Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

After leaving WWE, D-Lo revealed he had been a prisoner of a oppressed dictator.

R U V?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Pet Rock Band posted:

D-Lo had a fun TNA run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lggf4uBYLsg

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
..."Oppressed Dictator"?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Gaz-L posted:

..."Oppressed Dictator"?

it's TNA, correct grammar are for nerds

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Hey, the steroid investigation of the early '90s was comparable to 9/11, just ask Steph. That counts as oppression.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

d'lo brown was a very good wrestler who was quite over at points in his career but they never pulled the trigger on him. as far as attitude era wrestlers go, he stood out as a talented hand.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

I was there for that! drat, I miss the Asylum.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

WeaponX posted:

d'lo brown was a very good wrestler who was quite over at points in his career but they never pulled the trigger on him. as far as attitude era wrestlers go, he stood out as a talented hand.

Crippling Droz didn't help. I know it wasn't his fault, but he didn't recursive much if a push after.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Crippling Droz didn't help. I know it wasn't his fault, but he didn't recursive much if a push after.

Are you saying pairing him with Chaz as Lo-Down wasn't a push??

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

CopywrightMMXI posted:

There was an episode of Heat or Superstars from 1999 where, I swear, D'Lo got at least an 8.5 on the Austin God-pop scale. He was crazy over on this one night, for seemingly no reason. And then he crippled Droz.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Maybe its rose-colored glasses but I recall D-Lo as usually having entertaining matches as opposed to someone like Godfather or Billy Gunn who got the big pops for their entrace and the finish but not much else.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Part of the reason was that it hosed with him psychologically. Which, given the environment wrestling tends to breed ("Shake it off, meat!"), was pretty much a death sentence for his career.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

He looks like a baby and thus was never going to be a main event player. Shame, because he worked good matches and had a lot of physical charisma. I honestly can't remember if he was any use on the mic.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I still vividly remember the moment where he was chosen by Farooq to be part of the new Nation. Farooq was kicking out all the random suit wearing guys (and possibly Wolfie D and JC Ice, don't remember if they were still around), and the only ones left in the ring were Clarence Mason and D-Lo, who was pretty much still just a suit-wearing nobody. It looked like he was about to get kicked out, and Farooq says "D-Lo....hold the rope up for Clarence." and it got a huge pop.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

St Evan Echoes posted:

He looks like a baby and thus was never going to be a main event player. Shame, because he worked good matches and had a lot of physical charisma. I honestly can't remember if he was any use on the mic.

He was competent, from my memory.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
The big splash with the chest protector gimmick was awesome.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
D'lo also gets much respect for getting down to his WWE weight from being 400 lbs when he was a hanger on for New Jack and Mustafa in SMW.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

triplexpac posted:

Are you saying pairing him with Chaz as Lo-Down wasn't a push??

I actually liked LowDown :(
They were fun to watch until they got saddled with Tiger Ali Singh.

I believe DLo may have been the first person to be pinned after the worm.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Blasmeister posted:

it's TNA, correct grammar are for nerds

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

There.
Here.
Forever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Snacksmaniac posted:

There.
Herrre.
Fourever.

FTFY

bartok
May 10, 2006

What is the dumbest wrestling move in terms of kayfabe?
I think it is Cactus Jack's diving sunset flip to the outside of the ring. It always seemed pointless to slam yourself onto the concrete for a pinning attempt that hurts your opponent roughly the same as a regular sunset flip and in most cases can't be counted for a pinfall. An honorable mention goes to the Blockbuster because even though it looks impressive it also looks like you are helping your opponent give you a vertical suplex.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 45 minutes!
What do you mean by "in terms of kayfabe?" I get that the iron claw and the heart punch are moves that make sense in wrestling if not in real life, but what about dumb moves that don't seem to have wrestling logic behind them either, like the Playmaker? That one really sucks.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 18, 2014

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

The flying headbutt is a pretty stupid thing to do. Also peculiar that it's used by people who are otherwise methodical and efficient wrestlers.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

bartok posted:

I think it is Cactus Jack's diving sunset flip to the outside of the ring. It always seemed pointless to slam yourself onto the concrete for a pinning attempt that hurts your opponent roughly the same as a regular sunset flip and in most cases can't be counted for a pinfall. An honorable mention goes to the Blockbuster because even though it looks impressive it also looks like you are helping your opponent give you a vertical suplex.

