Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Cithen posted:

Is there a way to delete your account or change sides?

I originally signed up as Resistance a while back to see if my Android tablet would be sufficient to play, but now that I can actually play with iOS I think I want to join Enlightened.

Most players I know that have switched just abandon their old accounts and start a new one because of the lead time.

The benefit of switching rather than doing that is keeping your agent name and stats (other than AP)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Aramoro posted:

You can can change faction once, it effectively resets you to 0 again.

Also of note is that while a faction switch will zero out your AP and clear your inventory, you do get to keep your agent stats and achievement badges. If you're above L8 when you switch, then to get back there you just have to meet the AP criteria since you've still got your badges.

edit: But if you've not played, yeah, I'd just do as noted above and nuke your account / make a new one

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Most players I know that have switched just abandon their old accounts and start a new one because of the lead time.

The benefit of switching rather than doing that is keeping your agent name and stats (other than AP)

Does this work anymore with the phone number verification they implemented not too long ago?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Does this work anymore with the phone number verification they implemented not too long ago?

The phone number you use isn't tied to the device/account - I'm pretty sure you can also do voice calls to verify and whatnot
My understanding is that the point of the system is to thwart bots and people making multiple and multiple accounts

edited for clarity

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Exit Strategy posted:

There's one guy who approves portals. For the entire planet.

I feel like this explains why my comedy portal submissions get approved but my serious ones get shot down.

Also gently caress yeah iOS client; now I don't have to lug around two phones when I want to play which means maybe I'll finally get over the 7->8 hump.

Edit: Mass recycle is missing in the iOS client :negative:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Also missing in iOS are portal submissions, passcode entry, and push notifications for attack/@-mention in comms.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Are there any organized goon ingress groups? It'd be fun to draw giant green intercontinental dicks with fellow goons.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Are there any organized goon ingress groups? It'd be fun to draw giant green intercontinental dicks with fellow goons.

Complete with blue balls?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Mr. Powers posted:

Complete with blue balls?

Why not? Cross faction art is fun, too.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Apparently Houston is a really close match and I joined the slightly-losing side.

Should be fun, except half the portals are on random private business property.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Quick question, regarding resonator deployment. I had a grey portal near my work which I captured today. My understanding on deploying resonators is that you need to be physically in the location where you want to deploy one.

That being said, why was I able to deploy all 8 resonators from one location? I was just inside the range where I could hack the portal, but I could place all 8.

Additionally, another portal I captured, my first resonator I could only place reallllly close to the portal, but the rest of the 7 I could place at their maximum distance away from the same physical location.

What am I missing here?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Resonators place in cardinal directions around the portal at the distance you are standing from it. A good analogy is to visualize the center of the portal the needle on a circle compass and you as the pencil.
To get optimal resonator placement - stand with the center of the portal just at the edge of the orange ring around your location arrow

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Resonators place in cardinal directions around the portal at the distance you are standing from it. A good analogy is to visualize the center of the portal the needle on a circle compass and you as the pencil.
To get optimal resonator placement - stand with the center of the portal just at the edge of the orange ring around your location arrow

This USED to be true.

Optimal resonator placement is now two resonators at ten meters out, about a quarter of the circle, and then the rest at forty meters - the edge of your action radius. That way, if someone Ultra Strikes the portal to take out your mods, the Strike also contacts your resonators and damages them, flagging you with an attack alert.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Exit Strategy posted:

There's no way to see the overall player counts, but it's about 60/40, with the Resistance being the larger part of the fraction. Out-of-game, I have the suspicion that it's because the players who chose that side romanticize the idea and like the sound of being part of The Resistance.

In-game? If anyone with a camera asks me at an anomaly I say "I feel bad for them, really - Fire can burn your house, but that's no reason to fear the stovetop."

I keep hearing that, but I've never actually seen any numbers that shows any side having more people than the other. Everyone seems to go off their anecdotal evidence from their local areas, or just pegs the other faction as the larger side.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
Okay, so I finally joined this game, too.. Looks fun, kind of surprised there are so many portals even in this small town that I'm working in. Going to hack my first portal during my next break..

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Exit Strategy posted:

This USED to be true.

Optimal resonator placement is now two resonators at ten meters out, about a quarter of the circle, and then the rest at forty meters - the edge of your action radius. That way, if someone Ultra Strikes the portal to take out your mods, the Strike also contacts your resonators and damages them, flagging you with an attack alert.

