Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Team Rochelle. That chick cut a big rear end piece of her finger off and didn't even cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Ballz posted:

I'm surprised at how little is thought of Jason in this thread. Personality aside, it was pretty clear after only an episode or two that he was by far one if the strongest chefs. He's never had a major fuckup and the lone time he was nominated was for purely self serving reasons. I always thought it'd be him and Joy as the final two.

With Joy out I think it's a tossup between Rochelle and Scott to go up against Jason. The editing still focuses on Melanie making dumbshit mistakes, there's no way she'll make it to the finals.

I think personality is a pretty huge thing to consider for someone you want to be your glorified linecook head chef. I could see Jason do well in a small, 2-3 man (emphasis on man) kitchen with an intimate--if well-soundproofed--dining area. Dropping him into an established 290-seat spot would just end up toxic and disruptive as hell.

I kind of have the same issue with Rochelle, just for different reasons. Maybe I'm doing them a disservice by picturing the contestants in real-world situations from their extremely unreal reality tv portrayals, but can you imagine her firing someone? Even correcting someone sternly when needed? I could see her running (again) a smaller kitchen in a bistro or something, and maybe that's what Gordon wants for his Vegas pub. I just have a hard time visualizing her in that situation.

I could go through all of the remaining cooks like this though. Goddamn Joy. :doh:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm kinda amazed that so many people thought Joy had the season locked up - I mentioned it on the 9th when I caught up with the season, Melanie's been getting a crazy winner's edit. Unless she royally fucks something up soon, she's gonna coast to a win. Jason's talking head segments have been super unsympathetic and clowny and Scott's been nominated for elimination the last seven times he's been eligible to be nominated for elimination, I have a hard time seeing either of them in the final. Rochelle has a shot, but I don't believe in it too much. I think she's got a better shot than like Mary had against Ja'Nel last season, but that's not saying much.

I kinda hope that Melanie does totally implode next week because like a Rochelle/Scott final would be pretty interesting.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
The thing that annoys me when I read Ben Starr's blog is that the guy seems to do nothing but talk poo poo about how fake MasterChef is top to bottom, but yet he seems to hang around every MasterChef contestant he can, and he uses his connection to MasterChef as his claim to fame and the reason why anyone should give a poo poo about what Ben Starr is saying.

Every reality competition show has the same criticisms leveled at it. The judging is dishonest, the show is edited to create a fake narrative, and the whole outcome is manipulated and predetermined. Yet, you, the audience that believes all this, somehow knows who the *real* winner should be. If the show is edited to the point of being completely fake, how can you say that you know better? Your conclusion about who the *real* winner should be is based on the edited show that you believe is totally fake anyway. Now that Luca won last season, everyone claims Natasha or Jessie should have been the *real* winner. If Jessie won a ton of people would be claiming she only won because she was a hot blonde. If Natasha had won it would be the same poo poo and it was really Luca who should have been the winner.

Ben Starr, who says the judging is fake, also promotes his own recipe with "this is the same recipe I used on MasterChef, which Gordon Ramsay said is the most amazing ______ ever." Yes, the same judging which you said in another blog entry is absolutely fake, right? You can't have it both ways.

In the previous thread, a bunch of people were flipping out about Krissi's "what does NBA stand for" tweet as proof positive she's an awful person, but now it's oh well she actually gets along with Bri post-MasterChef so her awful personality on the show is completely a fabrication of editing? As is the case with everything, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle (perhaps in the case of reality TV, something more like an 80/20 split).

He says winning MasterChef is a terrible thing or at least not a very good thing. I think it was Michael Chen from S3 that said Christine wasn't paid for her cookbook, and that the profits go to MasterChef, and that the $250K isn't tax free. Why anyone would think the prize money is tax free is beyond me, and honestly, if you weren't on MasterChef, who would give a poo poo about buying your cookbook, assuming anyone was even willing to publish it in the first place? I think it was Richard Blais from Top Chef has talked about how you can win the golden egg (in this case, the MasterChef title), or you can end up with a hen that lays golden eggs, even if you don't win the show. Honestly, if you never went on MasterChef you wouldn't have a cookbook published in the first place, you wouldn't have any prize money (sorry you had to pay taxes on it), and most importantly, THE PRICELESS MASTERCHEF TROPHY.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Scott808 posted:

Honestly, if you never went on MasterChef you wouldn't have a cookbook published in the first place, you wouldn't have any prize money (sorry you had to pay taxes on it), and most importantly, THE PRICELESS MASTERCHEF TROPHY.

This is really disingenuous given that the last 15+ years of reality TV have taught us that productions treat people like disposable objects and the only way to get on the shows is to surrender all their rights related to anything they may or may not win. Yeah, without the show they'd just be another random person, but it doesn't mean they deserve to be exploited as gently caress by the production companies.

