Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EDDryden
Jan 31, 2013

Dove back into this game on Hard after a long hiatus, and drat did I ever get a walloping. Not at all like riding a bicycle :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

slowbeef posted:

The Sega CD game Sewer Shark is kinda awesome for this. The main actor (the guy talking to the camera/player) would just berate your character for totally inane poo poo, even if you did well. It was kinda funny in how painfully bad it was.

The game starts by having him name you "DOGMEAT" and then you get ranked up to "RATBREATH." For some reason then, he kicks you all the way up to "EXTERMINATOR" and then the highest level and compliment: "BEACHBUM."

I had this game as a kid and I was terrible at it. I'd generally last long enough for him to brand me "PENCIL-NECK", then die when I'd miss a turn and hit a dead end.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Section Z posted:

EDIT: If there was a way to filter TAS between "Impossible for mere mortals" and "All of the glitches, all of the time", I would probably spend a lot of time watching TAS.

Like this? Admittedly it's probably not divided along quite the lines you want, but it's better than nothing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zoig posted:

I think you would like this, they tried to show this off in AGDQ but it got desynced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hETRzNzpFAI

HMS Boromir posted:

Like this? Admittedly it's probably not divided along quite the lines you want, but it's better than nothing.

:allears: This is such a great thread. You're right about not quite though. Turns out that very same Megaman Video I was talking about is from here, which sports the "Forgoes time-saving glitches" Tag despite the description giving a little speech about perfection, and the mass usage of phasing through walls and other glitches in the name of perfection.

A lot of these seem pretty cool though. And they do explain If/What glitches they will use to bend the game to their will, such as permanent UFO powerup for Kirby. I'll admit that one sounds amazing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Section Z posted:

:allears: This is such a great thread. You're right about not quite though. Turns out that very same Megaman Video I was talking about is from here, which sports the "Forgoes time-saving glitches" Tag despite the description giving a little speech about perfection, and the mass usage of phasing through walls and other glitches in the name of perfection.

A lot of these seem pretty cool though. And they do explain If/What glitches they will use to bend the game to their will, such as permanent UFO powerup for Kirby. I'll admit that one sounds amazing.

It sounds like the Speed Demos Archive might be more up your alley. It's for videos of non-tool assisted speedruns. That is, everything on there was done by a real person with a real controller or keyboard. The videos on the site are just gameplay, but they frequently organize streams where speedrunners gather in person to raise money for various charities through speedrunning, and since they do it live and in person they frequently explain what they're doing as they do it. You can find those in the "________ Games Done Quick" playlists on their YouTube channel. I also suggest checking out the speedrun thread here on our very own forum!

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Some speedruns are definitely a lot more fun to watch than others. I could watch people do Yoshi's Island every day, because speedrunning that 100% is all about finding an elegant flow through the level.

Personally, when I think of TAS I think of this awesome run of Battletoads by FODA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88cWEFJe0M4

Incidently, my favourite non-TAS Battletoads run is also co-op:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBr-0H8MJS4

edit: Wasn't this a W101 thread? What happened to us...

Mulgar fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 19, 2014

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mulgar posted:

edit: Wasn't this a W101 thread? What happened to us...

Unite... TANGENT!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Is there a particularly not irritating way of checking whether or not a particular Wonderful One is already in my team? I want to comb through and recruit everyone and I don't know where to start.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Fedule posted:

Is there a particularly not irritating way of checking whether or not a particular Wonderful One is already in my team? I want to comb through and recruit everyone and I don't know where to start.

You can go through the Wonderful Ones on your team and your levels by touching the arrow at the bottom of the touchpad during an operation. You sort what Wonderful Ones in different ways, like by number and by weapon they use. You'll have to go through manually with a list, but it's better than nothing.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Fedule posted:

After beating the final operation you unlock gallery mode, which contains a numerically sorted list of all the Wonderful Ones you've found (among other things).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
More questions!