While this is nice information to have, my question was solely about what is actually possible within the game mechanics rather than what is a good idea as a strategy.

But thank you :)

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Exit Strategy posted:

This USED to be true.

Active defense never works - especially if someone is striking the shields - so "getting an alert" is useless
It's still best to put all of the resonators at max distance - all you're doing by putting some closer to the center is making those ones weaker

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Active defense never works - especially if someone is striking the shields - so "getting an alert" is useless
It's still best to put all of the resonators at max distance - all you're doing by putting some closer to the center is making those ones weaker

Not true. Portals don't hit a player unless a resonator is hit. If you put a reso or two near the portal then they'll get zapped when they use Ultra Strikes, which means they'll lose more XM taking the portal than if all the resos were at max distance.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Active defense DOES work, with a properly set-up portal (Force Amp, Turret, R-Shield, R-Shield, L7/L8 resonators). You can force an enemy to drain their weapon stockpile or cycle out all of their XM before you do.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Not true. Portals don't hit a player unless a resonator is hit. If you put a reso or two near the portal then they'll get zapped when they use Ultra Strikes, which means they'll lose more XM taking the portal than if all the resos were at max distance.

Also this.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

You can believe what you want to believe, but the explanation is simple: the existence and power of Ultra Strikes completely invalidates the "strategy" that's designed to thwart them

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

You can believe what you want to believe, but the explanation is simple: the existence and power of Ultra Strikes completely invalidates the "strategy" that's designed to thwart them

It's not about thwarting but inconvenience.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

His setup for mods is the new strategy.

I'd be happy if more people put resonators closer to the portal with your strategy. That would make it that much easier to take out a resonator while I'm trying to take out the mods. When the resonator pops, it drops the mitigation of the portal for me, which is a plus.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Osmosisch posted:

It's not about thwarting but inconvenience.

This, the more time and resources you can make them spend killing poo poo means the more farming and less time they have for killing more poo poo. Ingress is very much a game about attrition.

I think maximizing mitigation is the way to go, weapons are harder to collect than xm.

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 15, 2014

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I think maximizing mitigation is the way to go, weapons are harder to collect than xm.

Attack mods work best with clustered portals - if someone's getting zapped by 4 portals, a few attack mods will drain their bar in 1 shot

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Because of the recent portal decay change and boost to cube drops, the correct move is to focus on shields with the occasional weapon sprinkled into portal clusters.

More cubes means that hits from weapons matter less. More decay means 8 portals are less common, so 8xmp are more valuable.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

FistEnergy posted:

More decay means 8 portals are less common, so 8xmp are more valuable.

I don't understand. Are you telling me that your cell doesn't have a centralized infrastructure of dedicated L8+ agents who work together for the common goal of maintaining farms on a large scale, say 120+ L8 portals within a one-mile radius, and keep that area defended from both the extreme decay and any attack raids conducted on the farm? Because here in AM01-Kilo-10, that's how it works. We coordinate and have different work schedules so there are always at least ten people watching the local primary 8 farm.

e: When I say "watching", I don't mean dedicated oversight or anything. It's just that those people have the free time to recharge whenever there's an attack, and the clusters within the farm are dense enough that attack and shield portals can be interspersed and drain an attacker's resources within seconds.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Exit Strategy posted:

I don't understand. Are you telling me that your cell doesn't have a centralized infrastructure of dedicated L8+ agents who work together for the common goal of maintaining farms on a large scale, say 120+ L8 portals within a one-mile radius, and keep that area defended from both the extreme decay and any attack raids conducted on the farm? Because here in AM01-Kilo-10, that's how it works. We coordinate and have different work schedules so there are always at least ten people watching the local primary 8 farm.

Is your faction disproportionately in control? Where I am, the opposing faction has the city locked down and we get the crumbs. They have two large scale 8 farms (60+ portals each) that are fortified and linked, and there's zero point in trying to attack it because they'll send someone to patch it back up in a heartbeat.

Meanwhile, we can't even get a portal up to 7 without them dispatching someone to take it out. If we stand up a farm it maybe will last long enough for the parties involved to burn it out, if we're lucky.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

kitten smoothie posted:

Is your faction disproportionately in control? Where I am, the opposing faction has the city locked down and we get the crumbs. They have two large scale 8 farms (60+ portals each) that are fortified and linked, and there's zero point in trying to attack it because they'll send someone to patch it back up in a heartbeat.

