Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

kizudarake posted:

Holy poo poo, I just realized I got an amazing deal at my LGS today. Nissa, worldwaker's in the 30s! I paid $19.99

Sell it off at $30 immediately. I just can't see it staying at that price for longer than 2 weeks, tops.

Edit: Nevermind. It's just :10bux: Enjoy the Nissa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Can someone exain what happened to the price of nissa worldwaker overnight?

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Somebody realized four extra mana is stupid great, especially when it's packaged with some nice utility for grindy games.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Really glad I picked up my set at 17 each, probably just gonna dump them and wait for it to go back down after shocks rotate.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

ThirdEmperor posted:

Somebody realized four extra mana is stupid great, especially when it's packaged with some nice utility for grindy games.

The problem is that unless the deck is Mono-G Devotion, the chances of you actually having 4 Forests to untap when you play Nissa are extremely slim. Especially since you'll be ramping to get her out anyway well before T5. Unless the devotion deck turns out to be a Tier 1 contender, Nissa's not nearly going to have the impact on Standard that Chord of Calling will.

Edit: Now I want to make a G-Devotion Chord of Calling deck with 1 random Master of Cruelties thrown in just for the rare times it works.

qbert fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 17, 2014

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

qbert posted:

The problem is that unless the deck is Mono-G Devotion, the chances of you actually having 4 Forests to untap when you play Nissa are extremely slim. Especially since you'll be ramping to get her out anyway well before T5. Unless the devotion deck turns out to be a Tier 1 contender, Nissa's not nearly going to have the impact on Standard that Chord of Calling will.

There's currently 3 walkers in green that protect themselves, although you have to splash blue for one and have black for another. Which really isn't a bad deal right now with shocks in rotation where you can cast a garruk's wake reasonably off nissa, have excellent spot removal in hero's downfall, abrupt decay, etc. Post rotation I can't see nissa being a powerhouse like she probably will be during super standard.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I say mean things about Magic Online but if you don't want to click that here's just the image I made

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

kingcobweb posted:

I say mean things about Magic Online but if you don't want to click that here's just the image I made

I like that this came hours after I spent ten bucks on it, asked in irc hey it looks like this "starter pack" they said was perfect for newbies is totally useless, and got told "oh yea dude that's how it is now". It's like today is Prove Tatum Girlparts Wrong For Buying MTGO Day."

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I like that this came hours after I spent ten bucks on it, asked in irc hey it looks like this "starter pack" they said was perfect for newbies is totally useless, and got told "oh yea dude that's how it is now". It's like today is Prove Tatum Girlparts Wrong For Buying MTGO Day."

I really wanted to play limited last week so made the same leap into mtgo and forty dollars later I had played a draft with a client that was more frustrating than workstation was six plus years ago.

On the upside I did get to play some magic. On the downside I never want to touch mtgo again. Especially considering how many options I have nearby to play magic nearly any day of the week.

Who am I kidding, I'll inevitably cave when I want to draft at seven am...

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

... in your underwear.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I'm gonna see how things go after I get my box and fatpack Friday. Last set, I ended up with a playset of prophetic flame speakers(one foil), 3 brimaz, and a half-foil, half regular playset of the red eidolon.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Rules question: If my opponent resolves a Golgari Charm giving everything -1/-1 until end of turn, and then later in the turn I resolve a Polymorphist's Jest on his creatures, does everything immediately die?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
I'm assuming people are tired of me bitching about crashes, but I think I got it to stabilize - a bit at least. If MTGO is running by itself, I don't get a BSOD, however, if I have other programs up like Firefox and Steam, it will BSOD immediately or eventually. I still wanna stream some drafts for a friend and need to test UWR Twin, so I hope OBS doesn't make MTGO poo poo the bed.

Also the Beta improved from what it was last I played it, and I appreciate some of the smaller adjustments made. Of course I came back from a Holiday cube which I screwed up on. Match 3 Round 3, guy's at 5 life, I have 4 Lingering Souls tokens out, he has Genesis, Prime Time, and an Elvish Mystic - I'm at 11 life. I rush myself and attack with the 4th flier, and lose. If I held it back I could have chumped Genesis and won, but oh well. What are some good draft strategies for MM?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The only big issue I'm having with the v4 client at the moment is that scrolling to the left or right on the deck building section is suuuuper slow and laggy when you have a deck of any size (ie, deck piles).

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Did they ever fix that bug where randomly during sideboarding the client would add a fifth of a card to your deck, making it illegal and impossible for you to submit your deck? (I'm going to go ahead and assume the answer is no, considering the company we're talking about here)

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

qbert posted:

Edit: Now I want to make a G-Devotion Chord of Calling deck with 1 random Master of Cruelties thrown in just for the rare times it works.

See, I'd imagine a lot more decks will have plenty of standard lands once Ravnica cycles out. All signs point to Khans not being too free with the multicolor lands, feeding into the mono-color aspect of Theros' devotion mechanics.

I also see potential in Genesis Hydra, Broodmaster, Polukranos, and let's not forget Chord, to make for some very greedy green decks.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

Article captured for grognards.txt.

I mean, seriously, stop writing that poo poo.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

kizudarake posted:

Is Grognard now in that category of words goons use without understanding the meaning of or something?

