Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's a Bioshock 2 ending where splicers start popping up on the surface of the ocean like an oil spill just killed thousands of fish, it's so fuckin dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

That's twice forum shenanigans have taken away the primary place to post about video games on steam. Someone should do something about that.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Quest For Glory II posted:

There's a Bioshock 2 ending where splicers start popping up on the surface of the ocean like an oil spill just killed thousands of fish, it's so fuckin dumb.
Minerva's Den. Everyone owns it on Steam now.

Reinstall the drat thing on Steam and play it because the ending is actually not a pile of poo poo. It's actually loving good. All of it, actually.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

MooCowlian posted:

That's twice forum shenanigans have taken away the primary place to post about video games on steam. Someone should do something about that.
Fantastic idea! Ban MooCowlian

srulz posted:

Hi duckfarts, I would really appreciate if you could confirm this please, thanks!

Also, your gifter is from where actually? I've heard that MGS: Revengeance's gift from certain places is redeemable, while others are not.
Worked fine! Gifter was from USA USA USA. The places you should avoid getting gifted from are Russia and Brazil, as those regions have reduced pricing normally to try and sell in the face of rampant pirating, so those are generally the ones you have to both buy, activate, and play in/from those regions.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Memnaelar posted:

My fiancee and I tried to love Dungeon Siege 3 but just couldn't do it. Love the mechanics and gameplay, but how the hell did an Obsidian game end up with characters and writing THAT BAD? It is the most generic of fantasy settings with a few gears tossed in because Steampunk. The gameplay, while really competent, just couldn't get me past my own loathing for my characters, much less the boring crap they were killing.

We never did get our revenge on Jeyne Kassinder. I have no idea how, but they managed to make Torchlight II's world feel deep and interesting by comparison. WTF, Obsidian.

The impact that writing had on the game's pace was terrible. There were some neat lore points, but the game slogged when it came to the conversation system.

Ironically, the gameplay is really fun and the DLC is pretty good. Treasures of the Sun is all about the action.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I actually really liked the story in Dungeon Siege 3. It struck me as the bare minimum that a game could have in terms of story while still calling itself an RPG. It was nice to actually have a few choices throughout the game, and then an ending that told me what those choices did! Holy poo poo!

I was kinda perplexed that Diablo 3 had zero choices throughout the entire game and you were just supposed to accept stuff like, "Reassembling this clearly evil undead necromancer dude is a good idea that will work out well for us" while he mwahahas it up in the background.

At the end of the day it was an ARPG so don't expect much of a story, but at least it actually had one.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

It turns out steam is inside all of us.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm trying to play Skyrim right now and the characters and story are drab and boring, the combat/"exploration" is repetitive and unsatisfying, and every minute I try to slog through it, the more I want to just go try the Witcher 2 instead.

I have a ton of mods so I just treat Skyrim as a bandit murder and dress-up simulator. At my current level, with all the spells I've accumulated and mana buffs I'm using, I'm basically a demi-god. I haven't had a challenging encounter in about 30 levels and I've nearly discovered every single thing on the map. But I keep playing because there's tons more "Immersive Armors" out there, plus at least a hundred more spells that I don't have yet.

Also there was that mod I discovered recently where you can save and import characters as NPCs across save files, which gave me incentive to create new characters so that I can have a dream team of overpowered Murdahkiin.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
So I like Child of Light so far, its nice and pretty and good, but my two problems are that: I can't tell how much health an enemy has or what its elemental pros/cons are; the words "Game Over" trigger me.

Ok it's really one problem.

Kraps fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 20, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Gort posted:

I was kinda perplexed that Diablo 3 had zero choices throughout the entire game and you were just supposed to accept stuff like, "Reassembling this clearly evil undead necromancer dude is a good idea that will work out well for us" while he mwahahas it up in the background.

Actually the necromancer was neat because of how much it was foreshadowed. You're right there when he gets his new life and you immediately wreck his poo poo. Implicitly, it means that the PC is strong enough to be there to stop him and that you were one step ahead all the time.

Compare this with the actual betrayal of Adria and Leahiablo and Blizzard still pulls some subtle twists. I actually cheered for Leahiablo because Imperius is such a stinky butt.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

King Vidiot posted:

Also there was that mod I discovered recently where you can save and import characters as NPCs across save files, which gave me incentive to create new characters so that I can have a dream team of overpowered Murdahkiin.

Fair warning: imported characters don't keep modded spells. Most of them are designed to be used by the player and only the player, and keeping them on the PC when converted to an NPC caused lots of problems, so the mod maker disabled it.

You could add the spells with the console, I guess, if you're not worried about breaking stuff.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tezzeract posted:

Actually the necromancer was neat because of how much it was foreshadowed. You're right there when he gets his new life and you immediately wreck his poo poo. Implicitly, it means that the PC is strong enough to be there to stop him and that you were one step ahead all the time.

Compare this with the actual betrayal of Adria and Leahiablo and Blizzard still pulls some subtle twists. I actually cheered for Leahiablo because Imperius is such a stinky butt.

One thing I really liked in Diablo 3 is when your character calls Belial on his poo poo. By the time you go to fight him, it is REALLY loving obvious that the kid Emperor is Belial. I liked that my character had come to the same conclusion I had and didn't act the least bit surprised.

Tweek-
Jul 13, 2014

Bladesofskrm posted:

That's a lot. Did you find any takers?
On topic, when is the next Steam sale?

Just read up on comments..

It was not mine. I responded in disbelief to someone who put it up there on steam for that price ;)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Silver Falcon posted:

One thing I really liked in Diablo 3 is when your character calls Belial on his poo poo. By the time you go to fight him, it is REALLY loving obvious that the kid Emperor is Belial. I liked that my character had come to the same conclusion I had and didn't act the least bit surprised.

