Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I wonder if he's got a Death book saved up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Just finished Thud!. Now I only have Snuff left and I hear bad things from you guys. :(

Wonder what I should read after finishing the Watch...I have always enjoyed the appearances of Death...

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

VagueRant posted:

Just finished Thud!. Now I only have Snuff left and I hear bad things from you guys. :(

Wonder what I should read after finishing the Watch...I have always enjoyed the appearances of Death...
Snuff is basically a highlight reel of other Discworld books, and it has a few big problems.

Besides the big stuff, the oddest thing to stick with me from that book is the swearing. I think there were a couple of places wear a person would use a swear word they hadn't used before, including Sybil. It felt kind of out of place.

I might be misremembering, though, it's been a while.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Nihilarian posted:

Snuff is basically a highlight reel of other Discworld books, and it has a few big problems.

Besides the big stuff, the oddest thing to stick with me from that book is the swearing. I think there were a couple of places wear a person would use a swear word they hadn't used before, including Sybil. It felt kind of out of place.

I might be misremembering, though, it's been a while.

Isn't swearing a peculiar thing when it comes to established characters in a story? It's probably the quickest immersion breaker in any story for me.

It took me a while to get used to Rinsewind's "poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo" line because he never seems to say the word outside of that "string"

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 19, 2014

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

Zephyrine posted:

Isn't swearing a peculiar thing when it comes to established characters in a story? It's probably the quickest immersion breaker in any story for me.

It took me a while to get used to Rinsewind's "poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo" line because he never seems to say the word outside of that "string"

But then again, we all have our moments. My sister never swears but once I heard say the F word. It happens. Emotions get the best of you.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I recently re-read Monstrous Regiment and there's a passage in it where they're communicating with the enemy by morse code using the tube thingy:

quote:

Blouse held the code book up to his face, his lips moving as he read by the pinpoints of light escaping from the joints of the box.
“W…R…U,” he said. “And M…S…G…P…R…”
“That’s not a message!” said Jackrum.
“On the contrary, they want to know where we are, because they’re having trouble seeing our light,” said Blouse. “Send as follows…short…”
“I protest, sir!”
Blouse lowered the book. “Sergeant, I am about to tell our spy that we are seven miles further away than we really are, do you understand? And I am certain they will believe us, because I have artificially reduced the light output from our device, do you understand? And I will tell them that their spies have encountered a very large party of recruits and deserters heading for the mountains and are in pursuit, do you understand? I am making us invisible, do you understand? Do you understand, Sergeant Jackrum?”
The squad held their breath.
Jack drew himself stiffly to attention.
“Fully understood, sir!” he said.
“Very well!”
Jackrum stood to attention as the messages were exchanged, like a naughty pupil forced to stand by the teacher’s desk.
Messages flashed across the sky, from hilltop to hilltop. Lights flickered. The clacks tube rattled. Wazzer called out the longs and shorts. Blouse scribbled in the book.
“S…P…P…2,” he said aloud. “Hah. That’s an order to remain where we are.”
“More flashes, sir,” said Wazzer.
“T…Y…E…3…” said Blouse, still making notes. “That’s ‘be ready to give aid.’ N…V…A…S…N…That’s…”
“That’s not a code, sir!” said Polly.
“Private, send as follows right now!” Blouse croaked. “Long…long…”
The message went. They watched while the dew fell and, overhead, the stars came out and twinkled messages no one ever tried to read.
The clacks went silent.
“Now we leave as soon as possible,” said Blouse. He gave a little cough. “I believe the phrase is ‘let us get the heck out of here.’”
“Close, sir,” said Polly. “Quite…close.”