He said mean words about something objectively lovely with cited examples.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

qbert posted:

Rules question: If my opponent resolves a Golgari Charm giving everything -1/-1 until end of turn, and then later in the turn I resolve a Polymorphist's Jest on his creatures, does everything immediately die?
They still have the -1/-1 on them when they get turned to a base p/t of 1, so I, in my non-judge self, say that it sounds like it should work just like that.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

qbert posted:

Everything that was affected by Golgari Charm, yes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fun fact, when a kamigawa flip card flips in the new client, it shows up with your non-creature permanents. When you trigger its abilities, the text of the ability on the stack is the text of the unflipped card. Everything functions properly, it just displays all wonkily.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Spiderdrake posted:

Is Grognard now in that category of words goons use without understanding the meaning of or something?

Grognards.txt might as well be named "something a goon disagreed with" from what safaris I've made into it, so yup.

Please continue writing things, KCW. :)

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

Ever since the discussion ban went into play in g.txt, there's not been much in the way to shut down bad posters quoting their own personal grudges, yeah. So it goes.

Good to see that Magic Online is still the slow motion trainwreck I've come to expect from WotC online products.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
I don't see the grognard-iness in this. It's an article about how a lovely piece of software is followed by another lovely piece of software. Or in other words - nothing changes.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

According to grognards.txt, writing a single line saying that Vintage has degenerate combos and land destruction and isn't fun puts you in pretty much the same category as people who write 5000+ word supplements about breast sizes in anime RPGs.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

ThirdEmperor posted:

I also see potential in Genesis Hydra, Broodmaster, Polukranos, and let's not forget Chord, to make for some very greedy green decks.

I keep toying with the deck list for big green in my head. This may be better suited for the deck building thread, but it feels like Invasive Species could be a one or two of in the deck. If the deck even sorta works, 6 mana (for chording it out) isn't too much, and having some protection from removal/the ability to get cute and re-use monstrous abilities seems like it could be good. I dunno, though, keeping 6 mana up just to get around their 3 mana downfall could be wishful thinking.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
It's not so much that I disagree with it, it's that his article goes so over the top with hyperbole that he's comparing it to 9-11-2001.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Veyrall posted:

They still have the -1/-1 on them when they get turned to a base p/t of 1, so I, in my non-judge self, say that it sounds like it should work just like that.

Yes. This is how it works. Looks like that new template is very much worth its weight.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

kizudarake posted:

It's not so much that I disagree with it, it's that his article goes so over the top with hyperbole that he's comparing it to 9-11-2001.

You're right, 9/11 is never funny.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Boros Reckoner, Dictate of the Twin Gods and Boros Charm are all cards that could in theory get played in a boros midrange/burn deck. Does boros have any way to ramp, assuming that I don't want to splash for a third color?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Generator Servant! The mana doesn't have to be cast on creatures.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Generator Servant?

EDIT: Well there you go.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Generator servant is probably the best new common they've made what a badass. Just in the sealed it was awesome to throw my siege dragon into play a turn early, basically attacking + pyroclasming two turns earlier than they expected, and that was just sealed. The mana is nice, but the haste is the killer I feel. I can't wait to see how it's going to get abused in constructed, especially when a ton of big fat dragons will probably come out with Tarkihr, and at least one of them is bound to be good.

Turn 3 5 drop + haste for red sounds pretty solid/workable.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

kizudarake posted:

Grogs have problems with change, especially 4.0 editions. Nothing new here.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Syphilis Fish posted:

Generator servant is probably the best new common they've made what a badass. Just in the sealed it was awesome to throw my siege dragon into play a turn early, basically attacking + pyroclasming two turns earlier than they expected, and that was just sealed. The mana is nice, but the haste is the killer I feel. I can't wait to see how it's going to get abused in constructed, especially when a ton of big fat dragons will probably come out with Tarkihr, and at least one of them is bound to be good.

Turn 3 5 drop + haste for red sounds pretty solid/workable.

You know what's a loving sick limited deck? R/B Hasty Bomb Tribal with Nightfire Giant and Generator Servant.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Honestly I'm looking at the many uses for Generator Servant right now.

Maybe red can side it in during the control matchup, hold open 1 red with a servant on the board with some other things, use it for the random burn spell you previously couldn't play when they verdict.

Alternatively play it in RG monsters to ramp into that turn 3 Polukranos/Turn 4 Arbor Colossus and give it haste :getin:

Now that I think about it. Turn 1 Elf, Turn 2 Servant, Turn 3 Polukranos with Haste + Elf sounds pretty good.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Generator Servant gives you a turn 3 hasty Arbor Colossus, if you've got GGG through lands and maybe a turn one elf.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I was able to pick up my fat pack, clash pack and a box tonight. Just opening the fat pack boosters, I got a Chandra, Jace, two Uborgs, and a chord of calling. I love M15.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Generator Servent also allows a Flame-Wreathed Phoenix to come out with haste no matter what. Then it is a decision from your opponent on whether they want 5/5 hasty to the face or 3/3 with the knowledge it will go back to your hand when it dies. And either way, you get to keep a mana up for a combat trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GoutPatrol posted:

I was able to pick up my fat pack, clash pack and a box tonight. Just opening the fat pack boosters, I got a Chandra, Jace, two Uborgs, and a chord of calling. I love M15.

This set is just jam packed with exciting rares. I love that even Scootie Puff Junior is bulk rare material but still looks fun as gently caress.

Also, one of the Souls, a cycle people though would be EDH fodder, is standard playable.

Makes you think about M16.

• Locked thread