Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

Alberto Basalm posted:

Yeah 2% of people dying worldwide would all its own be one of the biggest events in history, but the fact that they disappeared without explanation is what makes it the most significant event in all of history. Or it would be if it really happened.

Yeah, that event would be enough to completely destroy people's faith on a very large scale. It's major.

Also, I liked this episode, despite a lot of the plot twists being telegraphed like crazy. Everyone in the episode was solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
It's not about the number of people who are gone. 9/11 was a hosed up thing, but it was terrorism. We understood terrorism. It wasn't the first time it's happened. It wasn't even the first time it happened to those buildings. The average human being however, can not process people just disappearing into thin air. It would break your loving mind if it happened. I actually think society is holding up pretty well in The Leftovers compared to how we'd react if it happened for real. I think it would play out more like Children Of Men or something.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It's getting there what with people stockpiling weapons and hunting those weird, mute "crazies."

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I thought the first two episodes were awesome and tonight kept it going.

I hope Lindelof sticks to his guns and they never say what happened to the people that left. Way more likely than not it will be a letdown.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Why are so many people who post itt so stupid?

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
There's no way that lady stayed and took care of his wife for three days straight.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Kevyn posted:

It's not about the number of people who are gone. 9/11 was a hosed up thing, but it was terrorism. We understood terrorism. It wasn't the first time it's happened. It wasn't even the first time it happened to those buildings. The average human being however, can not process people just disappearing into thin air. It would break your loving mind if it happened. I actually think society is holding up pretty well in The Leftovers compared to how we'd react if it happened for real. I think it would play out more like Children Of Men or something.

I guess it being more than 10 years since 9/11 clouds my vision because I do forget that his show is only 3 years after the event took place.

I do agree that society is holding up well, it just sometimes feels unreal, but then again, I'm not in their shoes.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
I hope this show gives us some sort of closure at the end of the season because I'll be shocked with its diminishing ratings + now it's going up against Masters of Sex and seems to be losing fans instead of gaining them. This will be this decade's John From Cincinnati

This was the episode that made me go from "this show has promise" to "this is a good loving show." I don't understand why everyone's main complaint is that it doesn't have enough answers, and I wonder if the same complaints would be shouted out if Lindelof wasn't doing it.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Slackerish posted:

I hope this show gives us some sort of closure at the end of the season because I'll be shocked with its diminishing ratings + now it's going up against Masters of Sex and seems to be losing fans instead of gaining them. This will be this decade's John From Cincinnati

This was the episode that made me go from "this show has promise" to "this is a good loving show." I don't understand why everyone's main complaint is that it doesn't have enough answers, and I wonder if the same complaints would be shouted out if Lindelof wasn't doing it.

Flash forward 10 years where everyone has pretty much moved on and have tv shows cracking jokes of the event.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Slackerish posted:

LOST. That is the biggest reason this thread is bad.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
I just dont understand the mindset behind people who find it boring and bad yet continue to watch and post about it. Are your lives that lovely?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I'm surprised an anvil didn't fall on the priest's head at the end.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Yaoi Mandel posted:

I just dont understand the mindset behind people who find it boring and bad yet continue to watch and post about it. Are your lives that lovely?

Hatewatching is a popular activity around these parts. I'd be lying if I said I didn't do it myself sometimes. But there are much more deserving shows than this one, which just produced a great hour of television.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Yaoi Mandel posted:

People love to hate Lindelof and will go through extensive and painful research to gather as much evidence against him as possible

E: And if that keeps ratings high enough to get us a second season, let em

Slackerish fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 14, 2014

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Honestly this show isn't high art or perfect, but in a world where True Blood gets 7 seasons the hate this show gets is loving stupid.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Cotato posted:

This was my favorite episode so far and I've really enjoyed this series so far. I wasnt sure I'd like a single character focused episode on a character we barely knew but wow that was great.
Yeah, I wasn't expecting this show to deliver a modern take on Job that was actually entertaining. I'm pretty much hooked now.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

SgtSteel91 posted:

Flash forward 10 years where everyone has pretty much moved on and have tv shows cracking jokes of the event.

Ask the countries invaded how the whole moving on thing is working out for them. Also, the government wiretaps everyone on the planet.
Archduke Franz Ferdinand was just one guy but his death spun out two wars, both consuming the entire planet.

Its not the events that shape the world, its the reactions to them.

I don't understand how there's people who can form complete sentences and string together a phrase like, "so what if 2% of the people on earth up and vanished, its not THAT big of a deal guys".

