Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Are all 50 of those issues worth getting? I read the From the Ashes trade and really liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm a new Comixology user. If I go to the Marvel section, they highlight a $5 off promotion on a bunch of collections. I added the Maximum Carnage collection to my cart, went to check out, and put in the promo code highlighted in the ad (FIVEOFF). When I try to apply, I get the error "This code is not valid in this store."

Am I some kind of moron? Or is there some other problem going on here behind the scenes?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
I get the same error on a few bundles in that offer, so you're probably not a moron. Probably.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Some codes are only valid at the Vendor's store. IE: https://comicsstore.marvel.com

but if its a code given by Comixology, I dunno.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just started getting into comics, and have decided to go the digital route. Bought the new 10.5" samsung tablet with pretty much the sole intention of getting a comic reader, and it is pretty good. Here is comixology next to the real thing.

After getting it in my hands, I don't regret the 10.5" version at all. Have already devoured transmetropolitan, a good chunk of fables, from hell, and saga.

Also google has some cheap walking dead compendium right now.
https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Robert_Kirkman_The_Walking_Dead_Compendium_1?id=3cMaAgAAQBAJ
https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Robert_Kirkman_The_Walking_Dead_Compendium_2?id=NVYhAgAAQBAJ

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Comixology has the 2010-13 'X-Men' on sale right now. 42 issue bundle, $40.

Is that run any good? I remember them starting it off with a vampire story so that's not a good sign.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

96 comics for $11 is a hell of a deal.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Dark Horse are having a sale on the Strain comic book adaptation. I hadn't read Del Toro's novels and am interested in the show so I picked everything up. After 9 issues, I'm finding it pretty good. It does feel kind of compressed since they're adapting a novel in 11 issues but it's still pretty great to binge read. They've adapted the first 2 (out of 3) novels so far and apparently, season 1 of the show will be the first book.

As an aside, I wish Comixology ripped off parts of the way the Dark Horse app manages its library: it's pretty great to have different volumes of a series grouped under a single library entry. I kind of hate how every one-shot is it's own entry in Comixology when it could often be grouped with a parent series.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

96 comics for $11 is a hell of a deal.

It's a shame they are Walking Dead comics.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I think the Comixology Suicide Squad sale ends tomorrow. I've never read any of them, but the concept seems pretty cool. Are any of these particularly good? Any must have arcs?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Russad posted:

I think the Comixology Suicide Squad sale ends tomorrow. I've never read any of them, but the concept seems pretty cool. Are any of these particularly good? Any must have arcs?

That's been the topic du jour in the BSS Chat thread for the past few days, you should hop in there and scan the last couple of pages.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Another Dark Horse plug: there's a The Goon mega-bundle on sale for $40. That looks like a good deal.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

There's also a massive bundle of Jason comics on comixology. I haven't read it myself but it's pretty well received here and critically in general.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Battle of The Atom sale
https://www.comixology.com/X-Men-Battle-of-the-Atom-Sale/page/2633

But forget that disappointing event cause Si Spurrier's X-Men Legacy is in there as well for some reason.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Battle of The Atom sale
https://www.comixology.com/X-Men-Battle-of-the-Atom-Sale/page/2633

But forget that disappointing event cause Si Spurrier's X-Men Legacy is in there as well for some reason.

I would like to second this. Legacy is relatively self-contained and one of the best runs in the franchise's recent history.

I was holding out hope for a complete HC run of it, but $18 for all of it in digital is grand too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Space Fish posted:

I would like to second this. Legacy is relatively self-contained and one of the best runs in the franchise's recent history.

I was holding out hope for a complete HC run of it, but $18 for all of it in digital is grand too.

Not all of it. All of it except the final arc.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

All 18 of those Legacy issues are up on Marvel Unlimited if you wanna save yourself some coin.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
There's a Wasteland sale on Comixology with 50 issues for $25. Does anyone around have an opinion on how good/bad this is?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's a typical post apocalyptic setting with a wanderer getting caught up in saving a small town from slavers. I like it, but I read my friend's copies years ago, so don't remember specifics. And I only read two trades, so don't know how it goes after that.

I see Cursed Pirate Girl is on sale for $4. Buy that poo poo! It's a pirate based, Alice in Wonderland like story with amazing, hyper detailed artwork. I just hope the digital version is high enough resolution to see all the line work.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

PelvicNerve posted:

There's a Wasteland sale on Comixology with 50 issues for $25. Does anyone around have an opinion on how good/bad this is?

