Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Apogee15 posted:

You will stop faster if you hit the opposing movement key. Try to only use A and D, don't move forward and backwards when trying to stutterstep. Only do it side to side.

Really it's more about timing your shots as you change which direction you are moving than about moving correctly. At least, that's what I mess up on the most.

When I'm in a fight I never use the WS, I'm relatively OK at stutter stepping when Im already just strafing. I'm wondering what to do when for example you're rushing to rotate and a lurker pops into view. When I'm the lurker they always seem to crouch to stop and shoot instantly. I thought, from listening to other players, crouching was a very bad habit to get into so I almost never crouch, but I keep losing these "surprise" encounters.

So when Im the rusher (WA pressed) I have my cross hair where I expect the dude to be, and boom he's there moving into my view with his head right in my cross hair. So I begin to stop, don't shoot, keep tracking his head and then shoot. But by the time all that happens he's crouch/spraying me in the face.

I really think theres something Im not getting here.

And apologies to BRAWW for implying, in my subtle way, that he may be a oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Crouching isn't *that* bad. It can surprise a person and make them reaim(because they should be aiming at head level), which can give you a split second to headshot them first.

But if you miss that shot, you are now crouched and not moving at all and they will probably headshot you.

So it can definitely be useful to crouch, but it's very risky and makes you an easy target.

Apogee15 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 18, 2014

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Apogee15 posted:

So it can definitely be useful to crouch, but it's very risky and makes you an easy target.

Thats why I try to avoid it so much, in normal circumstances I love when people crouch, they're nothing but a stationary head. I think I'll try practicing a quick crouch/head shot attempt and then strafe/stop/shoot/strafe/stop/shoot. Just when I'm rushing somewhere and bump into someone I mean.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
In most cases, you won't be running forward when you meet an opponent. If you are, then it's because they appeared unexpectedly and got the drop on you, so you deserve to die anyway.

Think about situations where you have to be running forwards and can get peeked. There's not that many. It mostly happens on rotates, and by then, you should have a good idea where everyone is.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
I do run a lot. If someone starts screaming "B B B B B", which can mean anything from "I think I heard a foot step" to "5 with bomb", I just run to B. I should make my way there carefully and only run if Im sure it's safe, thats the real solution to my problem, yeah? gently caress all the the "omg why so slow" comments?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

bpower posted:

I do run a lot. If someone starts screaming "B B B B B", which can mean anything from "I think I heard a foot step" to "5 with bomb", I just run to B. I should make my way there carefully and only run if Im sure it's safe, thats the real solution to my problem, yeah? gently caress all the the "omg why so slow" comments?

Not really. Just be logical about it. If you're playing Dust2 and someone from B calls bomb while you're A then you head over there. If you have no one mid, you'll want to be careful and slow down as you come up to mid. If you have someone mid or someone pushing into lower tunnels then you know mid is clear, so you don't have to slow down. As you come up to B, if your teammates in the bomb site are still alive then there shouldn't be much room for you to run into a T as they are pushing out of B. If they're not, then you'll want to slow down as some T's might try peeking outside of B.

Although if you don't know how to properly stop your movement and take shots then you'll want to be moving a lot slower, yes.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

bpower posted:

Use your radar, count the red diamonds, look for the bomb icon. Hold your angles. Fix your rates.

I often don't bother calling at all if I'm playing B solo, until I see bomb. The teammates can see for themselves, and I don't have anyone nearby to quickly back me up.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I tend to ignore the "BBBBBB" calls. Either call bomb(or if I notice it on radar) or I'm going to be very slow about rotating.

It does result in me getting yelled at like "Why didn't you rotate faster?!" But it's also caused me to make saves when it turns out there were only 2 B and the other 3 ran A.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
People don't really fake in MM though, so overrotation isn't generally a big problem.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

bpower posted:

Just have to keep your teammates positions in your head and make reasonable guesses based on their actions/deaths/picks. If you see your mid get picked and hear smokes popping, you can probably expect a lot of heat there. If you see he pushed up into lower you're probably safe but should always check double just to be safe. If you see your cat AND mid pushing and still alive but your B man is down you know you can run with your knife out until you can see b entrance.

This is why there's a point where it's pretty difficult to advance in skill without having a consistent team that you always play with. You hit a point where you not only have to be really comfortable with your own skills but be able to KNOW with certainty how everyone on your team will react to different situations. By having that you can make much more sophisticated and effective plays.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Necc0 posted:

Just have to keep your teammates positions in your head and make reasonable guesses based on their actions/deaths/picks. If you see your mid get picked and hear smokes popping, you can probably expect a lot of heat there. If you see he pushed up into lower you're probably safe but should always check double just to be safe. If you see your cat AND mid pushing and still alive but your B man is down you know you can run with your knife out until you can see b entrance.

This is why there's a point where it's pretty difficult to advance in skill without having a consistent team that you always play with. You hit a point where you not only have to be really comfortable with your own skills but be able to KNOW with certainty how everyone on your team will react to different situations. By having that you can make much more sophisticated and effective plays.