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

hcreight posted:

Hatewatching is a popular activity around these parts. I'd be lying if I said I didn't do it myself sometimes. But there are much more deserving shows than this one, which just produced a great hour of television.

I hatewatch too (True Blood if only so I can see it die at last), it's alright.

This was a good episode, certainly better than the first two in my opinion. Only reason I'm not calling it great is, like I said earlier, I just don't know what happened throughout that last 20 minutes. Need to rewatch it again. It's like Lost in a couple ways, and like Lost, I'm willing to give this at least a full season's chance and hope others do.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Man, screw all y'all hating on this episode. I found the first episode pretty dull and the second to be middling but this episode was pretty drat engrossing and if the show is interlacing character vignettes of this magnitude then I'm all for more of it.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Holy god drat gently caress poo poo that season trailer.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
What was so confusing about the last 20 minutes? He got hit in the head, had a dream that showed that he was with Nora when their parents died in a fire, implied that he had an affair with Kevin's wife, woke up three days later because he was comatose and saw his church being taken over by the GR.

Do you really need everything spelled out for you detail by detail? That's kind of sad.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Slackerish posted:

What was so confusing about the last 20 minutes? He got hit in the head, had a dream that showed that he was with Nora when their parents died in a fire, implied that he had an affair with Kevin's wife, woke up three days later because he was comatose and saw his church being taken over by the GR.

Do you really need everything spelled out for you detail by detail? That's kind of sad.
Because someone will promptly tell you Damon (rather Demon) Lindelof is the literal antichrist of television and he should go jump off a roof and die or something because the black smoke monster touched them in their private parts during the time Lost was on the air.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
That was pretty cool, to see a character go from crazy guy screaming nonsense in the background to a central character with deep motives and emotions. I'm interested to see where this goes if this keeps up, this episode was great. A lot of things are coming together and a lot of things are just flipping either way. I also hope the "event" is never really explained and only examined on the personal level. I like that nobody would be sure what happened and they just have to deal with it, it's nice to see that carried over into stories.

I'm also wondering what happened to his wife, cause three straight days of unpaid overtime is a lot to ask of anyone. The white smoking note writing cult isn't grabbing me yet however, they better do something other then have old ladies stare at people.

Just to be clear, is the "I hug you" guy cult different from the white smokers?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nopants posted:

Because people can vanish into loving air. God or something else equally hosed up does exist. You lose your bagel? Maybe God took it.

I feel like people are being willfully dense when they don't get this.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

AxeManiac posted:

No, he's some other charlatan with his crazy underaged asian girl fetish. Maybe he was a redditor back in the day.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I cannot take the White Cult seriously anymore. At this point they are so needlessly antagonistic towards everyone that their inevitable death by mob is almost certain.

GrazoTheClown
Jun 23, 2006
One Man. One Way.
Great episode compared to the last two.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Weird episode but i liked it. Now there's two interesting characters at least in my mind (sheriff and priest).

Thread is still loving retarded as hell though. 9/11 gets brought up every episode. Seriously how are some of you so obtuse that you cant realize how 2% of the population VANISHING WITHOUT EXPLANATION is about as different as possible be compared to a terrorist attack that killed a tiny fraction of that number with ample explanations to go around.

tatopom
Apr 9, 2009
I would watch an entire season of Father Who break bad on the cult's asses, with a supporting cast of the dog shooting guy and stupid teenagers.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

pentyne posted:

I cannot take the White Cult seriously anymore. At this point they are so needlessly antagonistic towards everyone that their inevitable death by mob is almost certain.

I think that is kind of their point. That the rest of the world is blind to some ultimate truth that they've discovered so they have to basically force their presence. It is pretty blatantly in the towns face but that's not unheard of in reality either (i.e. Westboro Baptist Church). What kind of got me thinking was how the guy at the bank mentioned that whoever was purchasing the church was some "corporate LLC". Made me wonder if there's going to turn out to be some bigger force at work with the Guilty Remnants. Do cults incorporate?

So we've seen the two main cults, the Guilty Remnants and the followers of the Hugger. But what was that shot in the pilot and the trailer with two people in rocking chairs cloaked in black on a porch? I hope some other cults from other areas are mentioned (I'm sure they're out there), even if they don't really go into detail.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

lifts cats over head posted:

followers of the Hugger.

Wayne-enites

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

ApexAftermath posted:

Holy god drat gently caress poo poo that season trailer.

Yeah. I was already on board but that just sealed it.

I don't really get a lot of the hate even if it is to do with Lost because wasn't Lost insanely popular on here?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

CODChimera posted:

Yeah. I was already on board but that just sealed it.

