Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I'll be up at Lime Rock Park at the end of July for some more HPDE/TT/Races with IMG Racing. Two day event from July 25th-26th at one of my favorite tracks.

http://msreg.com/RoundTwo2014

Come check out the EVSR Electric Racecar. The two of them will be there running in the races and if you race, you can get the chance to duke it out wheel to wheel and see how your car compares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b6dNweJha4 <- racing with some SCCA Spec Racer Fords at LRP.

100% fewer totaled race cars compared to NASA and just as fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can anyone recommend me a new helmet?
I'd like something open face that looks really nice.
Those Ruby things are amazing but probably a bit pricey.

:love:

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 11, 2014

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Well, dudes. I am back from the event at Pocono. It ruled big.

my 445whp STi

Car ran great all day with no issues. And nobody in my group passed me at all, all day, until https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBRIvpXgrgY

Oops.

Overall awesome time. I would do this again in a heartbeat, and if you are on the fence about doing it and reading this, just go do it already. I should have started doing this a long time ago.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Roman Rambo posted:

Overall awesome time. I would do this again in a heartbeat, and if you are on the fence about doing it and reading this, just go do it already. I should have started doing this a long time ago.

Beware, it's a addiction. It starts with a track day. Then a few car mods. Soon you are looking at racing schools. A little speed is never enough.

Edit: confession: This year, I said I'd do 3 race weekends. I've done 5 and have signed up for at least one more.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Aurune posted:

Beware, it's a addiction. It starts with a track day. Then a few car mods. Soon you are looking at racing schools. A little speed is never enough.

Edit: confession: This year, I said I'd do 3 race weekends. I've done 5 and have signed up for at least one more.

This is very true. I started young with teen car control clinics, then stepped up to HPDE and now I'm doing Chump Car and WRL. Five races this year and now I'm looking at doing a racing or rally school.

I also do motorcycle track days because I hate money.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I have really been wanting to do an HPDE for a while but I guess my main concern is I would be using my daily driver to do it. It's definitely a car that can handle the track (09 CTS-V) but I was wondering what special considerations I need to take considering I've got to be able to get home and to work the next day after the event.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I have really been wanting to do an HPDE for a while but I guess my main concern is I would be using my daily driver to do it. It's definitely a car that can handle the track (09 CTS-V) but I was wondering what special considerations I need to take considering I've got to be able to get home and to work the next day after the event.

Brake pads. Seriously.

You probably have nice wheels you care about, but doing a full brake job (new rotors, pads, and fluid; inspect lines for cracking) is pretty much the only thing you need. Summer tires would be nice, but not necessary.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Bape Culture posted:

Can anyone recommend me a new helmet?
I'd like something open face that looks really nice.
Those Ruby things are amazing but probably a bit pricey.

:love:

Open-faced helmets are stupid. Buy a closed-faced one that fits, then get it painted. You'll look a lot better.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I dunno what the hell that stupid thing is he posted, looks like some horrible moped helmet or something.

Speaking of helmets, would this one be any good?
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/helmets/omp-grand-prix-7s-helmet

I was either looking at that or a bell sport, but I realy need to find a place to try one on.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
There is a discount store near me that has a couple of helmets that are open box returns. How can I tell what standard they meet? They both have boxes with them.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Rubiks Pubes posted:

There is a discount store near me that has a couple of helmets that are open box returns. How can I tell what standard they meet? They both have boxes with them.

They should have a sticker inside the helmet somewhere. You may have to peel back padding.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Man, 2 kids getting duped by a fyad nerd.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Phone posted:

Man, 2 kids getting duped by a fyad nerd.

Me?!
I want a decent open face coz last time I wore a full face I got too hot around the nurburgring and vomited all over the place.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

Me?!
I want a decent open face coz last time I wore a full face I got too hot around the nurburgring and vomited all over the place.

