Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Yeah the "oh most Americans are too racist to care" reaction is laughably idiotic and borderline racist itself. Especially in the absence of anyone actually saying "so what, they're Muslim".

Ah man rednecks aren't going to care about this. And therefore, neither do I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sure the CIA spied on the Senate Intelligence Committee, but to be fair, it looks like someone on the Committee was trying to do their job by reviewing CIA documents, so no harm no foul, both sides are to blame, the truth is in the middle, boys will be boys, says the Justice Department.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
One can't help but suspect that the reason these ostensible lefties are so non-interested in a story about illegal racist discrimination is that they were really hoping to be validated as relevant by they or their leaders being the targets of government surveillance.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Tezzor posted:

One can't help but suspect that the reason these ostensible lefties are so non-interested in a story about illegal racist discrimination is that they were really hoping to be validated as relevant by they or their leaders being the targets of government surveillance.

Or it's because unlike when these stories first broke they were front page news on everything from the New York Times to Yahoo! and unfortunately the current revelations have been largely ignored. But sure, those speculating that the lack of reaction is because this country is full of racists are the real racists. :downs:

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Or it's because unlike when these stories first broke they were front page news on everything from the New York Times to Yahoo! and unfortunately the current revelations have been largely ignored. But sure, those speculating that the lack of reaction is because this country is full of racists are the real racists. :downs:

They are not just disappointed because no one will care, if the list was a bunch of radical commies and environmentalists the general population wouldn't care either. They are disappointed because they fantasized about being validated by oppression.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm also just not surprised at all.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Tezzor posted:

They are not just disappointed because no one will care, if the list was a bunch of radical commies and environmentalists the general population wouldn't care either. They are disappointed because they fantasized about being validated by oppression.

I think most of us who are disappointed (though I can only speak definitively about myself) are disappointed because we had hoped for politicians and judges to be named; we wanted those making the laws to be targeted by what they had authorized so that maybe, just maybe there would be motivation for real change.

We were optimistic because of how Greenwald had talked up this story. Hopefully there will be more. Assuming a huge number of Americans give zero fucks about many minority groups is an unfortunate but safe assumption.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yup, pre release, everyone itt was hoping it'd cover surveillance of sufficiently powerful public figures that people would give a poo poo about.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Tezzor posted:

Or maybe I wanted better assurances that the government isn't violating rights guaranteed by the 4th amendment even in the absence of oppression. Seeing as how I fit the NSA's description of suspicious foreigner (I'm a linux & TOR user, who frequents "suspicious" websites, has a foreign sounding name, and a foreign born wife, who makes frequent overseas calls to places including the middle east) my expectation that they'll respect those rights is zero. But thanks for the condescension, it's much appreciated. :jerkbag:

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

size1one posted:

Or maybe I wanted better assurances that the government isn't violating rights guaranteed by the 4th amendment even in the absence of oppression. Seeing as how I fit the NSA's description of suspicious foreigner (I'm a linux & TOR user, who frequents "suspicious" websites, has a foreign sounding name, and a foreign born wife, who makes frequent overseas calls to places including the middle east) my expectation that they'll respect those rights is zero. But thanks for the condescension, it's much appreciated. :jerkbag:

I speak German..maybe they need some replacement spies about now !

"Earnest" White House Press Secretary posted:

MR. EARNEST: Well, Julie, it’s precisely because we do take these intelligence matters and reports related to purported intelligence matters into our broader national security very seriously that I’m not in a position to comment on them. Again, any sort of comment on any purported intelligence activity would place at risk U.S. assets, U.S. personnel, and the United States’ national security. So I’m just not in a position to comment on it.

We do continue to be in touch with the Germans at a variety of levels, including through law enforcement, diplomatic, and even intelligence channels. We’re in touch because we recognize the value and the strong partnership that exists between the United States and Germany. That partnership covers a variety of issues, including national security and intelligence-sharing matters. So we value --

CIA Station chief booted from Germany, 2 spies arrested, and Germany re-thinking that "Do not spy on each other" agreement. A variety of levels indeed, Mister Earnest.

internaut
Mar 2, 2007

I don't stop for nothin', kid.
Couple more pieces of news. Nice to be reminded of the strangely threatening computer destruction in the Guardian's basement.

