuff?

haveblue posted:

Did anyone ever figure out the exact, reliable steps for making peace between them rather than having to kill one faction off? Last time I paid close attention to the game that was still somewhat of a mystery.

do basically everything right in Mass Effect 2, and destroy the Geth Heretics in Legion's loyalty mission instead of rewriting them

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Alouicious posted:

do basically everything right in Mass Effect 2, and destroy the Geth Heretics in Legion's loyalty mission instead of rewriting them

I rewrote them and still got that outcome. There's probably more than one way, but you do have to do quite a lot.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alouicious posted:

you mean the mission with the really hamfisted "THE GETH ARE SWEET INNOCENT BABY CHILDREN, THE QUARIANS ARE DUMB RACIST GENOCIDAL IDIOTS" stuff?

People really like it when sequels intentionally deconstruct stuff from the previous games so long as it's a sequel by Obsidian. Otherwise they complain that it isn't internally consistent and is hamfisted and came out of nowhere.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

carry on then posted:

I rewrote them and still got that outcome. There's probably more than one way, but you do have to do quite a lot.

Straight from the Mass Effect wiki:

Note: The Reputation check's requirements are complex. First, there are factors which seem to be purely pass/fail; missing even one of them flunks the Reputation check:

Shepard must have at least four bars of Reputation.
Tali and Legion must both be present, which requires an imported save from Mass Effect 2. If no save was imported, Tali will have been exiled and will not be able to support Shepard with an Admiral's authority, while Legion will not appear at all.
The mission Rannoch: Geth Fighter Squadrons must be completed.

Additionally, there are other factors which build up Shepard's trustworthiness to both parties; if Shepard has not done enough of them, the Commander will not have the groundswell of goodwill needed to moderate a cease-fire. According to the official Prima Games guide, each factor has a certain "point" value, and at least 5 "points" are necessary for the cease-fire to occur. These factors are:

(+2 points) Destroying the heretic geth in Legion: A House Divided. In shipboard conversation, you can ask Legion about the repercussions of your decision, and it will mention that the absence of the Heretics made the consensus to join the "Old Machines" more difficult to achieve. Geth forces are also considerably weakened without the aid of the Heretics, giving the Migrant Fleet an edge in the battle and reducing the quarians' overall casualties.
(+2 points) Preventing Tali's exile in Tali: Treason without presenting evidence of Admiral Rael'Zorah's experiments on the geth. While it's possible to present the evidence and still be able to broker peace, it adds its own problem in that it makes Tali far less likely to survive the attack on the Collector Base.
(+1 point) Brokering a peace in the Tali/Legion loyalty argument. If the player did not have sufficient Paragon/Renegade points at that time, loyalty of either Tali or Legion would have been lost. In that case -- even if loyalty had been regained later -- this "point" will not count towards the five needed to pass the Reputation check (and broker the ceasefire).
(+1 point) Completing Rannoch: Admiral Koris.
(+1 point) Saving Admiral Koris during Rannoch: Admiral Koris.

So yeah. Say what you want about the game's ending, but your past choices certainly affected other things.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

People really like it when sequels intentionally deconstruct stuff from the previous games so long as it's a sequel by Obsidian. Otherwise they complain that it isn't internally consistent and is hamfisted and came out of nowhere.

The entire Geth subplot was picked up by a different and significantly more inept writer after the second game. It probably explains the incongruity.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Alouicious posted:

The main things:

Tali not Exiled/dead
Ensure Koris Survives by doing his mission first when available, choose saving him over his random crew.
Make final Renegade/Paragon checks.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Priority:_Rannoch

Mass Effect 3's endings were legendarily bad, but at least the Quarian/Geth and Krogan arcs got wrapped up well.

E: Beaten badly
E2 VVVVVVVVV : The Geth Did Nothing Wrong :colbert:

Sardonik has a new favorite as of 22:31 on Jul 14, 2014

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Look, I hate the "Obsidian can do no wrong, Bioware can do no right" goon-worship as much as you do, I'm sure, but the Quarian/geth stuff in ME3 really was stupid. It starts out perfectly fine: geth start out as non-sentient servant machines for the Quarians. Suddenly, they become self-aware. The Quarians freak out and try to deactivate them, as you might expect, and the geth don't want to be destroyed so they fight back. At this point you've got a perfectly good morally ambiguous conflict that doesn't really paint either side as the good or bad guy. But the stuff they had written since the first game said that the geth killed the vast majority of the Quarian species and forced the remainders off their planet. So how does ME3 work around this to make the conflict more ambiguous? (I think at this point anyone who wants to play the Mass Effect series already has, but I'll spoiler it anyway).

