Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
My hometown paper, which unfortunately is also Scott Lively's hometown paper, had an article about Oliver's segment featuring some choice quotes from Lively

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/07/springfield_pastor_scott_livel.html

quote:

"I find it funny that lefties like John Oliver who pose as humanitarians are the masters at dehumanizing other people through ridicule and never give the subjects of their smears a fair chance to respond," said Lively. "Oliver is lying through selective editing. ... His show was one continuous stream of malicious LGBT propaganda in the guise of comedy."

Lively said in another interview that he doesn't support the harsh penalties for being gay in Uganda, to which Oliver said, "Of course not. You were simply saying, 'Look, guys. Gay people are dangerous, insidious Nazis. Do with that information what you will.'"

Lively lashed out at the editing of these clips and Oliver's treatment of his views.

"I'm calling out John Oliver as a liar and a fraud who couldn't go ten minutes with me in an unscripted, unedited debate," Lively said to MassLive.com. "Without his teleprompter and his cheap-shot, out-of-context video clips he would be exposed as just another left-wing loony."

Oliver interviewed a transgender Ugandan activist named Pepe Julian Onziema, who blamed the U.S. for the anti-gay laws.

Before they were enacted, "many of us have suffered from evictions, beatings on the street, arbitrary arrest and so on," said Onziema. But "that increased with (American) influence."

When Oliver jokingly apologized, Onziema replied, "Sorry doesn't cut it," and said he is "not exactly safe" in Uganda, but "I am not going to change out of fear."

"I look over my shoulder every day, but there's no other place I'd rather be," he said, adding that he intends to stay and fight the discrimination.

On his campaign website, Lively's autobiography says he received a doctor of law degree with special credentials in international human rights.

"(Oliver's segment) will likely negatively affect the voters, as it was intended to do," he said. "It's one more example of the 'politics of personal destruction' that Saul Alinsky taught the 'progressives,' including journalists, to practice," he added, referring to the political activist who wrote the book "Rules for Radicals."

"I have been selected by the powers-that-be in the progressive/LGBT community as their current target," said Lively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kevyn posted:

My hometown paper, which unfortunately is also Scott Lively's hometown paper, had an article about Oliver's segment featuring some choice quotes from Lively

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/07/springfield_pastor_scott_livel.html

Yup, that christian guy's still a douchebag.

Does Pepe feel he is a man, or does she feel she's a woman? I kinda assumed Pepe was a she and all the he's in the article seemed rather rude.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Drifter posted:

Yup, that christian guy's still a douchebag.

Does Pepe feel he is a man, or does she feel she's a woman? I kinda assumed Pepe was a she and all the he's in the article seemed rather rude.

FtM, so he's a he, as is his preference.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Kevyn posted:

quote:

"I'm calling out John Oliver as a liar and a fraud who couldn't go ten minutes with me in an unscripted, unedited debate,"

The Bugle would certainly show otherwise.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wish he'd take him up on that offer.

Except I suspect that Lively's strategy would just be to shout over the top of Oliver whenever he made a point.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MikeJF posted:

I wish he'd take him up on that offer.

Except I suspect that Lively's strategy would just be to shout over the top of Oliver whenever he made a point.

On the one hand, that guy clearly has no idea what he's in for.
On the other, not only is he not worth the time or attention but I doubt he would actually go on the show if invited since that reply sounds like the usual right-wing bloviating that whoever is his voting base will eat up unquestionably like so much poopoo.

It's pretty loving :laffo: that this guy of all loving people is crying about being dehumanized through misleading information, though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 2, 2014

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

raditts posted:

On the one hand, that guy clearly has no idea what he's in for.
On the other, not only is he not worth the time or attention but I doubt he would actually go on the show if invited since that reply sounds like the usual right-wing bloviating that whoever is his voting base will eat up unquestionably like so much poopoo.

It's pretty loving :laffo: that this guy of all loving people is crying about being dehumanized through misleading information, though.

Given the absolute insane reach that this show seems to have, he really doesn't have any idea what he's in for.

Surly Duff
May 6, 2007

Surly only looks out for one guy -- Surly.
Funny, we had a segment of this show dedicated to the point that one on one debates with people with fringe views is disingenuous and unproductive.