NSA chief knew/approved of Guardian computer destruction before it happened

The Guardian posted:

General Keith Alexander, the then director of the NSA, was briefed that the Guardian was prepared to make a largely symbolic act of destroying documents from Edward Snowden last July, new documents reveal.

The revelation that Alexander and Obama's director of national intelligence, James Clapper, were advised on the Guardian's destruction of several hard disks and laptops contrasts markedly with public White House statements that distanced the US from the decision.

White House and NSA emails obtained by Associated Press under freedom of information legislation demonstrate how pleased Alexander and his colleagues were with the developments. At times the correspondence takes a celebratory tone, with one official describing the anticipated destruction as "good news".

On 20 July 2013, three Guardian editors destroyed all copies of the its Snowden material held in London (video), under the supervision of two GCHQ staff following a period of intense political pressure in the UK.

The decision to destroy the UK copies of the material was taken in a climate of advancing legal threats from Cabinet Office and intelligence officials. The Guardian and its publishing partners, which included the New York Times and the not-for-profit news organisation ProPublica, held other copies of the material in the US, and continued reporting revelations from the documents.

When the Guardian revealed it had destroyed several computers a month later in August, the White House spokesman Josh Earnest initially remarked it was hard to "evaluate the propriety of what they did based on incomplete knowledge of what happened" but said it would be hard to imagine the same events occurring in the US.

"That's very difficult to imagine a scenario in which that would be appropriate," he concluded.

However, heavily redacted email correspondence obtained by AP reporter Jack Gillum shows senior NSA officials celebrating the destruction of the material, even before it had occurred.

An email to Alexander from Rick Ledgett, now deputy director of the NSA, has the subject line "Guardian data being destroyed", and is dated 19 July, a day before the destruction of the files. Most is heavily redacted, but Ledgett remarks: "Good news, at least on this front."

A day later, hours after the material was destroyed, Alexander follows up with Ledgett, asking: "Can you confirm this actually occurred?"

Later that day, Clapper emails Alexander under the same subject line, saying: "Thanks Keith … appreciate the conversation today".

The remainder of the emails are redacted, including the subject lines in many cases, meaning it is unclear who from the British government briefed the senior NSA and White House staff on the destruction, or whether US officials had any input to the decision to encourage destruction of journalistic material.

A spokeswoman for the Guardian said the revelation of the US-UK correspondence on the destruction was disappointing.

"We're disappointed to learn that cross-Atlantic conversations were taking place at the very highest levels of government ahead of the bizarre destruction of journalistic material that took place in the Guardian's basement last July," she said. "What's perhaps most concerning is that the disclosure of these emails appears to contradict the White House's comments about these events last year, when they questioned the appropriateness of the UK government's intervention."

The NSA and GCHQ declined to respond to AP's requests for comment on the email exchange.

The NSA has more Snowden emails but refuses to release them

The Desk posted:

The National Security Agency has acknowledged it retains a record of e-mail communications from former contractor turned whistleblower Edward Snowden, but says those records are exempt from public disclosure under the federal Freedom of Information Act.

In a letter responding to a June 27 FOIA request from The Desk, the NSA’s chief FOIA officer Pamela Phillips wrote that while the agency has retained records related to Snowden’s employment as a contractor, they are being withheld from public examination because, among other things, releasing the records “could interfere with law enforcement proceedings, could cause an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy, could reveal the identities of confidential sources or would reveal law enforcement techniques and procedures.”

Other records are being withheld because those documents were “also found to be currently and properly classified…and remains classified TOP SECRET, SECRET and CONFIDENTIAL.”

The letter marks the first time the NSA has publicly acknowledged retaining communication and employment records related to Snowden’s time as a contractor.

The Desk‘s original FOIA request was for “and and all e-mails sent by Edward Snowden using the e-mail address ejsnowd@nsa.ic.gov to any and all NSA officials, including officials at the Office of General Counsel, for the time period between January 1, 2013 and June 1, 2013.” Though the request did not specify records related to Snowden’s claim that he raised concerns about the legality clandestine NSA surveillance programs, Phillips wrote that “there are no e-mails indicating that Mr. Snowden contacted agency officials to raise concerns about NSA programs.”

The agency has made similar statements in the past: Last December, the NSA told Washington Post reporter Barton Gellman that Snowden raise no questions about surveillance programs with superiors during his time as a contractor.

“After extensive investigation, including interviews with his former NSA supervisors and co-workers, we have not found any evidence to support Mr. Snowden’s contention that he brought these matters to anyone’s attention,” an agency official told Gellman.

