Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
The pronunciation of "gif" argument is the Internet equivalent of the argument over how to put toilet paper in the holder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Edit: I guess I can't find a way to keep this joke running without sounding like an insane person because it turns out that I care more about this than I thought, so for my sanity and yours I'm going to stop now.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Captain Novolin posted:

The pronunciation of "gif" argument is the Internet equivalent of the argument over how to put toilet paper in the holder

That should only matter if you have cats.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

THE G STANDS FOR GRAPHICS!!! GRAPHICS ISN['T PRNOUNCED JRAPHICS!!! TAKE MY FLYERS

Captain Novolin posted:

I HAVE PAMPHLETS FOR THIS TOO

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Didn't President Obama come out on this issue against the creator of the actual format? I'd take POTUS' word over Captain Nerdman any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The reason it is pronounced that way is because it's the typical case to pronounce g followed by an i with a soft g and not a hard one. Words where you don't do this are considered exceptions to the rule.

weird bleep posted:

THE G STANDS FOR GRAPHICS!!! GRAPHICS ISN['T PRNOUNCED JRAPHICS!!! TAKE MY FLYERS

THE P IN JPEG STANDS FOR PHOTOGRAPHIC. EVERYONE SHOULD SAY JFEG.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

The reason it is pronounced that way is because it's the typical case to pronounce g followed by an i with a soft g and not a hard one. Words where you don't do this are considered exceptions to the rule.

Oh jive me a break mr. Jrammar.

mortisXL
Jan 23, 2004
$297? More like $287!! LOL!

Dr. Stab posted:

THE P IN JPEG STANDS FOR PHOTOGRAPHIC. EVERYONE SHOULD SAY JFEG.

Yeah, you know, like one point twenty one jigawatts.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

This argument sucks. Stop having it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The only pronunciation chat that's allowed in this thread is Danielle Reindeau's Rhode Island accent.

FUCKIN' CASE CLOSED.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Sometimes when I need to unwind I look at a bunch of animated whogivesafucks of cats.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

The only pronunciation chat that's allowed in this thread is Danielle Reindeau's Rhode Island accent.

FUCKIN' CASE CLOSED.

A fuckin' cybahpunk cop-killah case no less.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I respect whichever pronunciation you happened to pick up first, but anyone who started one way and then flipped sides after one of these idiot debates is weak and has no honour.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Funkmaster General posted:

Edit: I guess I can't find a way to keep this joke running without sounding like an insane person because it turns out that I care more about this than I thought, so for my sanity and yours I'm going to stop now.
Wait until they talk about segues. :arghfist::spergin:

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
http://deathmtn.com/collections/all

That Sif shirt. :getin:

Had to post it for Gary and Kole. The Gravelord design is pretty great too.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

I'm 1.5 episodes into the Pitch. Are they all about body parts?

Naw. Just lots/some.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

cronox2 posted:

http://deathmtn.com/collections/all

That Sif shirt. :getin:

Had to post it for Gary and Kole. The Gravelord design is pretty great too.

Yeah, the others are a little too metal for me but that Sif shirt isn't bad at all.

Problem is I'd hear Sif's theme in my head all the time.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Three Sif Darkmoon.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

That tie dyed Sif shirt looks like a wild 70's experimental album cover. It's great.

So where does the new DLC fit into Bonfireside Chat? Being that it's behind the Rotten (and you've already beaten him in the show's play order) you could in theory do it anytime now, right? :)

I'm guessing you guys will do all the DLC at the end of this season (in order or release) but man, Crown of the Sunken King is the best content in the game (I'll argue this) and I selfishly want to hear your take on it sooner rather than later. If this is what the next two packs are going to be like I think everyone is in for a treat.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I won't speak for Gary, but I think our plans for DLC and miscellaneous topics will come into more focus after the Drangleic Castle. I'll feel more comfortable tackling the DLC on the show after I play all of them, because my hope is that there's a grand unifying theory behind them that will shed more light on the lore.

I intended to play the DLC last night, but I got sidetracked setting up the new audio interface that the Patreon bucks bought us. This week's The Level is its inaugural recording, and it's clear. as. a. bell. I'm really looking forward to having every host on their own track. Per-host EQ, compression, levels, and overtalk editing will be sweeeeet.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I just want to thank you two for giving me a way to hear new stuff about Dark Souls without having to interact with the Dark Souls fandom. Also that bit in the Huntsman Copse episode about the Skeleton Lords is hilarious.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

The other bit of housekeeping regarding the DLC is that each will definitely get it's own episode. In Season 1, we did Artorias of the Abyss as one huge show. There was some worry about how much content would be in the new DLC and Sunken King is definitely enough to fill an episode. Yay for 3 more episodes!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The end of the latest Idle Thumbs, oh god my sides. Thanks for not cutting that Chris.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
you know, i wont say i particularly enjoyed that last couple minutes but im glad it happened and it's out there forever. because i now know just what truly terrible human beings i listen to on a weekly basis

also they joked about going 4 hours, i looked at the giant bomb podcast length i downloaded for the week and it's 3hr39m. what the gently caress

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Destiny: Pros UI/hair tech. Cons - game.

