Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

mind the walrus posted:

It was like one off-hand line about the PDA he was using. Sue or someone asks him why he doesn't market the PDA and he says "Sony paid me $300 million dollars not to release it to the public."

Ah, now that seems familiar

Rhyno posted:

I know it's not the same story but this is how I want Ben to look at all times

I think that is the same story actually

EDIT: I think he ended up wearing a pinky ring with an absurdly large diamond as well

EDIT x2: It's basically Reed in a nutshell - he isn't the kind of rear end in a top hat who will steal from you; he makes certain you get your fair share. He's just enough of an rear end in a top hat that you don't rate as important enough to be told about your fair share.

EDIT x3: wow, more I think about it that really is Reed. "It's important because it impacts how I view myself, whether I give you what you deserve/whether I feel guilt for your transformation into a monster. But impacting your actual quality of life? eh, gently caress it."

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rhyno posted:

I know it's not the same story but this is how I want Ben to look at all times

I can only hope he changed his codename to Scrooge McBrick.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

Nope. He just opens a channel between the target and the source, he isn't the source himself. In keeping with Newton's 3rd Law the force is felt by the emitter in the other dimension and the target, not by him

Think of it like you have a length of pipe with a pump on one end, a water wheel on the other, and a valve in the middle. Scott's eyes are the valve. The pipe doesn't experience the impulse (in an ideal system) because the barycenter for the impulse is in the pump.

I may be loving up explaining this, but the point is the channel doesn't receive the force unless it interacts with the system (by, say, changing the vector of the force particles) because it isn't one of the interacting bodies, so Scott doesn't have perpetual whiplash.

So... whenever he blinks, the inside of his eyelids are getting constantly punched?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As stupid as that sounds I'd genuinely like to see him say that he feels that after Logan bitches about how popping his claws hurts.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

I think this was the plot of one of those Exiles-type alternate worlds. On that world, they convinced Cyclops or someone like him to voluntarily sacrifice the rest of his life to become a clean energy source. What's one life for the all the lives that will be saved and all the pollution that won't happen and all that? And then when he wears out, they ask the same thing of the next hero with a similar power and so on and so forth until they start getting greedy and run out of powered-people and then start pulling duplicate Cyclops out of other dimensions and pretty soon you've got a dystopia.

So you're saying they hit peak Cyclops?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"I'm keeping it warm with my face" :3:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MikeJF posted:

A good proportion of mutants could solve the planet's energy crises solo.

This is what Genosha was doing with their nerve-stapled "mutates". (At least, that's what I remember from when Genosha first appeared.)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

So... whenever he blinks, the inside of his eyelids are getting constantly punched?

Sure, but Cyclops is immune to the effects of his own beams, because his body naturally generates a psionic field attuned to the blasts frequency, allowing him to absorb them without harm. That's also why he and Alex (his brother) are immune to each other's blasts, they share the same frequency. He uses a visor made of ruby quartz because that material resonates at the same frequency as his body's psionic field, allowing it to likewise absorb the blasts without damage.

He isn't completely immune to Vulcan's powers, though, maybe because the space-travel and growth acceleration caused some sort of frequency drift?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Sure, but Cyclops is immune to the effects of his own beams, because his body naturally generates a psionic field attuned to the blasts frequency, allowing him to absorb them without harm. That's also why he and Alex (his brother) are immune to each other's blasts, they share the same frequency. He uses a visor made of ruby quartz because that material resonates at the same frequency as his body's psionic field, allowing it to likewise absorb the blasts without damage.

He isn't completely immune to Vulcan's powers, though, maybe because the space-travel and growth acceleration caused some sort of frequency drift?

Why does so much gobbledygook have to get written to explain a dude shooting eye beams?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Because the target audience is nerds.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Bakanogami posted:

Why does so much gobbledygook have to get written to explain a dude shooting eye beams?

Because as you can see in this very thread, people can't suspend their disbelief and must have a complicated explanation as to how Newton's Laws can be reconciled with comicbook powers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Nope. He just opens a channel between the target and the source, he isn't the source himself. In keeping with Newton's 3rd Law the force is felt by the emitter in the other dimension and the target, not by him

Think of it like you have a length of pipe with a pump on one end, a water wheel on the other, and a valve in the middle. Scott's eyes are the valve. The pipe doesn't experience the impulse (in an ideal system) because the barycenter for the impulse is in the pump.

I may be loving up explaining this, but the point is the channel doesn't receive the force unless it interacts with the system (by, say, changing the vector of the force particles) because it isn't one of the interacting bodies, so Scott doesn't have perpetual whiplash.

Yeah except Scott has used his optic blasts to slow his fall so his beams have to exert force back on his face.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It tends to get way too ridiculous but you do need some kind of explanation for what's going on or there won't be any rules or limitations to what the characters can do.

"Oh no, there's a tornado! Well I'll use my eyebeams to vapourize it!"
"Oh no, there's a fire! Well I'll use my eyebeams to smother it!"
"Oh no, this Senator has anti-mutant views! Well I'll use my eyebeams to hypnotize him!"

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Lobok posted:

It tends to get way too ridiculous but you do need some kind of explanation for what's going on or there won't be any rules or limitations to what the characters can do.

"Oh no, this Senator has anti-mutant views! Well I'll use my eyebeams to hypnotize him!"

I believe you've just describe Magneto.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lobok posted:

"The Silver Age".

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Because as you can see in this very thread, people can't suspend their disbelief and must have a complicated explanation as to how Newton's Laws can be reconciled with comicbook powers.