But the NSA walked back this claim after an NBC News broadcast in May in which Snowden asserted the agency had e-mail records in which he repeatedly raised concerns about secret spy programs. Shortly after the interview was broadcast, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence de-classified one e-mail record in which Snowden writes to a superior with a question about legal authorities.

That e-mail, the NSA claimed, proved that Snowden did not act as a whistleblower. The agency clarified its position to say it had no records of Snowden raising direct concerns about the legality of NSA spy programs, something Snowden has refuted.

“The NSA’s new discovery of written contact between me and its lawyers — after more than a year of denying any such contact existed – raises serious concerns,” Snowden told NBC News in a follow-up e-mail. “It reveals as false the NSA’s claim to Barton Gellman of the Washington Post in December of last year.”

Snowden is currently holed up somewhere in Russia under temporary political asylum. He fled to Hong Kong shortly before the first set of stories were published based on thousands of classified documents he took during his time as an NSA contractor. He was en route to a different location when the U.S. government suspended his travel visa, stranding him in Russia.

The NSA informed The Desk that the agency has a process for appealing FOIA requests that are denied or to challenge the withholding of certain records. The Desk will be taking advantage of this process.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/11/the-ultimate-goal-of-the-nsa-is-total-population-control

quote:

At least 80% of all audio calls, not just metadata, are recorded and stored in the US, says whistleblower William Binney

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
There is no greater treason than covering up the crimes of the NSA.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/07/snowden-nsa-employees-routinely-pass-around-intercepted-nude-photos/

quote:

Edward Snowden has revealed that he witnessed “numerous instances” of National Security Agency (NSA) employees passing around nude photos that were intercepted “in the course of their daily work.”

"You've got young enlisted guys, 18 to 22 years old,” Snowden said. “They've suddenly been thrust into a position of extraordinary responsibility where they now have access to all of your private records. In the course of their daily work they stumble across something that is completely unrelated to their work in any sort of necessary sense. For example, an intimate nude photo of someone in a sexually compromising position. But they're extremely attractive.

“So what do they do? They turn around in their chair and show their co-worker. The co-worker says: ‘Hey that's great. Send that to Bill down the way.’ And then Bill sends it to George and George sends it to Tom. And sooner or later this person's whole life has been seen by all of these other people. It's never reported. Nobody ever knows about it because the auditing of these systems is incredibly weak.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

There was also the UK rushing through a new spying legislation, acronym DRIP, through, as well as the attorney general of Australia proposing much the same, as well as the potential criminalization of "Snowden-style" leaks. But that's just depressing.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Edward Snowden and Daniel Ellsberg, who leaked the Pentagon Papers, are going to have a live talk in a few minutes. Thought some of you might be interested.

Live stream here.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

What all of this proves to me is that the government is masterful at damage control.. I mean, in basically a year, it has been more-or-less proven that the NSA spys on virtually everyone and goes so far to spy on non-'targets' at their most intimate times. Yet here we are, and no one really cares.

You know what, maybe all of these releases and 'leaks' were just a test to see just how docile the US population is :tinfoil: What does it take for people to say 'This isn't worth it'?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dr.Caligari posted:

You know what, maybe all of these releases and 'leaks' were just a test to see just how docile the US population is :tinfoil: What does it take for people to say 'This isn't worth it'?

Starvation, but by then it would be too late.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The video this comes from is posted here:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/jul/17/edward-snowden-video-interview

Article:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/18/-sp-edward-snowden-interview-rusbridger-macaskill

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Everyone (radio hosts, forums users, persons on the street) keeps saying that it'll be too late when more people are starving, but hasn't it been too late for like a decade now? The proletariat (or even what's left of the middle class) can't even coordinate against Capital because the latter spies on literally all of the former's electronic communications literally all the time, and any pocket (say, <10000) resistance can be put down insanely quickly with an irresponsibly-loud noise beam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Acoustic_Device) or a device that can microwave protestors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System) (that's actually why I typed into Google:3:). I don't really have a point except that things can only get worse and no number of people can fight a literal war machine, or several.

Edit: I don't have the slightest clue how to put links in text, the HTML tags I learned in primary school did nothing.
Edit2: To say nothing of how even 1000 personnel would even move about without getting picked off several at a time by plain old jackbooted stormtroopers.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 19, 2014

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Wrong thread?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
An old (2012ish) list of some internet tools used by NSA and GCHQ has been released. I copied specific lines which caught my eye, and bolding is my emphasis.

