Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

Thread art by HelloWinter

The Wonderful 101 is Wii U exclusive crazy action game by Platinum Games that follows the adventures of a group of 100 super heroes that have the power to combine into giant weapons and fight aliens. This game is Hideki Kamiya's most recent release, his previous game being the highly regarded Bayonetta. Kamiya has made tons of great games in the past, including Resident Evil 2, the original Devil May Cry, Okami, and of course, Viewtiful Joe.

The Wonderful 101 is the spiritual successor to Viewtiful Joe. While it plays vastly different from any of Platinum's other action games, it still holds a lot of concepts and mechanics that will seem familiar to those who have played their games before. I am really excited to show this game off since very few people bought it due to 1) it being a niche game already and 2) being a niche game on the Wii U. This game features some pretty deep combat that unfortunately has an incredibly steep learning curve, and I aim to help people learn how to actually play this crazy thing. I should point out that this game is also nothing like Pikmin.

OUR PREVIOUS PLATINUM GAMES LPs:
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

:siren:THREAD ADVICE:siren:
1) I would really appreciate it if people keep future plot points/bosses/set pieces unspoiled, because this game is even crazier than Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance was.
2) Be very, very careful watching these videos if you watch them directly on Youtube. The most popular videos on Youtube for this game are related to the final boss and a few other boss fights, and they pop up in the related videos section all the time. Remember how crazy the final boss of Renvegeance was? This game's even better.
3) This game has a ton going on visually, and Youtube's encoder doesn't take kindly to it. Every video will have a link to download a much higher quality video if the Youtube version isn't cutting it for you.

:siren:VIDEOS:siren:
Uncut Commentary Playlist Cut Commentary Playlist

Episode 1-1: 100 Rangers.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 1-2: Unite Morph!.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 2-1: Project Stinger.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 2-2: Rock Hard Sports.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 3-1: Dude.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 3-2: G.E.A.T.H.J.E.R.K......Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 4-1: Tables Turn.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 4-2: Rules of Nature.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 5-1: Choco-La-La Land.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 5-2: Belmont Alloy.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 6: No Wiggling.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 7: Surfboard.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 8-1: Ukemi.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 8-2: Toilet Snake.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 9: Soup to Go.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 10: Organ Trail.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 11-1: Ned Douglas.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 11-2: Bark Bark.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 12-1: Juice.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 12-2: Immorta.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 13: Rascal.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 14-1: The 8-Bit Enchanter.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 14-2: Pro Strats.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 15-1: Orb Lord.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 15-2: Cube.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 16: Revengeance.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 17: Sushi 'n' Grits.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 18-1: Intertwined.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 18-2: The Comet Rhullo.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 19: The Little Prince.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 20-1: Battle Damage.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 20-2: Big Wiggly.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 21: Itty-Bitty Invader.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 22: Heat Vision and Jack.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 23: Christopher Garfield.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 24: Mother Platinum.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 25: Justice Arrow.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 26: Jerk Matter.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 27: 200%.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 28-1: Chi-Q.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 28-2: The End.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download
Episode 29: Ask Your Mom.....Baldurdash.....Download

Chip Cheezum fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Whenever an update includes new Wonderful Ones, drawings including their backstory (minus any spoilers for the main ones) will be added to the gallery. A big thanks to HelloWinter for doing all of the video/thread art for this LP!

Chip Cheezum fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 14, 2014

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Been looking forward to this one!

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Been looking forward to this one ever since you posted that first tutorial video.

One thing probably worth mentioning is that a lot of the GEATHJERK troops and a lot of the terms related to them are Japanese words turned into romaji (English phonetic translations of each syllable) and then screwed with to be less obviously Japanese. Usually the Japanese meaning fits a lot with what that thing does in the game.

Dough-Goo - dōgu - 道具 - tool, device, etc.
Chew Dough-Goo - chūdōugu - 中道具 - chū means medium, implying merely that they're slightly larger than regular dough-goos.
Gatcha - gacha - ガチャ - A Japanese tern for one of those capsule machines, taken from the English term 'got ya'. I...probably didn't need to explain that.
Diedough-Goo - daidōgu - 大道具 - Same as before, but dai means big, great, etc.
Kahkoo Regah - kakuriga - 隔離が - Kakuri means hidden, but I'm not entirely sure what the 'ga' part is. It could be a transitive particle, as in 'to be hidden', but I don't know.