The explanation is actually quite simple: Newton was a mutant.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Chaos Hippy posted:

The explanation is actually quite simple: Newton was a mutant.

Newtant

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Pretty sure Scott has used the concussive force of his beams to put out a fire at least once, might have been in one of the cartoons though.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Lobok posted:

But there aren't limitations on what they can do. They'll just get a new set of rules if a writer wants powers to do something else.

And it's not like you can't set limitations without defined rules. It's far weirder that they have such an intrinsic understanding of how a mutation works when they're completely random.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

^^ Obviously with a serial medium that uses a revolving cast of creators nothing is going to stay set I'm stone but my point still stands. Readers and writers alike have to know on some level what to expect so you get explanations for how things work.

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Pretty sure Scott has used the concussive force of his beams to put out a fire at least once, might have been in one of the cartoons though.

You could, really. Concussive force could push away the oxygen or if the fire is small enough the blast could smother it. But yeah I knew from the example of Magneto that someone mentioned that my ideas probably weren't going to be all that far-off.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
from today's Ms. Marvel #6:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also from MM#6

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

In the post-9/11 Spider-Man comic, there's a panel where Cyclops is seen doing something that looks like welding I-beams. Or maybe cutting through them, but still. :argh:

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

prefect posted:

In the post-9/11 Spider-Man comic, there's a panel where Cyclops is seen doing something that looks like welding I-beams. Or maybe cutting through them, but still. :argh:

They probably just did it for the pun.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Does anyone have that drawing of the head of zombie Cyclops flying via eye-beam?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kramjacks posted:

They probably just did it for the pun.

:monocle:

(Yes, I didn't even realize it until you pointed it out. :cripes:)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My biggest personal pet peeve is when powers are so ill defined that someone like, say, Ice man can have trouble fighting a guy with a flamethrower one issue, and then freeze an overheating moon-sized spaceship's thermonuclear reactor 20 issues later by trying really hard. It feels like the writers sometimes treat the powersets the way certain people treat rules in an RPG: as something to exploit. "Where does it say specifically that Iceman can't extinguish a sun?"

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I always enjoyed Magneto for taking pretty a pretty simple but vague power to the nth level.

Even the early straightforward understanding of ferromagnetism would introduce wacky applications like controlling the iron in people's blood, but I can just imagine the excitement of the first writer who remembered his basic physics and realized that the electromagnetic force is involved with anything and everything.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lurdiak posted:

My biggest personal pet peeve is when powers are so ill defined that someone like, say, Ice man can have trouble fighting a guy with a flamethrower one issue, and then freeze an overheating moon-sized spaceship's thermonuclear reactor 20 issues later by trying really hard. It feels like the writers sometimes treat the powersets the way certain people treat rules in an RPG: as something to exploit. "Where does it say specifically that Iceman can't extinguish a sun?"

The major problem is having these things be continually ongoing stories/worlds. Eventually, it just makes narrative sense to have Punch-man overcome his fears and PUNCH THE UNPUNCHABLE ROCK, but then afterwords when you've got to tell more stories with the guy it's hard to deal with the fact that you had him overcome Thing which is The Ultimate Thing to Overcome.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

The major problem is having these things be continually ongoing stories/worlds. Eventually, it just makes narrative sense to have Punch-man overcome his fears and PUNCH THE UNPUNCHABLE ROCK, but then afterwords when you've got to tell more stories with the guy it's hard to deal with the fact that you had him overcome Thing which is The Ultimate Thing to Overcome.

That's a really bad example because that's basically all OPM is.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

The one that always gets me was Superman in the end of the World War III arc of Justice League where they fly off to fight Mageddon, and Superman flies to the core of Mageddon.

"Maggedon is powered by an Anti-Sun. I can absorb Sunlight, why not Anti-Sunlight?"

It would be like me saying "I can touch matter? Why not touch Anti-matter."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
One-Punch Man punched the unpunchable issue one and it's been great for ages!

EDIT: Goddamnit Senor Candle!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Archyduke posted:

from today's Ms. Marvel #6:

Absolutely unrealistic. There's no way in hell the most upvoted fanfic wouldn't have been Scott and Logan reconciling their differences with sex.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Senor Candle posted:

That's a really bad example because that's basically all OPM is.

I did not know this was a thing, and am upset at my own example.

My point still stands - there are limited options of what you can do if you want your character to SUCCEED AGAINST ALL ODDS, and then they have to go and be normal(ish) bros.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

zoux posted:

Also from MM#6

I'm sorry, but that's lame as gently caress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Absolutely unrealistic. There's no way in hell the most upvoted fanfic wouldn't have been Scott and Logan reconciling their differences with sex.

Omegaverse Cyclops :ohdear:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

I did not know this was a thing, and am upset at my own example.

My point still stands - there are limited options of what you can do if you want your character to SUCCEED AGAINST ALL ODDS, and then they have to go and be normal(ish) bros.

Someone's not a John Cena fan.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

mind the walrus posted:

I'm sorry, but that's lame as gently caress.

I've only read the first issue of that series, but from the context I don't think it's supposed to be a cool, hip pop culture reference. She's a dork, and that's adorable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phylodox posted:

I've only read the first issue of that series, but from the context I don't think it's supposed to be a cool, hip pop culture reference. She's a dork, and that's adorable.

I don't think you understand, I am a cultured adult and I hate memes very much, and letting everyone know I hate memes is very important to my self-image because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think you understand, I am a cultured adult and I hate memes very much, and letting everyone know I hate memes is very important to my self-image because

This but seriously :c00lbert:

• Locked thread