Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm just glad to know that the money we pay Sophos for their drat near impossible to manage AV product is going into sock-related promos and propaganda design, rather than improving compatibility with Xendesktop.

I posted it by our door anyway. The helpdesk/desktop guy does all the desktoppiness but I cover for him. He's a devout non-drinking Christian (hasn't proselytized to anyone, though, at least) but he does enough service stuff that an attaboy from the rank and file is always a good thing. I'll just take his beer.

I showed the poster to my boss and it looks like Kaspersky host-based scanning is our new AV - nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MJP posted:

I'm just glad to know that the money we pay Sophos for their drat near impossible to manage AV product is going into sock-related promos and propaganda design, rather than improving compatibility with Xendesktop.

I posted it by our door anyway. The helpdesk/desktop guy does all the desktoppiness but I cover for him. He's a devout non-drinking Christian (hasn't proselytized to anyone, though, at least) but he does enough service stuff that an attaboy from the rank and file is always a good thing. I'll just take his beer.

I showed the poster to my boss and it looks like Kaspersky host-based scanning is our new AV - nice.

What issues have you had with sophos?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sirotan posted:

Make your users buy you beer.

I think I'm about to print this out and stick it on the front of my cubicle and see if anyone bites.

Post this instead.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

jre posted:

I strongly object to the assertion in that poster that sysadmins would fix some's computer :argh:

Its not an unheard of thing for me to spin up a few SQL servers then go stand in line at the Apple Store to fix the CEO's personal iDevice.

Basically it can always be worse.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A ticket came in:

Oh wait, no, a ticket didn't come in. Tickets haven't been coming in all week. We've had 1/4th of the tickets we usually get. We've cleared the ticket queue. I had spare time to stress test new software, i've helped the testers debug tablets and pc versions of the software, i've bought everyone ice cream and goofed off for hours after every other tech has told me they've got their tickets under control and they don't want me to grab any off of them.

What the hell is up with this week?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
You know that saying about not looking a gift horse in the mouth?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

dogstile posted:

A ticket came in:

Oh wait, no, a ticket didn't come in. Tickets haven't been coming in all week. We've had 1/4th of the tickets we usually get. We've cleared the ticket queue. I had spare time to stress test new software, i've helped the testers debug tablets and pc versions of the software, i've bought everyone ice cream and goofed off for hours after every other tech has told me they've got their tickets under control and they don't want me to grab any off of them.

Someone, somewhere has figured out how to assign higher user rights than they should have and is "fixing" things?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

A ticket came in:

Your phone system is dropping calls into a void and you're SMTP listener is dead.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

dogstile posted:

A ticket came in:

This is my favourite time of year. Everyone is on holiday or going on holiday. Aside from overheating power supplies, our most common query is "how do I set Out of Office?!?!"

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

A phone call came in: "Hi you built a laptop for me three days ago and the soft phone agent isn't installed"

A) why didn't this matter three days ago considering it's a program you are unable to do your job without

B) why are you calling at 445 on a Friday panicking because you won't be able to work Monday without it. :argh:

E; and now she won't let go of the most while I'm remoted in

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 18, 2014

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Todays ticket system woes:
Every time you go order a part for someone, and the point where you send the order the system will update and it looks like you sent it to your own office.
But when you check the order in the order checking system it shows up fine.

So that's fun.

Also, what's up with people getting mad about the following situation:
Customer submits a ticket that says:
"Harddrive dead" and the ticket has contact details and pretty much everything I need except for some basic trouble shooting.
So I ask if the customer has performed a disk test.
Three days later customer updates the case.
"Yes, obviously I performed the disk test, now where the hell is my hard drive it's been three days and I've got NBD warranty on this machine!"

