Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Rita Repulsa posted:

how would you reveal falcon

Pichu shows up as a "reveal", only for Falcon to Falcon Punch him into milky way and be the actual reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Whelp, I doubt the game will have 2 characters named Robin so time to find a new Golden Sun rep for me to dillusionally wish for.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Rita Repulsa posted:

how would you reveal falcon

By having him Falcon Punch literally everyone.

In the entire history of the planet Earth. It would be an extremely long video.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

KamikazePotato posted:

He punched Chrom into non-playable status

Haha I love the imagery of Cap getting a contract to literal eliminate Fire Emblem characters from the game by punching them super hard

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Sire Oblivion posted:

Bookman looks cool but we got a clone character in Lucina it seems? Oh well. I'm most disappointed in what a lovely reveal Falcon got.

We weren't shown enough of his moves, but c'mon...

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So we get a female Marth? Literally another small agile blue haired character with a sword? Awesome, it's not like there's ton of other unique characters who could be put in the game or anything. At least Robin looks unique.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Waterfall of Salt posted:

What the hell are you guys talking about, there's still plenty of swordsmen that would be great in Smash 4 :colbert:

Let me dream, it's all I have :smith:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Megasabin posted:

So we get a female Marth? Literally another small agile blue haired character with a sword? Awesome, it's not like there's ton of other unique characters who could be put in the game or anything. At least Robin looks unique.

we already had this discussion and it was stupid.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh yeah, apparently today is the 16th anniversary of F-Zero X's Japanese release, which explains why Falcon was revealed today specifically.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Megasabin posted:

What I'm getting at is that with knowing less moves than you can count on one hand is that posts like this are a bit much, but, you know, jump to conclusions I guess

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

majormonotone posted:

we already had this discussion and it was stupid.

What are you some kind of anime

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Megasabin posted:

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

What are you some kind of anime

You got me, uguu~~

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Megasabin posted:

I think I'm in the minority, but as long as clones don't bump other characters out of the roster, I actually like clones. I didn't play Fox or Falco, but it was cool that there is a separate character with only subtle play style differences, especially with a popular play style like Fox.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So, with today's announcements we're up to 38 characters officially revealed, including 13 newcomers. I'm counting Mii Fighter three times in both cases, of course.

There are ten to twelve still-unannounced veterans with good prospects: Jigglypuff, Ness, Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Ganondorf, Falco, Wolf, Meta Knight, ROB, Wario, maybe Lucas, and maybe Mewtwo. (Pretty sure Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Roy, and Dr. Mario are out.) Additionally, Sakurai teased that this wouldn't be the last announcement of a newcomer. It would make sense for there to be one more reveal in August, before the Japanese release in September.

Nutsack Rangoon
Mar 30, 2010

EVERYTHING IS NUMBERED HERE. THE MONSTER IS ZERO.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

What I'm getting at is that with knowing less moves than you can count on one hand is that posts like this are a bit much, but, you know, jump to conclusions I guess

You would think that they would show off her different moves then instead of ones that are identical to Marth's.

Has there been another costume thats actually a different character yet?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nutsack Rangoon posted:

You would think that they would show off her different moves then instead of ones that are identical to Marth's.

Has there been another costume thats actually a different character yet?

Dr. Mario.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Militree posted:

I think I'm in the minority, but as long as clones don't bump other characters out of the roster, I actually like clones. I didn't play Fox or Falco, but it was cool that there is a separate character with only subtle play style differences, especially with a popular play style like Fox.

Yeah, honestly. Even if they play exactly identically, I'd play Lucina over Marth any day.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The Kins posted:

Oh yeah, apparently today is the 16th anniversary of F-Zero X's Japanese release, which explains why Falcon was revealed today specifically.

Fire Emblem 12 also was released in Japan this day 4 years ago, so that's a reason we got Fire Emblem characters today.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I had forgotten all about Travis Touchdown. Why the hell isn't he in here???

