Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

RTD never had any intention of ever erasing the Eight Doctor from history.

RTD is a good man, and thorough :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I don't remember specifics but there is a scene in RTD's Queer as Folk where they discuss the canoninity of McGann.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Also, McGann more than any other influenced how Doctor Who came back. It was romantic and loud and brash. Of course McGann counted. I don't remember ever doubting it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BSam posted:

I don't remember specifics but there is a scene in RTD's Queer as Folk where they discuss the canoninity of McGann.

He doesn't count.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Rumors abound that the workprint for S8E1 has leaked, so be on HIGHER GUARD THAN USUAL if you don't want to be spoiled. We are entering GIFSET TERRITORY here!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Davros1 posted:

RTD never had any intention of ever erasing the Eight Doctor from history.

I can see why people might have thought (or declared via the power of wishful thinking) otherwise, because early on RTD treated the Doctor's history in general with a relatively light touch. And rightly so. Throwing in the odd familiar name or iconic monster was exactly the amount of attention the old series needed in the early days of the revival. Nothing would have sunk it faster than turning a new generation's first experience of Doctor Who into a forty-year-old continuity-laden mess.

I can take or leave the TV movie (I think its biggest flaw is exactly what I said above; it was too enmired in stuff a new audience would have no reason to know or care about), but I'm super-glad that McGann is part of the official canon (to the extent that there needs to be an official canon, which there doesn't), and I'm super-glad that he's choosing to stay involved with the series via the audios. Of all the people who've played the Doctor, with the possible exception of Christopher Eccleston (edit: well, and John Hurt, obviously), McGann is the one whose career would most completely justify him turning his back on the whole thing to focus on other work if he were so inclined. Which isn't to say that the others haven't had success as well, but they're all, on some level, always going to be "that guy who used to be Doctor Who", and McGann could easily have distanced himself from the whole thing if he so chose.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 12, 2014

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
I'd wager that McCoy's presence in the TV movie is the main reason McGann's considered canon at all, more so than any other element in that episode. If our introduction to McGann had begun in media res, with the 8th Doctor already several years/decades/centuries into his incarnation, there would have been more justifiable reasons to just waive away his incarnation as either some Cushing-esque "alternate" Doctor or some vague "future" incarnation. Thankfully, Virgin & BBC Books pretty much cemented that canonicity by taking the events of the TV movie as gospel, and Big Finish after them. From that point on it would have been rather foolish for anyone to suggest McGann's Doctor wasn't canon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ha, I could meet Andrew Cartmel tomorrow at the London Comiccon. (Also McGann, C.Bakes, Cribbens, etc)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The_Doctor posted:

Ha, I could meet Andrew Cartmel tomorrow at the London Comiccon. (Also McGann, C.Bakes, Cribbens, etc)

Yeah, if you can get in! The lines look outrageous!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

McGann posted:

For anyone not paying attention to the 'news' section of Doctor Who Legacy, they released the 5th Doctor code today

And I have to say, had no idea Davison had such a huge package.
You forgot to mention you can still get Pertwee plus a costume. Or the catch-up watchmacallit for the Facebook version (with all of the Doctors).

That being said, you helped me discover the game. Allow me to thank/curse you for hoovering up several hours.

Sonance posted:

I'd wager that McCoy's presence in the TV movie is the main reason McGann's considered canon at all, more so than any other element in that episode. If our introduction to McGann had begun in media res, with the 8th Doctor already several years/decades/centuries into his incarnation, there would have been more justifiable reasons to just waive away his incarnation as either some Cushing-esque "alternate" Doctor or some vague "future" incarnation. Thankfully, Virgin & BBC Books pretty much cemented that canonicity by taking the events of the TV movie as gospel, and Big Finish after them. From that point on it would have been rather foolish for anyone to suggest McGann's Doctor wasn't canon.
Yeah, compare how the movie was treated to Scream of the Shalka.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 12, 2014

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

The_Doctor posted:

Plus if you want to pay 50 for a picture

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know if there was an overwhelming consensus one way or the other when it aired, but I remember watching it and thinking that for all the stuff it got wrong, the casting of McGann was spot on and I really wanted to see more of him as the Doctor. Which we ended up getting, happily!

