Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
It's pretty funny how tan the characters get between the pilot and the second episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Yeah, I really liked the first episode in spite of it being cliche as gently caress, but this one seemed really drat off. The whole shooting child soldiers thing just seemed thrown in and then it was back to Barry and the rear end in a top hat family, whether it's his stupid American one or his psychotic Middle-Eastern one.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Shitenshi posted:

Yeah, I really liked the first episode in spite of it being cliche as gently caress, but this one seemed really drat off. The whole shooting child soldiers thing just seemed thrown in and then it was back to Barry and the rear end in a top hat family, whether it's his stupid American one or his psychotic Middle-Eastern one.

"Hey, I gave these kids my word they wouldn't be killed. Let me conveniently turn my back and walk away from them instead of staying close to them to ward off their almost certain summary execution like I *actually* gave a gently caress in the first place."

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Hey, I gave these kids my word they wouldn't be killed. Let me conveniently turn my back and walk away from them instead of staying close to them to ward off their almost certain summary execution like I *actually* gave a gently caress in the first place."
Ha, I honestly didn't even notice that. I was jerking around on some other sites while halfway listening and turning my head every now and then. I know this show derives most of its appeal from controversy, but wow.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or perhaps he is smart enough to know that the only real way to save them is to plead with someone in a position of power, rather than stand by them for a couple hours before they get taken away and executed regardless.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Acquilae posted:

That's the first time I've ever seen children being executed on TV.

Lost was ahead of its time.

wind8ws
Jan 6, 2008
Majestic historian
W

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't remember the last show I watched where I hated every. single. character. this much.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
House of Cards, Mad Men, Homeland.

Will watch till El Jefe's wife gets killed. Shes all kinds of milf.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't remember the last show I watched where I hated every. single. character. this much.

Homeland could have been improved dramatically had all the children on that show been disposed of on-screen with the disgusting, brutal swiftness that Tyrant featured in it's 2nd ever episode.

EDIT: Grammar edit.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 4, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

So I take it you missed out on Under the Dome? :shepface:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Toplowtech posted:

If it actually ends up having a "barry's wife is CIA" or a "barry's wife was working with his mother all along" reveal, i will laugh and laugh and laugh... No seriously, i don't get his wife's behavior at all so it's probably going to be some terrible reveal.

She's really the worst character I've seen on TV in a long loving time. I don't even know what the writers could possibly be trying to accomplish by making her so offensively, aggressively ignorant and naive. It doesn't help that Barry's behavior is pretty much completely nonsensical too.

edit- worst part of the show was still the horrifically hamfisted "promise me we'll come back" foreshadowing in literally the first five minutes of the first episode.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 4, 2014

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Personally the only main thing about Homeland that I disliked was the Brody family arcs, and I know that a lot of people feel the same way. That being said the show overall is very good in my opinion and I don't understand all the hate for it.

This shows seems to be a similar style show and I am very excited to watch the rest of the episodes. So far the white daughter is a little dumb, the white wife is annoying and stupid, and the gay-in-arabic country arc has potential..but none of the family stuff seems to be going as hard and deep as the Brody family crap so far..let's hope they took notes on what not to do.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah I don't really understand what people don't find entertaining about the show in general either. The family is currently unbearable I can see the tale of a tyrant rising to power having potential in the manner it's currently told.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Because everybody is an idiot.

Barry wants to save the terrorists but knew his uncle wanted to kill them so he browalks out and is then surprised they're killed?
Barry's brother thought it would be a good idea to rape a woman while driving a sports car speeding around mountains.
Barry's wife has an IQ of 50.
Barry's son thinks it's a good idea to have a casual gay fling with a high profile person in a country that'll at best imprison him for it, at worst kill him.

It's only 2 episodes so it can recover but this is certainly on track to being an amazingly lovely show.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Xoidanor posted:

Yeah I don't really understand what people don't find entertaining about the show in general either. The family is currently unbearable I can see the tale of a tyrant rising to power having potential in the manner it's currently told.

I think most people picked this show because the premise of some guy becoming dictator of a country is interesting, but in order for such a story to connect in any level with the audience, we either have to:
1. care about the guy.
2. care about the country.

So far, the show hasn't really managed either.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Midnight City posted:

Because everybody is an idiot.

Barry wants to save the terrorists but knew his uncle wanted to kill them so he browalks out and is then surprised they're killed?
Barry's brother thought it would be a good idea to rape a woman while driving a sports car speeding around mountains.
Barry's wife has an IQ of 50.
Barry's son thinks it's a good idea to have a casual gay fling with a high profile person in a country that'll at best imprison him for it, at worst kill him.

