Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Gonz posted:

You're in for a doozy.

Well, when I walked into the theater I got a postcard and they've been playing nothing but Tom Waits. So this bodes well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

About to watch Dark City for the first time. I have absolutely no idea what this movie is about.

Is it the Director's Cut or the regular version? If you start hearing Kiefer Sutherland talking, plug your ears for about a minute and a half.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

penismightier posted:

Boy this list really comes apart at the end here, huh.
Now that you mention it, I transcribed that list off Criticker, which listed them by my rankings. I didn't think anybody would notice.

TwistedLadder posted:

She's only Lysistrata if she's doing it for political reasons. If all your exes were doing it for political reasons, that makes me deeply curious about the nature of your relationships.
Not that I know of. It's usually casual remarks I make that I found out came out wrong later.

I had one ex who was pissed off at me for two weeks and wouldn't tell me why. It turned out the answer was some off-the-cuff remark I made while we were at the Chinese buffet. I don't remember the exact words. Something about me floating the idea of us living together (in the far future), her saying she didn't ever want to move out of her mom's place, and me saying that could be a problem if we ever wanted to get more serious.

The one before her dumped me after we went out of town for the day. I have no idea what I said, but about halfway through the day she clammed up, she barely said a word on the ride home, and then she tearfully dumped me when I dropped her off. We stayed friends, but she never told me what I said or did to precipitate it.

This is why I'll never date a woman who takes me seriously again.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 20, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That sounds like an experience. I've wanted to see Dark City for years since I know the Strangers on Venture Bros are based on something from that movie, but I've intentionally kept myself in the dark (:v:) about it. It's moving up the DVD que though.

Just did a double feature of Vertigo and Jackie Brown. I think I need a few days to digest them both, but I really enjoyed them. It's rare I watch two movies in a row that both run over two hours, yet I'm not utterly exhausted by one, let alone both.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Quick: what's a good palate cleanser for Antichrist? (full disclosure: still loved Antichrist but holy poo poo.)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hewlett posted:

Quick: what's a good palate cleanser for Antichrist? (full disclosure: still loved Antichrist but holy poo poo.)

Breaking The Waves.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Hewlett posted:

Uncle Buck

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TrixRabbi posted:

About to watch Dark City for the first time. I have absolutely no idea what this movie is about.
I watched it (I think on CineD's recommendation, actually) after seeing Knowing (another Alex Proyas flick) in theaters. Boy, that movie threw me for a loop!

Hewlett posted:

Irreversible?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 20, 2014

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hewlett posted:

Possession :backtowork:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hewlett posted:

Surviving Edged Weapons

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Hewlett posted:

An American in Paris.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Hewlett posted:

The Room

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

Hewlett posted:

RoboCop, Jurassic Park, etc.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Serious answer: Speed Racer

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hewlett posted:

Princess Bride

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Hewlett posted:

Ed Wood. Even if it's not, just watch Ed Wood.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hewlett posted:

My Wife is an Actress (2001). It's a husband-and-wife story with Charlotte Gainsbourg that, uh... doesn't end in the same way.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just saw Snowpiercer at the local indie/foreign theater. God drat it was a wild movie. You never know what's coming next. Solidly entertaining. A ton of plot holes but I think it's one of those movies that are best enjoyed and then left alone. I'm sure the director was going for some artistic social deep meaning but I took it for what it was.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I don't think that's a caterpillar. I think those are balls.

The kids drew balls on your legs.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I don't think that's a caterpillar. I think those are balls.

The kids drew balls on your legs.

It might just be a hairy butt, you never know.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

CloseFriend posted:

Now that you mention it, I transcribed that list off Criticker, which listed them by my rankings. I didn't think anybody would notice.

The idea of 1989 being a particularly good year is a thing I hear a lot and I fundamentally think it's wrong and stupid. Even ignoring a particularly amazing year like 1975 or 77, even an intentionally random year like 1952 yields the same kind of crop:

Singin' in the Rain, Umberto D., Forbidden Games, The Life of Oharu, Scaramouche, 5 Fingers, Othello, The Narrow Margin, Kansas City Confidential, The Member of the Wedding, High Noon, Ikiru, The Lusty Men, On Dangerous Ground, The Quiet Man, Limelight, and all of these Loony Tunes: http://looneytunes.wikia.com/wiki/Category:1952

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I agree, although Closefriend didn't even mention Crimes & Misdemeanors, Mystery Train, Sex Lies & Videotape, Heathers or Santa Sangre.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

CPL593H posted:

If you're hanging out with a junkie you should listen to the Velvet Underground's debut album followed by Neil Young's Harvest.

