Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Barfoid 3 posted:

former stimulant addict

I, too, keep forgetting to take my meds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

Sub Rosa posted:

You may have just changed my life. Thank you!

I agree. Once I started to use this site more and more, the more I am motivated to get things done!

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

DrNewton posted:

I agree. Once I started to use this site more and more, the more I am motivated to get things done!

I'm not at all motivated to get things done, but I'm so motivated to level up that I'm getting things done anyway!

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Sub Rosa posted:

I, too, keep forgetting to take my meds.

:golfclap:

Anyway, does anyone have any advice for dealing with getting overwhelmed by things? I'm mostly thinking of being mentally paralyzed because I don't understand what I need to do, as a note. (I'm flailing my way through programming and tried of progress screeching to a halt because of my inability to deal.)

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Like Clockwork posted:

:golfclap:

Anyway, does anyone have any advice for dealing with getting overwhelmed by things? I'm mostly thinking of being mentally paralyzed because I don't understand what I need to do, as a note. (I'm flailing my way through programming and tried of progress screeching to a halt because of my inability to deal.)

The big strokes-
1. Sleep. Good restful sleep.
2. Aerobic exercise. Riding bikes is at the top of the food chain.

The nuanced strokes-
1. After that it is a matter of keeping focused on the task at hand. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. You can pick whether you start at the nose or the tail. If you feel overwhelmed, chances are you're gang-piling a bunch of big picture stuff when you should be tactical. It is a defense mechanism to thwart having to 'eat the rear end in a top hat'. If you quit you can't fail- right?

Having someone who you trust to go- just do this, and then this. Or train yourself to break it down and keep it simple (aka set aside time to use your day planner) and managable.

2. Celebrate the little accomplishments. As noted in prior posts, we get told to suck up and quit being lazy a lot. So much so that we don't learn to celebrate the little accomplishments, in fact, it often turns out that we don't feel much when we do accomplish something complicated and hard. It kind of feels dead, and we think- yeah everyone else does it without trying this hard. So, find someone who will at least give you some praise for the little things- like doing well on a quiz you actually studied for.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Swapped out my 20mg focalin 2x a day + 20mg adderall 1x for 2x 30mg adderall. I'm pretty sure that having stims in me every waking hour was simply making me tired when I didn't have it, and doing nothing special for my ability to focus. Being able to say I need to focus right the gently caress now and take 45mg adderall and not take it when thinking is unnecessary surely can't hurt. Maybe I will intentionally not take it when I actively want to zone out and not think.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
My therapist recommended a book called The Now Habit to help with my procrastination. Has anyone here read it?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

gandlethorpe posted:

My therapist recommended a book called The Now Habit to help with my procrastination. Has anyone here read it?

Nope.

I have a great book called "What Does Everyone Else Know That I Don't?" that has strategies for making life work that I lent to my ADHD boyfriend, who promptly forgot about it. ADHD!

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

gandlethorpe posted:

I could probably write it.

Essentially, you just stop giving a crap about things you don't want to, or dislike doing and just do them right now.

I don't like mowing the lawn... I can do it Sunday. Sunday morning- too early dont want to disturb the neighbors. Sunday midday- too hot! Sunday afternoon... there's still light until 9:30, its seven!.

No, just go mow the lawn.

As you begin to become successful by doing poo poo that you typically put off. Like putting your dish in the dishwasher instead of letting things pile up into a big 2 load mess, you get a little dopamine and you get used to just doing stuff now.

Personally I've evolved into a controlled apathy so that most everything is nearly the same whether I want to do it or not. I get so much done and passion inevitably asserts itself so I accomplish some pretty amazing things when I sit back and look around every once in a while.

bitter almond
Jul 29, 2012

Never run from anything immortal. It attracts their attention.
I'm checking in here because I'm kind of off the rails right now.

