Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
http://www.amazon.com/Amplified-High-Definition-Antenna-Off-Air-Reception/dp/B0007MXZB2

If you're a little far out you might try a directional antenna. Only downside is you may have to re-point it when changing stations, unless all of your transmitters are clustered together (seems like they are pretty frequently)

e: no idea how good the one I linked is, it's just an example :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Is there a good easy to follow tutorial on setting up Sickbeard/SABnzbd/Couchpotato? I have an XBMC setup and a Windows 7 PC acting as a media server, but everything is manually downloaded at the moment. I'd like to be able to set and forget, if possible.

EDIT: Got my answer over at the Usenet thread.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 21, 2014

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Can someone explain Apple Airplay and Google Chromecast to me? I thought they would basically work like plugging an HDMI cable into my Macbook, but it looks like that is not the case. I really want to play things on my TV from my laptop wirelessly because I have rabbits that love to eat wires, but if Apple and Google are gonna be lovely or only let me stream certain things then I'm not gonna bother. I'll just buy 10 more cables off Monoprice and attempt to pay closer attention to my bunnies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

camoseven posted:

Can someone explain Apple Airplay and Google Chromecast to me? I thought they would basically work like plugging an HDMI cable into my Macbook, but it looks like that is not the case. I really want to play things on my TV from my laptop wirelessly because I have rabbits that love to eat wires, but if Apple and Google are gonna be lovely or only let me stream certain things then I'm not gonna bother. I'll just buy 10 more cables off Monoprice and attempt to pay closer attention to my bunnies.

You can stream almost anything to a Chromecast these days. If you're talking local video content, you can wirelessly stream your stuff through the Plex web app (requires you to set up a Plex server, refer to my Plex thread here if you're interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3620605) or you can stream local video content to a Chromecast directly off your MacBook using this Chrome extension/app https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/videostream-for-google-ch/cnciopoikihiagdjbjpnocolokfelagl?hl=en.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
After using the youtube app about 500 times on my Roku 3 I just now realized you've got the ability to pair it up with a youtube account essentially Chromecasting it. What I mean is you can load up a video on your laptop or phone and hit a "play on device" button (which is right next to the full screen button) and it will play on your tv. I know this should have been blatantly obvious but I apparently had tunnelvision.

Question about the FireTV. I know the Roku 3 is always on because it draws so little power in idle, but does the FireTV do the same or do you have to traditionally have to turn it on/off?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Verge says the Roku 3 is still the best

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/16/5903607/best-set-top-box

THE BEST SET-TOP BOX, BY A HAIR

ROKU 3

One word: content. The Roku 3 doesn’t win because of its sheer number of viewing options — Six-Gun Cinema and Spud’s Cliffhanger Collection probably won’t do much for you – but because it’s the only option on the market that actually has everything you’ll actually want to watch. It has Netflix and Hulu, Amazon and YouTube, HBO and Showtime, WatchESPN and MLB.TV, and so much more. Ultimately, you’re buying a set-top box because you want to watch something. The Roku 3 has more to watch than any other box on the market.

Each source exists as a "channel" in Roku’s system, and is easy to add and organize to the purple grid on your Roku’s home screen. It’s a simple interface to navigate, and it’s not the fastest box on the market but it’s never pull-your-hair-out slow. There’s even a handy universal search of sorts, which will show you all the places you can buy or rent whatever Keira Knightley vehicle you’re in the mood for tonight — and you’ll be surprised how often it’s available for free somewhere.

Sure, content is king, but it doesn’t hurt Roku’s case that there’s a lot more to like about the Roku 3. It has a headphone jack in its remote, which means you can watch on TV and listen on your headphones without disturbing someone working or sleeping behind you. The box can also function like a Chromecast, letting you use your phone or tablet as a remote and send things directly to your TV. There are a few ultra-basic games, which are entirely forgettable but at least a better idea than another episode of Hoarders.

The Roku 3 doesn’t just have one killer app, it has thousands — all the movies, shows, and videos you won’t find on any other box. It’s a tenuous lead, and Roku could be eclipsed by an equal library and a better feature selection or a faster interface, but for now it’s the best box for the most people. It’s the set-top box you should buy.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tyson Tomko posted:

Question about the FireTV. I know the Roku 3 is always on because it draws so little power in idle, but does the FireTV do the same or do you have to traditionally have to turn it on/off?