:tinfoil:

The Intercept posted:

*COLLECTION*

• AIRWOLF - YouTube profile, comment and video collection.
  • ANCESTRY - Tool for discovering the creation date of yahoo selectors.
  • BEARTRAP - Bulk retrival of public BEBO profiles from member or group ID.
  • BIRDSONG - Automated posting of Twitter updates.
  • BIRDSTRIKE - Twitter monitoring and profile collection.
  • BUGSY - Google+ collection (circles, profiles etc.)
  • DRAGON'S SNOUT - Paltalk group chat collection.
  • EXCALIBUR - Acquires a Paltalk UID and/or email address from a Screen Name.
  • FUSEWIRE - Provides 24/7 monitoring of Vbulliten forums for target postings/online activity. Also allows staggered postings to be made.
  • HACIENDA - A port scanning tool designed to scan an entire country or city.
  • MOUTH - Tool for collection for downloading a user's files from Archive.org.
  • SEBACIUM - A system to identify P2P file sharing activity of intelligence value.
  • SPRING BISHOP - Find private photographs of targets on Facebook.
  • SYLVESTER - Framework for automated interaction / alias management on online social networks.

*EFFECTS CAPABILITY*

• ANGRY PIRATE - A tool that will permanently disable a target's account on their computer.
  • BUMPERCAR+ - BUMPERCAR operations are used to disrupt and deny internet-based terror videos or other material. The technique employs the services provided by upload providers to report offensive materials.
  • BOMB BAY - Capability to increase website hits/rankings.
  • BADGER - Mass delivery of email messaging.
  • BURLESQUE - Capability to send spoofed SMS text messages.
  • CLEAN SWEEP - Masquerade Facebook Wall Posts for individuals or entire countries.
  • CLUMSY BEEKEEPER - Some work in progress to investigate IRC effects.
  • CHINESE FIRECRACKER - Overt brute login attempts against online forums.
  • CONCRETE DONKEY - Capability to scatter an audio message to a large number of telephones, or repeatedly bomb a target with the same message.
  • GATEWAY - Ability to artificially increase traffic to a website.
  • GESTATOR - Amplification of a given message, normally video, on popular multimedia websites (Youtube).
  • GLITTERBALL - Online Gaming Capabilities for Sensitive Operations. Currently Second Life.
  • PITBULL - Large scale delivery of a tailored message to users of Instant Messaging services.
  • POISONED DAGGER - Effects against Gigatribe. (a P2P network)
  • PREDATORS FACE - Targeted Denial Of Service against Web Servers.
  • ROLLING THUNDER - Distributed Denial Of Service using P2P.
  • SCRAPHEAP CHALLENGE - Perfect spoofing of emails from Blackberry targets.
  • SERPENTS TONGUE - Fax message broadcasting to multiple numbers.
  • SILVERBLADE - Reporting of extremist material on DAILYMOTION.
  • SILVERLORD - Disruption of video-based websites hosting extremist content through concerted target discovery and content removal.
  • SKYSCRAPER - Production and dissemination of multimedia via the web.
  • SLIPSTREAM - Ability to inflate page views on websites.
  • STEALTH MOOSE - Tool to disrupt target's Windows machine. Logs how long and when the effect is active.
  • SUNBLOCK - Ability to deny functionality to send/receive email or view material online.
  • SWAMP DONKEY - Tool that will silently locate all predefined types of files and encrypt them on a targets machine.
  • UNDERPASS - Change outcome of online polls.
  • WARPATH - Mass delivery of SMS messages.

*WORKFLOW*

• NAMEJACKER - A web service and admin console for the translation of usernames between networks. For use with gateways and other such technologies.

*ANALYSIS TOOLS*

• BABYLON - Tool that bulk queries web mail addresses and verifies whether they can be signed up for.
  • ELATE - Suite of tools for monitoring target use of the auction site eBay. These tools are hosted on an internet server, and results are retrieved by encrypted mail.
  • TANGLEFOOT - Tool which bulk queries a set of online resources. This allows analysts to quickly check the online presence of a target.