Am I being thick, but what do the messages mean? I get the first one is "Where are you? Message poor" but I'm stumped on the others and it's bugging the poo poo out of me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zephyrine posted:

The thing in Snuff is that nobody is on their home ground. Vimes, Willkins, and Sybil are all on unfamiliar ground. Sybil is reverting to behaviors learned in childhood, and the other two are out of their element in the country, dealing with people they never deal with and situations unfamiliar. Add to that that they're supposed to be on holiday, and I really wasn't surprised that they're acting, and speaking, strangely.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

mllaneza posted:

The thing in Snuff is that nobody is on their home ground. Vimes, Willkins, and Sybil are all on unfamiliar ground. Sybil is reverting to behaviors learned in childhood, and the other two are out of their element in the country, dealing with people they never deal with and situations unfamiliar. Add to that that they're supposed to be on holiday, and I really wasn't surprised that they're acting, and speaking, strangely.

Sorry I'm working my way through Jingo so I can't read more. I'll respond properly once I finish Snuff.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zephyrine posted:

He has that excellent "spell" in Latin in Interesting Times. The "mantra he uses to raise the magical fluxes" or whatever.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

youtube commenter posted:

I recently re-read Monstrous Regiment and there's a passage in it where they're communicating with the enemy by morse code using the tube thingy:

Am I being thick, but what do the messages mean? I get the first one is "Where are you? Message poor" but I'm stumped on the others and it's bugging the poo poo out of me.

NVASN is "invasion". No idea on the others.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Given that NVASN is called out as not being code, I imagine that SPP2 and TYE3 on the contrary are, and Blouse is getting the meaning out of their captured code book.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Who would win in a fight between Sam Vimes and the Luggage?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Sam. posted:

Who would win in a fight between Sam Vimes and the Luggage?

Vimes.

The luggage lost to Cohen the Barbarian after all.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I tried to explain discworld to a coworker. I figured a good example would be Hogfather. This is how the conversation went:

Zephyrine: So this guy is tasked with assassinating Santa Clause. He does it by kidnapping the tooth fairy and then using the collected children's teeth to take control of the children of the world and make them stop believing in Santa. If no one really believes in Santa then he doesn't exist which is the same as killing him

Nina(coworker): Oh? sounds like that Tim Allen movie

Zephyrine: What? No. It's nothing like that movie. This guy has to play santa in order to restore the children's belie... Never mind

She's such a bitch.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Should have mentioned the Hogfather was to do with paganism and the slaughter of the hunt man. And the secondary story of Wizards and their crazy automated shower!

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

Should have mentioned the Hogfather was to do with paganism and the slaughter of the hunt man. And the secondary story of Wizards and their crazy automated shower!

Baby steps. This is a girl who collects motivational poster pictures on her cellphone and then shows them to people at work. And not like a quick one on break. She stops people in the middle of working and then start a slide show. Laughing herself at every one until you physically break away from her and return to working.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I just found out there was a TV adaptation of Going Postal, with Charles Dance as Vetinari no less. Is it any good? I know they did Hogfather and apparently the Colour of Magic, but I haven't heard much about the quality of the Sky adaptations.

Also totally forgot that the next book on my listening list after Snuff should probably be Small Gods.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

VagueRant posted:

I just found out there was a TV adaptation of Going Postal, with Charles Dance as Vetinari no less. Is it any good? I know they did Hogfather and apparently the Colour of Magic, but I haven't heard much about the quality of the Sky adaptations.

Also totally forgot that the next book on my listening list after Snuff should probably be Small Gods.

It's ok. A little rushed and changed a bit. The visuals are nice. :)

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

VagueRant posted:

Charles Dance as Vetinari no less.

That's.... perfect.

I have only seen the cartoons so far. Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters.

Kind of odd choices in my opinion.

If I had picked two books to make into "movies" then I would probably have gone with "Men at Arms" and "Mort" not because they are my favourites by any means but because they are great stories that don't require you to know the material to appreciate them.

The namesake story in "soul music" is surprisingly dull in my opinion.

It also features too much of the wizards and without knowing the wizards from previous books they just seemed really out of place in the movies.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

VagueRant posted:

There were a number of changes I didn't like, and the costumes were goofy. Especially the golems (they're all identical, to boot)

But the actors were all pretty good. I'd say it's worth a watch, but you should probably go in with low expectations.

Edit: I liked the Colour of Magic and Hogfather ones better, but then I haven't read those books.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 20, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

VagueRant posted:

They nailed Vetinari and Drumknott.