I also didn't realise emilio estefez and charlie sheen were brothers.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

also they joked about going 4 hours, i looked at the giant bomb podcast length i downloaded for the week and it's 3hr39m. what the gently caress

Brad needs to get better at running e-mails now that he's heading up the show. Which tbqh I think is a positive change.

Dan Ryckert needs to like, idk, spend a year living on a deserted island or something Arrow-style.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Rei_ posted:

Brad needs to get better at running e-mails now that he's heading up the show. Which tbqh I think is a positive change.

Dan Ryckert needs to like, idk, spend a year living on a deserted island or something Arrow-style.

I love what Dan brings to the podcast, his food issues and weird opinions make him seem like an exaggerated version of Jeff. :allears:

Terminator 3 was alright

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Vastakaiun posted:

Terminator 3 was alright

Bitch this thread has been a troll-free zone for months and here you come

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Vastakaiun posted:

I love what Dan brings to the podcast, his food issues and weird opinions make him seem like an exaggerated version of Jeff. :allears:

Terminator 3 was alright

Like they said it has some cool set pieces but man it's pretty poo poo. Not as bad as Salvation but up there.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

On the Dan Ryckert tip, y'all should read "his" "book" "Former Baseball Player Sucks at Crowdfunding".

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com

Kerbalcast Episode 11 is up! :jeb:

Our impressions with first contract.
More clues to the contest.
A guy wrote a story about Kerbal Zombies.
Nos goes to the Mun!

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I feel like the Bombcast has splintered to such an extent now that the spark isn't there for me and I can't really enjoy it anymore.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Szmitten posted:

I feel like the Bombcast has splintered to such an extent now that the spark isn't there for me and I can't really enjoy it anymore.

Vinny not being there really takes the wind out of the sails. As much as I like Brad, he can barely describe a game even while being asked direct questions, and he never really asks insightful things about the games the other crew are playing. Vinny had a real talent for interviewing that Brad seems to lack.

I know Jeff has said he wants to really shake up the format of the Bombcast, so hopefully it'll get better over time. Right now it just seems like a few boring dudes talking about games. Jeff, Vinny, and Ryan (:() really made up for that format with their personalities.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What? I think the bombcast is better than it has been in a while, thanks to the inclusion of Dan and Brad becoming host. It's great.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Szmitten posted:

I know what you mean. The original four of them had such good chemistry, it feels completely different now.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I just hate that the only way to get some Vinny now is by wading through some Navarro. Some prices are too high.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What? I think the bombcast is better than it has been in a while, thanks to the inclusion of Dan and Brad becoming host. It's great.

Definitely. This last episode was really great.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

The worst thing about the bombcast is that they interrupt their bullshitting to talk about video games, a subject none of them have anything interesting to say about. It's always been like that though, and I'd say the new hires are pushing it even further in the 'dumb talkshow' direction, which - to me, anyway - feels like playing to their strengths.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Losing Ryan forced Drew into more content, and that kinda hit a sweet spot which was different but still entertaining. It'd be dickish to begrudge Vinny for moving, but doing so has strained the site's output into a direction I have little interest in anymore. I've seen/heard 3-4 long pieces of content featuring Dan, and going by that and the comments in the RGD thread (which are all very positive so I know I'm a minority here) I just find him and his antics/stories too...obnoxiously dumb? Which kinda leaves me without an individual (besides Drew) or a pairing that I can relate to or feel a tempered dynamic for. Vinny's stuck with Alex. Patrick and the other Chicagonians exist in a bubble. The main site is down to Brad who's lost to DOTA; Jeff has really loving specific tastes and/or gets jaded as gently caress and is a huge downer without Vinny; and I don't really want to hear about Dan Ryckert doing whatever dumb delinquent poo poo like getting drunk and pissing on his father's gifts or whatever it is the other thread makes 200 posts a day about (I know this makes me sound prude-ish). I don't hate the non-video game stuff, I love it, I always did, they should sit on cakes all the time, but it feels increasingly insular or unbounded or something else that I can't put my finger on.

The site's just floating into a direction I can't be bothered to follow anymore, and it's a bummer that after 5+ years everything I liked about it is dissipating. That or it's because all these changes happened in the middle of a release wasteland and there's nothing to build content around which is also a possibility I guess.

EDIT: vvv I find solo stuff really weak :shobon:

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I just can't see it like that. Giant Bomb has gotten way better in the past couple of weeks with new content every day. Alex and Vinny is a great team, I think, and some of the best videos in a while have been Vinny by himself so its not like you have to "endure" Alex to see him.

• Locked thread