The "unscripted, unedited debate" is a favorite tactic of supporters of fringe beliefs: young earth creationists, climate change strangers, and extreme homophobes like this guy. The strategy is to unleash a torrent of bullshit so rapid that your opponent can't refute all of it, which lets you claim that they "don't have all the answers". It's a win-win situation: you get publicity, to pander to your base, and if the opponent gets a good burn on you, you just get to claim you're the victim of the liberal intolerance propaganda machine or whatever.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Lively is an awful human being but Uganda almost had the death penalty for its LGBT citizens and I can believe that Lively didn't support that because that's insane even by normal bigot standards.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Kevyn posted:

The hilarious bit about this is that either the article omitted them (which is then on them rather than Oliver), or Lively never actually bothered to counter anything in Oliver's rant other than the fact that he had made the rant and painted Lively negatively. I mean geez, this will sound weird, but Bill O'Reilly at least when called out on his bullshit can at least be bothered to try and specifically counter points raised against him. Here, what is Lively actually saying other than 'John was mean and tried to paint me like I'm crazy'?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Soylentbits posted:

Lively is an awful human being but Uganda almost had the death penalty for its LGBT citizens and I can believe that Lively didn't support that because that's insane even by normal bigot standards.

He was hardly the only one that went over there and encouraged that poo poo, IIRC quite a few congressmen that are part of that creepy "C Street" mini-cult played a part too. It's not that insane at all, it's a regular right-wing tactic. Go all extreme and spout out a bunch of crazy poo poo to get your audience all riled up and scared, then when one of them is inspired by you to commit murder you wring your hands and go all "oh no, that isn't what I meant at all, I have no part in this tragic event."

See also: that piece of poo poo Bill O'Reilly and his "Tiller the Baby Killer" meme.

Wikipedia posted:

Tiller was also discussed in 28 episodes of the Fox News talk show The O'Reilly Factor before his death in May 2009, focusing national attention on his practice. Although he later denied it, show host Bill O'Reilly sometimes described him as "Tiller the Baby Killer," a nickname that Congressman Robert K. Dornan had used on the floor of the US House of Representatives. O'Reilly said he would not want to be Tiller, Kathleen Sebelius, and other pro-choice Kansas politicians "if there is a judgment day."[8] On November 3, 2006, O'Reilly featured an exclusive segment on The O'Reilly Factor, saying that he had an "inside source" with official clinic documentation indicating that Tiller performed late-term abortions to alleviate "temporary depression" in pregnant woman.[9] He characterized the doctor as "a savage on the loose, killing babies willy-nilly," and accused him of "operating a death mill," and of protecting the rapists of children. He suggested that Tiller performed abortions for women who had "a bit of a headache or anxiety" or who felt "a bit blue."[10]

Don't defend these vile loving wastes of humanity.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

raditts posted:

He was hardly the only one that went over there and encouraged that poo poo, IIRC quite a few congressmen that are part of that creepy "C Street" mini-cult played a part too. It's not that insane at all, it's a regular right-wing tactic. Go all extreme and spout out a bunch of crazy poo poo to get your audience all riled up and scared, then when one of them is inspired by you to commit murder you wring your hands and go all "oh no, that isn't what I meant at all, I have no part in this tragic event."

See also: that piece of poo poo Bill O'Reilly and his "Tiller the Baby Killer" meme.

Don't defend these vile loving wastes of humanity.

...drat, I take back what I said. I mean, yeah he sometimes defends himself but... Jesus loving Christ. Wasn't aware of this.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Japan: Nothing but blood colored school girls.

HOLY poo poo! AKB48 IS MILITARY PROPAGANDA!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Good to know sexting transcends time

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Top That JFK and Clinton.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Good old Jerry and his love letters

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Liberals: Pure grammar NAZIS

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

This is America!!

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I know income inequality and how impossible it is to discuss is a serious problem, but I'm still stuck on the fact that a man literally named "Harding" didn't use that when naming his penis.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

drat this is depressing

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

How big of a bubble do you live in where that is shocking?

Edit: i'm talking about the gently caress hat Guy segment.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 14, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

How big of a bubble do you live in where that is shocking?

I know but it's depressing being reminded.