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 22, 2014

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
You are a miracle and a half, Chip. I can't wait for more episodes of this thing.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
:holy:

drat, you really wanted to get this thread out ASAP, didn't you, Chip? Well, can't say we weren't waiting feverishly for this LP, either. Looking forward to slamming my head into the wall over not being able to get a WiiU and trying this for myself.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I have been waiting for this LP forever

I'm so excited, this is the best game of last year hands down :allears:

Nuckelavee
Feb 25, 2014
Awww yes. Timezone differences are normally a massive pain, it worked out this time though.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Awesome, this should be great. Hopefully it'll be the thing to get me to go back and finish this game, it seemed really awesome but I only got a few levels in for any number of reasons.

bucketcapacity
Jan 20, 2011

Hey, It's not that late to be up...

I was planning on playing this game eventually, but I guess a few videos won't hurt. Besides, you taught me some things about Revengeance, so this will probably be to my benefit.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Something about this game never clicked with me, but I'm hoping your LP can get me to give it another shot. Excited to see you be way better at it than I was at least!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Man, everyone seems to be in here and drooling over the game/LP already. I know nothing at all about this one, so I'll be interested to see if it lives up to the impressions I've been getting from people's posts.

I have to say that four episodes to kick things off with and art by HelloWinter at the very start of the thread is putting a drat good foot forward. :)

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Woo! Been wanting to see this game properly for ages. :suspense: Definitely not disappointed, the VO is so delightfully cheesy. :allears:

Something about this game makes other playthroughs on youtube either painfully terrible ( Never realized so many people had problems with drawing lines and circles :downs: ), or the person playing them has diarrhea of the mouth and brain making them unwatchable. :smithicide:

bucketcapacity
Jan 20, 2011

Timmy Turner and kid Luka's voice actress also plays Paz in Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes. Tara Strong is in everything these days and you can't escape her.

bucketcapacity fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 22, 2014

QuetzaDrake
Sep 11, 2011

So lonely.
I've been wanting to see this game played (lacking the excess funds for a Wii U), and I can't think of better people to play this game than you guys, after the Revengeance thread. Definitely looking forward to gettin' all thee sicknasty tips.

taerfu
Oct 7, 2013
Loved this game, looking forward to seeing anything I missed.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014
Just gonna add my excitement with everybody else. Been looking forward to this since that short stream you did.

I'm still amazed you got it out so quick.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
So a little thing about the enemy items you can pick up. You actually have the ability to control if any enemy drops an item or not. When an enemy gets beamed in, they have a glow right before they spawn that is a specific color. If you kill the enemy with the weapon that is the same color, it will then drop an item for you to use. If look at the first item drop Chip had, the enemy glowed red before it spawned, and when he killed it with a fist, it dropped the item. The other enemy glowed a different color then the one Chip killed it with, so no item was dropped.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oh hell yes I have been waiting so long for this! I just picked up this game last week, having gotten a Wii U 2 weeks ago so I've really been looking forward to this so I could get better at this game! Also, as someone relatively inexperienced with this game, holy gently caress these missions are really loving long.

bucketcapacity posted:

Timmy Turner and kid Luka's voice actress also plays Paz in Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes. Tara Strong is in everything these days and you can't escape her.

Luka is actually voiced by Debi Derryberry, who is best known as the voice of Jimmy Neutron and was also Matt Helms from No More Heroes 2. :eng101:

And just for a fun fact, Wonder Red is voiced by Charlie Schlatter (is that how it's spelled?) who appeared in another C&I LP as Major Raikov.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 22, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So you mentioned that Wonder-Oracle is from Babylon, and I noticed that Wonder-Kungfu is from Peking. Is there any significance to using destroyed ancient cities/outdated names of cities?

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Well, I should probably go buy a Wii U tomorrow. After seeing this game in action, I'm convinced.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Darn, I'm out of town at the moment. Can't wait to get home and start watching, TW101 is one of my favorite Wii U games, and I've been awaiting this LP ever since your demo video. I still haven't completed that game, though!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Man, looks like you're putting even more effort into this LP than you usually do, which is almost unbelievable. Looking forward to putting my feet up and watching how magnificent this game truly is.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
This will be the most hot-blooded LP ever. Watching Chip go full sentai will be fantastic.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Go to bed, but also don't stop uploading episodes.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

A tip for people who want to avoid youtube spoilers: Add i1.ytimg.com to your adblock plus filter. No more preview images yay

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Uh... I hope it is just a design thing, but in the holo-globe, I'm noticing sizable chunks of land not being in the continents... or has there been a horrible thing that's happened to Earth?

