Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
In what world is 1.5 million "selling like poo poo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DiscoMouse posted:

When your previous game sold 4 million, and your sales expectations for this are similar or better.
They dropped their sales figure expectations three times - they were expecting this to earn mega-bucks.

We're in the age where something like Tomb Raider can shift 4 million copies, and have Square Enix say that it failed to reach sales expecatations.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 13, 2014

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
They never even said that they sold 1.5 million. In fact they never published any kind of sales figures publically, which is a pretty good sign that it sold like poo poo.

And in the current world of AAA games publishing, even 1.5 million is not enough to justify the kind of investment that these games require.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DiscoMouse posted:

The last capcom estimate was 1.15m so it definitely didn't sell 1.5m. Hell I doubt they broke 1mil.

Pesky Splinter posted:

They dropped their sales figure expectations three times - they were expecting this to earn mega-bucks.

Yea their starting estimate was 4mil, then dropped to 2mil, 1.5m and finally settled on 1.15m. :laugh:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

We're in the age where something like Tomb Raider can shift 4 million copies, and have Square Enix say that it failed to reach sales expecatations.

This is due to Square-Enix's mismanagement more than anything else, though.

I mean, not that Capcom is any better at that, but still.

DmC doesn't even look that great on PC compared to the console versions, there are like no graphics options. Literally the only advantage I can imagine a next-gen port having would be 60fps, which it should have been in the first place.

Says a lot about Capcom, though. We "vote with our wallets" for once and they just say "you're going to take this new franchise direction and you are going to like it."

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
My point is the sales definitely justify a low-rent current gen rerelease. 1.5 million is the most current sales figure, source: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
1.5 is selling like poo poo for AAA games, the series is dead and they aren't going to waste money up converting it.

Pesky Splinter posted:

They'd probably be better off just porting the HD collection and 4 if that's the case.
I've got to wonder at the logic of a rerelease for a game that's less than two years old, though. Assuming it's not just a rumour. But then again, this is Capcom, we're talking about. :v:

That seems more likely to me, though a long shot, the HD collection and 4 bundled as a download title mostly so an in house team can get some experience porting older games to the Bone & PS4. DmC might even get a straight downloadable port for the same reason but no way are they wasting time or money remastering it

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 13, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pirate Jet posted:

Says a lot about Capcom, though. We "vote with our wallets" for once and they just say "you're going to take this new franchise direction and you are going to like it."

"Sir, I've got this great idea for DMC5, and Itsuno wants to do another with his team it'll be great-"
"DmC rerelease!"
"What? But sir, that game was a loss, not to mention how toxic the reception was."
"DmC rerelease!"

DiscoMouse posted:

My point is the sales definitely justify a low-rent current gen rerelease. 1.5 million is the most current sales figure, source: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

They'd probably be better off just porting the HD collection and 4 if that's the case.
I've got to wonder at the logic of a rerelease for a game that's less than two years old, though. Assuming it's not just a rumour. But then again, this is Capcom, we're talking about. :v:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Pesky Splinter posted:

The latest Tomb Raider got a re-release for the new consoles, and doesn't The Last of Us and GTA5 have upcoming ones? So it's not an unknown thing to do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Well, Grand Theft Auto and the Last of Us.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Hel posted:

Wasn't there one boss in the first game that had their some attacks become invisible due to some graphical effects not firing in the remake?

Yes, Mundus 2 (aka the most difficult boss in the game on DMD mode who already has a lot of RNG bullshit attached) has an air slice/shockwave attack which is now invisible, at least on the PS3 version. As if I needed any more reasons to hate that boss. :v:

Still hoping they bring the HD collection to Steam, though. DMC3 deserves a proper PC port (so someone can mod in that sweet, sweet style-switching mechanic), and DMC1 is still an enjoyable game if you know what you're getting into. It has some awesome boss fights, and it just perfectly nailed DMD mode difficulty for me.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Hel posted:

Tomb Raider.
So it's not an unknown thing to do.

ImpAtom posted:

Well, Grand Theft Auto and the Last of Us.

Fair enough. It's the first I've heard of it - so that's why it's striking me as odd, I guess. :shobon:

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
My suspicion is that, if they are doing a port, it's because they have basically no resources left and are running a minimum ship at Ninja Theory.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why the gently caress would Capcom greenlight a DmC port when they won't even commit to a next-gen USF4 port?

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why the gently caress would Capcom greenlight a DmC port when they won't even commit to a next-gen USF4 port?