Diagnosed at age 31. Been on Vyvanse (60) for a few years (with a long break during pregnancy and breast-feeding). Currently experimenting with the starter pack for intuniv, to see which dosage works best (just started, so on 1mg now). I started intuniv for a few reasons. One is that I have the typical ADHD trouble with sleep in general. I do find that being on Vyvanse consistently helps with the sleeping, but I still have problems. Hoping intuniv can help a bit. I teach full-time, public school, and have to be up very early for work. It's never been easy. I also have found that the Vyvanse, while still effective, is maybe not quite as effective as it was. It's so hard to say. I have been under immense stress this summer, as my former partner/abuser and the source of my last E/N thread filed for a modification in family court and I ended up having to face him in family court. This is going to be an ongoing thing for awhile, and it's having an impact. I'm working summer school and feel like I am getting by in general by the skin on my teeth. A lot of the systems and habits I had cultivated to make my life work have unraveled and I really just need to get it together, especially before the new school year begins. I have some low level anxiety in general, and the Vyvanse (I think?) tends to bring about some very stress-y behaviors like a tendency to pick/scratch at my skin or chew on my lip. I've read some people have had success with intuniv nullifying some of those tendencies. I guess I'll see.

I'm curious about HabitRPG, since I saw it mentioned. I've seen a lot of mention of paper planners, too. I had the slingshot planner someone mentioned a few posts ago! I had a few over the years, they were my favorite planners. I just don't think I do so well with a planner in general, though that one was fun/interesting enough to work better than any I've tried. My problem is the autopilot thing that I do where I don't realize I have the damned thing in my hand and just put it down somewhere without realizing it. I also sometimes just outright forget to look at the damned thing. I'll write down what I need to do, then forget to check it for days and days and then I'm so mad at myself. I found it worked best for me when I was in college, especially during class, when I was trying to pay attention to the lecture, but needed something small to distract just a part of my brain so I wouldn't look for something more disruptive to do.

Someone said something earlier about how they work best on something when they are supposed to be doing something else. That is so my life. My last year of college, when I studying abroad in Spain, I had about 70-80 pages total of papers to write for finals in various classes, all in Spanish (which I speak, but is not my native language). During that time period, I wrote almost 12,000 words of a novel, THEN finished my damned academic papers. It was like I was on loving meth, and this was long before I was diagnosed, much less medicated. I just couldn't stop. The deadline was looming huge, but the inspiration was loving crazy. I did some (by my standards) loving great writing and I pulled off all the papers and had nothing but A grades and a single B+. The pressure was enormous and the stress was bad, but I have never had such fantastic output. I wish I could somehow smooth that out and manage to write and do both what I need and love to do without pulling these crazy marathons where I forget to eat and almost piss myself because I can't even stop to go to the bathroom. I have toyed with the idea of going back to school just to force some deadlines and the bizarre, wild creativity that comes with delaying the work I'm supposed to do with other things.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I got upped to 30mg Vyvanse from 20mg, which... I dunno. It's about the same efficacy-wise as 20mg Vyvanse (less tired, can concentrate for longer), but I'm getting more stomach issues and I've felt a lot more "blah" of late while on it (which might admittedly be a side effect of having worked for the past 9 days straight). Am I still not at the right dosage, or should I see if my doc can switch me to something else like Adderall XR?

I'm still trying to recapture the magic of the first day where all of the "regular" tasks of things like laundry, dishes, etc. just made sense to do. It wasn't that I found them fascinating, but that I understood their importance and seemingly remembered to do them. I mostly just seem to be in the same fog as before where the most basic of tasks slip out of my mind unless I spend a long, hard time concentrating on them.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I hosed up. I told my psych about non-ADHD-related issues I'm having and now I'm back on antipsychotics and won't see him again until September, at which point he'll consider ADHD meds if my symptoms haven't gone away, because he suspects my attention problems are actually caused by whatever is causing delusions and paranoia.

I've heard, anecdotally, that aripiprazole/Abilify, which is what I'm on, helps some ADHD sufferers. Is this true? I did seem a lot more together when I was last on it, but that could've been the effect on my mood and delusions/paranoia.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

HabitRPG - I didn't read about this before, but I signed up for it!

I've been off the Dex for two weeks now, and I've also had to limit my caffeine intake severely. I've been able to hold it together because work has been easy, but my personal projects have totally fallen off to the wayside.

Why? Because of a severe GERD flareup that triggered my asthma, to the point where I needed Prednisone. I'm off the Prednisone now, and on a GERD diet, and as a consequence, I'm feeling a lot better. I'm not reintroducing the Dex until next week. I'm almost positive that the Dex didn't cause it, but I wanted to remove all of the new variables that I had introduced recently.