What is the deal with combos? I cannot get good combo scores reliably. I'm playing through early operations again (on Hard mode) and while most things have clicked and I am flattening motherfuckers and never getting hit, my combo medals frequently come back bronze or null. What am I doing wrong? I'm opening with gun to get multipliers, busting out Wonderful Whatevers when I can, and making a point of hitting anyone who's dazed, but nothing ever seems to satisfy the god drat mother loving combo criteria! Any advice?

(in other complaining news, checkpoints in this game are now certified inconsistent and occasionally terrible. The last three ranked fights in Operation 003-A are all one checkpoint, for chrissakes! Retrying the first fight in a mission kicks you out to the title. Most checkpoints are right after the previous fight, not right before the current one. Etc.)

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Fedule posted:

More questions!

What is the deal with combos? I cannot get good combo scores reliably. I'm playing through early operations again (on Hard mode) and while most things have clicked and I am flattening motherfuckers and never getting hit, my combo medals frequently come back bronze or null. What am I doing wrong? I'm opening with gun to get multipliers, busting out Wonderful Whatevers when I can, and making a point of hitting anyone who's dazed, but nothing ever seems to satisfy the god drat mother loving combo criteria! Any advice?

(in other complaining news, checkpoints in this game are now certified inconsistent and occasionally terrible. The last three ranked fights in Operation 003-A are all one checkpoint, for chrissakes! Retrying the first fight in a mission kicks you out to the title. Most checkpoints are right after the previous fight, not right before the current one. Etc.)

I found later in the game that for some reason you start to deal a lot more damage. The trick is to use the smallest morphs you can (10 or 20 man at most), and just try your best to deal as little damage as possible. Juggling is pretty good, never use your whip to throw an enemy, never throw a stunned enemy, etc. It's really just trying to minimize how much damage you do, at least that's how I felt while replaying the game.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Fedule posted:

Make sure you're not flattening motherfuckers too hard. It's a careful balance between your Time rank and your Combo rank. If you make your Unites really big because you want to do a lot of damage and get a low time, you'll get fewer combo points since you're not hitting the enemies as often. Combo scores tend to be more balanced around hitting enemies more times with smaller weapons, as well as juggling enemies in the air.

^^Or what he said.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
*sigh* I was afraid that's what you guys would say.

Why? Why would you do that? Why would you ever make not obliterating the enemy in the most efficient possible manner the optimal strategy? I thought at least you'd get a bigger combo bonus for doing more damage at a time, for exactly that reason.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Because you gotta do cool combos WHILE you're murdering dudes, it's gotta be stylish! While satisfying in it's own way, just obliterating a dude in one shot isn't all that fancy after a while.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Because you gotta do cool combos WHILE you're murdering dudes, it's gotta be stylish! While satisfying in it's own way, just obliterating a dude in one shot isn't all that fancy after a while.

One Punch Man disagrees. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

Why? Why would you do that? Why would you ever make not obliterating the enemy in the most efficient possible manner the optimal strategy? I thought at least you'd get a bigger combo bonus for doing more damage at a time, for exactly that reason.

Because "obliterating the enemy in the most efficient possible manner" is usually rarely the point of these games. You're rewarded for variation and mixing up your moves and trying different things.

Again, this isn't even exclusive to Platinum Games. Batman: Arkham Asylum rewards you more for using variation and different moves too.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The whole plot is him agreeing so no, you're wrong. :colbert:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Fedule posted:

That's funny because the DmC remake did it based on damage and people disliked that :v:

Though seriously, I like the system because it makes me have to play smart instead of just steam rolling through the game. Sure, I could just make a giant fist and one hit all the enemies and get a lower score, or I could actually have some fun, do combos and play well, and get a pure platinum. I find the latter part to be much more entertaining.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fedule posted:

Trying not to echo what's been said, but the game isn't about beating enemies - they're not really there to kill you (though they will if permitted)), they're there to let you show off. You could, hypothetically speaking, call in an air strike or throw an enemy in front of a train and kill them outright, this sort of game is far more interested in players who let them stick around just to have fun knocking them into the air to combo them and sling them around the room while hopping over and off of enemies impotently swinging their swords in your general direction.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ImpAtom posted:

Because "obliterating the enemy in the most efficient possible manner" is usually rarely the point of these games. You're rewarded for variation and mixing up your moves and trying different things.