It goes into sleep mode after 30 minutes.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

The Verge says the Roku 3 is still the best

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/16/5903607/best-set-top-box

THE BEST SET-TOP BOX, BY A HAIR

ROKU 3

One word: content. The Roku 3 doesn’t win because of its sheer number of viewing options — Six-Gun Cinema and Spud’s Cliffhanger Collection probably won’t do much for you – but because it’s the only option on the market that actually has everything you’ll actually want to watch. It has Netflix and Hulu, Amazon and YouTube, HBO and Showtime, WatchESPN and MLB.TV, and so much more. Ultimately, you’re buying a set-top box because you want to watch something. The Roku 3 has more to watch than any other box on the market.

Each source exists as a "channel" in Roku’s system, and is easy to add and organize to the purple grid on your Roku’s home screen. It’s a simple interface to navigate, and it’s not the fastest box on the market but it’s never pull-your-hair-out slow. There’s even a handy universal search of sorts, which will show you all the places you can buy or rent whatever Keira Knightley vehicle you’re in the mood for tonight — and you’ll be surprised how often it’s available for free somewhere.

Sure, content is king, but it doesn’t hurt Roku’s case that there’s a lot more to like about the Roku 3. It has a headphone jack in its remote, which means you can watch on TV and listen on your headphones without disturbing someone working or sleeping behind you. The box can also function like a Chromecast, letting you use your phone or tablet as a remote and send things directly to your TV. There are a few ultra-basic games, which are entirely forgettable but at least a better idea than another episode of Hoarders.

The Roku 3 doesn’t just have one killer app, it has thousands — all the movies, shows, and videos you won’t find on any other box. It’s a tenuous lead, and Roku could be eclipsed by an equal library and a better feature selection or a faster interface, but for now it’s the best box for the most people. It’s the set-top box you should buy.

XBMC + a few choice addons has more content than any Roku.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

And is also difficult to install and set up, let alone support, for the majority of people. You buy a Roku, plug it in, and it works. XMBC, not so much. I spent hours setting my XBMC up (not to count building the HTPC) and the thing still is a pain in the rear end sometimes. Random lockups, not working out of sleep mode, sound issues, etc.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

berzerkmonkey posted:

And is also difficult to install and set up, let alone support, for the majority of people. You buy a Roku, plug it in, and it works. XMBC, not so much. I spent hours setting my XBMC up (not to count building the HTPC) and the thing still is a pain in the rear end sometimes. Random lockups, not working out of sleep mode, sound issues, etc.

Wouldn't most of the XBMC content be :filez: anyways?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Gozinbulx posted:

XBMC addons are poo poo. They are cumbersome, they don't always work.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
And there is no reason you can't own a Roku, a Chromecast and a decent XBMC solution with money left over.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Heners_UK posted:

And there is no reason you can't own a Roku, a Chromecast and a decent XBMC solution with money left over.

Not having money would be one reason.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Amazon fire tv without XBMC is perfectly stable and is basically a faster Roku with much less content. Amazon fire tv with XBMC is not very stable, but you can watch almost anything in the world for free.

geera
May 20, 2003
My wife and I are thinking about cutting cable, but would still like to have some kind of DVR and guide functionality for OTA channels, plus the usual apps like Netflix, etc. We have an Apple TV now and use Airplay all the time from our iPad. It kinda seems like the dream box for us would be an Apple TV / Roku 3 + OTA DVR. Does anything like this exist?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Wooty posted:

Cut cable first, wait a month, you'll have saved enough for all three.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
As far as DVR dunno. But OTA+ guide is coming to android tv for hdhomerun devices.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewforum.php?f=81&sid=bfcfac08ab5ef0343d24873f75dfe409

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

geera posted:

My wife and I are thinking about cutting cable, but would still like to have some kind of DVR and guide functionality for OTA channels, plus the usual apps like Netflix, etc. We have an Apple TV now and use Airplay all the time from our iPad. It kinda seems like the dream box for us would be an Apple TV / Roku 3 + OTA DVR. Does anything like this exist?