Edit - Whoops. Goes to show I should actually watch the WHOLE drat video before making comments like this.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I never even heard of this game and it looks amazing.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

WeaponBoy posted:

One thing probably worth mentioning is that all of the GEATHJERK troops and a lot of the terms related to them are Japanese words turned into romaji (English phonetic translations of each syllable) and then screwed with to be less obviously Japanese. Usually the Japanese meaning fits a lot with what that thing does in the game.

Kahkoo Regah - kakuriga - 隔離が - Kakuri means hidden, but I'm not entirely sure what the 'ga' part is. It could be a transitive particle, as in 'to be hidden', but I don't know.

Dogū, hence the eyes, and kakurega (隠れ家); hideout.

Also Cough-Foon: Kofun

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yes!

I've been looking drat forward to this.

So drat forward.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Picked this game up a couple months ago and while I managed to stumble my way through normal, some of the different playstyle sections gave me some real problems (most of the stuff that didn't involve running around beating the crap out of everything). I found your Revengeance LP to be incredibly helpful and instructive, so I'm looking forward to learning how to handle this game better. Even these early stages have crap I haven't seen, I had no idea there's stuff hidden in the windows!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
This game looks amazing! Along with the Mario 3D World game it makes me really sad I don't have a big enough screen to play TV consoles on anymore.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Adding my voice to the chorus of people saying they've been really looking forward to this. I really need to go back and do the rest of the postgame stuff myself one of these days.

WeaponBoy posted:

Been looking forward to this one ever since you posted that first tutorial video.

One thing probably worth mentioning is that a lot of the GEATHJERK troops and a lot of the terms related to them are Japanese words turned into romaji (English phonetic translations of each syllable) and then screwed with to be less obviously Japanese. Usually the Japanese meaning fits a lot with what that thing does in the game.

Chew Dough-Goo - chūdōugu - 中道具 - chū means medium, implying merely that they're slightly larger than regular dough-goos.
Gatcha - gacha - ガチャ - A Japanese tern for one of those capsule machines, taken from the English term 'got ya'. I...probably didn't need to explain that.
Diedough-Goo - daidōgu - 大道具 - Same as before, but dai means big, great, etc.

Dough-Goo's are actually named after 土偶 (Doguu), ancient Japanese clay dolls which their designs are based on. Also, Kahkooregah comes from 隠れ処 (kakurega), meaning hiding place or refuge.

Other Geath names so far:
Hoedown: 砲弾 (houdan) - cannon ball
Dahkarts: 蛇蝎 (dakatsu) - detestation, literally "snake and scorpion"
GEATHJERK itself seems to be a combination of 下種 (gesu, "low-life") and 邪悪 (jaaku, "wicked" or "evil")

bucketcapacity
Jan 20, 2011

Mehuyael posted:

This game looks amazing! Along with the Mario 3D World game it makes me really sad I don't have a big enough screen to play TV consoles on anymore.

You have a computer monitor, right? They make adapters that will allow you to hook it up to any gaming system you want.

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

Anyone else having an issue with video 2-2? I downloaded it and the video seems to be skipping the last minute or so.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ooh, I've been waiting for someone to LP this, and who better than good ol' Chip and Ironicus?

I assume the downloadable videos will have the uncut commentary as the first track?

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
Radical. This definitely became one of my absolute favourite games no more than two hours after I got it back when it came out, and I've been anticipating to the inevitable LP from you guys for almost as long. Looking forward to practically living in this thread for the next few months and using the LP as an excuse to finish up the collectibles.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

bucketcapacity posted:

You have a computer monitor, right? They make adapters that will allow you to hook it up to any gaming system you want.

Unfortunately the screen is too small I think.

Actually, does the Wii U use the Wii remote at all? If not then I could get one.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
I had pretty much zero interest in this game, but I'm loving these videos. The designs looking like little action figures make it feel like the crazy stuff you'd dream up while playing with your various random toys as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
Oh, hell YES. I have GOT to make some time to draw fanart for this thread as the LP goes on.
W101 is easily in my top 5 games of the generation so far.

• Locked thread