Again, this isn't even exclusive to Platinum Games. Batman: Arkham Asylum rewards you more for using variation and different moves too.

That's just the thing, though! I am using variation! I am mixing up moves! I'm almost always mixing up Gun, Fist, Sword, [black thing] and either of the other things as necessary, always breaking out the special moves whenever possible, reflecting things, dodging things, countering things. Nothing is dying in a single hit (especially not in hard mode) but the whole thing is one big long combo threading together all the different elements. On top of that, they've already set up a risk/reward system with Unite sizes anyway, where going all-in on a 100 man morph means you get screwed if it breaks and you've got no guards to take smaller hits but the payoff is the big damage. Shouldn't engaging with this system, on top of everything else, be rewarded? I thought the whole point of going with the points/multiplier system instead of just counting hits is so you wouldn't have to draw fights out just for the sake of building up an arbitrary number of hits?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

That's just the thing, though! I am using variation! I am mixing up moves! I'm almost always mixing up Gun, Fist, Sword, [black thing] and either of the other things as necessary, always breaking out the special moves whenever possible, reflecting things, dodging things, countering things. Nothing is dying in a single hit (especially not in hard mode) but the whole thing is one big long combo threading together all the different elements. On top of that, they've already set up a risk/reward system with Unite sizes anyway, where going all-in on a 100 man morph means you get screwed if it breaks and you've got no guards to take smaller hits but the payoff is the big damage. Shouldn't engaging with this system, on top of everything else, be rewarded? I thought the whole point of going with the points/multiplier system instead of just counting hits is so you wouldn't have to draw fights out just for the sake of building up an arbitrary number of hits?

If you're really using a lot of variation and different moves and whatever, you would be getting platinum. It really isn't that hard to do so and most of the scoring mechanisms for hits are really forgiving.

I mean I know that sounds dickish but it's true. You can even see it in Chip's videos. Aside from a few weird fights it's really easy to get Platinum on a regular basis just by fighting normally, even with big Unite Morphs. Are you stunning enemies and knocking them into the air and such? Air combos and stunning enemies is a really big factor in getting a good combo score.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 20, 2014

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I haven't played in awhile (that will probably change soon) but from what I remember about the combat is that hitting things with unite morphs increases your multiplier. The things that get you actual points to be multiplied are things like dazing enemies, hitting enemies that are in the air and using specific unite moves like rising or stinger.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Spamming multi-morphs can be really helpful as well as making sure you have people climb attacking for the increased battery recharge.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ImpAtom posted:

If you're really using a lot of variation and different moves and whatever, you would be getting platinum. It really isn't that hard to do so and most of the scoring mechanisms for hits are really forgiving.

I mean I know that sounds dickish but it's true. You can even see it in Chip's videos. Aside from a few weird fights it's really easy to get Platinum on a regular basis just by fighting normally, even with big Unite Morphs. Are you stunning enemies and knocking them into the air and such? Air combos and stunning enemies is a really big factor in getting a good combo score.

I'll throw out a Rising now and then and if they go up I'll follow - but I don't juggle everyone (not actually sure what things guarantee that you can do it).

The only really big thing I'm not making a point of always trying to do is Multi-Morphs. I guess those would be a good way of racking up a large number of hits...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

I'll throw out a Rising now and then and if they go up I'll follow - but I don't juggle everyone (not actually sure what things guarantee that you can do it).

