Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
holttho
May 21, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

So let's say I left a vacsealed piece of thawed pork belly in my fridge for 5 days, because I am not very smart. Still ok to bacon with, or should I get another?

Give it a big whiff. If you cant immediately tell anything off, it's perfectly fine to use. Even if it wasn't vacuum sealed, 5 days isn't really that long. If new air can't get to it, there is little that can go wrong. I would be surprised if you could even tell a texture difference at the end.

Of course, if it smells like an old sock...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

So there is a kickstarter for a meat drying fridge : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1343942869/steaklocker-the-first-in-home-dry-age-steak-fridge

Pros: Humidity controller, purpose built
Cons: Expensive. $555 Early bird to $675 full-price. Not really sure if it'd do a better job than a wine fridge or a mini-fridge with a fan in it that I've seen suggested before.

This has already been posted in two other threads, Gear thread by me and Steak thread by Steve Yun. But this seemed like another appropriate place to bring attention to it for discussion.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Subjunctive posted:

So let's say I left a vacsealed piece of thawed pork belly in my fridge for 5 days, because I am not very smart. Still ok to bacon with, or should I get another?

It's fine, vac sealed stuff will last a long drat time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

It's fine, vac sealed stuff will last a long drat time.

Hmm, in that case I also have some beef cheeks from Mother's Day weekend 5 weeks ago? Adventure!

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

.Z. posted:

So there is a kickstarter for a meat drying fridge : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1343942869/steaklocker-the-first-in-home-dry-age-steak-fridge

Cons: Expensive. $555 Early bird to $675 full-price. Not really sure if it'd do a better job than a wine fridge or a mini-fridge with a fan in it that I've seen suggested before.

This has already been posted in two other threads, Gear thread by me and Steak thread by Steve Yun. But this seemed like another appropriate place to bring attention to it for discussion.

Welp, this has peaked interest.

Now which backing level do I want to do, hmm?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

.Z. posted:

Happen to have any info on a DIY solution?

holttho
May 21, 2007

A mini fridge with a pan of water in the bottom. Works surprisingly well. For extra oomph, add a UV sterilizing lamp

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I've done plenty of bacon before (delicious by the way), but I'm interested in expanding to meats that need to be hung and dried. How important is the humidity level for something like a duck prosciutto that isn't going to be hanging for super long? I'm a homebrewer and I don't have space for yet another fridge, unfortunately.

holttho
May 21, 2007

It can range from 'fairly important' to 'critical'. If the humidity is too low, the outside of the meat will case harden, forming a fairly impenetrable barrier. If this happens, the water from the inside can't go anywhere and you will end up with a spoilage prone product. Since the water can only move so fast inside mead via osmosis, you have to balance that with the rate of evaporation. So long as Δwater through the meat is equal to Δwater off of the surface, everything will work out for the best.

For things that only hang for a short time (thin and small things like duck prosciutto) it isn't as big of a deal as there simply isn't enough time for the outside to become like leather. For something that sits for weeks or months, it is the single most important thing that the water inside can get out.

A simple thing to do is to just drape a damp paper towel or cheese cloth on top of your meat for the first half of its hang time. That has served me well.

flesy
May 6, 2007
y=mx+b
What do you guys eat the duck proscuitto with? It's fine but needs something to go along with it. It came out alright with Ruhlmans recipe but obviously needs something to go along with it, what kind of salad or cheese is good? It's hard to eat a lot of it by itsself!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

flesy posted:

What do you guys eat the duck proscuitto with? It's fine but needs something to go along with it. It came out alright with Ruhlmans recipe but obviously needs something to go along with it, what kind of salad or cheese is good? It's hard to eat a lot of it by itsself!

This time of year I like it wrapped around cantaloupe.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?
I pair pretty much any type of charcuterie with various pickles / cheese / mustard / baguette.

Oh and wine... lots of wine.

MiTEG
Mar 3, 2005
not stupid, just lazy

flesy posted:

Experiment! I made six duck breasts worth of prosciutto a couple months ago and had fun trying it with different flavor combinations. Some of my favorites:

fig bruschetta with duck prosciutto, arugula and balsamic reduction
burrata bruschetta with duck prosciutto and caramelized balsamic onions
mixed green salad with duck prosciutto, candied walnuts, dried cranberries & balsamic vinaigrette

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MiTEG posted:

Experiment! I made six duck breasts worth of prosciutto a couple months ago and had fun trying it with different flavor combinations. Some of my favorites:

mixed green salad with duck prosciutto, candied walnuts, dried cranberries & balsamic vinaigrette

I think there's your answer.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

You know, I was thinking of making whiskey bacon. I was unsure how to do it. Until now.

Please excuse me if I steal this recipe to use in my bacon.

