Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I just got CS:GO and the first game I played was with some friends of mine who like competition so it was a comp mode game where we got destroyed (not surprising, last time I played CS was 14 years ago) and then I went and played on community servers and got kills. Sometimes, not against bots. :v:

I guess I am officially a scrub, but I do want those sweet weapon skins. do they just drop after you play for a while or do you have to win or what :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Psion posted:

I just got CS:GO and the first game I played was with some friends of mine who like competition so it was a comp mode game where we got destroyed (not surprising, last time I played CS was 14 years ago) and then I went and played on community servers and got kills. Sometimes, not against bots. :v:

I guess I am officially a scrub, but I do want those sweet weapon skins. do they just drop after you play for a while or do you have to win or what :confused:

It used to be entirely random but now you can get guaranteed drops by completing the missions assigned to you on the home screen. You can also just buy them but what fun is that :v:

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Psion posted:

Drops happen after a certain amount of playtime each week, up to 4 drops a week. They can only happen at the end of a game as well. Winning or losing doesn't matter.

Jumping right in to matchmaking is probably the quickest way to learn how to play. Trial by fire and all that. Or maybe watching how pros play can help too.

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item

augustob posted:

Here's a very Siq(tm) clutch from yesterday's late night MMing with goons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ucYTCu7Ac

I counter your nice clutch with my shity MMace.

http://youtu.be/pSZv_0raSlg

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Ephedra posted:

Hail Satan.

deetee
Apr 22, 2008

This may be the greatest CS video I have ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Tcyya_bBs

Check this guys previous videos... he plays with a wheel, with a ddr pad, and with his crotch. All hilariously narrated by some british fellow.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

deetee posted:

Check this guys previous videos... he plays with a wheel, with a ddr pad, and with his crotch. All hilariously narrated by some british fellow.

Quick thread police! He's posting something he found on reddit!

Anyway, I seen it earlier and its loving hilarious.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Don't know about you guys but I want some grungy looking weapons - so I've begun on a series of tarnished-metal skins for every gun that takes well to the metallic re-finish.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=286204841

Started out with silver, will likely do bronze and rusted steel for a few, too! Given that gold is off limits, and most of the skins are super-shiny-pristine, this fits in nicely for those of us that appreciate a little wear and tear on their weaponry.

If there is a weapon in particular you'd like to see beat-to-poo poo and rusted up, let me know - I also appreciate any pointers towards metals or finishes that look good when worn. Copper is a great example, given the way it turns green when it 'rusts'.

----

Deagle added as per requests:
I'm not too big a fan of the way patina is allocated over the grip, personally, but such is the implementation of the procedural finishing!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=286245336

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 15, 2014

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

deetee posted:

This is my favorite of the series.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Necc0 posted:

For example I legit think a cp_ style gamemode could work in CS but using dust2 to demo it was a huge mistake.

Day of Defeat-style maps would work perfectly and I wouldn't mind seeing someone do some kind of quick and dirty port of something like anzio or avalanche to show this.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Ephedra posted:

I counter your lovely MM ace with my sloppy MM ace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LYaYzkzGI

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

What happened here? http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/730/Sticker%20%7C%20Death%20Comes

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

Pirated art, sticker will likely be replaced by a contraband version, which never drops and is therefore more valuable.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

augustob posted:

Pirated art, sticker will likely be replaced by a contraband version, which never drops and is therefore more valuable.

lol at how exploitable valve made their policy.

1. submit obscure pirated artwork
2. get into store
3. buy a million of your item on an account not connected to you
4. report your own plagiarism
5. profit

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Wow, please don't reveal my retirement plan.

VoiceOfIntuition
Apr 11, 2009
Is there any unintended side effects to just making them not tradable and not marketable?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The Howl thing was stupid for the above scam, they should have completely removed all the items.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Sylink posted:

The Howl thing was stupid for the above scam, they should have completely removed all the items.

What about the players who bought it from other players for bunches of money? It'd be pretty lovely if you bought a gun and then valve was like "Oh that gun was copyrighted, now you don't have that gun, and the guy you gave the money to still has your money". Unless you also want them to undo the transactions, but what if the gun has changed hands a dozen times, or even been traded for other guns etc etc.