This is a big problem right here. Special moves and air combos are what earn you points. Multi-morphs are great for racking up hits too, of course, but doing so in the air or using Stinger or the other special moves is a great way to earn points.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Chip and Ironicus related: No no no no no!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muRIfCUvUMk

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dr. Buttass posted:

I had this game as a kid and I was terrible at it. I'd generally last long enough for him to brand me "PENCIL-NECK", then die when I'd miss a turn and hit a dead end.

Hell, I had it as an adult (still do), and it was bloody fragging impossible. Until that one run, that one night...

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
Fedule, are you paying attention to the combo stats in the upper left? It takes a lot of practice to manipulate your combo score, and those little numbers are the only feedback you get.
What I suspect might be happening is that you're waiting just a bit too long between attacks. Because of the multiplier system, letting your combo run out will usually ruin your score.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Captain Bravo posted:

One Punch Man disagrees. :colbert:

Consecutive normal punches :colbert:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
ignore this

Neruz fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 20, 2014

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013

Fedule posted:

This is the key to getting Platinum combo scores. Each hit while in the air gets you 100 pts. and the enemy cannot fight back.
Your ultimate goal in a fight is to maximize the amount of time the enemy is in the air, which you can do in a number of ways one of which is demonstrated in this video:

:siren:Warning: Spoils a future enemy:siren:
http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dbya_kIINBfQ

Fedule also posted:

On top of that, they've already set up a risk/reward system with Unite sizes anyway, where going all-in on a 100 man morph means you get screwed if it breaks and you've got no guards to take smaller hits but the payoff is the big damage. Shouldn't engaging with this system, on top of everything else, be rewarded?

It is worth it to use a large unite morph when there are a lot of smaller enemies like the Dough-Goos or if it does not deal much damage to an enemy (like a boss for example). This reduces the time wasted in the fight. Typically, you want to get rid of the smaller enemies in a fight first then concentrate on the one or two larger enemies.
Also, a larger unite morph is the only way to launch certain large enemies.

In fact, you should watch all of Saur's videos on W101.
But here's another video where he goes into detail on the combo system:

:siren:Warning: Spoils future enemies, Unite Morphs and other stuff:siren:
http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCVE-mN6WYy4

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Good, good. I came across Saur's videos but I don't think I picked up that this stuff was so good for combo score, I just thought it was an overly stylish (and safer) way of dealing with enemies.

Here's something else in the meantime: Is there any way to get the game to remember who you choose as your leaders between missions? I'm getting a bit tired of having to change them from the Colour people all the time.

Oh, and here's another something else. Is there a guideline for what things can be Hero Counter'd, like how Guts only works against blunt attacks etc?

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
Perhaps you could take this to Games or GameFAQs or something.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Reckon I'm more likely to get better, faster answers here.

E: Also, for real, the only "complete" FAQ on GameFAQs is full of mistakes, ambiguity and outright lies. The "collectible" FAQ is a bit better but not very useful when you want to comb through a level since it's not organized that way. I was hoping there'd be a decent W101 Wikia since that's basically what Wikia is for but that's full of holes too.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 20, 2014

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Yes but this is a LP thread not a general game thread create one in Games or shut up.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Instead of telling people to shut up here's the link to the thread in Games

It's not a bad thing to talk in there about it :shobon:

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Fedule posted:

Good, good. I came across Saur's videos but I don't think I picked up that this stuff was so good for combo score, I just thought it was an overly stylish (and safer) way of dealing with enemies.

Here's something else in the meantime: Is there any way to get the game to remember who you choose as your leaders between missions? I'm getting a bit tired of having to change them from the Colour people all the time.

Oh, and here's another something else. Is there a guideline for what things can be Hero Counter'd, like how Guts only works against blunt attacks etc?

I went ahead and answered these in the Games thread.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012
Oh, the glorious gaming mastery. If only I was so grossly talented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

Episode 6: No Wiggling.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download

Wonderful One drawings will be up later!

• Locked thread