Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cozz posted:

Didn't Masked Rider also spin-off from Power Rangers Zeo?

To segue this back into DB territory, has anyone actually watched Dragonball: The Magic Within or whatever the Japanese live action film in the late 80's early 90's was? And is it as bad as it looked?

The Magic Within was Chinese. :eng101: The much more faithful(then The Magic Within or Evolution both) Fight Son Goku, Win Son Goku was Korean.

The Magic Within is barely recognizable and is basically a Shaw Brothers movie as a fantasy, but has a sequence where the Ooulong/Piggie character mows people down with a machine gun, so it's alright. The other one is pretty neat and has Purr played by a plushie.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Cozz posted:

Didn't Masked Rider also spin-off from Power Rangers Zeo?

To segue this back into DB territory, has anyone actually watched Dragonball: The Magic Within or whatever the Japanese live action film in the late 80's early 90's was? And is it as bad as it looked?

I loving love Dragonball the Magic Begins. Goku is "Monkeyboy", Yamcha is "Westwood", Puar is a parrot and annoying as poo poo. Roshi wears an Alphabet shirt and does a dance. You should watch it.

http://www.somethingawful.com/movie-reviews/dragon-ball-magic/1/

Squallege fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 11, 2014

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Magic Within is great just for the sheer weirdness of it. Make sure you get the second version that was edited to have more in common with the manga but somehow manages to actually make it even weirder. Like (briefly) turning the Turtle Hermit into an actual turtle.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

I think people tend to forget that gap between between DB and DBZ where he was an always present husband and father. And his training fell behind because he wasn't too into it.

I think it's pretty simple. By the end of Z, Goku and the gang bring out the humanity in Vegeta, while over the years being around Vegeta brought out the saiyajin instincts in Goku. It's almost like a double turn in wrestling.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

People tend to forget the gap between DB and DBZ because it's not shown and thus shouldn't be counted compared to what is shown. Basic storytelling that.

But, this is the series that said "you're an alien and I'm just telling you this now because you hit your head and forgot."

I think I've mentioned this before but Toriyama must have had some sort of Saint status to get away with this. Given how legitimately good Part 1 of Dragon Ball was, I can kinda buy this. But I still think if any other author in existence tried something so stupid it would expend any good will the fandom had for them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

NikkolasKing posted:

But, this is the series that said "you're an alien and I'm just telling you this now because you hit your head and forgot."

Goku always had a mysterious past and ambiguous species, so it wasn't that out of nowhere.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Goku always had a mysterious past and ambiguous species, so it wasn't that out of nowhere.

To be fair, though, in a series with as much magic and as few (apparent) spacemen as DB, for Toriyama to go with "Aliens" rather than "Spirits/Fey Creatures/Chi" to start explaining poo poo was quite a shift.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't the fact that Piccolo was actually an alien (not sure about Goku) one of the very few things Toriyama actually did plan in advance, or did I imagine that?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think Piccolo was indeed intended to be a straight-up demon. It was when he introduced Kamisama that Akira decided to make them aliens.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Spiritus Nox posted:

To be fair, though, in a series with as much magic and as few (apparent) spacemen as DB, for Toriyama to go with "Aliens" rather than "Spirits/Fey Creatures/Chi" to start explaining poo poo was quite a shift.

Sgt. Metallic does identify Goku as "an alien creature" or whatever, so it may have been planned a bit ahead.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Oh god wrong thread! Thank goodness someone preserved my idiocy below.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 13, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

VanSandman posted:

i hope bolin dies this season that'd be sweet
mako can be stricken with grief and wander the earth or whatever i dont care

Bolin is the Yamcha of Avatar and deserves a shameful death

MastG
May 25, 2014
Speaking of Yamcha, it still amazes me that he was so absolutely worthless through both DB and DBZ. I don't think he defeated a single opponent except for a handicapped child Goku and the invisible guy.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

MastG posted:

Speaking of Yamcha, it still amazes me that he was so absolutely worthless through both DB and DBZ. I don't think he defeated a single opponent except for a handicapped child Goku and the invisible guy.

He couldn't even win a round in a tournament with a shitload of normal humans. I mean, Krillin got through to the next round and Tien got to at least have a decent showing against Trunks.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Spiritus Nox posted:

There was only one person who figured it out.
Well, one machine, but he knew before even Toriyama knew! :pseudo:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StrifeHira posted:

Hah! I like the very scientific "Look! Aliens!" in the top left.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like to imagine it is a old school video game text prompt.

>LOOK ALIENS.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

>GET YE DRAGONBALL

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

Sgt. Metallic does identify Goku as "an alien creature" or whatever, so it may have been planned a bit ahead.

Your referring to him as Sgt. Metallic makes me curious - do you guys watch the dub and use "dub names" or the original?

I usually use the dub names but sometimes I try to mix it up to appease the purists out there.