MiTEG posted:

I know of a friend that uses it in tacos.

smilingfish fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 20, 2014

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Musket posted:

Tools needed:

Mortar and pestle
Silicon cupcake holders
Baking Pan
Oven
Timer
Rocksalt

Set oven to its lowest temp setting. Mine is 200f. Pour about 1/2 ounce of bourbon into each silicon cupcake tin you want to use. I use 8 for a total of 4oz used. Place silicon cups on baking tray and place in oven. I tend to keep the rack about mid-way from top and bottom for this.

Leave it alone for 12-18hours. Your oven may vary. You want the lowest setting for this to work. You know you are done when you are left with a crystal formation at the bottom of those silicon cups.

Extract crystallized bourbon from baking cups and place in mortar.

Add very coarse rocksalt. (I have used smoked salt and regular sea salt in rock form. I personally like the smoked sea salt for this.)

Beat to coarse table salt size or to preference. Use as much or as little of the crystallized bourbon as you feel is needed. Start off light, this flavor is potent. Bourbon salt goes a long way. If you are making a curing salt, go hog wild a bit on the Bourbon amounts you will mix in. You want that flavor to seep in. If you are making a table salt or want to use this as a garnish or dessert salt, go light on the bourbon crystals.

Recommended Bourbons based on my use:

Buffalo Trace, Bulliet Rye, Temperance (is pure poo poo bourbon, so feel free to waste this as much as you want) Angels Envy, Makers 46. You want to use a quality bourbon here. One for the salt, One for the Cook.

Okay, I tried this the other day, all I was left with was a stain in the bottom of my cupcake holders. I'm wondering what I did wrong.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

smilingfish posted:

Okay, I tried this the other day, all I was left with was a stain in the bottom of my cupcake holders. I'm wondering what I did wrong.

Is what my cupcake holders look like when its all done, you lose most of the liquid.

ickna
May 19, 2004

It might be easier to extract from the bottom of the cup if you dissolve some salt in the bourbon before evaporation, so that it sticks to the salt crystals.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Anyone got a good salt beef recipe? Charcuterie only has corned beef/pastrami that I can see and all the salt beef I've bought is pretty different to it

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

ickna posted:

It might be easier to extract from the bottom of the cup if you dissolve some salt in the bourbon before evaporation, so that it sticks to the salt crystals.

The crystals just fall out of those silicon cups. If its goopy, they are not done. 12-18hours depending on the lowest temp setting. Could even go longer if your oven is picky.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Finally making bacon! I am very excited, even if I did end up paying way too much for the belly.

I didn't have the nutmeg, but I have high hopes nonetheless. High, impatient hopes.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Finally making bacon! I am very excited, even if I did end up paying way too much for the belly.

How much per pound?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

atothesquiz posted:

How much per pound?

Like $15, IIRC.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Like $15, IIRC.

Holy poo poo that's highway robbery. Dude, that's more expensive than a prime ribeye.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Holy poo poo that's highway robbery. Dude, that's more expensive than a prime ribeye.

I was expecting $7, maybe $8. Surely you can source it somewhere else for cheaper. Even mail order has to be cheaper than that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Where do you live that it's $15 /lb.

loving 'foodies' driving up prices of random poo poo I imagine.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Breaky posted:

Where do you live that it's $15 /lb.

loving 'foodies' driving up prices of random poo poo I imagine.

Yeah tongue here is now 6-7 bucks a pound and a beef heart will run you almost 10 bucks. They charge 8 dollars a pound for beef cheek meat! I flipped my poo poo when they raised the price of soup bones and Ox tail to 7 dollars a pound as well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Actually, it was only $9/lb, my wife apparently threw in some short ribs at the same time.

But I'd be willing to pay $15/lb for really awesome bacon, I guess, so it's OK in the end anyway.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Been aging this according to Ruhlman. It had some maggots on it near the bone but I cut all of that out as you can see. Is it all right?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

icehewk posted:

Been aging this according to Ruhlman. It had some maggots on it near the bone but I cut all of that out as you can see. Is it all right?

I uh, wow.

It certainly doesn't look alright, how long has it been aging and how does it smell?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons > Charcuterie: it had some maggots on it near the bone but I cut all of that out

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is that a human limb? WHAT DID YOU DO?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

icehewk posted:

Green mold, throw it out. Check your poo poo daily next time!

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

icehewk posted:

How did you end up with a human leg in your fridge, must be a good story

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
You waited too long to do the smart thing when the officials start asking questions.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I retract my previous statement, eat it and let us know how that goes. Maybe you'll hallucinate from the many types of fungus present.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Oh... Oh my...

Yea, that will be pure poison. You have green and black mold on that. Sorry to say, but that is 20 pounds for the trash can.

Did you not check on it frequently? Or did you just forget it in the basement for a few months?

Maggots going down by the bone would indicate that there was zero salt there.

I'm sorry, but,

But don't let this discourage you. Just be more attentive the next round

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I'm in awe that someone can see maggots on a piece of meat and think "it's still good!". This isn't casu marzu we're talking about here.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Really though, is that a human leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

goodness posted:

Really though, is that a human leg.

It is

• Locked thread