Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Scrub tier tracks, those two

That's sad to hear about honestly.

I do enjoy watching them on TV, but I will have to take your word for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

Because you know..smaller teams sure are thriving right now.

It's a good thing all those independents are in the RTA, then.

Hell, SRA, GMS is gonna make bank off this, huh? How many times did you have to tell Penske no before you finally caved?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Personperson14 posted:

Real men eat the dirt and enjoy the feeling of it being in their eyes, Step the gently caress up man.

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

poo poo got in my beer man :rubshands:

The loving calcium is good for you, just strain it with your teeth.

Also while yes these things are gonna kick up dust, nothing really compares to what 410's throw up. Those are basically billboards going twice as fast as the Trucks will be going.

e- oh and it WILL be dusty. Last year Smoke came right out and said they let the track dry up to keep the speeds down, which he's also done for the Prelude. Basically a dirt track preppers little trick to keep inexperienced drivers safe or (like in the case of the Outlaws at OCFS) to slow down super fast cars on tracks that may be too big and fast for the class. When OCFS got a ton of rain before an Outlaw show a few years ago, quick time was 16.283 @ 144. Super quick for a flat 5/8ths, but it was also really hairy and I didn't feel safe in the stands.

So poo poo yeah bring goggles because Smoke & Co. are gonna let that bitch dry up

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 17, 2014

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Speaking of dirt tracks, I'm going to my first dirt track sprint car race tonight in middle of nowhere, Indiana. Indiana sprint week owns, there's a dirt track sprint car race every night somewhere in the state.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Does anyone know of a good dirt track to visit in the New England area? I think the closest that the World of Outlaws gets is Albany, which wouldn't be too far. I've camped down the road from Loudon during race weekend but I want to try something else this year. I'd love to go to Eldora this week, but I can't fit it in with work.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Harveygod posted:

Does anyone know of a good dirt track to visit in the New England area? I think the closest that the World of Outlaws gets is Albany, which wouldn't be too far. I've camped down the road from Loudon during race weekend but I want to try something else this year. I'd love to go to Eldora this week, but I can't fit it in with work.

Albany? I don't think Outlaws go to Albany, that track is way too small and backwater for them. I know they have been to Lebanon Valley before, which is totally a track you should go to for any kind of racing because it's awesome.

In fact, Outlaws are at Lebanon Valley this very weekend!

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 17, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

devmd01 posted:

Speaking of dirt tracks, I'm going to my first dirt track sprint car race tonight in middle of nowhere, Indiana. Indiana sprint week owns, there's a dirt track sprint car race every night somewhere in the state.

Which one? If you're gonna waste your time going to Putnamville I feel bad for you when Terre Haute is the best track in the ISW.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Peanut President posted:

Which one? If you're gonna waste your time going to Putnamville I feel bad for you when Terre Haute is the best track in the ISW.

Its the closest one available to me that fits into my calendar. Any racing is better than no racing at all.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Cannot Find Server posted:

Albany? I don't think Outlaws go to Albany, that track is way too small and backwater for them. I know they have been to Lebanon Valley before, which is totally a track you should go to for any kind of racing because it's awesome.

In fact, Outlaws are at Lebanon Valley this very weekend!
Thanks for the response. After looking more closely at their schedule, it was Alberta, not Albany. I will check out Lebanon Valley, though. I wish I had looked into it a few weeks ago. I would have liked to camp for this weekend but I'm away and won't be home until tomorrow afternoon. It's close enough for a day trip, though, so I may consider going just to see the races.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

It's a good thing all those independents are in the RTA, then.

Hell, SRA, GMS is gonna make bank off this, huh? How many times did you have to tell Penske no before you finally caved?

http://racingnomics.com/on-value-in-nascar/

Just gonna leave this here then.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

That bar graph toward the bottom was what I was going to point to. In Cup, there were all those mergers and team collapses in the 2008-2009 offseason, and NASCAR has yet to rebound from that in the same way they did the 2003-2004 downsizing. The start-ups from 2009 have themselves had to merge since then just to survive, so the quality and worth of the field has suffered as a result.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Team valuations are like stock prices in that they don't really mean jackshit unless someone is there to actually pay for it.

But the core tenant is still generally true, teams are fighting over a shrinking pie. Which is what RTA is all about.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

So Hendrick and alternate Hendrick make up about 50% of the worth. At least that car limitation rule is preventing one team from running the sport.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Fuuuck yea Thursday night dirt tracks, $3 beers. Kenny Wallace is here!