One possibility would be that it is relatively trivial to port an Unreal-based game from platform to platform, but probably somewhat harder for USF4. This is pure guesswork though, and we're not even certain they're doing a DmC port!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

What purpose would a port even justify?

"H-hey please buy a slightly better looking version of a game you didn't want the first time around" A port would only piss people off all over again and Capcom isn't in the best place right now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DmC would have done considerably better among the old fan base if Ninja Theory and Capcom were the slightest bit cordial with old fans rather than making it their mission to slag them off and make a point of pushing a strawman argument against any legitimate concerns voiced against the direction the gameplay was going in.

It was clear from the outset that they weren't interested in pandering to to DMC fans, which is okay, but what happened to DmC is exactly what happens when you pointedly alienate your existing fan base.

The only way Devil May Cry can recover from DmC is a full on entry made by Itsuno, but would many fans truly trust Capcom with anything in this day and age? I know wouldn't.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Aurain posted:

DmC would have done considerably better among the old fan base if Ninja Theory and Capcom were the slightest bit cordial with old fans rather than making it their mission to slag them off and make a point of pushing a strawman argument against any legitimate concerns voiced against the direction the gameplay was going in.

It was clear from the outset that they weren't interested in pandering to to DMC fans, which is okay, but what happened to DmC is exactly what happens when you pointedly alienate your existing fan base.

The only way Devil May Cry can recover from DmC is a full on entry made by Itsuno, but would many fans truly trust Capcom with anything in this day and age? I know wouldn't.

Imagine if they hired Platinum to do it...

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

If they hired Platinum to do it it'd be full of jokes aimed at DmC. It would be wonderful.

Or they could just straight up sabotage everything about the game to be bitter.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hidekyi Kamiya being back on Devil May Cry would be too much of a wish to come true.

After what Bayonetta did, I would be really curious to what Kamiya would do to Dante this time around. :allears:

I am assuming though Platinum probably has bad blood with Capcom, considering it was Capcom who closed Clover Studio which had two former Capcom guys aka Kamiya and Mikami.

(Though Mikami now left Platinum)

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 16, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm pretty sure Kamiya generally says that he'd work on any of his old Capcom franchises if he were asked and available to, but he's never asked to. He's best friends with Shu Takumi who's still over at Capcom too.

I doubt Platinum have any bad blood with them because generally speaking, they're a small studio without the financial clout to make their own games and self-publish so any potential company who can come in to offer them an opportunity to do what they love and put food on the table is one to stay friends with.

I loved Clover as much as the next guy too, but their closing it understandable entirely with hindsight nonetheless. They made amazing games that didn't sell well and Capcom nowadays are doing badly so they probably weren't doing so hot back in '07 to be in the position they are now, you'd imagine. I hate Capcom for doing it, but I hate people with awful taste who didn't buy all of Clover's masterpieces more. (99.9% of the population of Earth that probably comes out at)

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh definitely, I mean I didn't know that Kamiya was ok with it. We know how much of a straight shooter he is. Hell didn't he say he hated the Wii U cover for Bayo 2? I think he even called it a piece of poo poo.

Regardless, the possibility not being super slim is nice.

GET on it Capcom goddamn it.

And yes I point fingers at anyone who didn't buy Viewitful Joe or God Hand.

I blame IGN. :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't even know why he hates the Bayonetta 2 cover. It's specifically about the logo for the game, but I can't see a difference other than the 2 is red instead of blue now. I guess that may be the issue, but I'm not certain.

e:

It's because the moon is a full moon instead of a crescent and the 2 is red now, supposedly.
I understand it now because crescent moons are clearly a thematic trait of hers, and the Nintendo Treehouse 30 minute gameplay segment says that Blue is her key colour this time out.

Here's a link to that Treehouse thing because it's cool so check it out if you didn't watch it at e3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAHup4CXF9E

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 16, 2014

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

http://www.vg247.com/2014/06/11/bayonetta-2-wii-u-hideki-kamiya-box-art-doesnt-like/

He hated it because nintendo changed it. It's a small change but honestly it looks like she's in front of a giant omelet or pancake.

E: no need for double box art

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 16, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Comparing the two covers I can imagine he probably wanted the background to be more apparent so the moon stands out more and contrasts with it. It creates a nice clash of colors while emphasizing both at once, the new cover just sort of brings the moon front and center and you don't really get the mysterious moon looking through the cloudy night sky so much as Bayonetta is about to jump at the moon.