I don't really get a lot of the hate even if it is to do with Lost because wasn't Lost insanely popular on here?
Lost was a great show with a horrible ending, and I think the concensus is that the ending proved that Lindelof et. al. never did have answers to the various mysteries they'd set up and were just aimlessly wandering through seasons. Even if that's true, I think the turnaround from insanely popular to scorned is pretty harsh. If nothing else, it was consistently entertaining, which is more than can be said for most TV shows.

tatopom
Apr 9, 2009
I just noticed in the preview the daughter holding a flaming Nerf bow and arrow. I hope its them wrecking poo poo rather than angsty teens playing chicken again

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

AxeManiac posted:

That was pretty cool, to see a character go from crazy guy screaming nonsense in the background to a central character with deep motives and emotions. I'm interested to see where this goes if this keeps up, this episode was great. A lot of things are coming together and a lot of things are just flipping either way. I also hope the "event" is never really explained and only examined on the personal level. I like that nobody would be sure what happened and they just have to deal with it, it's nice to see that carried over into stories.

I'm also wondering what happened to his wife, cause three straight days of unpaid overtime is a lot to ask of anyone. The white smoking note writing cult isn't grabbing me yet however, they better do something other then have old ladies stare at people.

Yeah, the "Hugs" guy's cult is out west but the smokers are in NY where most of the characters we see live. At least that's how I understand it from the AV Club's coverage.

Considering the insanity of what the preview showed, I wonder if they'll switch back-and-forth between character-centric and present tense episodes. I think it works well to give us an overview of where people are first and then take us into the back stories of some of the characters. I like how they blended the present and past tense through the dream sequences.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

tadashi posted:

Yeah, the "Hugs" guy's cult is out west but the smokers are in NY where most of the characters we see live. At least that's how I understand it from the AV Club's coverage.

Considering the insanity of what the preview showed, I wonder if they'll switch back-and-forth between character-centric and present tense episodes. I think it works well to give us an overview of where people are first and then take us into the back stories of some of the characters. I like how they blended the present and past tense through the dream sequences.

It was also nice to see it was integrated into the opening scene. It makes the car crash more than just a spectacle.

Makes me wonder if we'll see any more characterization of the boy screaming for his dad or the mother.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
A few things I didn't get/missed about the last episode:

1) How did that random painting make the priest suddenly realize both that there was a peanut butter jar full of money buried in someone's yard, and he should gamble it all? He said something like,
"Your father in law (the cop's crazy dad) left something for me to have?" to the cult woman. What's the connection between the Crazy Cop Dad and the priest?

2) How did the cop's ex-wife know the priest would be there at that exact time? I know he's had cultists watching him, but she wasn't one of them, being assigned to Liv Tyler and all, so how did she know to go there? Even if other people were watching him, they couldn't exactly call someone else to get there ahead of time, since they both don't speak, and couldn't have known where he was headed.

3) What did the ex-wife write down on the paper? I tried to pause it, but the HBO Go thing popped over part of it so I couldn't read it.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?

DrBouvenstein posted:

1) How did that random painting make the priest suddenly realize both that there was a peanut butter jar full of money buried in someone's yard, and he should gamble it all? He said something like,
"Your father in law (the cop's crazy dad) left something for me to have?" to the cult woman. What's the connection between the Crazy Cop Dad and the priest?

2) How did the cop's ex-wife know the priest would be there at that exact time? I know he's had cultists watching him, but she wasn't one of them, being assigned to Liv Tyler and all, so how did she know to go there? Even if other people were watching him, they couldn't exactly call someone else to get there ahead of time, since they both don't speak, and couldn't have known where he was headed.

3) What did the ex-wife write down on the paper? I tried to pause it, but the HBO Go thing popped over part of it so I couldn't read it.

I'm not totally sure about the first one, but I'm pretty sure the ex-wife was there on her own, unrelated to the priest coming. I got the sense that she sometimes sneaks out from the GR to be at her family's house because she feels guilty for abandoning them, or misses home, or both. Also, I believe she wrote down "Don't tell anyone I was here," and the priest says he won't tell anyone if she won't.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DrBouvenstein posted:

The Priest exposed the judge who took bribes. The CrazyCopDad was Chief of Police. He approved of the Priest's work and felt bad that he got screwed in the NotRapture.

DrBouvenstein posted:

She didn't.

DrBouvenstein posted:

"Please don't tell him you saw me here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm not exactly sure about #1 but she was hanging out in the yard because it's right next to the cop/her husband's house. She wasn't there following the priest, it was just a coincidence. She wrote on the paper "Don't tell him I'm here" so I took it to mean her isolation might be cracking a bit.

• Locked thread