E: 44 sprints on hand :getin:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 17, 2014

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

That would be Kenny in the lead there.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Harveygod posted:

Thanks for the response. After looking more closely at their schedule, it was Alberta, not Albany. I will check out Lebanon Valley, though. I wish I had looked into it a few weeks ago. I would have liked to camp for this weekend but I'm away and won't be home until tomorrow afternoon. It's close enough for a day trip, though, so I may consider going just to see the races.

Lebanon Valley is an amazing track to see the Outlaws at, and they'll run northeast-style dirt modifieds the same night, which are my favorite class of racing. If you have the ability to go, at all, do it and don't think twice. It's a high banked half mile, and super fast.

If you're looking for a camping experience for a dirt track race, another 90 minutes south from the Valley is my local track, Orange County Fair Speedway. It's the oldest continuously operating dirt oval in the world, flat, 5/8ths of a mile in length. At the end of every October they hold Eastern States weekend, which for big and small block modifieds is the second most important modified race of the year behind Super Dirt Week at Syracuse, which is held two weeks prior to ESW. Don't let them lie to you, the World Finals at Charlotte isn't even in the top 3 in terms of prestige. It can get a bit cold here then (you're north of me I guess so you'll handle it like I can lol), but you haven't lived until you see a 200 lap big block mod race with mandatory pit stops.

Here's the start of the race from a few years ago. They start 46 cars in the 200, and the noise when they thunder by is one of the greatest sounds in motorsport. 500 cubic inch V8's, making close to 900hp. They weigh like 3200lbs and if you look close, underneath the sheet metal is basically a long wheelbase, center steer sprint car. Northeast mods are unique to New York almost exclusively, and all other forms of modifieds in the US are left hand drive, late model based.

I get very boring and long winded when I get an excuse to talk dirt mods, but like I said, it's seriously the best class of racing in the world in my eyes. If you get down here this year, you'll get to see Brett Hearn who may be retiring soon, and although I hate him, he's one of the best dirt racers in any class to have ever lived. 800 wins, dozens of track championships, and a bunch of division championships, too. At Middletown alone, he has 299 wins, which IIRC is a record for any driver anywhere in the world at a single track... and that's not counting his heat or dash wins.

Like Cygni said, teams are fighting over a piece of shrinking income, but my point in this (and the reason I don't support it) is that the RTA is set up by the large teams that are owned by incredibly rich men, and either won't share equal pieces with the small teams signed up to the RTA, and some small teams weren't even invited.

My fear is that this isn't going to help small teams at all, in fact it's going to accelerate their death by making the imbalance between the large and small teams even greater. If you aren't in the RTA and run a single car team, how are you going to have any type of shot against a Hendrick or Penske that has more money than God to start with, only now receiving a large kickback from profit sharing? Maybe if all teams were signed up and the team car limit was 2 instead of 4 I'd get behind it more, but that's not gonna happen.

The big 5 teams and their satellites aren't racing at a loss, and they are the ones dictating the terms here. They aren't going to pay the drivers and crew more, they aren't going to expand their shops, build better cars, or sell/rent equipment at a lower rate to teams that need it....they are going to put it all in their pockets just like every stick and ball team involved in profit sharing have done forever.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 18, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

devmd01 posted:

Fuuuck yea Thursday night dirt tracks, $3 beers. Kenny Wallace is here!

E: 44 sprints on hand :getin:

That owns and you own :thumbsup:

44 sprints is a solid car count, that's only a few less than they had at the Grove for the Morgan Cup when I went last year.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Shocker, Kenny Wallace won the modified feature!

His post race interview was awesome, "quit your bitching on Facebook and support the sport you love"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Kenny Wallace, best Wallace.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Bubba is pretty cool too.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Well yeah, but he doesn't count because he isn't part of the shithouse clan of Wallace's.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

but you haven't lived until you see a 200 lap big block mod race with mandatory pit stops.

:stare:

That is one of the most insane-dangerous-stupid-crazy-awesome-things I have ever seen.

I don't even know where to begin. The marshals wondering around a live track. Refueling/pit crew consists of a few guys in jeans and hoodies. No helmets, no gloves, no fire-suits. A pit lane not wide enough for cars to exit, so cars exiting by offroading through the mud. And a motherfucking gas can getting dragged around the track at the end?

Holy poo poo.

