Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Sigma-X posted:

2 or 3 drop fliers with citizenry is a much better combo as it doesn't rely on Vulture who is the second worst flier. 2 or 3 drop creatures in general are a much better combo with citizen as very loving little deals with a 4/4 or 4/5 attacking on turn 4.

Vulture is playable in certain decks but he is almost always the 23rd card.

The 1/3 flier at 2 is incredibly playable in Sapphire. He is very similar in the fliers deck to Guard Dog, except he can receive a pump and become an aggressive flier. A 1/3 flier favorably blocks a number of 2 and 3 drops, including other fliers, and blocks without dying nearly every 2 and 3 drop in the format.

He also blocks thunderbird all day, not that I'd pick him above thunderbird. He is very playable across a wide variety of Sapphire decks and becomes a very premium pickup with the +1/+1 champ or the +3/0 champ.

I will play the 1/3 flier in sapphire over vulture all the time.

Yeah, I don't think anyone should take my comments as recommending vulture as a high pick, but sometimes the later packs don't shake out for you, and if you're an aggro deck with no 5 drops, he's probably a better choice than some paladin of naagaan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I was drafting last night and was putting together a pretty standard Sapphire / Diamond deck when I get a pack 3 Volcannon and I'm just like "let's do this"

Not having the usual Ruby removal or very many dwarves / robots was a bit weird, but honestly having Noble Citizens and Repels worked out just as well and you only really need 1 dwarf / robot at a time so holding onto Bertram's charge power for when you get Sorrow'd / etc was fine

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Welp, tournaments are down for some reason.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
Reading this Hex response to WotC is very amusing. It is a much longer, much more formal version of the goon (Karnegal?) who said not to take WotC seriously because they say words such as "I wouldn't be surprised if" in their official response.

For example: "Plaintiff does not identify any specific instance of infringement. Instead, Plaintiff relies on blog posts and online forum comments from anonymous third parties to support its infringement allegations."

I approve.

Edit: I just saw a post about Paul T. Meiklejohn, the lawyer defending CZE against WotC. That guy is a pro. Apparently he's beaten WotC before in similar cases. I am feeling a lot more confident about this.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 18, 2014

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Cory's blog has a bunch of new spoilers:
http://coryhudsonjones.tumblr.com/post/92087690913/where-the-hell-am-i

The Blood Orc and the Stormlings are hella awesome. Scheme seems lame as gently caress on first read and became immediately more interesting one I thought about Ragefire. Not good, but interesting.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Cool blog post by cory with a bunch of Set 2 spoilers; http://coryhudsonjones.tumblr.com/post/92087690913/where-the-hell-am-i

edit; defeated!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Afgad posted:

Reading this Hex response to WotC is very amusing. It is a much longer, much more formal version of the goon (Karnegal?) who said not to take WotC seriously because they say words such as "I wouldn't be surprised if" in their official response.

For example: "Plaintiff does not identify any specific instance of infringement. Instead, Plaintiff relies on blog posts and online forum comments from anonymous third parties to support its infringement allegations."

I approve.

Edit: I just saw a post about Paul T. Meiklejohn, the lawyer defending CZE against WotC. That guy is a pro. Apparently he's beaten WotC before in similar cases. I am feeling a lot more confident about this.

Yeah, I never saw this as a lawsuit that would shut the game down on legal grounds. The only real questions were, would the get an injunction that stopped HEX, and would they be able to bleed them out on legal fees so as to force them to crumble under lack of funds. I mean, they may have to change some things or even pay some fees, but the real question was could WotC bury them in legal fees. It seem like the answer is no, which is great, because I really don't like to support company that would rather litigate than innovate. I've since stopped buying WotC stuff whenever possible. I'm sure the new D&D will still make plenty of money without my $75 or whatever, but gently caress them anyway.

EDIT: I want to add that I really like the design space they're playing in with orcs benefiting from damaging both your opponent AND yourself.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 18, 2014

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Eh, none of those spoilers strike me as competitively viable. The orc is, at its core, a 4/4 with no protection against removal (except in blood/wild, but that still doesn't give protection against Extinction). The storm cloud is a basic action to sacrifice, making it very much a gamble. And, of course, Scheme does absolutely nothing for your current board state.

The cloud and orc will be fun in limited play, though, which is fine with me since I prefer limited.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zurai posted:

Eh, none of those spoilers strike me as competitively viable. The orc is, at its core, a 4/4 with no protection against removal (except in blood/wild, but that still doesn't give protection against Extinction). The storm cloud is a basic action to sacrifice, making it very much a gamble. And, of course, Scheme does absolutely nothing for your current board state.

The cloud and orc will be fun in limited play, though, which is fine with me since I prefer limited.

The Orc is actually really awesome since he triggers off your own orcs doing damage to you. This is currently Fang, Mountain, and Shamed Orc.

Your God Hand scenario of Fang into Shamed and attack opponent, into attack opponent with both is a 2 mana 4/4 with double sockets on the table on turn 3.