I think it was caused by a combo of my love of drip coffee, taking the OTC Prilosec instead of a prescription, generally not watching my diet at all, and/or taking the North Star brand of Lamictal. If I was the Dex, I would have expected the GERD to flare up almost immediately - and settle down quickly once I stopped taking it. That this asthma/GERD flare happened when I was OFF the Dex seems to point to it not being the culprit. I've since eliminated drip coffee entirely, eating fruit instead of candy or cake, eliminated chocolate entirely, and shifted to eating more fish and poultry. Got back on the prescription Prilosec, the decent generic Lamictal, and - most importantly - stopped eating anything 3 hours before bedtime. Hope this works!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oh, that reminds me: do people tend to feel anhedonic when on stimulants at all? The Vyvanse has improved my concentration, but it seems like it's also ramped up my anhedonia. I've gotten to the stage where I feel like I have the energy to do things (as opposed to before where I was constantly, achingly tired and foggy), but I don't get a shrivel of pleasure from doing any of the things I wanted to do when I started on the Vyvanse.

bitter almond
Jul 29, 2012

Qu Appelle posted:

HabitRPG - I didn't read about this before, but I signed up for it!

I've been off the Dex for two weeks now, and I've also had to limit my caffeine intake severely. I've been able to hold it together because work has been easy, but my personal projects have totally fallen off to the wayside.

Why? Because of a severe GERD flareup that triggered my asthma, to the point where I needed Prednisone. I'm off the Prednisone now, and on a GERD diet, and as a consequence, I'm feeling a lot better. I'm not reintroducing the Dex until next week. I'm almost positive that the Dex didn't cause it, but I wanted to remove all of the new variables that I had introduced recently.

I think it was caused by a combo of my love of drip coffee, taking the OTC Prilosec instead of a prescription, generally not watching my diet at all, and/or taking the North Star brand of Lamictal. If I was the Dex, I would have expected the GERD to flare up almost immediately - and settle down quickly once I stopped taking it. That this asthma/GERD flare happened when I was OFF the Dex seems to point to it not being the culprit. I've since eliminated drip coffee entirely, eating fruit instead of candy or cake, eliminated chocolate entirely, and shifted to eating more fish and poultry. Got back on the prescription Prilosec, the decent generic Lamictal, and - most importantly - stopped eating anything 3 hours before bedtime. Hope this works!

I have GERD, with the asthma flare, etc. Mine is non-acid reflux, so antacids and PPIs actually aggravate the poo poo out of it. I had my worst flare up before I was ever on Vyvanse or Adderall, and it doesn't seem to affect it one way or the other.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

bitter almond posted:

I have GERD, with the asthma flare, etc. Mine is non-acid reflux, so antacids and PPIs actually aggravate the poo poo out of it. I had my worst flare up before I was ever on Vyvanse or Adderall, and it doesn't seem to affect it one way or the other.

I didn't have any flare up on any of the stimulants, with the exception of Dexedrine IR. And, thinking back on that, it might have been a red herring. Because mine also acts up when I'm really hungry...and Dex IR really cut my appetite. I was also eating like crap and drinking lots of coffee then as well.

Prilosec helps mine, but mine is also situated more in the threat - so I get the raspy voice if I don't watch it. When I get my insurance straightened out, I mauy see a Gastroenterologist about this, if it doesn't go away with my diet and exercise. Or I find that the Dex is flaring it up after all - because I really need an ADHD drug that works, and this is the best bet.

(Speaking of which, I forgot how much Prednisone makes you eat. At least it's not candy, but wow.)

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 15, 2014

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Vermain posted:

Oh, that reminds me: do people tend to feel anhedonic when on stimulants at all? The Vyvanse has improved my concentration, but it seems like it's also ramped up my anhedonia. I've gotten to the stage where I feel like I have the energy to do things (as opposed to before where I was constantly, achingly tired and foggy), but I don't get a shrivel of pleasure from doing any of the things I wanted to do when I started on the Vyvanse.

Anhedonia is part of the disorder and can be a side effect from :catdrugs:. You can check with your doctor for alternatives.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Upped dose on Concerta, it's working really awesome so far, been the most organized and the most productive I've ever been, maybe in my entire life combined. My writing became 100x easier to get into and stay on track.

One thing though, and I was wondering if any of you get this as well. It feels 90% similar to being high on weed when it peaks for 2 hours. My eyes go dry, I feel tired, calm, nervous of people, too cool for school, can just zone out out listen to tunes.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I'm going to see my psychiatrist this week. He's been open to the idea of me trying stimulant medication but I'm not sure he knows a lot about ADHD or the medications used, and I'm only really going by the book I have (which I mysteriously cannot find). What are the safer ones to try first? Would those be ritalin/concerta?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Tin Hat posted:

I'm going to see my psychiatrist this week. He's been open to the idea of me trying stimulant medication but I'm not sure he knows a lot about ADHD or the medications used, and I'm only really going by the book I have (which I mysteriously cannot find). What are the safer ones to try first? Would those be ritalin/concerta?