A Diablo III with no story other than "Diablo is there, kill him" would still be better than full Metzen we got.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

That's funny, I thought that part was really lame because Belial is supposed to be the "Lord of Lies" and a master of deceit, so I feel like it was really anti-climatic for his whole plan to end up being really transparent. Same thing with how Azmodan is supposed to be a master tactician and all he really does is tell you about his plans while you're already in the process of destroying everything he's throwing at you.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

duckfarts posted:

Fantastic idea! Ban MooCowlian

Worked fine! Gifter was from USA USA USA. The places you should avoid getting gifted from are Russia and Brazil, as those regions have reduced pricing normally to try and sell in the face of rampant pirating, so those are generally the ones you have to both buy, activate, and play in/from those regions.

Note that MGR is also region-locked in a bunch of other SE asian countries as well as all the rest of South America, even though the prices in those 2 regions are exactly the same as the US price. While there are many less words in it than before, the OP still includes a list of US gifters.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Palladium posted:

A Diablo III with no story other than "Diablo is there, kill him" would still be better than full Metzen we got.
I sort of wonder if Metzen was stealing notes from someone else or something for the earlier games. I mean D1 was really subdued and dark, and D2 wasn't quite as mysterious but still pretty alright. Some of the retcons were dumb and it was hard to take Hell seriously when it was just a closet with a greasefire in it but still.

D3 is just painful. They have so much money. Hire a real person instead of a used up husk please.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Why on earth isn't Mass Effect 3 on Steam? I actually thought it hadn't been ported to PC at all until just now.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Phenotype posted:

Why on earth isn't Mass Effect 3 on Steam? I actually thought it hadn't been ported to PC at all until just now.

EA wanting to push Origin, so they're refusing to put any EA games on Steam since Dragon Age 2.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Phenotype posted:

Because EA are dickbags who insist on Origin

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Phenotype posted:

Because EA like Capcom hates money.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

I sort of wonder if Metzen was stealing notes from someone else or something for the earlier games. I mean D1 was really subdued and dark, and D2 wasn't quite as mysterious but still pretty alright. Some of the retcons were dumb and it was hard to take Hell seriously when it was just a closet with a greasefire in it but still.

D3 is just painful. They have so much money. Hire a real person instead of a used up husk please.

I'm almost convinced that you can hire Wrestling writers and get better stories for most videogames.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pretty sure the only EA games on Steam are games released before Origin, they want you to use their storefront instead of Valve's. Which is why you can find things like Dragon Age Origins and BC2 but not their sequels. Recent EA games are only available on Origin in the same way you can only buy Valve games through Steam.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tezzeract posted:

I'm almost convinced that you can hire Wrestling writers and get better stories for most videogames.

VGCW basically proves this out.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Who here likes free Greenlight stuff?

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Gurumin

quote:

Vote ‘YES’ on the Gurumin Greenlight page and join this group to receive a FREE copy of the game (Steam code) once it is Greenlit and released!

It’s as simple as that! Spread the word!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Palladium posted:

Because EA like Capcom hates money.

I guess this answers my next question, which is "Why can I get Street Fighter and not Marvel vs Capcom?"

Orv
May 4, 2011

iastudent posted:

I was thrilled up until the part where it's an anime PSP game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Phenotype posted:

I guess this answers my next question, which is "Why can I get Street Fighter and not Marvel vs Capcom?"
Capcom lost the rights so they couldn't make a PC port for MvC even if they wanted to.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Phenotype posted:

That is actually probably a different answer involving Disney, Marvel, and publishing rights.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

iastudent posted:

I vaguely remember playing this game ages ago and I believe it was actually good IIRC.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

razorrozar posted:

Because EA are dickbags who insist on Origin

Isn't it also due to Valve insisting all DLC be sold on Steam and not through in-game purchasing via Origin?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

Isn't it also due to Valve insisting all DLC be sold on Steam and not through in-game purchasing via Origin?
You realise the can of worms an exception would cause right. EA is meant to still put titles onto Steam, just when the complete pack with all the DLC exists.

Orv
May 4, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

That's part of it yes, but it's mostly EA trying to be a big boy.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

iastudent posted:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

he's right

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Okay so Strider does have some backtracking after all, however it's still in the Metroid Fusion sense where you go back to regions but it's completely new areas in those regions. Every region looks really cool in this game, I just finished the black market area and it's a lil underground city with neon signs and christmas lights.

There's only one major flaw in the game that I've experienced and it's a technical one, which is saving. So you can't manually save, it autosaves for you, but it only autosaves at healing terminals. But the game also has 'checkpoints'. I haven't died in the game yet, so I've gotten burned a couple of times by assuming that the checkpoint meant the game autosaved and decided to take a break, only to come back and realize i lost progress.

I was coming here to post after I got burned by the same thing. I figured it out quickly enough, that the save points are the health refill stations. I think the checkpoints are where you respawn from if you die but has nothing to do with the save file itself.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Davincie posted:

he's right

xbox

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Davincie posted:

he's right

One thing that's missing on the steam forums is a thread to talk about steam while relaxing and playing games with friends and discussing dynasty warriors 8 extreme.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

You realise the can of worms an exception would cause right. EA is meant to still put titles onto Steam, just when the complete pack with all the DLC exists.

So Syndicate, ME3, DS3, and DA2 are coming to Steam soon then right? I mean no more DLC is being created for them, they could easily make a complete pack for their fans that don't like using Origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rookersh posted:

So Syndicate, ME3, DS3, and DA2 are coming to Steam soon then right? I mean no more DLC is being created for them, they could easily make a complete pack for their fans that don't like using Origin.

Except they won't, because to EA the tectonic slide into insolvency is like a sweet wine.

• Locked thread