That's just my two cents on it though, I could be wrong. It's whatever at the end of the day though, since it is just cover art.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Aurain posted:

I don't even know why he hates the Bayonetta 2 cover. It's specifically about the logo for the game, but I can't see a difference other than the 2 is red instead of blue now. I guess that may be the issue, but I'm not certain.

There's this at least.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So I assume they can't ask to have it changed back or anything? When did Nintendo change it on them?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd like a new version of this, with the Bayonetta 2 model instead.

Make it the other leg and you could line them up to make it look like she's sort of standing there.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I didn't even notice the crescent moon in the original until I read his complaint about it. Just looked like clouds obscuring the moon to me. I would agree that the moon gets lost in the altered art though. I think the most egregious change is the 'Bonus' logo. I understand that marketing thinks that is a worthy selling point, but the contrast in color and its prominent placement really fucks up the visual hierarchy. The game name is much more impactful with the contrasting yellow background, and the same goes for the red "2".

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm pretty sure Platinum agreed to the change otherwise it would've been something else. I think for the most part the people that don't like aren't even deep on the project as Kamiya's just a supervisor and Kellam is on the scalebound team.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

graynull posted:

I didn't even notice the crescent moon in the original until I read his complaint about it. Just looked like clouds obscuring the moon to me. I would agree that the moon gets lost in the altered art though. I think the most egregious change is the 'Bonus' logo. I understand that marketing thinks that is a worthy selling point, but the contrast in color and its prominent placement really fucks up the visual hierarchy. The game name is much more impactful with the contrasting yellow background, and the same goes for the red "2".

You'd have to keep the Bonus icon. It's kind of a selling point that you're getting two games for the price of one.

Anyway the new box art isn't great but that's not really going to take anything away from the game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is a Bayo 1 thing more than 2 but may be related:
I think I recall reading up about the relationship between the advertising teams and developers at Platinum around the time Anita Sarkeesian made her video about Bayonetta 1 and I'm pretty sure it came out that Platinum never had any input into what happened in regards to that, and it included the "classy" billboards they had over in Japan where you took stickers off of the billboard to make her more and more naked. The cover art is almost certainly responsibility of the advertising team as well, and the new one probably ticked a bunch of arbitrary boxes that tell them it's better without actually looking at it.

I also think that the Bioshock Infinite team were all but told that they had to have the gun on shoulder cover that game ended up with so the alternate cover art competition was held so people could have a cover that wasn't poo poo. That'd lead credence to a theory that almost all game devs are powerless when it comes to how a product is presented to potential customers, and big, bright and dumb seems to be the way to go. The "protagonist in center of explosions or moody lighting" trend is almost definitely due to advertising departments latching onto something they think sells and surely not a result of developers wanting their products to appear generic on the face of it.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 16, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
For Bayonetta's first cover, P* did make it, but under explicit directions from the marketing. So yeah, they're kinda stuck with whatever the marketing department decides.

The one on the right originally had a blood-red moon, and a few dying angels where she shot them. The comments from the artbook speculate that they were removed to make the image less cluttered.

Buttonetta on the left however, they were told to have her twist her head, so it was visible in profile, but they stopped asking when Platinum told them that they'd specifically requested a rear view or something alomg those lines.

While we're talking covers, I wish they'd have come up with something a bit more fancy for the HD collection:

It's just kinda "Yeah, slap whatever on it". Yeah, it works, but still...

C'mon now, who wouldn't want this cover :allears:

[e]: Just for you, Golden Goat.
Bayonetta 2 Ultimate Edition:

:cheeky:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 16, 2014

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

You forgot to also put Dante in the background.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Golden Goat posted:

You forgot to also put the Demifiend in the background.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If it were any other publisher than Nintendo, I'm sure Bayo 2 would have had a Catherine styled cover, like this link but more seedy http://i.imgur.com/TC4uqiZ.jpg

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
RE: Activities of Kamiya - this is what he's up to today

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The new cover for B2 has much better contrasting colors and draws the eyes in more immediately. It stands out more on the shelf which is the only reason for the box art to exist.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SurrealityCheck posted:

RE: Activities of Kamiya - this is what he's up to today

I hope Scale Bound is really bad so I don't have to buy an xbone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm holding out for the Xbox to continue floundering so Microsoft decide to do a PC release to help get a bit more cash from it, similar to what happened to Dead Rising 3*.
There's no way Scalebound is going to be bad, I reckon.

*I'm not saying that's the reason for DE3 on PC, just that it went to PC after being "exclusive".

• Locked thread