A more reasonable orc play is turn 1 orc, turn 2 orc, turn 3 removal or orc, leading to 4 damage instances done by an orc after your combat step on turn 4, which makes this guy a beast still.

Now this assumes he's in your opener, and he certainly flexes in value if he is not. Based on what else is in Set 2 though, he could be very potent. The current Orc build I've posted is R/b and avoids running much suicide, but with more Orcs in Set 2 we could see a Blood/Diamond orc list with Dimmid to offset running a large number of self-damaging orcs.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
With double ruby sockets the Orc could both potentially hit for its power as a etb effect and have speed to attack same turn, making it a great aggro finisher.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
The orc isn't constructed playable in the current format but honestly I think most creatures are unplayable. I do think Scheme might be playable, both with escalate in control decks and just to allow you cut down on the number of win conditions.

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?
Hahaha, people in the chat are talking about how Scheme is going to make mill viable.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

All Nines posted:

Hahaha, people in the chat are talking about how Scheme is going to make mill viable.

You have to cast 4 escalating mills to mill their whole deck. 4 of that and 4 scheme is probably enough to rely on it as a win-con, which lets you run creatureless to blank their removal...

Nah, this is still terrible.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
We can Scheme to get an extra 4 copies of Comet Strike into our deck!

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Has no one thought of scheming a scheme?

Insta-win.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Running a draft with a couple of other goons providing commentary. http://www.twitch.tv/slifter/

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Yes draftmates, I'll take a 3rd pick Mirror Knight. Thanks for paying for my next 5 drafts!

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
The question is though can you scheme more schemes? Or is that too much like wishing for more wishes?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Here is Stovetop posted:

The question is though can you scheme more schemes? Or is that too much like wishing for more wishes?

If the geniecard doesn't specify...

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Schemes within schemes within Chimes of the Zodiac within oh no I lost

Also I'm at work so can't listen in to Slifter's draft so maybe he is doing this but I wish that streamers would have some kind of Skype co-host; they could manage the chat comments so that the drafter doesn't have to focus on people pissing in his ear about what plays to make, plus something to break up boredom between matches

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Scheme's not that great a card unless you're running enough card draw to make up for the fact that you're basically spending 2 resource to do nothing until you draw the next card.

That said yeah it makes escalation decks much more threatening.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 18, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Grim posted:

Schemes within schemes within Chimes of the Zodiac within oh no I lost

Also I'm at work so can't listen in to Slifter's draft so maybe he is doing this but I wish that streamers would have some kind of Skype co-host; they could manage the chat comments so that the drafter doesn't have to focus on people pissing in his ear about what plays to make, plus something to break up boredom between matches

Slifter actually has TWO co-hosts. We're just not managing the chat because there is no chat at the moment.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
No one likes briar legion in (swiss) draft I guess (admittedly, there were a ton of things going much later than in regular competitive draft). Since it's Swiss, let's have fun.
AFK for the start of the draft...computer picks Princess Victoria. Can't complain about that.
Briar Legion #1 and 2 in an otherwise uneventful/directionless pack 1? Sure.
Rare draft Resurrection pack 2 pick 2 or 3? Meh, Sure.
Take Inner Conflict x3 over Briar Legions? Sure.
End up with 7x Briar Legions for fun? Ok, time for 3 drops.

Edit:
Game 1, stuck on 3 lands..with 3 briar legion :)

logis fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 18, 2014

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Briar Legions are a risky proposition, because there's usually not that many floating around in draft. It'll usually be about what, 2-3?

Sometimes, though, it pays off.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

Cory's blog has a bunch of new spoilers:
http://coryhudsonjones.tumblr.com/post/92087690913/where-the-hell-am-i

The Blood Orc and the Stormlings are hella awesome. Scheme seems lame as gently caress on first read and became immediately more interesting one I thought about Ragefire. Not good, but interesting.

Storm Cloud is my new favorite card. I don't give a gently caress what else they release in Set 2, nothing can possibly beat Storm Cloud.

look at dat fukken cloud

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Glidergun posted:

Storm Cloud is my new favorite card. I don't give a gently caress what else they release in Set 2, nothing can possibly beat Storm Cloud.

look at dat fukken cloud

Yeah, I feel like I'll probably never play him in constructed unless it's a goofy PvE deck. But, gently caress if that isn't the happiest drat cloud ever.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
There was a bigger version on a previous Cory blog post;

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

The birds are its eyebrows aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Scheme's not that great a card unless you're running enough card draw to make up for the fact that you're basically spending 2 resource to do nothing until you draw the next card.

That said yeah it makes escalation decks much more threatening.
Did someone say Escalation?

Wyatt the Sapper

Troops
3x Mentor of the Song
1x Archmage Wrenlocke

Spells
4x Burn
2x Burn to the Ground
4x Heat Wave
4x Ragefire
3x Time Ripple
4x Countermagic
3x Heart of fire
2x Mesmerize
4x Oracle Song
2x Scheme

Then 24 shards IDK, the point is a counter-burn deck might actually be fun to try, just need a better draw spell to replace the 3 oracle's songs. Depending on the matchup you can pop the scheme to bolster whatever card you might need - Counterspell versus control, Burn to the Ground/Ragefire late game, Heart of fire if you want to live the dream.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

LightReaper posted:

Did someone say Escalation?