*TECHNIQUES*

• CHANGELING - Ability to spoof any email address and send email under that identity.
  • HAVOK - Real time website cloning allowing on-the-fly alterations.
  • SPACE ROCKET - A programme covering insertion of media into target networks.
  • RANA - Provides CAPTCHA-solving via a web service. This is intended for use by BUMPERCAR+ and possibly in the future by SHORTFALL, but anyone is welcome to use it.
  • LUMP - A system that finds the avatar name from a Second Life AgentID.

*HONEYPOTS AND SHAPING*

• DEADPOOL - URL shortening service.
  • LONGSHOT - File upload and sharing website.
  • MOLTEN MAGMA - CGI HTTP proxy with ability to log all traffic and perform HTTPS Man in the Middle.
  • NIGHTCRAWLER - Public online group against dodgy websites.
  • PISTRIX - Image hosting and sharing website.
  • WURLITZER - Distribute a file to multiple file hosting websites.

quote:

Don't treat this like a catalogue. If you don't see it here, it doesn't mean we can't build it.

but really theres a ton more in their list I just couldn't understand or were bland.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 20, 2014

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I wonder what would happen if you made a big microwave reflector and put it in front of one of those protestor microwaves.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Sudo Echo posted:

I wonder what would happen if you made a big microwave reflector and put it in front of one of those protestor microwaves.

I think mattresses have been the counter-measure of choice so far. I had never heard about the Raytheon-developed Silent Guardian version before though, that's kind of freaky.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

*HONEYPOTS AND SHAPING*

DEADPOOL - URL shortening service.
LONGSHOT - File upload and sharing website.
MOLTEN MAGMA - CGI HTTP proxy with ability to log all traffic and perform HTTPS Man in the Middle.
NIGHTCRAWLER - Public online group against dodgy websites.
PISTRIX - Image hosting and sharing website.
WURLITZER - Distribute a file to multiple file hosting websites.

gently caress you, NSA. Creating what are essentially phishing websites masquerading as legitimate companies (with privacy policies that presumably outright lie) undermines the trust required for the internet to function.

These websites would be useless if they weren't well known, so combined with the capability to automate boosting website rankings and spreading propaganda over social media, I wouldn't be surprised if the most well known hosting/proxy services were NSA run.

multiupload.com?
imgur?
hidemyass?

Again, gently caress you.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

quote:

CHANGELING - Ability to spoof any email address and send email under that identity.
SPACE ROCKET - A programme covering insertion of media into target networks.

These two are the most alarming to me. You could permanently ruin an innocent persons reputation/life using these.. And what could that person say? "I didn't do it"? "The government did it"?

Thats hosed.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
one of them is called SPACE ROCKET tho

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Dr.Caligari posted:

These two are the most alarming to me. You could permanently ruin an innocent persons reputation/life using these.. And what could that person say? "I didn't do it"? "The government did it"?

Thats hosed.

To be fair spoofing email is actually insanely easy to do.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Edit ^^ Beaten

Dr.Caligari posted:

Thats hosed.

Spoofing email is trivial. You're trusting whatever mail server that sent the email to tell the truth. If you're sending a message important enough that people need to know it comes from you, it should be digitally signed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signature

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 20, 2014

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
News that Glenn Greenwald is coming to New Zealand to speak on the 15th next month is making some waves here.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Jacobin posted:

News that Glenn Greenwald is coming to New Zealand to speak on the 15th next month is making some waves here.

If Greenwald got arrested in New Zealand for spilling Five Eyes secrets I'd laugh my rear end off, since there's statutory, rather than constitutional press freedom guarantees. Plus Key strikes me as the kind of sycophant to do this if the US State Department asked him to. See the bullshit surrounding Kim Dotcom. (who does deserve to pay a massive fine, but I think jail is excessive)

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
This seems like a strange thing to have lied about.

Edit: VVV

I wasn't asking anyone to believe the link, I meant that it seemed like such a pointless thing to lie about it can't possibly be true. Also

quote:

BODY-LANGUAGE EXPERT: I Would Not Trust Anything Snowden Said To NBC
:laffo:

Winkle-Daddy fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 21, 2014

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
e: ^ohhh I understand you now, sorry for my confusion! :)

Winkle-Daddy posted:

This seems like a strange thing to have lied about.

Huh, lets look at some other articles Mr. Kelly wrote. I only went back as far back as March, these are just some of his articles against Snowden.