Sounds like what you want is the Channel Master DVR+. Which is a funny coincidence, because I was coming here to post to ask if anyone has experience with this box. When I first cut the cord, I got a TiVo HD Premiere for OTA broadcasts only. I cancelled it as soon as I could, because while it was nice to have, it wasn't nice enough to justify the 15/20 dollars a month. This box would be great, as long as it works.

http://www.channelmaster.com/Products_s/329.htm

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Wooty posted:

If you've had your Amazon account for awhile, you could be able to buy a Fire TV on a interest free payment plan. 5 payments of $19.80

I did that for my second one.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was able to install the Al Jazera English TV news plugin in no time flat, which is pretty awesome because it's normally blocked in the US (we get "Al Jazera America" instead), kind of like having BBC World in my XBMC. I haven't played around with the rest yet. Now I get world-class 24 hour news for free! I watched the israelis bomb the hell out of gaza live for about an hour on Friday night.

I'm not sure how hard it is to install XBMC elsewhere, but I was able to install it in about 5 minutes with three glasses of wine in me to my FireTV.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Sounds like what you want is the Channel Master DVR+. Which is a funny coincidence, because I was coming here to post to ask if anyone has experience with this box. When I first cut the cord, I got a TiVo HD Premiere for OTA broadcasts only. I cancelled it as soon as I could, because while it was nice to have, it wasn't nice enough to justify the 15/20 dollars a month. This box would be great, as long as it works.

http://www.channelmaster.com/Products_s/329.htm

I would agree with you on the Premiere but the Roamio is a huge step up and worth the money for OTA, 4 tuners, Netflix, Hulu+, Youtube, great interface, built in WiFi.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

XBMC addons are poo poo. They are cumbersome, they don't always work.

You must not have used them in awhile.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

You must not have used them in awhile.

I use an XBMC box everyday. They still dont have an addon system that can do more than list view type poo poo though one has been in the planning for version after version.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

I use an XBMC box everyday. They still dont have an addon system that can do more than list view type poo poo though one has been in the planning for version after version.

What? I don't understand what you mean by "list view type poo poo"

Try Genesis, by the maker of Go Movies and Go TV. There's almost nothing I cant watch on there and my non-tech savy family can use it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

What? I don't understand what you mean by "list view type poo poo"

Try Genesis, by the maker of Go Movies and Go TV. There's almost nothing I cant watch on there and my non-tech savy family can use it.

Im not saying there isn't a lot of content, im saying the addon system is very limited in what it can do. You cant do roku style apps on xbmc.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Oh. I was responding originally to the Verge article which said Roku is best because "content is king".

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Gozinbulx posted:

Since you can run plex on a roku I'm not sure what you're trying to say here

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

Oh. I was responding originally to the Verge article which said Roku is best because "content is king".

They probably mean legal content.

Horn posted:

Since you can run plex on a roku I'm not sure what you're trying to say here

He means you can't install pirated sports and movie stream addons with plex.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Three Olives posted:

I would agree with you on the Premiere but the Roamio is a huge step up and worth the money for OTA, 4 tuners, Netflix, Hulu+, Youtube, great interface, built in WiFi.

I would agree with you if I was starting from scratch. But the Roamio is 500 bucks with a lifetime subscription, which is a lot of up front cash to front when you consider I already have a box for Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc and therefore will never use that in the Roamio.

I will admit though, $250 is still a pretty steep price for the Channel Master DVR+, especially when you consider that you'll still need to add an external drive to it if you want to record more than ~2 hours. That's the main reason I haven't bought one yet.

EDIT: Wow, apparently the Roamio is 200 bucks for the hardware PLUS 500 bucks for the lifetime subscription. So take everything I said about it being too expensive, and bold it or something.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 24, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

Im not saying there isn't a lot of content, im saying the addon system is very limited in what it can do. You cant do roku style apps on xbmc.

I feel like a broken record but that's what makes the Fire TV so interesting. It has it's own appstore, you can sideload XBMC and you can sideload any android apk (even if it's a crapshoot whether it will work or not)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

OldSenileGuy posted:

I would agree with you if I was starting from scratch. But the Roamio is 500 bucks with a lifetime subscription, which is a lot of up front cash to front when you consider I already have a box for Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc and therefore will never use that in the Roamio.

I will admit though, $250 is still a pretty steep price for the Channel Master DVR+, especially when you consider that you'll still need to add an external drive to it if you want to record more than ~2 hours. That's the main reason I haven't bought one yet.