Saying that Mick Foley does a move that hurts him more than you misses the point that it still hurts you, and he is immune to pain.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
I think the all-time worst move is Phantasio stealing his opponent's underwear. That's a very poor use of magical powers. It might catch Barry Horowitz off guard, but Austin would just kick your rear end for making a grab at his rattlesnake.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

bartok posted:

For the same reason, I always hated the top-rope sunset flip (where the opponent is on the standing on the mat; not the powerbomb version). Marc Mero did it a lot in 1996 and it bugged me. It's like the least effective thing you could possibly do off the top rope.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

What do you mean by "in terms of kayfabe?" I get that the iron claw and the heart punch are moves that make sense in wrestling if not in real life, but what about dumb moves that don't seem to have wrestling logic behind them either, like the Playmaker? That one really sucks.

Yes in terms of wrestling logic. My bad.

keithy george posted:

The flying headbutt is a pretty stupid thing to do. Also peculiar that it's used by people who are otherwise methodical and efficient wrestlers.

That one is dumb in both real life and wrestling logic. Whenever Benoit nailed the diving headbutt it always seemed to take just as much out of him as his opponent and he was usually too stunned to immediately go for a pin cover.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
It's not necessarily bad to do a move that seems like it would hurt him, too, but when Justin Gabriel sells his own 450 splash like he impaled himself on a spike, it's too much.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

It's not necessarily bad to do a move that seems like it would hurt him, too, but when Justin Gabriel sells his own 450 splash like he impaled himself on a spike, it's too much.

I always thought that RVD hit the sweet spot of selling that the Five Star Frog Splash hurt him and going for a pin. The other end of the spectrum is how Eddie Guerrero would immediately go for the cover after the Frog Splash connected.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

bartok posted:

I always thought that RVD hit the sweet spot of selling that the Five Star Frog Splash hurt him and going for a pin. The other end of the spectrum is how Eddie Guerrero would immediately go for the cover after the Frog Splash connected.

I always mentally interpreted that as RVD not knowing how to land and Eddie Guererro being a much better wrestler than him.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm fine with the logic that you can hurt yourself with a move, as long it kayfabe hurts your opponent more. Even regular DDTs and suplexes have you falling on your back. This ain't ballet ya know!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

RVD selling his frog splash harder than his opponents do is one of the many reasons I hate him.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Logically the Worm is the worst move, but it always got a huge pop and it was a fun move from a fun wrestler, so who cares

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Not to mention the People's Elbow, the Five Knuckle Shuffle, and the Boom Drop, although the latter two can sometimes be done pretty quickly coming off the ropes.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The one where Christian jumps over the top rope to the ground to slap his opponent. Dont know why I always hated that one.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Supreme Allah posted:

The one where Christian jumps over the top rope to the ground to slap his opponent. Dont know why I always hated that one.

Did he start doing that as a heel? Like, make the crowd think you're going to do something cool but nope it's just a slap.

It seems like a heel move anyway.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Halloween Jack posted:

I think the all-time worst move is Phantasio stealing his opponent's underwear. That's a very poor use of magical powers. It might catch Barry Horowitz off guard, but Austin would just kick your rear end for making a grab at his rattlesnake.

I never realized how much I wanted to see this move in a wrestling game

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
I hated like 80% of GTSes, it seemed like such an extravagant chain of pointless poo poo. CM Punk lifts his opponent onto his shoulders, maybe spins him around a bit, gingerly puts him back down and taps him softly on the chin with his knee. When it happened quickly it looked like a crazy flurry and looked good but those times were rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega
I thought Rey always sold the GTS really well. He would fail his arms a bit while being thrown up and coming down. And I think Punk actually broke Rey's nose with it once.