I mean, that's the same attitude people take to NCAA Football programs. "Those players should be grateful for scholarships and a chance to play in the NFL, otherwise they'd have nothing" while the schools make hundreds of millions from their performance and the players are likely looking at long term medical problems from their playing careers.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 12, 2014

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Don't forget to sign up for the Masterchef Cruise! See real Masterchef contestants in their unnatural environment, live on stage! Watch them cook their signature dishes in the Masterchef Kitchen! Learn their Ancient Masterchef Secrets! Get up close and personal in the Masterchef Petting Zoo! Watch them fight to the death in the Masterchef Thunderdome!

http://events.lifejourneys.net/MasterChef/

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

pentyne posted:

This is really disingenuous given that the last 15+ years of reality TV have taught us that productions treat people like disposable objects and the only way to get on the shows is to surrender all their rights related to anything they may or may not win. Yeah, without the show they'd just be another random person, but it doesn't mean they deserve to be exploited as gently caress by the production companies.

I don't think they necessarily deserve to be exploited, but as a result of being on these shows a lot of them seem to get opportunities that you wouldn't otherwise get. Okay, so you worked very hard on your cookbook and you're not getting paid for it. Yeah, that kind of sucks, but why did you assume you were getting paid for the cookbook? As a viewer of the show I got the impression that getting your own cookbook *was* the prize itself. And why would you assume the 250K money prize was tax free - it's never promoted as such.

Is MasterChef going to take all your money for any cookbooks you publish after that? I'm pretty sure Julie from MasterChef Australia S1 has more than one cookbook. Even the people who didn't win have gotten opportunities I really doubt they wouldn't have had without going on the show. Poh has a TV show. Marion has her own line of home cooking kits in stores. Jimmy has his own line of spices and some other cooking goods in stores. Hell, some people seem to appear on one reality show and then it seems like they make appearing on reality TV their job - you'll see them on several shows.

Ben openly says the reason he keeps writing about MasterChef is to get viewers to read his page so he can also get you to read about other things he cares about. He runs some catering business with one of his fellow MasterChef contestants. He does charity work. Ben, despite all his complaining about MasterChef, is using his connection to the show to his benefit. Maybe people like Ryan, Tali, and Krissi won't get those opportunities because of how they were portrayed on the show. Ryan was a pretty weird guy even in the cooking audition segment and was getting into some petty arguments on Twitter, in post show interviews Tali talked about how the judges didn't understand his cooking genius, and Krissi made a tweet about how NBA stands for Niggers Bouncing Around - they probably did enough to screw their opportunities even without editing fuckery.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

pentyne posted:

I mean, that's the same attitude people take to NCAA Football programs. "Those players should be grateful for scholarships and a chance to play in the NFL, otherwise they'd have nothing" while the schools make hundreds of millions from their performance and the players are likely looking at long term medical problems from their playing careers.

And the Universities, in turn, do nothing good with that money and all of those poor young men being forced at gun point to play a game they don't love at all.

It's not like they were drafted into the College Football Military against their will. What I'm saying is that your analogy is bland, tasteless yeah, and quite frankly the worst analogy we've seen this season. (looks up to thread balcony) "Twee as gently caress, you did a good job picking this one."

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.
I bought Christine Ha's cookbook, and while she may not have gotten any money for it, everything in it is so good, that I'll cheerfully snap up any future cookbook she writes. And her Masterchef cookbook is rather small, so I imagine she's got a lot more to say.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'm still a little bummed that Christine didn't go with the goon idea when naming her book, which was "Cookin' Without Lookin'".

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Catching up on this week's HK. Joy's sudden meltdown / walkout might be the first time this show has genuinely surprised me in a long time, holy gently caress.

Ghostpilot posted:

If Mr. Magoo was a 27-year-old woman, he'd be Rochelle.

This is so true, but I love her, she's so adorable :allears:

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I missed the HK episode and fox is refusing to load the video online. Can someone please tell me exactly why Joy left? She had it out with Ramsay I gather but about what?

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
I mean I know a lot of people complain that Masterchef and HK have become awfully predictable etc... but seriously who could have predicted that not only Francis B would be the one chopped off on Masterchef but that Joy would melt down and that the previews were not lying about how shocking and a first in the history of HK was actually happening?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Coconut Indian posted:

I missed the HK episode and fox is refusing to load the video online. Can someone please tell me exactly why Joy left? She had it out with Ramsay I gather but about what?

She kept loving up communication with the garnish station. She also hosed up cooking a dish or two and the breakdown happened when she walked up with some fish, but didn't tell whomever was on garnish and Ramsey yelled at her about needing the garnish first. At which point she snapped back, he lit into her and she totally melted down.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Scott808 posted:

I don't think they necessarily deserve to be exploited, but as a result of being on these shows a lot of them seem to get opportunities that you wouldn't otherwise get. Okay, so you worked very hard on your cookbook and you're not getting paid for it. Yeah, that kind of sucks, but why did you assume you were getting paid for the cookbook? As a viewer of the show I got the impression that getting your own cookbook *was* the prize itself.

...Why wouldn't you expect to be paid for something that you contributed to and has your name / image on it? I mean, no doubt they have to sign a completely gently caress-you contract to even be considered to be on the show, but why on earth would you just assume that "well we're putting you on TV, really you should be paying us" is a non-insane stance to take? Do you look at job listings that say "You won't be paid but you can use this project as a resume builder" and say "yeah, that seems reasonable"?