Wrong needle, but close on the music: we did end up doing Rust Never Sleeps.

If for some reason you are interested I posted aftermath pics in the tattoo thread.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Discount Viscount just alerted me to James Garner's death. :smith: Goddammit all, dude was a badass. My Fellow Americans, Support Your Local Sheriff/Gunfighter, Maverick… They all owned… or at least their flaws weren't his fault.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I still have to see Tank and Victor/Victoria.

But since it's also the moon landing anniversary today is the perfect day in history to watch Space Cowboys.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Are you all surprised that things went poorly and I'm sad? Me either! How about that I didn't get drunk afterwards? Because I'm a little surprised by that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had a thought while watching The Man with the Golden Gun today. JW Pepper would fit perfectly in a Transformers movie. Especially if they had that stupid whistle every time Optimus Prime made some crazy jump.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
YTOTD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O59SiA4Yg0A

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The director of the Donnie Darko sequel definitely wrote his own Wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Fisher posted:

Fisher started the production company Imperial Fish Company in 2001 which worked on his first film Nightstalker and the film Taboo.[2][3] Fisher approaches his work with such intelligence and film literacy that he can be deemed nothing less than a video-store-relegated visionary. Among his trademarks are a strong surrealist style, a particular predilection for pulpy thrills, and a wonderful weakness for film noir conventions.He has stated in an interview with carveonline that "great movies come from taking risks. Big movies come from taking chances and they come from failing

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I'm watching Starship Troopers right now, and just realized after all these years that Dean Norris is the commanding officer in the boot camp.

A 34 year old Dean Norris who is almost completely bald.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I just wanted to make the announcement that it has come to my knowledge that Tony Jaa is co-starring with Dolph Lundgren in a "Thai-Canadian thriller action film" called Skintrade, written by John Hyams (Universal Soldier: Resurrection and Day of Reckoning) and also co-starring Ron Perlman (as a Russian named "Viktor Dragovic") and Peter Weller.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

CloseFriend posted:

Discount Viscount just alerted me to James Garner's death. :smith: Goddammit all, dude was a badass. My Fellow Americans, Support Your Local Sheriff/Gunfighter, Maverick… They all owned… or at least their flaws weren't his fault.

i'm going to blast through rockford files. i just did so a month ago, but now i'm going to again.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Favorite scene in Transformers 4: the robots attack Hong Kong and some police officers immediately go "we have to contact the central government!". Cut to a stern looking politician in Beijing walking to his car surrounded by various military looking people. Got the biggest laugh of the film.

I'm assuming this scene was only in the Chinese version.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Hedenius posted:

Favorite scene in Transformers 4: the robots attack Hong Kong and some police officers immediately go "we have to contact the central government!". Cut to a stern looking politician in Beijing walking to his car surrounded by various military looking people. Got the biggest laugh of the film.

I'm assuming this scene was only in the Chinese version.

Nope. It's in all versions.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Gonz posted:

Nope. It's in all versions.
What the hell? It really felt like something awkwardly edited in to please the Chinese censors.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hedenius posted:

What the hell? It really felt like something awkwardly edited in to please the Chinese censors.

Welcome to the new age of China-pandering Hollywood blockbusters. The movie is apparently the highest-grossing movie ever in China.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

timeandtide posted:

I just wanted to make the announcement that it has come to my knowledge that Tony Jaa is co-starring with Dolph Lundgren in a "Thai-Canadian thriller action film" called Skintrade, written by John Hyams (Universal Soldier: Resurrection and Day of Reckoning) and also co-starring Ron Perlman (as a Russian named "Viktor Dragovic") and Peter Weller.

I can't believe I have to say this, don't tell us what movies I will be masturbating to

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Eh, as much as I love Ong Bak (and I really, really love Ong Bak), Tony Jaa's lost it. I think the egomania thing after Tom Yum Goong immediately followed by running away and becoming a monk took it's toll on him. Also dude's nearly 40. Muay Thai fighters usually have a really short career due to doing everything with their knees and elbows and, even though he didn't do a lot of Muay Thai before Ong Bak, he's pretty burnt out.

That said, Ong Bak on Netflix is a really rough transfer, but the graininess really really works with the odd color choices in that movie to make it look like some vintage '70s or '80s movie.

Everyone watch Ong Bak all day.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Raid 2 was really violent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Raid 2 was really violent.

Put it on the wall at the library

• Locked thread