That's what I see them start most adults on- Concerta.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Other popular options being Adderall and Vyvanse.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Tin Hat posted:

Personally, I would start on Ritalin. Why? Because it's the oldest ADHD drug out there. I have been taking it as a kid, and when I was young, there were no other options. So naturally, Ritalin has had time to be test for short and (most importantly) long term effects.
Also, as I have taken it over time, I have noticed that they have tweaked it a little bit. For example, I got get as nauseous when I take it as when I was a kid/teen (the pill use to be larger in size). I find my self actually able to eat when I am on it too. Though I still far less than when I am off it.

When I was a teen, Adderall came out and for the longest time, I heard nothing but bad reports on it. Doing more damage than good. Again, not much short term and long term testing. My doctor tried to put me on it but I was reluctant based on the research I had done online and a few friends who were taking it.

It's been over 10 years and now I hear more neutral and/or positive comments. Again, as time went on, there was room to "fix" the meds all of their little quirks.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Strattera helped with general classwork/paying attention but I never cared for it otherwise. It's weird, I felt like it made me TOO focused, like a tunnel vision vibe. I could REALLY REALLY focus on one thing but otherwise nothing else mattered. Adderall worked better for me but if you have friends that enjoy abusing RX drugs, do not tell them about it. Had to finally tell a guy to piss off after he kept asking me to sell him some.

I'd just start with Ritalin and see how well that works if you get a choice. My doc pushed Strattera and he was okay swapping me after I complained. Strattera was also kind of loving expensive if you don't have good insurance, something to keep in mind.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

DrNewton posted:

Personally, I would start on Ritalin. Why? Because it's the oldest ADHD drug out there. I have been taking it as a kid, and when I was young, there were no other options. So naturally, Ritalin has had time to be test for short and (most importantly) long term effects.
Also, as I have taken it over time, I have noticed that they have tweaked it a little bit. For example, I got get as nauseous when I take it as when I was a kid/teen (the pill use to be larger in size). I find my self actually able to eat when I am on it too. Though I still far less than when I am off it.

When I was a teen, Adderall came out and for the longest time, I heard nothing but bad reports on it. Doing more damage than good. Again, not much short term and long term testing. My doctor tried to put me on it but I was reluctant based on the research I had done online and a few friends who were taking it.

It's been over 10 years and now I hear more neutral and/or positive comments. Again, as time went on, there was room to "fix" the meds all of their little quirks.

Adderall is just a slightly shittier version of dexedrine, which predates ritalin in therapeutic use by at least a few years. In the 40s, it was dexedrine that was the go-to drug for ADHD (called minimal brain dysfunction or hyperactivity at that point.) And in fact, benzedrine, which is a racemic mixture of d and l amphetamine (just like adderall), predates even dexedrine.

So really Adderall is the oldest of the three medicines.

Methamphetamine predates even Benzedrine.

Ritalin is definitely the first place to start because it is the most commonly prescribed and doctors don't have the same qualms about prescribing it that they do amphetamines, but it is by no means the first ADHD drug.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 17, 2014

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Adderall is just a slightly shittier version of dexedrine, which predates ritalin in therapeutic use by at least a few years. In the 40s, it was dexedrine that was the go-to drug for ADHD (called minimal brain dysfunction or hyperactivity at that point.) And in fact, benzedrine, which is a racemic mixture of d and l amphetamine (just like adderall), predates even dexedrine.

So really Adderall is the oldest of the three medicines.

Methamphetamine predates even Benzedrine.

Ritalin is definitely the first place to start because it is the most commonly prescribed and doctors don't have the same qualms about prescribing it that they do amphetamines, but it is by no means the first ADHD drug.

Is this in the usa? Because I grew up in Canada, and Ritalin was the only drug around. I went to a school with a lot of students with ADHD and a summer camp. No one took anything BUT Ritalin. I was that weird kid who asked way to many questions and was curious to what other people were taking/doing to handle their ADHD. It could have been that once Ritalin came out, Adderall sort faded away for a little bit. There have been fades on what drugs are the best and what are not. Not jut in the ADHD world.
OR it wasn't as commonly prescribed in Canada. *shrug*.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Adderall is just a slightly shittier version of dexedrine,

And by shittier, you mean fancier, right? Adderall is 25% dexedrine.