It's a little goofy in parts, but considering their budget they did a good job and they didn't really mess with the story in any major way. Even some really quite weird bits like the letters talking stayed in. Sadly the Postman Initiation didn't make it though.

Pratchett turns up at the end to do a cameo too, which was nice.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Going Postal and some bits of the SKY Hogfather adaptions aren't bad. I have a lot of truck with The Colour Of Magic though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Colour of Magic's Vetinari was a crime against humanity.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

MikeJF posted:

The Colour of Magic's Vetinari was a crime against humanity.
Which doesn't make any sense, because it was Jeremy Irons. What the hell happened?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

Which doesn't make any sense, because it was Jeremy Irons. What the hell happened?

Nobody told Irons to research the character or franchise, I expect the man thought it was the usual fantasy stuff and phoned it.

I'm still bitter they casted old as gently caress David Jason as Rincewind at his youngest. So many lovely casting choices for that one.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Fans posted:

They nailed Vetinari and Drumknott.

True. However, because of Going Postal, I refuse to imagine Vetinari with black hair. RED HAIR ALL THE WAY.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nobody told Irons to research the character or franchise, I expect the man thought it was the usual fantasy stuff and phoned it.

I'm still bitter they casted old as gently caress David Jason as Rincewind at his youngest. So many lovely casting choices for that one.

The patrician in the Color of Magic arguably isn't even Vetinari. He's fat, for one thing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tunicate posted:

The patrician in the Color of Magic arguably isn't even Vetinari. He's fat, for one thing.

Oh yeah, I'll give them that then. Still a lot of Colour was an embarassing cluster gently caress and I steered well clear seeing it in the previews and promo materiels.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Tunicate posted:

Yeah he's never named, but more tellingly, his scheme completely fails (doesn't even seem to do anything) and Twoflower and Rincewind escape. It's quite some distance from where the character ended up.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Are we really sure of this or did Pratchet just change the characters features in later books?

I mean the dialogue between Rincewind and the Patrician where death lurks behind the corner certainly sounds like Vetinari.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm pretty sure that question has been explicitly asked and answered, and the answer is something like 'different leg of the trousers of time' or something - it's not NOT Vetinari; there hasn't been a new Patrician in the course of the Discworld books (Night Watch excepted), but he's definitely a different character.

Theories abound as to why, including 'well he wasn't a Vampire back then'.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

thespaceinvader posted:

Theories abound as to why, including 'well he wasn't a Vampire back then'.
Is he, canonically? I know he has the close relationship with Lady Margolotta, and a lot of the signs, but has that been confirmed?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
All I can say is Lawks

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is he, canonically? I know he has the close relationship with Lady Margolotta, and a lot of the signs, but has that been confirmed?

I don't think it's ever been stated canonically. Personally I never considered Vetenari to be a vampire. In the books he seems to be aging at the same rate Vimes does.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I don't think it's ever been stated canonically. Personally I never considered Vetenari to be a vampire. In the books he seems to be aging at the same rate Vimes does.

Not to mention that he has been hurt in several different books, shot, poisoned.

He also spends a lot of scenes outdoors in the day time. Can discworld vampires be in sunlight?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Zephyrine posted:

Can discworld vampires be in sunlight?

If they wear heavy clothes and big hats yes, Otto the camera-vamp does this. His flash does tend to turn him to dust though, which is why he wears a blood vial.

There were some Vamps who managed to make themselves immune to sunlight in Carpe Jugulum but it doesn't work out so well for them in the end. I doubt Vetenari is a vamp, you ain't getting that past Sam Vimes forever.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I explain fat Vetinari by reminding myself that he's a graduate of the Assassins Guild. He's not above putting on weight and acting like an idiot to accomplish his goals.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If you're dumb enough to think that Pratchett has been secretly hinting that Vetinari is a vampire throughout the series, Discworld might be a little over your reading level. You might want to check your Accelerated Reader list and make sure you don't go above a 4.3.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He's obviously a wereflamingo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tunicate posted:

He's obviously a wereflamingo.

He's obviously Sam Vimes from the future. Again.