Russian Security Expert: Snowden Is Leaving Out Key Details About Russian Spies Approaching Him

Two Top Cold War Spies Made The Same Troubling Prediction About Edward Snowden

BODY-LANGUAGE EXPERT: I Would Not Trust Anything Snowden Said To NBC

One Crucial Party Has Disappeared From Snowden's Story

A Former Obama Cabinet Official Made The Strongest Snowden Allegation Yet

Edward Snowden Says The US Stranded Him In Russia — Here Are 4 Problems With That Claim

WikiLeaks Blew A Big Hole In The Snowden Narrative

[Picture of Snowden] Russia's New Ability To Evade NSA Surveillance Is Either A Crazy Coincidence Or Something Much Worse

Snowden Has One Very Important And Potentially Devastating Question To Answer

One Simple Thing Snowden Can Do To Silence Critics
(lol)

Mr. Edward Epstein's writings are used as the basis for a few of these as well. I'm going to wait for better information before I'll believe your link, sorry. :(

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 21, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

People seem to be burying the lead that the government is using programs named after X-Men characters.

How long until Operation Magneto?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

tentative8e8op posted:

Mr. Edward Epstein's writings are used as the basis for a few of these as well. I'm going to wait for better information before I'll believe your link, sorry. :(

There's another equally good argument in this he-said-she-said situation: What does Snowden stand to gain from lying about this? If true, it hurts his credibility, for some vague indescript gain (I guess we're supposed to think he was shopping his goods to various state actors?). In other words, Snowden gains basically nothing from lying other than making him look more "patriotic".

Meanwhile the CIA gets to further muddy the water and discredit Snowden if they are lying.

I think the motives speak for themselves and the liar is obvious.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Looks like I get to post this one:

Blacklisted: The Secret Government Rulebook for Labeling You a Terrorist

Looks like Firstlook is publishing an analysis of the 166-page document laying out the government's process for putting people on lists.

Totally uncorroborated Facebook/Twitter posts look like enough to get you put on a list somewhere!

Yee haw!

e:

We've got profiling!

quote:

While the nomination process appears methodical on paper, in practice there is a shortcut around the entire system. Known as a “threat-based expedited upgrade,” it gives a single White House official the unilateral authority to elevate entire “categories of people” whose names appear in the larger databases onto the no fly or selectee lists. This can occur, the guidelines state, when there is a “particular threat stream” indicating that a certain type of individual may commit a terrorist act.

Chavistas vindicated?

quote:

The list of government entities that collect this data includes the U.S. Agency for International Development, which is neither an intelligence nor law-enforcement agency. As the rulebook notes, USAID funds foreign aid programs that promote environmentalism, health care, and education. USAID, which presents itself as committed to fighting global poverty, nonetheless appears to serve as a conduit for sensitive intelligence about foreigners. According to the guidelines, “When USAID receives an application seeking financial assistance, prior to granting, these applications are subject to vetting by USAID intelligence analysts at the TSC.” The guidelines do not disclose the volume of names provided by USAID, the type of information it provides, or the number and duties of the “USAID intelligence analysts.”

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 24, 2014

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

What was fun about this was that if multiple agencies had placed you on a list, and you challenged it, they all had to agree to take you off. Incredibly easy to get on, incredibly hard to get off. Like the guy who had been fingered for being everything from the Zodiac Killer to the Unabomber.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Aurubin posted:

What was fun about this was that if multiple agencies had placed you on a list, and you challenged it, they all had to agree to take you off. Incredibly easy to get on, incredibly hard to get off. Like the guy who had been fingered for being everything from the Zodiac Killer to the Unabomber.

I had hoped the lesson the government would learn from the Richard Jewell debacle wouldn't be "make all the evidence secret so they totally can't sue us even if after the fact all our actions are exposed."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Aurubin posted:

also the part where even if you are acquitted of a crime you can still stay on a no fly list, because reasons...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Greenwald's bringing the heat:

The Intercept posted:

The NSA’s New Partner in Spying: Saudi Arabia’s Brutal State Police

The National Security Agency last year significantly expanded its cooperative relationship with the Saudi Ministry of Interior, one of the world’s most repressive and abusive government agencies. An April 2013 top secret memo provided by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden details the agency’s plans “to provide direct analytic and technical support” to the Saudis on “internal security” matters.

For those of you more plugged into the MSM than I am, what's your sense of the penetration on this stuff?

• Locked thread