It's just WAY more messy, and would upset way more people.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Apogee15 posted:

What about the players who bought it from other players for bunches of money? It'd be pretty lovely if you bought a gun and then valve was like "Oh that gun was copyrighted, now you don't have that gun, and the guy you gave the money to still has your money". Unless you also want them to undo the transactions, but what if the gun has changed hands a dozen times, or even been traded for other guns etc etc.

It's just WAY more messy, and would upset way more people.

What about just giving them all the current value of the gun in steambux?

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Daeno posted:

What about just giving them all the current value of the gun in steambux?

Or, you know, making it untradeable

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

whoknew posted:

Or, you know, making it untradeable

The problem with that is that they'd be profiting off of the pirate's artwork, opening themselves up for trouble that way. By changing the art, they 1) remove the offending artwork, 2) sever all ties to the pirate, 3) keep people happy (guns are still there, trade-able, and valuable), and 4) can pay the original artist whatever the going rate for the contributed skins is.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

haha yeah just change the art. all pictures are the same anyway, 3 arts for my wall please

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Well poo poo it finally happened to me

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

drat. That happened to me the other day too, but the other team kicked a person, the other was a bot that was W+S in a circle every round, and the other two were DMG's deranking so they just ran at us each time. :effort:

I finally found a good group of people to play with. :) A guy who's going for DMG+ has four other friends I play TF2 with and he's giving us a lot of good calls. It's a lovely feeling knowing you're good at aiming and shooting but not having any real ability to learn the maps due to time constraints. I feel like half the people that play this game have had hundreds of hours of experience in each map that I've played a handful of times. How I'm still in the AK's is beyond me.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Overgrown is my new favourite map. It feels really familiar for some reason.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Just wanted to say I finally hit Gold Nova 1, I know it's still a lovely rank but GODDAMN it feels good to get out of silver.

:neckbeard:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Highblood posted:

Just wanted to say I finally hit Gold Nova 1, I know it's still a lovely rank but GODDAMN it feels good to get out of silver.

:neckbeard:

Congrats! You'll notice a large increase in teammate competence, and if you're any good, you'll get through the nova ranks quite quickly.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
hahahahahahahah

e; i just patched, the new deag owns

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

I await your epic frag vid.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Is the number of mission "drops" per week limited? I haven't gotten a new one in a couple of days.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Katana Gomai posted:

Is the number of mission "drops" per week limited? I haven't gotten a new one in a couple of days.
They mentioned when they implemented abandoning missions that there was some "eligible for additional missions" status. So I think so.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
Can someone mod this as the Round Lost music? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
What are the skill levels like in your first couple of competitive MM games? I've been playing off and on very casually since before 1.6 but never really played the straight up 5v5 matches. I played on lots of larger servers where single players didn't usually determine a whole lot. In GO casual I am normally within the top 2 or 3 overall in score if I am in the match from start to finish. I am just wondering if I should expect to roll my first game or two or if it starts you in the middle like with Novas where I might not be up to that skill level at this time.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
Navi getting trashed by a french team.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Navi getting trashed by a french team.

You must have stopped watching.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Abisteen posted:

What are the skill levels like in your first couple of competitive MM games? I've been playing off and on very casually since before 1.6 but never really played the straight up 5v5 matches. I played on lots of larger servers where single players didn't usually determine a whole lot. In GO casual I am normally within the top 2 or 3 overall in score if I am in the match from start to finish. I am just wondering if I should expect to roll my first game or two or if it starts you in the middle like with Novas where I might not be up to that skill level at this time.

Your first match will be against the scrublordiest scrublords in all of Scrublordian.

This is what happened when 5 of us made new accounts and played matchmaking for the fourth time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwBn4lL0gz0

Don't worry about getting owned. Just play your 10 wins, get your first rank, then go from there :D. If you follow the advice in the OP about proper buying (wait until you can afford armor, helmet and m4/ak), consider your crosshair placement, etc, then you should make it into the high silvers no problem.

Edit: also see below

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 16, 2014

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Abisteen posted:

Your first placement match will be at Silver 2-3.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
gently caress yeah Navi somehow took that win.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Slumpy posted:

Can someone mod this as the Round Lost music? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

I missed u guys :h:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Well, thanks for the prodding guys! I went ahead and played my first competitive match.

That was... Pretty easy.

• Locked thread