Yeah, this and the ability to simultaneously peek/take sites is what people mean when they say a team has good chemistry. It's more important than individual skill imo(when it comes to competitive teams).

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012

Hint: That wasn't summit.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

You guys did pretty well, all things considered. Congrats.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
The hell happened to your colors?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Xenaero posted:

I think its "saturation" on a AMD card or "vibrance" on a nvidia card. I use it so i can bump up the brightness without all the colours getting washed-out.

And thanks for the advice on rotating guys.

edit: a token of my esteem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_uQlp5QvlM

bpower fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 19, 2014

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

This is pretty great. The ace in the end is magical.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012

Xenaero posted:

I'm using SweetFX because I'm on laptop and can't turn up vibrance otherwise.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
You've struck gold... absolute fuckin gold!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

LMFAO Dat negev.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

What's the best skin you guys have received from completing a mission?

Ever since missions began, I had gotten nothing but the lowest level gray skins worth like two cents. Today after completing a Bizon kills challenge (my sixth mission) I received a field tested M4A1 master piece worth around $45. All those crates opened, and my best item ever comes from a mission :suicide:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I have no idea why my CS:GO loads much much slower in fullscreen mode compared to fullscreen windowed. Only messing with bots BTW.

One Pigeon
Jun 21, 2013

MrSmokes posted:

What's the best skin you guys have received from completing a mission?

Ever since missions began, I had gotten nothing but the lowest level gray skins worth like two cents. Today after completing a Bizon kills challenge (my sixth mission) I received a field tested M4A1 master piece worth around $45. All those crates opened, and my best item ever comes from a mission :suicide:

I wad dicking around in casual last night and the round ended. One guy got whatever that awp is in the new cases, as a drop for a mission.
The server voice and text chat went nuts with jealousy.

I got a scout.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Garbage MP9
Garbage MP9
Garbage UMP
Garbage MP9
Garbage auto

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Alright alright I get it... I need to finish my "win a comp game on insertion" mission.

But then again I've already had like 3 mp9 green plaid drops... so:psypop:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I got ST M4 bullet rain last night after deciding to open a case that dropped :>

Very happy! tempted to sell for free games

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Nation posted:

I got ST M4 bullet rain last night after deciding to open a case that dropped :>

I got a nice p2000, looks like an old ladies' handbag.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

mcvey posted:

Garbage MP9
Garbage MP9
Garbage UMP
Garbage MP9
Garbage auto

This, forever. Also, seconds after I got a lovely brown P2000 skin, a gun that isn't even in my loadout, I did a trade-up on all my bad SMG/mag7/dualie skins and got the exact same P2000 skin again. What are the odds on that bullshit

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
I thought you got overwatch when you reached 150 wins and were at least Nova 1. I'm 160 wins now and still haven't got it. Is there some other criteria?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I know a person who got it who is silver 4 and 40 wins.
So there is hidden magic there.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

I know a person who got it who is silver 4 and 40 wins.
So there is hidden magic there.

I hope its something like
code:
If Number_Of_Times_Forgot_Side_And_Murdered_Half_Own_Team_With_Sick_SprayDown > X Then OverWatch = False

That would explain it for me anyway.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

shoxie2strong

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

mcvey posted:

shoxie2strong

What are those diamond and other icons I don't recognize? Something to do with a tourny or league or something?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Apogee15 posted:

What are those diamond and other icons I don't recognize? Something to do with a tourny or league or something?

Special badges you get if you win/place in some tournaments.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

mcvey posted:

Neat. Too bad i'll never get one.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Nation posted:

Don't get scammed.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

mcvey posted:

Top 8 at Dreamhack Winter 2013 and/or EMS One Katowice to be exact.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Don't get scammed.

It's just a gun. (he'll still get scammed)

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

mcvey posted:

shoxie2strong

How high is the skill ceiling in this game? Is he that much better than the other team or was he just having a good day and they weren't? Are there pros who could consistently destroy other pros in the same way a GE would always destroy someone 5 or 6 ranks below them?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

bpower posted:

How high is the skill ceiling in this game? Is he that much better than the other team or was he just having a good day and they weren't? Are there pros who could consistently destroy other pros in the same way a GE would always destroy someone 5 or 6 ranks below them?
Shox normally is probably the top 1a/1b player in the world along with GeT_RiGhT. Shox on a good day, on a roll, on LAN is a whole other tier of good. You know how you have a good match where you're hitting your shots and making the plays and the other team can't quite keep up? It's like that but magnified. The team they faced is a top 10 team while Shoxs was the massive underdog but still won the series 2-1.

I didn't watch the match but if they release the POV demo for this I'll make sure to post it.

If you've never watched any of the top teams play each other and want to see where the skill ceilings at I'd check out some good pro matches. Will try to post some when I get home in a couple of hours.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

bpower posted:

Hellraisers is a top tier CS:GO team, EPSILON is a top tier CS:GO team, markeloff and Dosia are two of the top maybe 20 or so players in CS right now.

shoxie, unfortunately, is (probably) number 2. And when he's on, there's only a very small handful of players that can stop him.

• Locked thread