DrNewton posted:

It could have been that once Ritalin came out, Adderall sort faded away for a little bit.

Ritalin came out in 1955. Adderall came out in 1996.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Zhentar posted:

No, I mean shittier. Levoamphetamine is more side effect ridden and less therapeutic than dextroamphetamine. And Adderall is 75% dextroamphetamine, not 25%.

Just because Shire (Rexar at the time) slapped together a few different dextroamphetamine salts with a bit of racemic amphetamine salts and patented it doesn't change the fact that it's just dextroamphetamine combined with a bit of lovely ol' l-amph.

If you'd like to learn more, check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obetrol Adderall is the reformulation of Obetrol, a preparation of mixed amphetamine salt from the 50s.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 17, 2014

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It's 75% dextroamphetamine, but only 25% is dextroamphetamine sulfate. Perhaps the inclusion of levoamphetamine does increase the side effects, but the mix of several salts that are processed at slightly different rates is certainly a substantial improvement over pure dextroamphetamine sulfate.

I wasn't aware of the history with Obetrol. That's quite interesting.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Zhentar posted:

Ha! I was right! Thank you!

Still... the person who originally asked which med's to try first. Ritalin.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Good news!

Saw the GP. She gave me clearance to go back on the Dexedrine, as there's no mention of GERD as a side effect anywhere in the literature.

I also want to give the Dex Spansules ER a try again, because we think that that GERD? Was caused by me drinking decaf coffee all day, and not eating adequate meals. And while the decaf coffee doesn't have caffeine, it does have acid. Because if I started that drug in November, and the GERD didn't flare up until the next April? It's probably not being caused by that drug.

(I did have a flareup of GERD that was genuinely caused by a drug, and it was pretty evident after two days. Paxil worked great for my depression. Unfortunately, it felt like someone set my stomach alight, for hours at a time, and Tums didn't even come close to putting it out.)

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
Is there anything that is safe for pregnancy and breastfeeding? I'm on Adderall but never looked into anything else (aside from Concerta several years ago, but it didn't work), and I'm pretty sure that when I decide to have kids I am going to be screwed. Right now I'm a student by day and deliver pizzas at night, but if it weren't for the cat drugs I'd be unable to function at work or stay awake.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

samizdat posted:

Is there anything that is safe for pregnancy and breastfeeding? I'm on Adderall but never looked into anything else (aside from Concerta several years ago, but it didn't work), and I'm pretty sure that when I decide to have kids I am going to be screwed. Right now I'm a student by day and deliver pizzas at night, but if it weren't for the cat drugs I'd be unable to function at work or stay awake.

There has not been a great deal of studies conducted on this topic to go off of. You will want to discuss it carefully with your doctor. Lower doses seem to not pass through lactation in some of the reading I've done on it, but again its woefully understudied. The first three months, you'll be in the fourth trimester anyway so I don't think getting back on :catdrugs: will be an issue until after that.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

There has not been a great deal of studies conducted on this topic to go off of. You will want to discuss it carefully with your doctor. Lower doses seem to not pass through lactation in some of the reading I've done on it, but again its woefully understudied. The first three months, you'll be in the fourth trimester anyway so I don't think getting back on :catdrugs: will be an issue until after that.

Thanks so much. I can understand the lack of study, since it is kinda amphetamine plus unborn children so I'm sure that's an ethics land mine. I see my doctor again in a couple weeks so I'll ask her how she'd handle it. I was just hoping there's a magical safe thing that exists so I don't turn into a mess.

I have seen such improvement since my formal diagnosis of ADHD and getting on Adderall and keep crazy to-do lists and massive organization, so I'm scared of losing my footing and going back to being a person who has to nap/exercise every four hours to make my mind "fresh" on top of a baby.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

samizdat posted:

Is there anything that is safe for pregnancy and breastfeeding?

My P-Doc and my OB-GYN told me that if I were to get pregnant again I'd likely be referred to a geneticist (!) because they are really well-versed in what different drugs and health issues do to babies. Neither was really sure what would be most safe.

I had good luck reading https://www.crazymeds.us; people there have read the studies and PI sheets in detail.