And the problem waaaaas? :clint:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Set a new PB this weekend at VIR. Got held up a little bit at the end as well. Turned a 2:25.99. Looks like unobstructed laps in the class I'm going to run are in the 2:18 range though. I have a lot of work to do. I need to loosen the car up some more as well as get 30 more whp. I dont think those things will add more than a few seconds though.

http://youtu.be/hfCPXTlmsm0

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Newbie question regarding classes in SCCA Autox.
Take a generic stock car. It fits into one of the stock classes.
Replace wheels/tires with same sizes as stock (pilot super sport), and high performance pads / fluid. It's still in GS, right?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 24, 2019

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Don't forget that you can change dampers too. Koni sports are typically what people go with.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
EEEEEEE! Picking my car up today with a rebuilt tranny (stronger gearset) after the grenade went off in the transmission 2.5 months ago on track (the transmission... was not salvageable). We'll see how it shakes out this weekend.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NinjaTech posted:

Don't forget that you can change dampers too. Koni sports are typically what people go with.

You also get 1 sway bar.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
We have an autocross thread you guys. :colbert:

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Is anyone else doing the Lemons race at The Ridge this weekend? I'll be out there in the Burger World Integra. Some of my friends will be out for their first race in their freshly built 944. I hope it lasts long enough for all of them to get a chance to drive it.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Getting ready for my first night race, and my first Chumpcar race in 2 years. I'm pretty impressed with the amount and quality of light these Chinese HID projectors throw. Still need to tweak the aim a bit.

edit: All my neighbors think it's really cool having a cool race car guy with a loud car on the street

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

nollij posted:

EEEEEEE! Picking my car up today with a rebuilt tranny (stronger gearset) after the grenade went off in the transmission 2.5 months ago on track (the transmission... was not salvageable). We'll see how it shakes out this weekend.

HAHAHAHHAHAH PSYCHE! The transmission is leaking all over the loving place. Seriously. How after spending $6,000 does this happen? Why do I have so many problems with all of these "top dog" Evo shops and manufacturers?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

nollij posted:

HAHAHAHHAHAH PSYCHE! The transmission is leaking all over the loving place.

As in, the shop saw the problem before handing it back to you? Or after you drove away?

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

kimbo305 posted:

As in, the shop saw the problem before handing it back to you? Or after you drove away?

They drove it around for a day but considering they are so packed that getting the car put on the lift is like asking for Jesus to give you a hand job they probably just said "no odd noises among all the loud noises the car normally makes."

I only noticed it because after driving 160 miles back from the shop I noticed oil splatter on the back of my bumper/trunk.

Also, I should note that the transmission fluid is not leaking from the drain/fill plugs which was the first area I checked.

I should also note, my car sat out in the weather so the APR GTC-300 wing looks like a big pile of poo poo after sitting in the weather for 3 months. The clear coat on the entire top side of the wing is hosed. They pressure washed the wheels and sprayed off some of the stickers (Volk stickers that cost $100 to replace; don't actually care that much about this but... come on!).

nollij fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 19, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

nollij posted:

They drove it around for a day but considering they are so packed that getting the car put on the lift is like asking for Jesus to give you a hand job they probably just said "no odd noises among all the loud noises the car normally makes."

I only noticed it because after driving 160 miles back from the shop I noticed oil splatter on the back of my bumper/trunk.

Also, I should note that the transmission fluid is not leaking from the drain/fill plugs which was the first area I checked.

I should also note, my car sat out in the weather so the APR GTC-300 wing looks like a big pile of poo poo after sitting in the weather for 3 months. The clear coat on the entire top side of the wing is hosed. They pressure washed the wheels and sprayed off some of the stickers (Volk stickers that cost $100 to replace; don't actually care that much about this but... come on!).

If you pay these people for a new transmission and they don't fix it without complaint starting Monday, you should out these fuckers.
What a bunch of bullshit. loving internet famous shops are such a crapshoot.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

User Error posted:

Getting ready for my first night race, and my first Chumpcar race in 2 years. I'm pretty impressed with the amount and quality of light these Chinese HID projectors throw. Still need to tweak the aim a bit.

edit: All my neighbors think it's really cool having a cool race car guy with a loud car on the street

Post race report: Lights suck, can't see poo poo, need apex lights.