EDIT: Wow, apparently the Roamio is 200 bucks for the hardware PLUS 500 bucks for the lifetime subscription. So take everything I said about it being too expensive, and bold it or something.

Not much different, but you can get the Roamio for $150 on sale, and use PLSR to make it $400 for the lifetime subscription. So $550...I figure that I cut the cord with DirecTV in February, and my bill would be $70-80 a month. If I use it for two more months, it's paid for itself in what I would've spent for DirecTV.

If that rumored Dish "over-the-top" service comes as a streaming package for $20 though, Tivo would be crazy not to add that as an app. As it is, I'm surprised they haven't added the WWE app or Amazon Prime Video yet.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OldSenileGuy posted:

TiVo service is $14.95 a month, so $180 a year, lifetime is optional so what, over 2 and half years for lifetime to make sense? That's around the time I would consider a piece of CE hardware like a TiVo to be possibly reaching it's obsolescence anyways. But keep in mind what you are getting for that money, a really solid platform that TiVo has been pretty committed to regular updates to, a great interface, good guide data and pretty powerful search/recording capabilities where the best that can be said about the Channel Master DVR+ is it works as promised far as it's very limited promises and it has two fewer tuners. Also there are frequently discounts on the TiVo hardware if you wait around.

I would say having something super, super solid is worth it if you are trying to save money by cutting cable, like Silly Burrito said it's paying for itself regardless if you are cutting cable service for it. If you are trying to save every penny possible and are willing to deal with a worse product that's a legitimate decision but you are definitely getting a better experience if you fork over a fraction of what cable costs to TiVo every month over a new product with zero track record from a smaller company.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So this is the only thread I could find talking about Charter Communications so I guess I'll ask my question here. Every time I try to log in with my charter account info to view ESPN, HBO or Showtime on my PC its gives me this error message: Apologize for the inconvenience. We are working on this issue. Please try logging back after 24 hours. I have been getting this for a few months now. If anyone knows a better place to ask about this problem could you please point me in the right direction.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Rad Valtar posted:

So this is the only thread I could find talking about Charter Communications so I guess I'll ask my question here. Every time I try to log in with my charter account info to view ESPN, HBO or Showtime on my PC its gives me this error message: Apologize for the inconvenience. We are working on this issue. Please try logging back after 24 hours. I have been getting this for a few months now. If anyone knows a better place to ask about this problem could you please point me in the right direction.

Have you asked Charter? Perhaps cancelling your service is in order.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

r0ck0 posted:

Have you asked Charter? Perhaps cancelling your service is in order.

I just get generic we are working on it answers. Also to access those services I have to have a cable subscription. It's just an annoyance and I wanted to ask around. Not even sure if this is the proper thread for this discussion.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rad Valtar posted:

I just get generic we are working on it answers. Also to access those services I have to have a cable subscription. It's just an annoyance and I wanted to ask around. Not even sure if this is the proper thread for this discussion.

Did you try a different web browser? I had similar issues with HBO Go when I tried to use my Comcast account in Firefox, but I swapped to chrome and it worked fine

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Is there any set top box or smart tv that has a built in browser that does flash? Espn3 requires flash to load. The watchespn app that some boxes advertise won't work.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

angryrobots posted:

Is there any set top box or smart tv that has a built in browser that does flash? Espn3 requires flash to load. The watchespn app that some boxes advertise won't work.

Don't expect flash on anything new. Embedded flash was abandoned at 10.3.

Also my roku does all the ESPN channels just fine.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

angryrobots posted:

The Google TVs do but like Don Lapre said don't even bother, most of the sites that you would care about either block it or require a newer version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Don't expect flash on anything new. Embedded flash was abandoned at 10.3.

Also my roku does all the ESPN channels just fine.

Yeah, if my ISP/cable provider paid for watchespn I could stream all the channels too, but we are only allowed espn3 which absolutely requires flash, and a browser. Can't be accessed through the watchespn app because my provider does not pay for that, I've already talked to tech support about it.

I'm -assuming that this is a 'contract hasn't run out yet' type issue, and ESPN is once again changing the format of their online services, and this espn3 as a separate thing will go away. Doesn't help me at all for the coming college football season tho.