Well gently caress you. Could you at least even say the results of the disk test? I can't just send an order for a ticket that says "user performed disk test :downs:"

Also, there's a special kind of customer who will happily participate in email correspondence following this model:
"My computer has issue with X"
"Okay, have you tried to do A, B, C?"
"I tried A, doesn't affect the issue."
"Alright, have you tried B or C then?"
"I tried A again as per your instructions but it isn't helping. I also updated irrelevant driver and uninstalled open office, please send service ASAP."
"Did you try B or C?"
No response from customer for a month, close case due to no further updates from customer and within 10 minutes he's calling and yelling. All this correspondence usually takes place within 24 hours or so and suddenly they just stop responding. Why? Do they not want our help? I'm trying to help dammit!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

An engineer sends me an email asking for a newer PC out in the testing lab. Here are his requirements:

120 gig SSD
2 gigs of memory
64 bits or greater OS
i3 CPU
biggest LCD possible at least 20 inches large
keyboard
mouse
1 power cable

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GreenNight posted:

An engineer sends me an email asking for a newer PC out in the testing lab. Here are his requirements:

120 gig SSD
2 gigs of memory
64 bits or greater OS
i3 CPU
keyboard
mouse
1 power cable

Isn't AS/400 the only 128 bit capable operating system?

Don't forget a monitor cable!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I hear those 128-bit operating systems really streamline workflows at 2gb of RAM. But they don't come with the power cord, it's a good thing they specified.

Wait, no mousepad? This is affecting production!

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

FreshFeesh posted:

I hear those 128-bit operating systems really streamline workflows at 2gb of RAM. But they don't come with the power cord, it's a good thing they specified.

Wait, no mousepad? This is affecting production!

Give him an Itanium.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

GreenNight posted:

120 gig SSD
2 gigs of memory
64 bits or greater OS
i3 CPU
keyboard
mouse
1 power cable

The things he chose to specify are bizarre, but that's the most modest request from a user maybe ever.

Compared to the other stories from users sabotaging their laptops in the hope of getting a faster one, this guy sounds like a gift from god.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Thanks for reminding me about the DEC Alpha thread. :smith:

J
Jun 10, 2001

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Had the weirdest thing pop up this week. One of our techs came up to show me some video of a users laptop picking up radio stations and playing them through the laptop speakers. I didn't believe him at first, figured it was something running in the background or something until I saw it myself first hand. It would change stations too depending on where she was. Dell came in and swapped out the motherboard and wifi card. Haven't heard back yet to see if that ended up fixing it or not.

I've seen this once before and it was a rootkit causing it. Well, the stations weren't changing based on location, but it was definitely radio playing.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
A meta ticket came in from the IT manager:

Departments X, Y, and Z feel that IT/Helpdesk is unresponsive. They have given examples of tickets that IT ignored until they resubmitted the ticket 2-3 times. Dept will meet at 5pm (it's Friday, gently caress you) to discover the root cause and work out a corrective/disciplinary plan.

The root cause is easy: we're four days behind in tickets because staff has doubled in the last year and IT has halved. Give me two or three more techs and start managing user expectations, especially for God's sake hammer it in to them that they don't have to 'resubmit' tickets, that just clogs up the system even more when your original ticket makes it to the top of the list, gets taken care of, and then someone else gets your resubmit and gets confused.

(end rant, begin drinking)

EDIT: Oh, and if they "discipline" any of my team for there not being enough of us, they can expect to be even more understaffed.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 18, 2014

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GreenNight posted:

120 gig SSD
2 gigs of memory
64 bits or greater OS
i3 CPU
keyboard
mouse
1 power cable

Of all the things you guys mentioned being weird... you didn't mention the power cable. He either gets to power the monitor or the machine, not both at once, unless you guys have finally re-invented Tesla's wireless power.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

MF_James posted:

Of all the things you guys mentioned being weird... you didn't mention the power cable. He either gets to power the monitor or the machine, not both at once, unless you guys have finally re-invented Tesla's wireless power.

Perhaps he already has one and is being considerate.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, the request doesn't bother me. I just thought it was funny. It's replacing a P4, so he has power cables. Also already has a keyboard and mouse.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

sfwarlock posted:

Departments X, Y, and Z feel that IT/Helpdesk is unresponsive. They have given examples of tickets that IT ignored until they resubmitted the ticket 2-3 times. Dept will meet at 5pm (it's Friday, gently caress you) to discover the root cause and work out a corrective/disciplinary plan.