We somehow came in 6th (out of 22) despite being several seconds slower than most of the cars there. When you're racing these heaps you basically have to not crash or break down and you'll do OK. I think only 8 or 9 cars took the checker flag, but a few of them spent significant time in the garages.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

User Error posted:

We somehow came in 6th (out of 22) despite being several seconds slower than most of the cars there. When you're racing these heaps you basically have to not crash or break down and you'll do OK. I think only 8 or 9 cars took the checker flag, but a few of them spent significant time in the garages.

This really is the key to Chump and Lemons, a fast car isn't worth poo poo if you spend half the race in the pits or don't finish. We run consistent lap times within a couple seconds (driver dependent) of the fastest cars but usually have no mechanical issues and our pit stops are good so we finish within the top 10-20% most of the time.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

User Error posted:

When you're racing these heaps you basically have to not crash or break down and you'll do OK.

What region are you in? Because in the Central region that simply isn't true. TBR, ABR, Chump Faces, BAR etc all field bloody good cars and finishing in the top 10 is not easy. Then again a 22 car grid sounds terrible.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

drgitlin posted:

What region are you in? Because in the Central region that simply isn't true. TBR, ABR, Chump Faces, BAR etc all field bloody good cars and finishing in the top 10 is not easy. Then again a 22 car grid sounds terrible.

This was at Gateway, in the Central region. Turnout was pretty weak, I was really hoping to see more. It was about the same last time I raced in 2012. Holy Rollers were dominating until they had mechanical issues and F1 1ABs won. Kentucky Spirits has a drat fast 300zx and set the fastest time of day by a long shot but they weren't consistent enough to take first.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Huh, I stand corrected. Regarding car counts, I have no doubt Condren's behavior and WRL (which is an awesome series and very serious about the no contact rule) is going to hurt ChumpCar entry lists. I don't know that our team will do another Chump race again.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
That could be a big part of it. I'm not thrilled with the direction Condren is taking things and I'll certainly look into running with WRL next year. Gateway being 30 minutes away made the decision easy this year. It gets a little lonely on track when half of a 22 car field drops out.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

I miss having a black car. There is rubber all over this thing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Anybody else going to the 24 hour Chump race at VIR in a few weekends?

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

FatCow posted:

I miss having a black car. There is rubber all over this thing.

Sup white race car buddy. Mother's R3 legit works. Spray on, wait 30 seconds, wipe rubber off.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Phone posted:

Anybody else going to the 24 hour Chump race at VIR in a few weekends?

No :(

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

nm posted:

If you pay these people for a new transmission and they don't fix it without complaint starting Monday, you should out these fuckers.
What a bunch of bullshit. loving internet famous shops are such a crapshoot.

The shop ended up fixing it. Turns out somebody, somewhere forgot to tighten down a plug on top of the transmission that does not appear to be for anything in particular. I don't know if this was the transmission shop's whoopsy or if that is where the shop tried filling the transmission from when I asked them to overfill and to fill from the reverse switch on top of the tranny. Likely the transmission shop's fault.

It's a good thing I am paranoid and eye balled that poo poo or my brand new "super duper limited run gear set" would have eaten poo poo.

who is spain
Oct 28, 2010
Anyone have experience with both the Carbotech XP-12 and Raybestos ST-43 brake pads?

This is for my Lemons/Chump car, a 1987 Toyota Supra.

We've been running the Carbotechs in the front the last couple races and they work great but they don't work great long enough. It seems like they really tear through our rotors and we thought the pads would last longer.

From what I've read so far, the Raybestos are supposed to last longer and not be hard on the rotors.

We are also planning to get better brake ducts in the front to try to cool the rotors off better and maybe they will survive better that way.

Any opinions appreciated!

I would have posted this in the Chump/Lemons/cheap endurance racing thread but this thread seems to get more traffic.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Ducts are key. Do that no matter what you choose for pads. Have you considered RP2's? We get ~40 hours out of them on our rx7.