They don't. Legion just admits that the geth exterminated 99% of the Quarian species, and goes even further and says that when the Migrant Fleet was fleeing Rannoch, the geth had a debate on whether to kill off the terrified Quarian refugees and decided against it not because of any moral qualms about complete species genocide but because of a cold-blooded decision that completely wiping the Quarians out down to the last man, woman, and child might have future ramifications that might hurt the geth later down the road. Shepard reacts to this by declaring that the geth really are the good guys because they decided not to do literally the most evil thing possible to do, after killing billions of Quarians. It was pretty stupid.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

does your dick ever get chaffed, it must be pretty fuckin raw for all the masturbating you do about how much you don't like Obsidian, unlike those other goons, heh

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

OptimusShr posted:

Plus with the LtSB DLC, his secret communications reveal he plays the poo poo out of the ME2 future Call of Duty game and has been put on probation multiple times for taunting his opponents.

And with the Quarian romance VN he scores a 10/100 because he can't figure out how to make a Quarian waifu love him.

quote:

Galaxy of Fantasy:
Most Used Character: John Smith, Level 612 Ardat-Yakshi Necromancer
Group Affiliation: N/A
Most Recent Boss Defeated: K'l'rh, Rachni Blood Wizard
Awards:
- Best Supporter/Healer (Event: Scourge of the Thresher Dragon)
- Best Unit Efficiency (Event: Return of the Cyber-Protheans)
- Winner (Event: Crystal Genophage Elimination Platinum)
Infractions:
- Suspected use of VI play assistance (direct control of twenty-seven pets without use of behavior macros); challenged and overturned
- Suspected use of VI play assistance (reaction time better than possible for organics); challenged and overturned
- Suspected use of hacking for direct server access (tactics better than possible without knowledge of underlying code behavior); challenged and overturned
- Unsportsmanlike behavior (taunting during Crystal Genophage Elimination Platinum); accepted 3-day account suspension

N7 Code of Honor: Medal of Duty:
Player Score: 15,999,999,999 (max)
Most Preferred Class: Sniper
Least Preferred Class: Melee
Sniper Rifle Kills: 200,917 since last server reset
Shotgun Kills: 3

Grim Terminus Alliance:
Award: Abolitionist (Complete full playthrough without any slave kills, free all slaves encountered)
Award: Cure for What Ails You (Kill 100+ quarians)

Geth Attack: Eden Prime Fundraising Edition:
Donation Level: Ultra Platinum
Player Score: 0 (Purchased but not played)

Fleet and Flotilla: Interactive Cross-Species Relationship Simulator:
"Based on the Bestselling Vid!"
Playtime: 75 hours, 6 minutes
Player Score: 15 (Hopeless)

pentyne has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Jul 14, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

theshim posted:

The substantial pauses in the conversation when you ask him about himself are fantastic, especially since as a synthetic he processes stuff way faster than humans and you can tell it's a more personal point. Like when you ask him about the fact that he has your old N7 armor patched into him and he just says "...there was a hole." And if you press him about it and say "okay, but you could have patched it up with anything, why do you have my armor there", there's a pause of several seconds before he finally replies "...no data available." He's practically mumbling at that point, it's great. :3:

If I'm not mistaken that line was inserted by a disgruntled writer who kept being told to make Legion have some sort of celebrity worship thing going on with Shepard. That's the most effort put into it. :v:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

If I'm not mistaken that line was inserted by a disgruntled writer who kept being told to make Legion have some sort of celebrity worship thing going on with Shepard. That's the most effort put into it. :v:

From some of the early interviews, Legion was meant to be stalking Shepard for a good while before you meet him. Like he was carrying out his mission, but as he became more individual he latched into it as the only identity he had. But then console memory limits imposed a stricter recruitment mission order, so they wrote him into the end of the game instead.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
There's a girl in Shovel Knight that does "hey sex" whistle when you leave the shop area in the first town.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

From some of the early interviews, Legion was meant to be stalking Shepard for a good while before you meet him. Like he was carrying out his mission, but as he became more individual he latched into it as the only identity he had. But then console memory limits imposed a stricter recruitment mission order, so they wrote him into the end of the game instead.

There's still leftovers from that as he has dialogue for missions you're either unlikely to take him to or it's flat-out impossible to take him to.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Strategic Tea posted:

I've been hearing the console memory thing for years but I have never once seen an actual source for it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Divinity 2: Ego Draconis has a very...European sense of humour. It's almost Python-esque.

"What in the blazes did you do with the pigs?!"
"They've moved on. Sometimes you have to let go of the things you love."

:allears:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Divinity 2: Ego Draconis has a very...European sense of humour. It's almost Python-esque.

"What in the blazes did you do with the pigs?!"
"They've moved on. Sometimes you have to let go of the things you love."

:allears:

Except for some point and clicks, Divinity 2 has some of the best humor I've ever seen in any game, I love the writing in it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I've been hearing the console memory thing for years but I have never once seen an actual source for it.

On the X-Box 360 the game is divided onto two discs which directly map to the point certain content becomes unavailable. It's pretty cut-and-dried. The 360's size limitations means they had to divide the content up.