The root cause is easy: we're four days behind in tickets because staff has doubled in the last year and IT has halved. Give me two or three more techs and start managing user expectations, especially for God's sake hammer it in to them that they don't have to 'resubmit' tickets, that just clogs up the system even more when your original ticket makes it to the top of the list, gets taken care of, and then someone else gets your resubmit and gets confused.

EDIT: Oh, and if they "discipline" any of my team for there not being enough of us, they can expect to be even more understaffed.

Please do the needful and inform us of the outcome.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Volmarias posted:

Please do the needful and inform us of the outcome.

I need this ASAP!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

So I opened a ticket with my ISP saying all the ethernet ports in the apartment are dead and show "cable disconnected" errors. They said they had some issues in the area but the techs are "working on it".

So I go to my parking garage and see this. Uhh, I think I know the problem:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Novel use of hedge shears I guess?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Supposedly they were doing upgrades in the area. I sort of think this is legit, because I don't see a box where all those cat5 cables would even connect to. Unless the dude who cut them removed the box.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What the gently caress is that mess, and why is it not in a locked room?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GreenNight posted:

So I opened a ticket with my ISP saying all the ethernet ports in the apartment are dead and show "cable disconnected" errors. They said they had some issues in the area but the techs are "working on it".

So I go to my parking garage and see this. Uhh, I think I know the problem:

We're sorry your internet service will resume shortly after we replace some equipment. :nsa:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We got an alert this morning that a location is down, but its too early for anyone to be in yet, so we notify the help desk and wait for someone on site to verify power. Hour or so later, 1st person onsite shows up, calls in and says they are on generator power, but their other circuit is up. They currently have 2 circuits since their old network runs on that, and their stuff on ours. We call the provider and they say that according to the LEC, forest fires have damaged at least 4 miles of fiber and there is nothing they can do right now.

We pass this on to the users and the help desk, since we have wait for the provider. Couple of hours later, another ticket comes in, now their other circuit is down. We tell them there is nothing we can do, since no one is rolling a truck to fix the internet while poo poo is on fire.

We get word that the managers want someone from region hub branch to drive up with MiFi devices and connect over those. Thankfully, DNRC has closed roads except for emergency traffic to this town, so no poor bastard has to drive near a forest fire.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Some people just dont loving get how inconsequential their poo poo is and yes it can wait a loving hour/day/week

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Xik posted:

Novel use of hedge shears I guess?

Tin snips are the best for this kind of work. A lot faster than diagonal pliers when I was decomissioning a TV master control to sell the cabling for scrap.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

What the gently caress is that mess, and why is it not in a locked room?
I like the marker on the grey cabinet saying Do Not Lock.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

sfwarlock posted:

Just tell him that unless he hires more people, he can expect this to continue. Then completely block any of his other "solutions" off by saying "nope, not enough manpower".

Of course, its already happened now, but I hope you mentioned that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

I like the marker on the grey cabinet saying Do Not Lock.

No poo poo. What a clusterfuck. Luckily I'm only here for 2 months while my house is being built.

My hodgepodge fix is to share my laptops wifi connection as a hotspot and connect everything to that.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

CitizenKain posted:

We get word that the managers want someone from region hub branch to drive up with MiFi devices and connect over those. Thankfully, DNRC has closed roads except for emergency traffic to this town, so no poor bastard has to drive near a forest fire.

What exactly is so important that management would want someone to drive through a raging firestorm to get people back online?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Heners_UK posted:

What exactly is so important that management would want someone to drive through a raging firestorm to get people back online?

Are you new to this thread?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The lack of internet connectivity was preventing YouTube access

J
Jun 10, 2001

sfwarlock posted:

Can't wait to hear the outcome of this clusterfuck. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At a previous job there were weeks wasted back and forth between various managers complaining that they would often request things from the helpdesk and then were asked for a cost centre to charge to. This wasn't a stupid internal recharging for time thing, this was "we have employed a new member of staff and they need a PC" type tickets. The complaint was pretty much people not liking that things cost money.

gently caress knows what they expected anyone to be able to do about it. Go and steal one on behalf of the requester?

• Locked thread