Good, but actually not "easy" to read. Neat art and mythology, but kind of dense, occasionally unclear. Bundle is almost certainly worth it, though (I bough 46 issues for $36 last sale. Read 12 so far, but do intend to read the rest.) Reviews of series are good.

edit: Kieron Gillen likes it, and I like his work, so that goes a long way, too.

onefish fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 19, 2014

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I only read the first couple issues a while back, does it get better? It came across as... clunky, I guess, and my memory of the art was that it was sorta aping generic manga? I read the first few issues of The Fuse (same author) and felt similarly towards the writing.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Zachack posted:

I only read the first couple issues a while back, does it get better? It came across as... clunky, I guess, and my memory of the art was that it was sorta aping generic manga? I read the first few issues of The Fuse (same author) and felt similarly towards the writing.

In all HONEST honesty -- I think it's clunky in what I've read, too. I always want to like the author's work just a bit more than I do (Umbral is cool but a bit awkward as well). It's interesting enough for me to read, but not good enough for me to read at anything over a good sale price.

But I want more amazing bundle deals like $25 for 50 comics, so I'm hoping they sell a bunch of these anyway...

edit: I did love Young Avengers, 7/21 Marvel Monday deal. Every issue was fun.

onefish fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 21, 2014

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I bought the bundle and the few issues after 50 that were on sale. I haven't read anything yet.

That's one thing I really like about these digital storefronts: they can (to an extent) level the playing field for all these lesser known titles.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How are the issues in the Young Avengers sale that just started? I heard good things about the most recent series so I might pick it up.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rirse posted:

How are the issues in the Young Avengers sale that just started? I heard good things about the most recent series so I might pick it up.

I thought it was disappointing for the most part and just kind of farted out of existence, but it's not bad.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Rirse posted:

It's good. It's basically what it advertises, young adults going around being superheroes and partying though it starts a bit slow. Definitely worth that price and miles better than any other Young Avengers books.

I'd even say it's just worth it for the moments when McKelvie does stuff like this:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Did Marvel do a promotion last year for Comic Con with Marvel Unlimited?

Thinking about subscribing, but wondering if I should wait the week or so to see if anything special comes out of this weekend.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Harlock posted:

Thinking about subscribing, but wondering if I should wait the week or so to see if anything special comes out of this weekend.

They gave out an old man Logan figure when you subscribed for a year.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

A lot of Walking Dead plus a few other things over at Humble Bundle.
https://www.humblebundle.com/thewalkingdead

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Harlock posted:

I think the last comic con had a $1 for the first month promotion.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

A lot of Viz titles are on sale (One Punch Man...)
https://www.comixology.com/Viz-Summer-Sale/page/2760

How is All You Need is Kill? I liked Edge of Tomorrow alright, heard the book is better...

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
There is a literal shitload of Batman books on sale. So many issues I can't even begin to think of what to get. Only thing I got for Batman on Comixology is the Batman and Son Deluxe Collection from when it was on sale a few months back.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Batman-750-Sale/page/2663

From the old Batman and Detective Comics sections, I'd recommend Morrison's run in 'Batman' (655-658,663-669,672-683, 700-702) and Scott Snyder's from 'Detective Comics' (871-881)
Greg Rucka's Batwoman Detective Comics not being about Batman is a lovely rear end reason for their exclusion :mad:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Uthor posted:

A lot of Viz titles are on sale (One Punch Man...)
https://www.comixology.com/Viz-Summer-Sale/page/2760

How is All You Need is Kill? I liked Edge of Tomorrow alright, heard the book is better...

The manga is worth a buy, Abe and Obata are big names for such an adaptation. I would've tweaked the ending, but enjoyed the ride nonetheless. It's like the new Battle Royale insofar as every version is entertaining yet unique enough from the other versions to feel fresh.

Finally jumping into the Jojo manga because of this, plus all of Samurai Jack and some miscellaneous Batman titles.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Tons of Image comics on sale, too. Hopefully they are going to match this on their store so I have an excuse to get more Rat Queens and Sex Crims.

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=3003

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://www.comixology.com/Batman-750-Sale/page/2663

From the old Batman and Detective Comics sections, I'd recommend Morrison's run in 'Batman' (655-658,663-669,672-683, 700-702) and Scott Snyder's from 'Detective Comics' (871-881)
Greg Rucka's Batwoman Detective Comics not being about Batman is a lovely rear end reason for their exclusion :mad:

Other than that :unsmigghh:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bleeding Cool is reporting on a rumor of comiXology offering a DRM-free option to publishers. gently caress yes, if true.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/22/comixology-to-change-everything-by-offering-drm-free-options-to-comics-publishers/

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Uuuuugh I shouldn't drop the money but I really wanna get all of the Moench/Jones issues of Batman right now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
If you want some great Joker stories get Batman 251 and Detective Comics 475 and 476. The Joker Fish and the Joker's 5 way revenge are classic and some of the best Bat stories ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMP
May 5, 2009

I guess they're not putting their digital trades on sale then, huh. I was excited to buy some Batman stuff but hell if I'm going to buy like 60 single issues.