Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

MONKET posted:

if the fabled samurai jack movie came out this year would anyone still give a poo poo

i have never cared for samurai jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I did when I was a kid, but it's just sorta bad when you actually pay attention to what's going on.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
is this the serious thread about serious anime
because this is serious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckJc2qazNkU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is that show as bad as the wikipedia summary suggests

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
it's anime so yes

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

this is funny bc ghibli hasn't made a good movie in like 12 years and in particular the last two miyazaki directed were total garbage

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
shots fired

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
What was wrong with The Wind Rises

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Al Cowens posted:

The Wind Rises had people doin mouth noises for all the airplanes and other sound effects and Werner Herzog was the weird german dude in the english dub. A good movie.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

kill la kill kill la killed anime

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

COBRARocky posted:

kill la kill kill la killed anime

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MONKET posted:

if the fabled samurai jack movie came out this year would anyone still give a poo poo
i watched an episode once

no force on earth could get me to watch another

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

I remember samurai jack being really cool 10 years ago but I can't for the life of me remember if it was good or bad from a mature standpoint, but that's probably an exercise in futility anyway because you're judging what's essentially a cartoon made for children

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

mango gay touchies posted:

I remember samurai jack being really cool 10 years ago but I can't for the life of me remember if it was good or bad from a mature standpoint, but that's probably an exercise in futility anyway because you're judging what's essentially a cartoon made for children

The first season was pretty eh but later seasons were pretty cool and there are still some really good episodes that are fun no matter what age you are when watching

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Spacedad posted:

To be fair, aside from a few standout series, anime has been largely pretty bad lately. The industry had a great boom in the early to mid 2000s and then in the last 5-6 or so years has caved in on itself, catering mostly to otaku with un-relatable repetitive crap. Even Jojo's bizarre adventure is just an otaku pandering exercise - it's fun, but it's a hollow sugar-high rush. (And Jojos is just a faithful adaption of the 80s-90s manga.)

It's gotten so awful that the legendary Hayao Miyazaki saw fit to call it out: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131872-Hayao-Miyazaki-Anime-Suffers-Because-the-Industry-is-Full-of-Otaku

I used to try to point people to good series a lot more, but now I hardly bother - so little of it is any good right now. I'm starting to look to other countries for possibly making breakout good series.

This is my alltime favorite anime show though, and it was back in 2003 that it had its run. It's an example of the industry when it's at its storytelling best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io3uS4uA0wI

mushi-shi? kyousougiga? chihayafuru? space dandy? fma brotherhood? tatami galaxy?

like, i haven't been following anime for long, but outside of miyazaki, from where i'm standing it appears that anime has pretty much always been like this. i mean maybe the otakus are multiplying or something, but it doesn't seem to me like there's some crippling drought of good anime being made today, just lots of really bad stuff in addition. don't watch that, problem solved

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 18, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

icantfindaname posted:

mushi-shi? kyousougiga? chihayafuru? space dandy? fma brotherhood? tatami galaxy?

like, i haven't been following anime for long, but outside of miyazaki, from where i'm standing it appears that anime has pretty much always been like this. i mean maybe the otakus are multiplying or something, but it doesn't seem to me like there's some crippling drought of good anime being made today, just lots of really bad stuff in addition. don't watch that, problem solved

Like I said, there are some standout series that are exceptions to what has become the rule. Also some of those came at the tail end of the good times leading into the implosion of the industry. :sigh:

Oh, and Space Dandy is fantastic, but it on the surface is reflective of otaku nostalgia. (And also, some throwbacks and spoofs of the anime created in Japan for the US during the 80s.) It's really deceptive though, because the series gets bizarrely experimental and at times heartfelt. It is pretty drat clever. Definitely an exception to the rule show.

And yes, it absolutely deserves all the love it gets - especially with this surrealistic episode: http://video.adultswim.com/space-dandy/plants-are-living-things-too-baby.html

Al Cowens posted:

The Wind Rises, Miyazaki's (presumably) final film apparently, heavily pissed off the Japanese equivalent of the tea party + neo-nazis. A good movie.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 18, 2014

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Spacedad posted:

The Wind Rises, Miyazaki's (presumably) final film apparently, heavily pissed off the Japanese equivalent of the tea party + neo-nazis. A good movie.
It also pissed off the left because it wasn't a one-sidedly negative portrayal of a guy who made war machines

during war time

in a country where military service was mandatory

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
The Wind Rises was a good movie

and I legit enjoyed Kill la Kill but I lost interest around episode 12

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

lol anime has always been otaku pandering i have no idea what this implosion is. all that's changed is instead of 10-15 shows per season with maybe 1 or 2 being good there's now like 30 shows per season with maybe 1 or 2 being good

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Spacedad posted:

Like I said, there are some standout series that are exceptions to what has become the rule. Also some of those came at the tail end of the good times leading into the implosion of the industry. :sigh:

you said it imploded in the mid 2000s? the oldest of the shows i mentioned came out in 2010. mushishi's second season is airing now. it doesn't seem to me like there's been any decline in the amount of good anime being made, just a much larger increase in the bad anime. and like i said, don't watch that, problem solved.

and with those comments miyazaki made, i don't think miyazaki considered stuff like cowboy bebop, flcl, planetes, whatever, as good. i know the last he worked in the 'regular'/TV anime industry was the 80s. he's an angry, bitter old man who hates nazis and makes really good movies, so that's cool, but i have a feeling he would be complaining just as bad 10 years ago.

also i just watched nausicaa, that's a pro watch right there. nothing like some good old leftie anti-war preaching. also holy poo poo the art and setting is good

edit:

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

lol anime has always been otaku pandering i have no idea what this implosion is. all that's changed is instead of 10-15 shows per season with maybe 1 or 2 being good there's now like 30 shows per season with maybe 1 or 2 being good

yeah this

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 18, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Mushi-shi's anime came out in 2005 and was right in the middle of the good times anime was having. I'm happy to hear it's getting a new season though.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

It has been, but not to the extent that it is now. This big issue is that a lot of creators who wanted to create more original work had been sidelined by the industry, which has been actively focusing more and more on otaku content - whereas even in those shows you list in that image, there are many that are definitely not otaku pandering.