Then 24 shards IDK, the point is a counter-burn deck might actually be fun to try, just need a better draw spell to replace the 3 oracle's songs. Depending on the matchup you can pop the scheme to bolster whatever card you might need - Counterspell versus control, Burn to the Ground/Ragefire late game, Heart of fire if you want to live the dream.

This is the deck I've been playing around with lately: http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=7702

It's pretty dang effective once it gets rolling but it's finicky to get started. I'd probably just take three of the four-count blue cards and drop a Scheme in to replace them. It's easy to point to Ragefire, but think about Scheming Mastery of Time? With Wrenlocke in play?

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is the deck I've been playing around with lately: http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=7702

It's pretty dang effective once it gets rolling but it's finicky to get started. I'd probably just take three of the four-count blue cards and drop a Scheme in to replace them. It's easy to point to Ragefire, but think about Scheming Mastery of Time? With Wrenlocke in play?
Has the Kindling Skarn done good work for you? It seems really slow and prone to removal to warrant a slot, though I had originally thought to give it a go. If I did run it I probably wouldn't run it with any cards above 4 mana cost (so no Mastery of Time) because of the nature of the level up mechanic.

I didn't include MoT because I don't have any copies, and Ragefire seems more stable in the early game and with the rest of the deck gives us so much burn/removal to work with. I am certainly interested in your build, have you taken it to any 128 mans?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I haven't taken it to any tournaments yet -- I have a hard enough time squeezing in my weekly free drafts as it is. I might try it in an 8-man just to see. It's done well in proving grounds but the only time I've faced a truly amped-up blood diamond deck I lost to a turn 3 Angel so go figure (the Inquisition I got hit with didn't help either).

The Skarn is basically fodder, but fodder that can turn into a real threat if it isn't dealt with, and it balances out the low end of the mana curve well. The "win pattern" is generally get an existing threat down -- the Skarn, the Incantation, Ancestor's Chosen -- then use the Mastery of Time to escalate that threat and win with it. I was leery of MoT myself at first but since it counts as an "action" it gives card draw with Wrenlocke and it plus a Burn can evolve your Skarn. What really makes MoT the kicker though is how it interacts with Fulmination and the Incantation. If you have a Fulmination or two in play when you fire the MoT you've suddenly got *huge* card advantage, even accounting for the free cards Fulmination gives your opponent. If you get a second or third MoT to fire . . .

The biggest problem it has is that it's got a lot of two-threshold cards so it's vulnerable to mana screw, and of course it's a slow deck to get started. Honestly if I had a few Vampire Kings I'd probably be playing blood/diamond like everyone else but you go to war with the cards you have, not the cards you want to have :P

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 18, 2014

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

How does Heart of Fire interact with escalation on Ragefire? Is it going to start escalating by 3? Because holy poo poo if so.

Begath
Apr 27, 2012

Fish are stupid cause they can't climb trees.
Anybody know what's the most recent news about PvE at this point? Does it look like set 2 will be out before PvE?

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Begath posted:

Anybody know what's the most recent news about PvE at this point? Does it look like set 2 will be out before PvE?

I don't know if they've stated this specifically, but I think set two is expected soon, maybe around gencon. I assume PvE is still aways off. I think they want to get more fundamental stuff in first, like trading.

Also, I wanna open all these chests.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Begath posted:

Yeah, I think PvE is probably fairly far off (I'd be surprised to see it before the end of the year). We haven't heard much

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Gross Dude posted:

I don't know if they've stated this specifically, but I think set two is expected soon, maybe around gencon. I assume PvE is still aways off. I think they want to get more fundamental stuff in first, like trading.

Also, I wanna open all these chests.
Yeah, the fact they are spoiling cards pretty casually for set 2 means I think they'll hit their august deadline, but I wouldn't be surprised if PvE takes a while to get here as they've yet to show us any gameplay of PvE at all. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Q3/Q4 release at the earliest.

Edit: Anyone else notice they buffed the payouts for constructed 8 mans? I'm tempted to try and grind some deck ideas through those if a 128 isn't available - have queues been popping off for it?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

LightReaper posted:

Edit: Anyone else notice they buffed the payouts for constructed 8 mans? I'm tempted to try and grind some deck ideas through those if a 128 isn't available - have queues been popping off for it?

I did notice. How long does it take? Has anyone tried it / how competitive is it?

For that matter how long does a full 128 man take now? I'm really limited on how I can block out my time.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I did one during the free 128 mans and it was as competitive as the 128 mans were at the end.

The payout seems pretty good. Play the cheap orcs deck I've posted and you can take some packs XD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?
I've been hesitant to sell cards to buy more competitive cards since I want to collect playsets, but then I remembered that I've ended up with two playsets of regular-art Extinction in addition to the ones I got for kickstarting, so I might just have to make that Orc deck for next week.

• Locked thread