Also gently caress that guy

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
#BetterCIATweets has already got some great stuff.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

My office does some very limited estate planning work (writing basic wills and trusts) for some of our clients. It's amazing how many people (old people) ask about the "death tax". Do you have more than five million dollars? No? Then don't worry about it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
SO with that beer/FIFA story, did anything actually happen as a result of it? Were there riots or murders in Brazil beyond the norm? I don't remember hearing anything about it.

Seems like it went off and was okay. But I guess you gotta followup your jokes.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I found the plane!

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

#BetterCIATweets has already got some great stuff.

:ohdear:

Really enjoying the freeform nature of the show. Longform segments are awesome and they're clearly having fun ignoring structure and just spending as much time as they need for solid jokes and well presented arguments.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 14, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Ape Agitator posted:

:ohdear:

Really enjoying the freeform nature of the show. Longform segments are awesome and they're clearly having fun ignoring structure and just spending as much time as they need for solid jokes and well presented arguments.

And then finally if a breather is needed, "And now, this." Because gently caress that guy.

An article I found suspected that part of what may be helping John succeed is that he uses his British origins as a means of self-deprecation, both bringing him down whilst also introducing how certain aspects of American society seem from an outside perspective. The bit where he explains on how Britons tend to know roughly what class they're in and base their plans ahead on that (though there is some social mobility, as my own parents have proved) is a good example of both at the same time.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Postal Parcel posted:

Japan: Nothing but blood colored school girls.

HOLY poo poo! AKB48 IS MILITARY PROPAGANDA!

Simpsons did it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Even though the show is very similar to Daily Show, I am still surprised how quickly Oliver found his groove hosting the show and finding a tone.

He basically hit the ground running.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm an american who spent two years living in London for university and I was crying in laugher watching the last episode.

It is hard to overstate just how different america treats class. I remember drinking with several british friends and asking how you define class. Because in america, we all know what to say - money defines it.

But my british friend, solidly middle class, said it was entirely related to where your parents were. Parents poor? You're poor, even if you have a million quid in the bank.

"What if I won the lottery?" I asked.

"Then you're a fluke."

"What if I got into a new industry at EXACTLY the right time, and hopped onto an economic boom?"

"Well, if you made lots of money, maybe you could send your kids to better schools. Then THEY would be able to change their 'class.' "

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ufarn posted:

Even though the show is very similar to Daily Show, I am still surprised how quickly Oliver found his groove hosting the show and finding a tone.

He basically hit the ground running.

He hit the ground running in part because he's basically settled into making a video version of the Bugle, which is the best possible thing he could've done.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
gently caress that guy is only a couple steps removed from a fuckeulogy

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm an american who spent two years living in London for university and I was crying in laugher watching the last episode.

It is hard to overstate just how different america treats class. I remember drinking with several british friends and asking how you define class. Because in america, we all know what to say - money defines it.

But my british friend, solidly middle class, said it was entirely related to where your parents were. Parents poor? You're poor, even if you have a million quid in the bank.

"What if I won the lottery?" I asked.

"Then you're a fluke."

"What if I got into a new industry at EXACTLY the right time, and hopped onto an economic boom?"

"Well, if you made lots of money, maybe you could send your kids to better schools. Then THEY would be able to change their 'class.' "

Also if you become poor you are still always upper class. Which the temporary-embarrassed American millionaires need to learn. It would improve America.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Joliver: "And now this."
Narrator: "And now..."

Annoys me every time. But the show is still great.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The cutaway segments are there in place of the commercial breaks a broadcast/basic cable show would have. He has to say something or the cutaway would be sort of awkward.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sbaldrick posted:

Also if you become poor you are still always upper class. Which the temporary-embarrassed American millionaires need to learn. It would improve America.

Snooty rich AND snooty poors? America couldn't stand it.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

hcreight posted:

The cutaway segments are there in place of the commercial breaks a broadcast/basic cable show would have. He has to say something or the cutaway would be sort of awkward.

So you just have the cutaway video not say "and now..." and you get the best of both worlds, right?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
John ALSO had experience hosting The Daily Show for that bunch of time, although he went into that as effectively as he did LWT as well. He's just a really great performer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I started listening to old episodes of The Bugle because I can't get enough of this show. It's great but I'm already a little bored of Andy making stuff up. Talking out of his rear end (obviously so; he isn't trying to actually make us believe these things) is like his main source of humor.

• Locked thread