I don't even really mind otaku pandering - some of it isn't even bad at all, nerd culture being what it is. The problem is that it becomes insular and un-relatable after a while as the audience and creators really stop bringing anything original or interesting to the table. (Or as Miyazaki puts it, 'people who hate people' drawing things that have no relation to reality or human experience.)

Anyway, unrelated to what I'm talking about, here's a thing I found that's pretty neat to look at for pre-Akira experimental anime artists earning their chops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xTks9BNbTc

There's some pretty fantastically imaginative action segments in this too. It's probably one of the most 80s-anime of animes I've seen.

Rightly so to - it's directed by Ichiro 'Missile Circus' Itano.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 18, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i'm not really sure if the growth in popularity of nerd-anime is necessarily a bad thing though. there doesn't seem to be any more artistically meritous anime than there was in 2000 but i don't think that's a situation worthy of panic or much more than mild concern, because you should always want things to improve in general. it's not like the artistic talent is being destroyed and isn't coming back, there seem to still be competent people in the industry. it just seems panicky and ridiculous to make claims like anime being dead or terrible or whatever, especially when it doesn't seem to be any less popular than it ever was

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

It should be taken as a wake-up-call to animators and young artists in Japan to push things in a new direction.

It should also be taken as a battle-cry for western animators to maybe pick up the slack where Japanese animation has fallen. Things seem to be moving in a better direction for TV animation now in the US at least.

Really though, I can't complain TOO much as the medium that is doing exactly the things I want to see more animation do right now is games.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 18, 2014

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

i dont really know how to argue against originality because people could argue theres nothing new under the sun all day. but i do feel there are still people like watanabe yuasa and shinbo doing "original and interesting" stuff

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Of course - it's just that the odds are rather nastily stacked against creators with originality and heart to their work right now. The talent is still there - it's the culture of the industry that needs a kick in the balls.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Spacedad posted:

It should be taken as a wake-up-call to animators and young artists in Japan to push things in a new direction.

It should also be taken as a battle-cry for western animators to maybe pick up the slack where Japanese animation has fallen. Things seem to be moving in a better direction for TV animation now in the US at least.

Really though, I can't complain TOO much as the medium that is doing exactly the things I want to see more animation do right now is games.

well that would make sense, considering video games are a new medium and are much bigger now than they were 20 years ago. it's like if tv or movie fans started screaming "NOT GOOD ENOUGH", in response to video games existing as a medium and insisted the industry was about to flop over dead any day now

in a metaphysical sense maybe we should all be screaming not good enough about everything, but i think it's OK for a medium to be established.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

icantfindaname posted:

well that would make sense, considering video games are a new medium and are much bigger now than they were 20 years ago. it's like if tv or movie fans started screaming "NOT GOOD ENOUGH", in response to video games existing as a medium and insisted the industry was about to flop over dead any day now

Getting people to check out original and interesting art/media is a bit like getting a little kid who doesn't want anything other than he's used to eating to try something different & exotic. Once they try it, they often find they like it.

The fact that you can see someone play and enjoy a game on youtube or twitch before you buy it - where you can't really do that for TV/movies - is something unique to the medium and it's resulted in a lot of surprise hits out of very original and interesting games. It doesn't require the effort of a demo, and a well-liked youtuber can often show off what makes a game worth playing rather better than playing a demo could. I personally think this is one of the biggest reasons why we've seen a huge boom of very original and creative content in the games industry now. It makes me wonder how the business model for animation could also evolve.

quote:

in a metaphysical sense maybe we should all be screaming not good enough about everything, but i think it's OK for a medium to be established.

Well yeah, we always want art to keep moving forward - when it doesn't, it stagnates and becomes something we can't relate to.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 18, 2014

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Spacedad posted:

Getting people to check out original and interesting art/media is a bit like getting a little kid who doesn't want anything other than he's used to eating to try something different & exotic. Once they try it, they often find they like it.

The fact that you can see someone play and enjoy a game on youtube or twitch before you buy it - where you can't really do that for TV/movies - is something unique to the medium and it's resulted in a lot of surprise hits out of very original and interesting games. It doesn't require the effort of a demo, and a well-liked youtuber can often show off what makes a game worth playing rather better than playing a demo could. I personally think this is one of the biggest reasons why we've seen a huge boom of very original and creative content in the games industry now. It makes me wonder how the business model for animation could also evolve.

So what you're saying...is...that anime is good?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Matoi Ryuko posted:

So what you're saying...is...that anime is good?

Yes, but it could be way better.

Maybe digital distribution around the world will wind up creating a new boom that kicks Japan out of its stagnation. (With other countries also kicking off similar booms.)

The flipside danger of this is what you are seeing in the rise of broad-appeal mass-market movies that are making huge money but slowly killing the movie business as a whole.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

anime......... is bad

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

what did dr stench tell him

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
memes work exactly like genes and incest is really bad

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

but i do feel there are still people like watanabe yuasa doing "original and interesting" stuff

Ping Pong is really good

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

quakster posted:

memes work exactly like genes and incest is really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sheng-ji Yang posted: