Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
A fish person attacked and killed one of my workers, everyone panicked, and the military refused to fight when the fish person came back for the rest. Eventually one of them picked up a rifle and killed it, but only after 5 were dead. Nobody felt like working the farms so they ate all the bodies.

I like this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

epmode posted:

Nvining, do you have any intention of addressing UI scaling for high resolution screens? Perhaps a double-sized UI or a UI scale slider? The icon sizes are pretty good but the font is not easy to read at 2560x1600.

Regardless of any future changes, the current UI scale is actually a big improvement over Dungeons of Dredmor (where I had to drop to 1280x800 or it was basically unplayable) so thank you for that!

File a bug report. If you are feeling foolishly brave in the mean time I think all the UI stuff is defined in the xml in the ui folder. I think I saw size info in too...

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/07/18/earliest-access-status-update/

Couple things here if you are having issues.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Smoremaster posted:

A fish person attacked and killed one of my workers, everyone panicked, and the military refused to fight when the fish person came back for the rest. Eventually one of them picked up a rifle and killed it, but only after 5 were dead. Nobody felt like working the farms so they ate all the bodies.

I like this game.

I hope this doesn't fall under Things That Were but back in an older build I watched a soldier murder one of my workers, begin eating the body, and stand guard as others carted away the remaining chunks of body to the kitchen. It's an interesting game.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

Smoremaster posted:

I like this game.

Were the military in the middle of other pressing issues such as sleeping or gossiping with someone? Soldiers won't look for someone to gossip with but if the other person stops them they are too polite to excuse themselves and save lives. And people sleep so deeply that even getting beaten to death won't wake them up so of course someone else getting pummeled to death won't wake them.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Having fun butchering things and then eating them, whatever those things may be. I don't understand a lot of things that are going on, but they all seem neat regardless!

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Please add fullscreen-windowed mode (otherwise known as borderless windowed mode I believe).

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

nvining posted:

I think we're tracking it down. Do you use your computer in a language other than English?

Nope, english.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The new name fits well.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

If we could somehow get more photos of Daniel's cat I think that would be ideal for everyone.

Go here, scroll down.

http://clockworkempires.com/development.html

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
I had an adventurous colonist exploring when he found a fishperson's body. He promptly butchered and began eating it. This...goes beyond novelty-seeking behavior.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well it's unplayable on my work computer. Takes several mins to generate a map and when it does the framerate is a jerky mess. I don't know if you're looking for specs but this thing is:

Athlon II X2 250 3GHz
4GB Ram
Windows 7 64bit
Geforce 240

Shame because I was hoping to fiddle around with it during the day.

Edit: This isn't a complaint BTW it works fine on my home computer and I don't expect an Alpha to be optimized. Just providing feedback.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I managed to play an half-hour and the game works pretty well, apart from a little bug or two: laying fields on top of other fields and then clicking on them pops up two selection wheels, of which only one is clickable, the other stays on the screen forever - and the rally / explore commands seem to not work at all, the cursor stays onscreen when I click and nothing happens.

Reported already to Her Majesty's Complaints Department, I guess some steam knights will come by my house and reassign me to some work camp far away.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

What are the current plans for defence and fortifications? I'm curious to hear what actually ends up being in as the game progresses.

Obviously you're not aiming to replicate the complexity of DF (and having military control that actually *works* will be a refreshing change), but a large part of the fun for me was always to make increasingly elaborate castles and defenses. What's going to be possible in CE?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Things are speeding along apparently. What's the timeline towards a complete release?

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

SynthOrange posted:

Things are speeding along apparently. What's the timeline towards a complete release?

Earliest access is supposed to be running for about a month, at which point it will turn into early access on Steam.
They predicted on their blog somewhere between 9-12 months from now until the final release.

I'm really tempted to get in on Earliest Access, but the reasonable part of my mind is telling me to wait, because I doubt it will treat my aging hardware very well. :(

dihaploidy fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 19, 2014

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

dihaploidy posted:

I'm really tempted to get in on Earliest Access, but the reasonable part of my mind is telling me to wait, because I doubt it will treat my aging hardware very well.

I'm running it on a Phenom II X3 and a Radeon 4850 without any problems, though it is a bit choppy.

Is anyone else having problems with colonists being terminally lazy? My first game was characterized by 3 or so colonists working at any given time while the other 13 stood around and gossiped or complained about being hungry/tired. Enabling/disabling jobs for the work crews doesn't seem to do anything -- at one point a workcrew that had been assigned farming work exclusively stood around in a field of ripe cabbage doing absolutely nothing. They weren't even talking with one another, just standing there while ignoring the "harvest cabbage" jobs queued up. I've also had issues with jobs queuing up that I never ordered, such as orders to construct small tables and cabinets that I never wanted.

While it was a pretty funny first game to see my colonists die off from starvation while refusing to harvest cabbage or eat the foraged food sitting on the ground (the three people working would forage food, but not carry it to the stockpile), it will quickly become frustrating.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I've started I think nine games now (played for about 15-20 minutes each) and only had the terminal laziness with two. If I had to guess it was probably an issue between the jobs I had available and the materials I had available.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Smoremaster posted:

This reminds me of Centralia, Pennsylvania, though instead of the gaping maw to hell it's underground and barely noticeable, which is pretty spooky. There's been an underground mine fire there since 1962, and people lived in the town until the late 1970s when a kid almost died by falling into a pit over 100 feet deep that opened under his feet. Now the town has been mostly demolished and the roads leading to it have been blocked off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

edit: gently caress, beaten

Hah, there's an excellent Rogue Valley song about this place and until now I thought it was just a song about general industrial boom / bust towns. Cool to know.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Preem Palver posted:

I'm running it on a Phenom II X3 and a Radeon 4850 without any problems, though it is a bit choppy.

Is anyone else having problems with colonists being terminally lazy? My first game was characterized by 3 or so colonists working at any given time while the other 13 stood around and gossiped or complained about being hungry/tired. Enabling/disabling jobs for the work crews doesn't seem to do anything -- at one point a workcrew that had been assigned farming work exclusively stood around in a field of ripe cabbage doing absolutely nothing. They weren't even talking with one another, just standing there while ignoring the "harvest cabbage" jobs queued up. I've also had issues with jobs queuing up that I never ordered, such as orders to construct small tables and cabinets that I never wanted.

While it was a pretty funny first game to see my colonists die off from starvation while refusing to harvest cabbage or eat the foraged food sitting on the ground (the three people working would forage food, but not carry it to the stockpile), it will quickly become frustrating.

It's hard to tell right now if your crews aren't working because of a) a bug, because there have been bugs that just cause work parties to die off, and b) a work crew issue. Harvesting ripe cabbage should always happen, though - it's a citizen's primary function in life. Can you post the replay for what you're doing when this bug showed up to our forums?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I honestly thought I was just doing something stupid, but for the life of me I could not get my citizens to harvest ripe cabbage either. I'll see if I can recreate this because it caused some people to starve when I tried it.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
Do you guys do any user testing, i.e. watching a new user play the game for the first time while commenting on what they are trying to accomplish? That usually helps to clear up a lot of design problems.

From personal experience I built a workshop, then queued a kitchen but they never started building it. I clicked around for a bit trying to figure out what's going on with it, found some screen that said showed a bunch of unassigned jobs, then gave up and quit. My guess was I didn't have a required optional resource, but I wasn't sure. User testing will help you spot a lot of problems like that and either provide a better feedback, or prevent users from making an error and queueing impossible buildings.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

nvining posted:

It's hard to tell right now if your crews aren't working because of a) a bug, because there have been bugs that just cause work parties to die off, and b) a work crew issue. Harvesting ripe cabbage should always happen, though - it's a citizen's primary function in life. Can you post the replay for what you're doing when this bug showed up to our forums?

Can do. I'll be at work for the next several hours, but I'll do it when I get back. I suspect it's related to the table and cabinet orders; things had been progressing smoothly, if slowly, until those popped up at the top of the list, and then my colony pretty much shut down when those showed up.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Eonwe posted:

I honestly thought I was just doing something stupid, but for the life of me I could not get my citizens to harvest ripe cabbage either. I'll see if I can recreate this because it caused some people to starve when I tried it.

Are you sure the cabbage was ripe? It looks like it's done for awhile before it's actually at the harvestable stage. I usually see a gangrush toward the field when it's harvesting time. Typically it seems to be good to have some form of other food started while you are getting your initial farms up and running since that first crop takes awhile - either hunting for steaks or foraging berries and then cooking works pretty well.

If you actually had harvest jobs in the job screen and they weren't happening then it was bugged :smith:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I also would like to know more about plans for fortresses and impregnability. I really enjoy building an actually good-working durable settlement, where savage invaders splash harmlessly against my well conceived defensive works, and my citizens get rich, fat, and skilled under my benevolent rule, before I decide that they should delve too greedily, and too deep.
Is that something that can be done or a design goal?
I get the losing is fun aesthetic/aim, but I really enjoy doing it on my terms, rather than having failure cascades and unavoidable firefighting be the main game.

Is there enough colony/economy building game to make building a stable successful colony possible and fun? will there be?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Slo-Tek posted:

I also would like to know more about plans for fortresses and impregnability. I really enjoy building an actually good-working durable settlement, where savage invaders splash harmlessly against my well conceived defensive works, and my citizens get rich, fat, and skilled under my benevolent rule, before I decide that they should delve too greedily, and too deep.
I get the losing is fun aesthetic/aim, but I really enjoy doing it on my terms, rather than having failure cascades and unavoidable firefighting be the main game.

Is there enough colony/economy building game to make building a stable successful colony possible and fun? will there be?

I checked out the XML files and they appear to have commented a ton of stuff out. Such as trenches, barbed wire, brick walls, minigun turrets, landing craft (I assume for nation's invading?), and a bunch of other stuff.

Given all of that I assume there's going to be a stage of development where the game is more dwarf fortress than generic town sim. Right now it's admittedly (and understandably) pretty limited in that regard however. Turns out all but like two events aren't even activated. There's even a "fish people attack" event that's commented out that i'm tempted to uncomment and see what happens.

Edit: As a side note, this game looks to be incredibly moddable. Almost everything appears to be in XML or LUA files. I assume if people can convert models to the .upm format (What is that? I've never seen it before.) you could also add new creatures and other stuff in for a DF Masterwork style mega mod.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 19, 2014

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

So I bought the Earliest Access without realizing that it isn't functional on OSX yet. I don't really mind, since I intended to buy the game at some point anyway, but are there any thoughts about when it might be available?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

So far my testing sessions have ended inconclusively, one after getting a kitchen, sawmill, and lower-class barracks up and then heading out to do errands and the other quitting in disgust after losing 8 colonists to a fishman attack during which my 3 soldiers were busily picking up case lots of pickled fungus and devouring them whole!

On the positive side, however, my sawmill's overseer became a cultist within the first two days of the latter game, and renamed his shop to something like "The Twisting Hellpit."

Anyway, on the off chance that I manage to hold a colony together for a week, what should I be aiming to erect other than the obvious farms, sawmill, kitchen, housing? Do we have any idea how many cabbage farms of what size should support our initial 15 victims colonists? Is there a way to add more things to a structure once it's been laid down?

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 19, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

LonsomeSon posted:

Anyway, on the off chance that I manage to hold a colony together for a week, what should I be aiming to erect other than the obvious farms, sawmill, kitchen, housing? Do we have any idea how many cabbage farms of what size should support our initial 15 victims colonists? Is there a way to add more things to a structure once it's been laid down?

I find that four fields of cabbage supplemented by hunting is more than enough for 30-35 people.

Also, just tried re-enabling a ton of events. Time to see what happens. :getin:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Archonex posted:

Hey now, there are some things man was not meant to know! Messing with Elder Gods is one thing, but let's not get crazy.

Also the landing craft is supposed to be how your immigrants and supplies arrive, or at least one option.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Teledahn posted:

If we could somehow get more photos of Daniel's cat I think that would be ideal for everyone.

Go here, scroll down.

http://clockworkempires.com/development.html

Ask and ye shall receive!
https://twitter.com/Citizen_Daniel/status/489959191264493569
https://twitter.com/Citizen_Daniel/status/489506428827099136

Aeble posted:

What are the current plans for defence and fortifications? I'm curious to hear what actually ends up being in as the game progresses.

Obviously you're not aiming to replicate the complexity of DF (and having military control that actually *works* will be a refreshing change), but a large part of the fun for me was always to make increasingly elaborate castles and defenses. What's going to be possible in CE?

Like Archonex said, tons of stuff related to that is commented out while we work out the kinks in our engine. Expect things!

tima posted:

Do you guys do any user testing, i.e. watching a new user play the game for the first time while commenting on what they are trying to accomplish? That usually helps to clear up a lot of design problems.

From personal experience I built a workshop, then queued a kitchen but they never started building it. I clicked around for a bit trying to figure out what's going on with it, found some screen that said showed a bunch of unassigned jobs, then gave up and quit. My guess was I didn't have a required optional resource, but I wasn't sure. User testing will help you spot a lot of problems like that and either provide a better feedback, or prevent users from making an error and queueing impossible buildings.

I don't think we've really done the *watching* part (though we had a couple streamers yesterday!) but we now have an immense amount of first impressions similar to yours, and that lets us know what we need to focus on and clarify. We also need to make the first moments of the game way less overwhelming, it's rough right now. Expect things to be better explained in the future, or clearer.

Slo-Tek posted:

At the moment there isn't much of this in the game yet, so I'll let someone else answer this. There's a lot of subtlety between crazy failure cascades and prosperous settlements, but somehow you can do both in a game like Dwarf Fortress, which is one of our biggest inspirations!

Fuligin posted:

So I bought the Earliest Access without realizing that it isn't functional on OSX yet. I don't really mind, since I intended to buy the game at some point anyway, but are there any thoughts about when it might be available?

At the latest we want to have it ready for the Actual Early Access next month.

Archonex posted:

Madness! There is a thread here for experimental and insane modding here, btw: https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/lets-put-some-cogs-on-fishpeople-modding-thread.8497/

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Hunting? And how would you do that? I harvest resources by clicking on them and selecting "Chop/mine/forage" that pops up, but when I click on animals the game just goes on camera-follow mode. Also, I queue up stuff in my kitchen but it never gets done :( I have a lot of wheat fields, lots of wheat, but baking bread takes forever and wheat keeps piling up while the bread gets eaten as soon as it's out of the oven and I have starvation problems (also, everybody is thinking about The Act of Murder all the time)

This game rocks but it's pretty obscure at times. I know it's still in alpha phase, but a small pdf manual/blog post on how to do basic things would be very appreciated.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

TorakFade posted:

Hunting? And how would you do that? I harvest resources by clicking on them and selecting "Chop/mine/forage" that pops up, but when I click on animals the game just goes on camera-follow mode. Also, I queue up stuff in my kitchen but it never gets done :( I have a lot of wheat fields, lots of wheat, but baking bread takes forever and wheat keeps piling up while the bread gets eaten as soon as it's out of the oven and I have starvation problems (also, everybody is thinking about The Act of Murder all the time)

Go to the job crew menus and there's a bunch of little icons at the bottom where you can enable or disable various jobs. One of them is hunting, and it is off for everyone by default. Enable it for someone (best on your military, since they have guns). They'll automatically just shoot any animals nearby and someone will butcher them into raw steaks or uncooked dodos.

quote:

This game rocks but it's pretty obscure at times. I know it's still in alpha phase, but a small pdf manual/blog post on how to do basic things would be very appreciated.

Go here: https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/clockwork-empires-a-bureaucrats-guide-to-colonization.8519/

(edit): also here: https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/clockwork-empires-alpha-quickstart-starvation-avoidance-guide.8474/

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

In the work crews screen, you can see a list of them with the tasks they are allowed to do. Hunting is disabled by default. I enabled it for one of my crews and they butchered every aurochs in sight.

Edit : too slow :eng99:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Is there a particular construction that needs to be built for butchering? I have all these dead fish people around, there doesn't appear to be any manual "butcher" command, and if anyone's eating corpses, I haven't caught them doing it. Pretty sure there's been a few corpses that vanished, though. Maybe they're eating them when I'm not looking.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Hello Sailor posted:

Is there a particular construction that needs to be built for butchering? I have all these dead fish people around, there doesn't appear to be any manual "butcher" command, and if anyone's eating corpses, I haven't caught them doing it. Pretty sure there's been a few corpses that vanished, though. Maybe they're eating them when I'm not looking.

You generally want to remain out of sight while you eat other people, even if they're fish-people.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Thank you! I jumped on the game so fast, that I didn't even look at the official forums. How silly of me.

But why isn't anybody cooking the queued-up lingonberry preserves, choosing instead to rant about the daily grind or admire fine machinery while they starve to death? :eng99:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So thirty minutes with an XML and LUA editor enabled a ton of buildings like trenches, what appears to be a tavern to actually use my beer, spikes, and barbed wire. Provided I read this file right, I may have also not so accidentally made it so that I allowed the game to form a cult that will unleash an elder god to devour my settlement if they do something stupid. Like, y'know, try to summon a fricking elder god onto an out of the way colony.

This ought to be hilariously fun. And buggy. But still fun!

Also I found this comment about the barbershop in the files.

quote:

Do not put the barbershop next to the pie shop.
Getting a little Sweeney Todd there, aren't you Clockwork Empires? :stonk:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 19, 2014

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Slo-Tek posted:

They have said in the blog that one problem they had with Sim City and similar type games was usually disasters just happened and all you could do was put out the fires the tornado/monster started. Essential all disasters are the same: a firestorm that just pops into being. They are aiming for an experience more like sparks just happen, but if your colony is a house of cards on top of a pile of oily rags it will very quickly become a firestorm.

If you have your colony well prepared and don't get distracted building a megalith when your powersaw breaks down and mangles little Billy your barber will apply treatment so he at least dies out of sight, an engineer will fix the shop, and laborers will swab up the blood, and the soldiers will be at their posts to repel the fishmen. If you aren't doing so hot or ignore the warning signs then Billy will have to drag himself around town on his jagged stumps getting infected and spreading ill humours and discontent. Your engineers are too busy building your folly and the saw stays broken ruining already haphazard supply chain. The laborers are cultists who use the pools of blood in a foul ritual that the militia must rush to suppress leaving the walls understaffed. Then the fishmen overrun the hapless defenders and run amok in your town.

In both scenarios the random event was just a saw breaking down. If you were prepared or at least responded quickly things keep trucking along. If things didn't go so well you have a catastrophe to recover from. But that powersaw mishap left your colonists dead/wounded/traumatized/discontented, you are short on supplies, your carpentry shop is damaged, your soldiers are worn out and spread thin, and the cultists have advanced their plot, and Lord Palmerstroke had his tea get cold!

Archonex posted:

Daynab posted:

Madness! There is a thread here for experimental and insane modding here, btw: https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/lets-put-some-cogs-on-fishpeople-modding-thread.8497/
Probably a bunch of script errors. Some of the scripts haven't been modified in step with the engine. But some of them might be delightful. In either case join me in my madness in that thread and on IRC. Feel free to hit me up for help/advice/poorly thought out plans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Archonex posted:

So thirty minutes with an XML and LUA editor enabled a ton of buildings like trenches, what appears to be a tavern to actually use my beer, spikes, and barbed wire. Provided I read this file right, I may have also not so accidentally made it so that I allowed the game to form a cult that will unleash an elder god to devour my settlement if they do something stupid. Like, y'know, try to summon a fricking elder god onto an out of the way colony.

This ought to be hilariously fun. And buggy. But still fun!

Also I found this comment about the barbershop in the files.

Getting a little Sweeney Todd there, aren't you Clockwork Empires? :stonk:

:stare: How do I activate these things? Or would it be beyond my grasp?

• Locked thread