McGann (and Sly, to a lesser degree) sell the gently caress out of that movie. Between that and thinking Doctor Who was coming back from the dead (literally :haw:), I was excited enough to ignore most of its flaws the first time I saw it.

In hindsight, it's not smashing, but it's better than people give it credit for. There are still some pretty bad parts and some dumb continuity gaffes, but anybody who thinks that's the first time that's happened in Doctor Who's history has some serious rose-colored glasses on about the old serials.

Finally, in closing, I'd like to take a moment to say WHERE THE gently caress ARE THE NEW EPISODES WHERE ARE THEY ALSO WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE DOCTOR.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Movie gave us Will Sasso dancing around in a Nixon mask. It's much better than people remember.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Movie gave us Will Sasso dancing around in a Nixon mask. It's much better than people remember.

Speaking of, how horrifying is the fact that River let Nixon into the TARDIS?

Can you imagine if he was aware of it's full capabilities?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Chokes McGee posted:

ALSO WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE DOCTOR.

Since they're all splendid chaps, I don't really want to play favorites. But I vote McGann on principle, because he deserves more people saying that than he gets.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Finally got my seven year old to sit still for long enough to watch an episode of Who last night. Went with The Eleventh Hour and he loved it - I think we may wind up burning through the full Smith run before Capaldi's starts next month (we watched The Beast Below this morning). That's three generations of my family that watch this now.

Man, how bummed is he going to be when he finds out about regeneration?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

Finally, in closing, I'd like to take a moment to say WHERE THE gently caress ARE THE NEW EPISODES WHERE ARE THEY ALSO WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE DOCTOR.

If you don't mind unfinished special effects the workprint of the first episode has leaked.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

marktheando posted:

If you don't mind unfinished special effects the workprint of the first episode has leaked.

And despite everyone saying that you can't judge an episode by a script it turns out that's exactly what you can do.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Oh yes, the spoiler thread is unanimous, wait, no it isn't. But keep it there til the episode airs, alright?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was all set to really dislike the movie - got a couple friends together to have a viewing party. Needless to say it was enjoyable, but not for the reason we intended. The only "funny" moments were just moments of "what the gently caress" with regard to the plot - All three of us really liked McGann's Doctor. Hell, I even liked the "plot", it just had a lot of shaky bits tying it together.

Nothing can redeem Eric Robert's pedo-Master (why was he so weirdly sexual towards his 'companion', anyway?)

edit: And now I'm off to the wiki to try to figure out the "in-universe" rationalization for why the Daleks would call The Doctor to help carry out The Master's last wish (or whatever) - and why they'd even want to carry out a last wish..or why they had The Master anyway...

edit x2: Ok, that is dumb as hell. A Dalek-Time Lord treaty? wtf?

McGann fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 13, 2014

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

whatsabattle posted:

It's always been in the New Presidents Information Pack, going back to 1789. Ben Franklin wandered in after Washington left the door open, demanding to go a tour of "the Great Prostitutes of History." This is why the Doctor mistakenly calls him a US President later on - James Buchanan would make a similar request.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

whatsabattle posted:

I like to imagine that we had an unseen series of adventures where Churchill, Hitler, and Nixon were all companions at the same time. It's the only thing that kept me sane for most of season 6.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I saw the Matt Smith episode of the Sarah Jane Adventures. It was good. My favorite moment is when Jo says that she hopes she hasn't gotten him in trouble with the Time Lords and Matt Smith encompasses his entire reaction in a facial expression that lasts for less than a second.