Meanwhile, we can't even get a portal up to 7 without them dispatching someone to take it out. If we stand up a farm it maybe will last long enough for the parties involved to burn it out, if we're lucky.

Neither faction is dominant here, and we get along with each other.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Exit Strategy posted:

Neither faction is dominant here, and we get along with each other.

You're lucky. The competition in my cell is pretty cut throat. Constant cross faction drama wears thin.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Parts of ATL are really competitive like Lawrenceville and the Georgia Tech campus, others are dominated by one color or the other (definitely more blue than green) but it's all been friendly that I've seen. After group ops I've seen a lot of the blue players join up with greens for bar hopping or whatever.

When green runs out of ammo there's farming ops; 8 or more green L8 players get together at a major farm and then simultaneously light up a bunch of 8 portals and put multi hacks on them, walking or driving around in a circle and hacking everything non-stop.

Some blue 8 always shows up and blows poo poo up to prevent green from arming up, but they have to do it fast - with burnout cycles, they have half an hour or less from the time the first 8 portal goes up. You can still get a lot of ammo before blue ruins the party.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

You're lucky. The competition in my cell is pretty cut throat. Constant cross faction drama wears thin.

I've heard that in Cleveland, they call the police on each other. I would stop playing.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Yeah, Phoenix metro is like this too. :sigh:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Exit Strategy posted:

I've heard that in Cleveland, they call the police on each other. I would stop playing.

Police calls, lost jobs, breaking into federal cemeteries, cheating, fights, we've had it all. Both sides are probably just as bad, but no one wants to admit that their poo poo stinks so the factionalism is rampant.

I probably should quit, but it's a fun game when I'm not getting into fist fights.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Yikes. The worst things get in Portland is people calling other faction members out for being Ayn Rand fans.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Police calls, lost jobs, breaking into federal cemeteries, cheating, fights, we've had it all. Both sides are probably just as bad, but no one wants to admit that their poo poo stinks so the factionalism is rampant.

I probably should quit, but it's a fun game when I'm not getting into fist fights.

All of this and people airing out affairs is what the past year has been for my local players.

:allears:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:stare:

The worst I've seen in Chicago is a bit of taunting in COMM. (Plus of course the usual in-game griefing like taking out a huge field seconds before the end of a cycle, or when my guardian portal got blown up at 146 days. :argh:)

But also common is stuff like what happened to me after I got into a real-time attack/defense war on one of my portals -- we thanked each other for a fun little skirmish.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
^^^^^
You're lucky. All of you that have good xfaction in your towns should make sure that it stays that way. It's not worth it. I mean, the drama is fun, from afar, but this is the sort of game that draws you into the poop too much to have fun watching drama explode.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

All of this and people airing out affairs is what the past year has been for my local players.

:allears:

There are a number of players with ex's that are stuck with coordinated game names and it makes me laugh when ever I see them.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Yikes. The worst things get in Portland is people calling other faction members out for being Ayn Rand fans.

I just accuse all of the ENL of being Ayn Rand fans. It's amusing.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 15, 2014

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

There are a number of players with ex's that are stuck with coordinated game names and it makes me laugh when ever I see them.

I think the worst it gets around here is mild taunting, aside from the high-level R defections we keep getting. They keep coming over to the E because we have an actual community and parties and so on.

I think the worst it's ever been was some form of huge drama that broke the Pittsburgh Resistance into a dozen cliques, each competing to be the "real" Resistance.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Exit Strategy posted:

I think the worst it gets around here is mild taunting, aside from the high-level R defections we keep getting. They keep coming over to the E because we have an actual community and parties and so on.

I think the worst it's ever been was some form of huge drama that broke the Pittsburgh Resistance into a dozen cliques, each competing to be the "real" Resistance.

We've got a big resistance schism here too. It's not to bad, but there's a lot of bad blood between Ft. Worth and Dallas over who should be in charge of what. Lot's of accusations of back door recruiting, fighting over who should take down farms, and a lot of people who take the game too seriously. Honestly, a lot of that is the problem. People on both sides treat the game as if its real, as if the other factions existence is some sort of slight to their real life honor, and degrade anyone who isn't as into the game as they are. Couple that with bad blood on both sides dating back to beta and it's just a toxic environment for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I don't know if there's drama in Seattle or not. I just play solo, concentrating on finding new portals to submit, recharging low ones, and maintaining my Guardian. And staying out of COMM entirely.

• Locked thread