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

setafd posted:

Because jerkin' it isn't an appropriate game mechanic in Smash, apparently. :jerkbag:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Reuse of assets in games always own

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

This was a cool reveal, and I haven't even played Fire Emblem.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ManlyGrunting posted:

Let me dream, it's all I have :smith:

His chances of appearing as a trophies have significantly improved.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

setafd posted:

He's not an animal or a D&D character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Megasabin posted:

So we get a female Marth? Literally another small agile blue haired character with a sword? Awesome, it's not like there's ton of other unique characters who could be put in the game or anything.
You're wrong and bad and dumb.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I was saving this for today but I guess I'll just put it away for Smash 5...

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Can't wait for Ness, Lucas, Ninten, and playable Shigesato Itoi to be announced

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Waterfall of Salt posted:

What the hell are you guys talking about, there's still plenty of swordsmen that would be great in Smash 4 :colbert:

Who is the guy in the middle? Some sort of Earthbound dude?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Endorph posted:

You're wrong and bad and dumb.

Yeah well your face is an anime. :colbert:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Can we talk about how it seems like Nintendo has made a deliberate effort to include more female characters (and/or female skins for characters)? People are bitching about Lucina without any awareness of context, that she's one of Nintendo's cooler and more popular female characters, so from that perspective it makes a lot of sense. But, no, abloo bloo bloo anime swords boring clones blah blah blah. Honestly, anyone spouting that line is being a pissy idiot.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Zain posted:

a spoiler character from Mother 3

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zain posted:

The Masked Man from Mother 3, yeah.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Neowyrm posted:

Can't wait for Ness, Lucas, Ninten, and playable Shigesato Itoi to be announced

Final Smash: Okay desu ka?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Zain posted:

Masked Man from Mother 3.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

More female characters is always good but we are pretty much drowning in sword guys at this point. Doesn't seem like Shulk is such a sure thing anymore, at least.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Watching the trailer again made me remember what is probably the most important Melee vid ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37ER1zpg_F4

Water-Raccoon
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, this latest trailer kinda sapped my excitement from me. I'm sure they're fine characters in their games but Lucina looks suspiciously cloney and the tactician(is that really his/her name?) doesn't really wow me at all. I think I'll take a break from this for a while. Never had second thoughts on Smash before. :ohdear:

LaserBaconMan
Jan 13, 2014

Momomo posted:

Watching the trailer again made me remember what is probably the most important Melee vid ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37ER1zpg_F4

Together we Move, Together we Move, Together we Move

Water-Raccoon posted:

Yeah, this latest trailer kinda sapped my excitement from me. I'm sure they're fine characters in their games but Lucina looks suspiciously cloney and the tactician(is that really his/her name?) doesn't really wow me at all. I think I'll take a break from this for a while. Never had second thoughts on Smash before. :ohdear:

How the hell does a character announcement in a game that will most likely have over 40 characters sap away your excitement? :psyduck:

In fact, this may be the dumbest loving post in the thread so far, and this thread has had plenty of dumb posts.

LaserBaconMan fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Spatula City posted:

Can we talk about how it seems like Nintendo has made a deliberate effort to include more female characters (and/or female skins for characters)? People are bitching about Lucina without any awareness of context, that she's one of Nintendo's cooler and more popular female characters, so from that perspective it makes a lot of sense. But, no, abloo bloo bloo anime swords boring clones blah blah blah. Honestly, anyone spouting that line is being a pissy idiot.

Really the inclusions have been so phenomenal (and there's been so many of them) that even if you didn't like these there's no reason to start crying, surely someone among the other inclusions pleased you or otherwise why are you following the news for this game.

Oh no a clone character of a sword weilder there's no originality in the inclusions at all. Adding a ninja, a build-your-own character, a puppet controlling character, a character that can collect charged projectiles, a boxer, and megaman didn't really count for anything.

• Locked thread