Grayly Squirrel fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 18, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That ain't poo poo, take a look at what the track looked like when I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE1mpuzMuvU

Pit road in that vid from '99 is the upgraded pit.

Somehow they've never had a major incident (in my lifetime) on pit road, even though they start 46 cars and all of them pit mostly on the front stretch. Think about Bristol and Martinsville....less cars and they still pit on both straights!

I helped crew a car for Eastern States in '98 and holy gently caress was it one of the most terrifying experiences ever. If you think it's scary watching that, imagine being in the thick of it while cars whiz by you. Luckily I wasn't part of the actual pit crew, but I did have to help hold the car up by the rear bumper when the driver wanted his hot tires from his small block fitted to his big block car in the heats. Last small block heat, second big block heat. Cars flying by us and we didn't have enough jacks or jack stands to do it without muscle. I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt and smoking a cigarette despite the posted no smoking signs. Figured it was ok because the official closest to us was smoking, too.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 18, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Then this happened last Saturday night. There's a public street on the other side of that fence, luckily no traffic happened to be there at the time. OCFS is a hilariously dangerous track and I loving love it because of that.

Despite seeing three people get killed there in the span of a few weeks when I was a kid, including the guy who my dad helped crew for. Dirt track racing is the last bastion of "old school" racing, everything else has been slowed down and made safer in numerous ways, not dirt racing though. Faster and more dangerous than ever.

Not OCFS, but you just don't see wrecks like this in the modern era. The two dudes in shorts and t-shirts fighting the fire with shovels are basically local dirt racing safety crews in a nutshell.

Sprints and big block mods are loving death traps.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 18, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Local dirt track racin' WOO.

E- battle for the lead in the 4 banger heat ruined by the second place car's hood going over the windshield. Then the leader blew up. :laffo:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 19, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Hell yeah, I was considering going to OCFS tomorrow but the fair is in town :mad:

Tonight they are running flat track bikes, and I forgot until like an hour ago. Now, THOSE guys are crazy. Someone prolly gonna buy the farm doing that kinda nonsense.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Flat track bike guys have the biggest balls of them all.

E: I'm going to watch the 2005 Mansfield truck race, and mourn such a beautiful facility. 42 trucks, with 6 DNQs.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I saw a guy shatter his legs back in the day when AMA used to stop in. I think they carted three guys out in a meatwagon for some sheet time that night, it was bad news.

e- holy gently caress I guess tonight is sanctioned by AMA too, goddamnit I shoulda went

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 19, 2014

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

I saw a guy shatter his legs back in the day when AMA used to stop in. I think they carted three guys out in a meatwagon for some sheet time that night, it was bad news.

e- holy gently caress I guess tonight is sanctioned by AMA too, goddamnit I shoulda went
:drat:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Here's a taste, if anyone here doesn't know what AMA flat track racing is all about.

It's one of the more insane forms of motorsport out there. I mean, it's basically only trumped by the Isle of Mann, Bonneville or winged 410 sprints.

e- This conversation should probably be in the Misc. thread so I'll leave it with a parting shot of insanity

Really bummed I didn't get out there tonight :(

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 19, 2014

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Wonder why the greatest racer of all time Kyle Busch isn't racing Eldora? I guess he's afraid he'd be to goo- ahahahah yeah.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

In other news Smoke still owns.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tony-stewart-first-sprint-car-233000878--nascar.html

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Well yeah, but he doesn't count because he isn't part of the shithouse clan of Wallace's.

You sure about that? He's got Rusty's 1989 hair.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Whelen Mods from NHMS on FS1 in three minutes.

K&N East from NHMS on FS1 tomorrow at Noon.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Dude is amazing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"(Mod winner) came into today with 12 wins in the Modifieds...and he leaves today with 13 wins in the Modifieds."

Nicole Briscoe may be going away, but the future of awful female personalities in NASCAR TV is safe with Kaitlyn Vincie.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Posted a few pages back, here is the small highlights of the race in the rain in the NASCAR Euro series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVaTJtBU0dU

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
The gently caress? They're actually holding quite a bit of speed for being an oval in the rain. They could easily race in the rain in the Cup series on tracks a mile or less in length, but no the world's top drivers are regulated by the biggest pussy of a sanctioning body.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

BMB5150 posted:

Posted a few pages back, here is the small highlights of the race in the rain in the NASCAR Euro series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVaTJtBU0dU

This owns so much. Are those leftover pre-COT chassis shipped over??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Europe: better at oval racing than the United States

• Locked thread