I was actually surprised by Katy Manning, too. I'd sort of figured that she was incapable of talking any way except the way she does on Big Finish (with a whole lot of gravel that sounds like it lines the road for the cigarette truck). She sounded very different on TV.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Full Season 8 trailer

Come on August, hurry up!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Dinosaurs! In LONDON!

(come on August!)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They're going full Pertwee.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Now he's 2000 years old?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Capaldi is the first new actor that without seeing anything substantial, already feels like the Doctor to me. Like I look at him and my mind says "that's the Doctor" without any question.

Davros1 posted:

Now he's 2000 years old?

Over 1000 years passed in the town called Christmas.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

I saw the Matt Smith episode of the Sarah Jane Adventures. It was good. My favorite moment is when Jo says that she hopes she hasn't gotten him in trouble with the Time Lords and Matt Smith encompasses his entire reaction in a facial expression that lasts for less than a second.

It might have been nice if Davies could have written a Smith episode. I think he did a pretty good job with him in "Death of the Doctor".

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TivqZTq5u6Y&t=27s

That's a turian! Mass Effect crossover? The Doctor vs Commander Shepard?

The universe better hide for that one....

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

It might have been nice if Davies could have written a Smith episode. I think he did a pretty good job with him in "Death of the Doctor".

We're never going to have Capaldi on "The Sarah Jane Adventures."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

We're never going to have Capaldi on "The Sarah Jane Adventures."

You're a jerk.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Over 1000 years passed in the town called Christmas.

If I recall correctly, the 11th Doctor was already roughly 13-1400 years old by the time they got to that episode, there were significant jumps of time between seasons (and half seasons!).

I'm quite happy they finally got themselves firmly out of the 900s, though I still feel that as he noted in Day of the Doctor, he may be lying about his age anyway (he was older than 900 in the 7th Doctor's time!) or just have forgotten how old he actually is.

Anyways, I agree that Capaldi has just instantly become "The Doctor" for me without any hesitation or trepidation. Something just seems right about having him in the part.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kind of expected it, but I'm pretty sad the line isn't actually "Clara be my friend. Am I a good man?"

With just Clara Tell Me, it's way less sinister and carries far less weight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Anyways, I agree that Capaldi has just instantly become "The Doctor" for me without any hesitation or trepidation. Something just seems right about having him in the part.

It's kind of magical isn't it? With Ecclestone, Tennant and it took a good chunk of the episode before it really clicked for me. With Smith I think it was 11 minutes in (do everything I say, don't ask stupid questions...) and he was the Doctor. I'm rewatching Night of the Doctor right now and I get a great big smile when I realize that McGann is automatically the Doctor again and I've barely listened to any audio adventures.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I still don't think that Dalek voice is supposed to be anything we've heard before. It sounds separate from Davros, Dalek Caan, and the Time Controller/Prime Minister. I guess they could just have a different voice for Davros, but it sounds pretty far off from any previous version of the character.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rochallor posted:

I still don't think that Dalek voice is supposed to be anything we've heard before. It sounds separate from Davros, Dalek Caan, and the Time Controller/Prime Minister. I guess they could just have a different voice for Davros, but it sounds pretty far off from any previous version of the character.

It's definitely Briggsie.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

Burkion posted:

I like to imagine that we had an unseen series of adventures where Churchill, Hitler, and Nixon were all companions at the same time. It's the only thing that kept me sane for most of season 6.

"Ohhh, I keep telling Adolf not to wander off!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

It's definitely Briggsie.

Yeah, but the thing is that it has a strange (almost philosophical) way of talking. It seems like it is something new and weird and different and I'm looking forward to seeing what that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Baggins posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TivqZTq5u6Y&t=27s

That's a turian! Mass Effect crossover? The Doctor vs Commander Shepard?

The universe better hide for that one....

The Doctor meets Renegade FemShep.

Book it.

(now if you don't mind, I have a Geth/Daleks x-over to write)

• Locked thread