If you are set on breastfeeding over formula, you have fewer options, since some drugs don't cross the placenta well but are expressed in breastmilk. You can use a milk bank if it's important to you, but formula is pretty great these days.

You may also want to stop by the Parenting Megathread and see what folks there know.

bitter almond
Jul 29, 2012

I went through the pregnancy/breast feeding/meds issue. I'll post when I'm in front of a real keyboard.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Sorry if I ask anything that's been answered already, it's a bit hard to search through the thread.

What's the best book for just the mechanics behind ADD? That H has been dropped, hasn't it?

Recently I've come to worry a bit I may have ADD, or suffer from similar symptoms at least. I've been diagnosed as Dyspraxic and Dyslexic, and from what I gather, there's a bit of overlap with ADD and Autism that I'm quite interested in looking into. My main concern is my lack of a healthy working memory, I often, often, forget my train of thought, and it leads into anxieties with organising my words and talking to people

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Because of the suggestions here, I picked up Delivered from Distraction, and it was amazingly eye opening. It does a really great job of spending probably half the book explaining what it's like to have ADHD and goes through a bunch of stories of how different people or their family members were diagnosed and how they coped with it. It also gives tons of great advice, which ANYONE can benefit from, whether or not you actually have ADHD. I think the best part, though, is how upbeat and positive Dr. Hallowell is. It's really important to keep in mind your positives, or you'll get bogged down with how "broken" you are.

Also, it's ADD that was dropped. :) They call it Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder, and then give you a subtype of either Predominantly Inattentive, Predominantly Hyperactive/Impulsive, or Combined Type, I think the acronyms are ADHD - PI and ADHD - C, and I'm not sure if there is a different one for the hyperactive subtype. Basically, it's all called ADHD now, but sometimes people will still say ADD because it's just easier to say.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

WolfensteinBag posted:

Because of the suggestions here, I picked up Delivered from Distraction, and it was amazingly eye opening. It does a really great job of spending probably half the book explaining what it's like to have ADHD and goes through a bunch of stories of how different people or their family members were diagnosed and how they coped with it. It also gives tons of great advice, which ANYONE can benefit from, whether or not you actually have ADHD. I think the best part, though, is how upbeat and positive Dr. Hallowell is. It's really important to keep in mind your positives, or you'll get bogged down with how "broken" you are.

Also, it's ADD that was dropped. :) They call it Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder, and then give you a subtype of either Predominantly Inattentive, Predominantly Hyperactive/Impulsive, or Combined Type, I think the acronyms are ADHD - PI and ADHD - C, and I'm not sure if there is a different one for the hyperactive subtype. Basically, it's all called ADHD now, but sometimes people will still say ADD because it's just easier to say.

Oh wow cheers for that, exactly what I was looking for. I don't think I have full blown ADHD, but I definitely share some of their problems. It's nice to hear how upbeat it is, one thing I hated was being told I was broken as a child or whatever, when in reality I've learnt that I just have a different way of doing things and the worst of the problems come from trying to conform to the methods that were pushed upon me.

I'll add this to my ereader and start plucking away through it in the mornings.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

Hungry Squirrel posted:

My P-Doc and my OB-GYN told me that if I were to get pregnant again I'd likely be referred to a geneticist (!) because they are really well-versed in what different drugs and health issues do to babies. Neither was really sure what would be most safe.

I had good luck reading https://www.crazymeds.us; people there have read the studies and PI sheets in detail.

If you are set on breastfeeding over formula, you have fewer options, since some drugs don't cross the placenta well but are expressed in breastmilk. You can use a milk bank if it's important to you, but formula is pretty great these days.

You may also want to stop by the Parenting Megathread and see what folks there know.

Geneticist?! Yikes. Thanks for pointing me in the CrazyMeds direction, they're thorough!

bitter almond posted:

I went through the pregnancy/breast feeding/meds issue. I'll post when I'm in front of a real keyboard.

I'm looking forward to your post when you're able. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baconface
Sep 13, 2005
Bacon = Love
Diagnosed w/ ADHD @ 9ish y.o
Also have diagnoses for Borderline Personality Disorder, and Oppositional Defiance Disorder

Was on ritalin, then later dexedrine as a child. This (I believe) led to some substance abuse issues with methamphetamine [dexedrine is amphetamine bla bla].

Currently on medical-disability-welfare for ADHD and shooting for something called AISH here which is much more money and a far more secure income as far as disability goes.