Rich Radbards posted:

And the Universities, in turn, do nothing good with that money and all of those poor young men being forced at gun point to play a game they don't love at all.

It's not like they were drafted into the College Football Military against their will. What I'm saying is that your analogy is bland, tasteless yeah, and quite frankly the worst analogy we've seen this season. (looks up to thread balcony) "Twee as gently caress, you did a good job picking this one."

This is such a baffling reply to what he wrote that I don't even know what to say about it.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 14, 2014

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So what are they putting on top of the halibut? It looks like a brown cracker or something.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Solice Kirsk posted:

So what are they putting on top of the halibut? It looks like a brown cracker or something.

I think it's a crusty thing that melts and covers it and cooks in the oven or in the pan.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Herb crust.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

raditts posted:

...Why wouldn't you expect to be paid for something that you contributed to and has your name / image on it? I mean, no doubt they have to sign a completely gently caress-you contract to even be considered to be on the show, but why on earth would you just assume that "well we're putting you on TV, really you should be paying us" is a non-insane stance to take? Do you look at job listings that say "You won't be paid but you can use this project as a resume builder" and say "yeah, that seems reasonable"?

I wouldn't expect it because it's never promoted that way. You also get $250K in addition to the non-paid cookbook as part of the prize. Would it be better or more fair if it were promoted as we'll pay you $250K to write a cookbook? Or you got no cash prize and instead got a normal deal to publish the cookbook? I don't know how normal book publishing deals go, but I would think that those, too, are more tilted in favor to the publisher than the author.

How much is the experience of being on MasterChef itself worth? What reason did you go on MasterChef for in the first place? If you take the word of so many of the contestants they want to make food their life in some way. Or maybe you're like Leslie and just want to learn stuff from a guy like Gordon. I'm extrapolating a bit from the way MasterChef Australia is run, but you probably get Gordon and Graham and sometimes Joe teaching you stuff, plus any other chefs they bring in. If you get through a decent part of the competition you get a fair bit of experience from chefs who you at least know aren't poo poo. In the real world of restaurants don't cooks want to stage and do what amounts to unpaid work experience to learn at highly regarded restaurants?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I could have told you fools Joy wasn't going to make it all along.

And Francis B wasn't remotely close to winning the other one. Remember, I've already told you the winner is Big Willie in a come from behind Victoria over the stripper.

The loud ginger is winning HK. He makes poo poo during challenges but never fucks up service. Though that one is harder to predict. I'll be honest and say I couldn't make a call till top 6 but then I had made up my mind. I did peg Joy for runner up though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Isn't there some kind of industry minimum that reality TV stars have to be paid, or does that not apply because they aren't in the actors union or whatever?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Bob Morales posted:

Isn't there some kind of industry minimum that reality TV stars have to be paid, or does that not apply because they aren't in the actors union or whatever?

I think so. I did a commercial for my company. Got paid a cool $1.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

benisntfunny posted:

Big Willie in a come from behind Victoria over the stripper.

Pause.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

SAG-AFTRA minimum is ~$750/week.
Reality shows fall in this range.

Time for Hell's Kitchen: Master Chef

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
As I've finally remembered that this is on, and done with everything else today, I'll hop in on this livewatch.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Robnoxious posted:

Time for Hell's Kitchen: Master Chef
Seems early this year. I think they usually do this during the top 10.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Here is your team captain shirt curtain, Big Willy.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
"Everybody knows that girls rule and guys drool." :haw:

:ughh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Oh Courtney. I kinda like chicks with big schnozzes for some dumb reason

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Here comes the AARP Booster Club to get their free meal.

I bet they'll still demand a discount.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Robnoxious posted:

I bet they'll still demand a discount.

Somehow they'll manage to take their Masterchef dollar and only tip a couple of Masterchef quarters.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Willie is over his head...

That means blue team will win once he gets going from a slow start and red team implodes.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Oh Courtney. I kinda like chicks with big schnozzes for some dumb reason
Size queen. :v:

I was watching Chopped on The Food Network yesterday, and that's the show MS should be. It starts with 4 contestants, and they cook 3 courses (appetizer, entree, dessert) mystery box style for three judges. Each course eliminates one chef and the final course is the top two. Winner takes 10 grand. It's simple, drama-free, and you actually watch the thought process as they create their dishes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Courtney's job is described as an "aerial dancer".

Is that some sort of zero gravity stripper?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I always hated these things on this show, this isn't Hell's Kitchen. Like who gives a poo poo if Leslie is a bad line cook or Willie doesn't know how to expedite.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I always hated these things on this show, this isn't Hell's Kitchen. Like who gives a poo poo if Leslie is a bad line cook or Willie doesn't know how to expedite.
I feel this way about all of the team challenges. The mystery box weeks are far superior.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Agreed; this has nothing to do with anything.

Do Graham and Willie sh--waitaminute, are Willie's glasses missing lenses?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

THE CHICKEN IS RAAAAAAAAWR!

And a "Shut it down!"

What show are we watching?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What about that poo poo where they would make people cut up potatoes and if you were too slow or couldn't make the same size pieces they sent you home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

We counted the tips. The producers told us how many tips they wanted.