It's only 2 episodes so it can recover but this is certainly on track to being an amazingly lovely show.

i was reading barry as brady and thought you were making GBS threads on morena baccarin so i went grabbed a pic of her from google and im just going to post it anyways

re: your last point: I was under the impression closeted homosexuality is actually pretty common throughout the middle east

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Any excuse to post Morena is okay with me

Some Middle East countries are okay with it as long as you stay super closeted about it, but his son is basically making googley eyes at each other in public and we both know it's 99.9% headed towards some huge backlash story line when people find out.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Midnight City posted:

Some Middle East countries are okay with it as long as you stay super closeted about it, but his son is basically making googley eyes at each other in public and we both know it's 99.9% headed towards some huge backlash story line when people find out.

Wife: "Barry, why would they hate our son for being gay? What are they doing with all those stones?"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
If this means the family is going back to their home planet by the end of this episode I will consider it a huge step in the right direction

If some plot contrivance keeps them in the country by the end of the episode, this series is beyond redemption

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

DarklyDreaming posted:

If this means the family is going back to their home planet by the end of this episode I will consider it a huge step in the right direction

If some plot contrivance keeps them in the country by the end of the episode, this series is beyond redemption

There's no way theyre leaving.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I'm really hoping Jamal isn't just going to be a doormat for his brother all season.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

There's no way theyre leaving.

Perhaps the show producers will realize that their writing staff is incompetent, fire them, and hire GRRM wannabes.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Better than last week's ep but still missing something that made the pilot memorable. I just hope we get Jamal out of the way quickly because he's so extreme that they can't use him for much longer without dragging him out.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

JohnSherman posted:

I'm really hoping Jamal isn't just going to be a doormat for his brother all season.

If Jamal isn't dead by either fratricide or assassination before the end of the season I'll need to find a hat to eat.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"I just found out my brother raped a woman (probably *women*) and made her husband and children listen while he did it, so naturally the most rational reaction is to *beg* my non-Muslim wife and children to stay in a country full of revolutionaries that will kill them as soon as look at them simply to hurt me."

"Oh, bro - let's release all those guys who've been tortured to the point of near-insanity to show how *progressive* you are." :jihad:

"I'm making it safe!" :derp:

Uh huh.

Could've lived without seeing Chubby's rear end, too. Thanks, camera guy.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 9, 2014

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
What the gently caress?

Hey we found this terrorist leader, put him into prison but he is not responsible for the latest terrorist attack so we let him go?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

GaussianCopula posted:

What the gently caress?

Hey we found this terrorist leader, put him into prison but he is not responsible for the latest terrorist attack so we let him go?

I don't know if he's actually done anything besides making videos denouncing the government though. And he's a terrible terrorist since he apparently told his uncle, who he knows collaborates with the government, the location of his hiding spot.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

gret posted:

I don't know if he's actually done anything besides making videos denouncing the government though. And he's a terrible terrorist since he apparently told his uncle, who he knows collaborates with the government, the location of his hiding spot.

Well he had a lot of heavy weapons in his hideout. That atleast should be enough to keep him in prison.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

gret posted:

Worse, his hiding spot was his uncles business.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I like some aspects of this show but yeah, the characters are dumb as poo poo. Except the daughter, she has the right idea about the situation "LETS GTFO HERE WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE"

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

Xoidanor posted:

Worse, his hiding spot was his uncles business.

Is that definitely where they were? I actually thought perhaps they'd thrown stun grenades etc in (as we saw) but they'll find the place empty...because if that was just them being captured then it felt incredibly lame.

I wonder if he's using his uncle's connection to purposely get arrested to get close to the royal family. I'm not sure if I can be bothered to keep watching and see what's going to happen :(

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

I like some aspects of this show but yeah, the characters are dumb as poo poo. Except the daughter, she has the right idea about the situation "LETS GTFO HERE WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE"

"Don't stick your dick in that guy."

"Why, what's gonna happen? We're like untouchable here." :smug:

*both dudes get stoned to death, with Barry casting the first rock because it's ~tradition~ or something, leading to...*

"WHY DID YOU KILL OUR CHILD?!?!?! Help me ~understaaaand~ or I think we're *done*."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 10, 2014

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"WHY DID YOU KILL OUR CHILD?!?!"

"I told you we shouldn't have come."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can't remember the main guy's name. He's a nothing personality with a boring face. His dumb wife and kids are more memorable.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't remember the main guy's name. He's a nothing personality with a boring face. His dumb wife and kids are more memorable.

It's Barry! Just like another guy who once anglicized his name to fit in!

...though I'm *sure* that wasn't the writer's intent. :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 11, 2014

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

How exactly did Barry afford a boarding school if he ran away from home?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

JohnSherman posted:

How exactly did Barry afford a boarding school if he ran away from home?

Like many Mid-east dictators' children, his family probably paid for tuition in a major American university and he just cut all ties after having the means to work as a doctor. Unless he ran away when he was sixteen or younger then yes it's a plot hole.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Glad Barry's lovely advice backfired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
his dick was bit off less than two weeks ago and he's already jerking it?

• Locked thread