"Serious" DBZ fans are a very....devoted lot. There's a whole segment of them that don't even use the right name but they treat it like it's authentic anyway. "Cell" = "Seru", "Vegeta" = "Bajita", "Broly" = "Burori" etc.. I have no idea why they do this since it completely defeats the naming scheme.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 13, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The weird part is Saiyajin. It's longer than the translated name, and it literally means "Saiya people". Do these guys call Americans America people?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I literally scoff when I see Mr. Satan instead of hercule

though one good thing about the names in dbz, you can spot a weeb from a mile away thanks to poo poo like son goku and mirai trunks

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

though one good thing about the names in dbz, you can spot a weeb from a mile away thanks to poo poo like son goku and mirai trunks

The Viz translations are probably where most of the dumb names come from, since they use all the Japanese names like Son Goku, Kame Senin and Kuruin. Which is weird, because they're otherwise fantastic translations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Viz translations use the actual names for the most part, which is weird given you'd think they tone down on that stuff given how many kids actually did buy the book and saw a lot of names were different than what they knew. Kuririn was especially jarring for me, because I'm like eight years old and don't know how to pronounce any of this stuff and think it's dumb. Also not translating Kame Sennin is fuckin stupid when the anime did it, like come on guys, no American kid knows what that is.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

facebook jihad posted:

StrifeHira posted:

That's actually an incredible coincidence, the text is just ripped from an Aliens movie:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

They only call him Hercule in TV edits. He's referred to as Mr. Satan in all of Funimation's home releases, it's not like it's a Japanese exclusive thing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Dragon Ball was the most widely available fansub available in the early 90s. A ton of Internet people ran across it back then before it aired here, just because it was extremely popular to the point where a lot of people ran across it over the years without searching it out very hard. I ran across it in elementary school, for instance, and that was the late 80s.

In the mid 90s, when fansites and such first started cropping up, everyone basically used the Romanji translations of everything. I mean, you -hear- the characters saying Saiyajin, Tenshinhan, Kuririn, etc. so that's what you wrote, because there was no "official" version. If you were calling a character Tenshinhan for 15 years, switching to "Tien" isn't necessarily going to be a normal thing.

It's different for the generation that grew up on the dubs, then it's more of a "purist/elitist" thing.

Also:

edit: The names don't really have official ways of saying them for the most part. It's just whatever is familiar to you, which depends on how you were exposed.

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 13, 2014

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I grew up on Japanese Dragon Ball and Z, so it never crossed my mind that it would be unusual to call them Son Goku or Mr. Satan. I never thought any of those spellings were particularly weird or had any strong preference for any particular spelling either. Maybe I'm not the elitist one?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I think each case is different, names like Mr.Satan or Tenshinhan are the official ones and many people who read/watched foreign/fan translations before the american dub are going to be used to them. Saying "Mirai Trunks" however, is stupid in any context, it's not his name nor is he refered as such in the series, it's just saying "Future Trunks" using the japanese word for "future" because it "sounds cool".

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Uh excuse me, his name is Mirai Torankusu. :japan:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Petiso posted:

I think each case is different, names like Mr.Satan or Tenshinhan are the official ones and many people who read/watched foreign/fan translations before the american dub are going to be used to them. Saying "Mirai Trunks" however, is stupid in any context, it's not his name nor is he refered as such in the series, it's just saying "Future Trunks" using the japanese word for "future" because it "sounds cool".

It's especially dumb when you can call him "Trunks" and the kid one "Kid Trunks."

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I didn't watch any fansubs but was around to follow the fansites that used the Japanese translations Darko talked about. I think it's out of habit. I mostly remember Kururin and Buruma mostly, though Murai Trunks has come up recently since they call him that in DBM. I used to call them that because that's what I read, but I kind of grew out of it as the websites started becoming less relevant. Mr. Satan is still his name though.

Looking back on it, it never failed to impress me that CN/Funimation shat out the entire Android/Cell Saga in one go. That was 77 straight new episodes on a daily basis. Not sure if a "season" of a TV show has ever reached that length. Granted it was just a dub, but it was still pretty intense.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
When I was a kid, I read a lot of fanfiction and it really confused me how they called the androids "Jinzōningen". Oddly, I call Super Saiyan "Super Saiyan", but it's become a habit to refer to it abbreviated as SSJ.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

WickedHate posted:

When I was a kid, I read a lot of fanfiction and it really confused me how they called the androids "Jinzōningen". Oddly, I call Super Saiyan "Super Saiyan", but it's become a habit to refer to it abbreviated as SSJ.

Likely because "SS" could mean other stuff but it's very hard to misinterpret "SSJ"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
At this point I've spent a lot more time reading the manga and discussing Dragonball online and off than I ever did watching the show. Hell, I only watched, what, 1 hour 40 mins of DBZ a week when it was being broadcast when I was in school and I definitely spent more time talking about DBZ and reading Planet Namek even back then, so I've definitely got a few habits like using Tienshinhan, Freeza and Saiyajin.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

WickedHate posted:

Androids is a really bad translation and causes a lot of confusion since they aren't androids. Well, 16 is, and so is 8. But the rest aren't.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

As long as no one uses the stupid tumblr ship ! notation I'm fine with whatever they're called.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Darko posted:

Androids is a really bad translation and causes a lot of confusion since they aren't androids. Well, 16 is, and so is 8. But the rest aren't.

And 19!

Executing murder.exe.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
For the most part, I go with the American spellings of all the characters, but I still think "Son Goku" and "Mr. Satan." I don't think you even have to be a weaboo to appreciate that "Son Goku" can feel more right to some people because it's more similar to Sun Wukong. "Tien" is just weird to me because they only ever called him Tenshinhan or Ten in the subbed versions, so I could never get used to them adding an i in there for some reason.

MastG
May 25, 2014

WhiffleballDude posted:

Likely because "SS" could mean other stuff but it's very hard to misinterpret "SSJ"

Super Social Justice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
I always compromise: The World Champ's name is Mr. Mark "Hercule" Satan. "Hercule" is his stage name.

That way all of them are correct. :colbert:

• Locked thread